PDA

View Full Version : Cowher picks Jets or did he?

ETL
01-19-2011, 01:42 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/cowher_says_jets_will_beat_former_y2xbiQMi2LCUQsGa POX1bO

The New York Post printed an article with the title being:

Former Steelers Coach Cowher says Jets Will Win

But reading the article, here is what it says:

“I’ll tell you what, Pittsburgh may have some issues this weekend,” Cowher said in an interview on WFAN . “The way the Jets are playing, I’m telling you this is going to be a game, I think it will be a classic game, and I like the Jets. They made believers out of me with what they did. They match up well, I think it’s going to be a tough ballgame, but they certainly have all the ingredients to go to the Super Bowl.”

Did he really say the jets will win? I don't think he did.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
He said that he likes what they're doing and they have what it takes to get there. Pretty ambiguous if you ask me.

ricardisimo
01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
He picked the Jets. It's OK, because he's no longer the coach here.

Now if you read an article where Tomlin is picking the Jets, we can be worried.

Steelersfan303
01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Just need to pressure Sanchez and you will see many mistakes. Steelers can do that easily.

“I’ll tell you what, Pittsburgh may have some issues this weekend,” Cowher said in an interview on WFAN . “The way the Jets are playing, I’m telling you this is going to be a game, I think it will be a classic game, and I like the Jets. They made believers out of me with what they did. They match up well, I think it’s going to be a tough ballgame, but they certainly have all the ingredients to go to the Super Bowl.”

Foreign Alphabet
01-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Ha Cowher said "the jets have zero chance" (against pats). Just saying

PhantomJB93
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Im starting to just laugh at the NY media, they're all so arrogant, idiotic, and jump to conclusions. I mean I understand in that business you have to be edgy sometimes and say some controversial things to get noticed but they take it to a whole new, ridiculous level. Their entire media industry is a joke.

StainlessStill
01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Lmao, MINUTES after the Jets beat the Pats, the panel of Marino, Cowher , Sharpe and Boomer talked about how impressive it was and how the Jets have the tools to go to the Super Bowl.

Cowher gave his kudos, but then went onto say that the Jets haven't seen a defense like Pittsburgh's an they will truly be in for a ride! Flip floppin I see?

Pentheon
01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
^^^yea i saw that too...

regardless if he picks them or not I still got love for the guy, still a great coach.

but yea he didnt flat out say the jets will win, he just likes how they are playing and they are capable of going.

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Cowher also supported the Carolina Hurricanes against the Penguins in the ECF a couple years ago. I think we all know how well that turned out.

fer522
01-19-2011, 02:51 PM
hes been wrong before
and hes not our coach anymore
so if he picks the jets
that does not bother me

FanSince72
01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Cowher's comment was pretty non-committal...

sort of like his game planning was back in the "Martyball" days.

jev7452
01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
He picked the Jets. It's OK, because he's no longer the coach here.

Now if you read an article where Tomlin is picking the Jets, we can be worried.

:applaudit:

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
who cares who picks who. its nothing more then a best guess. nobody has ever or will ever pick every single game 100%

pghfrank62
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
If Cowher was the head coach they probably would win. His AFCCG at home record sucks

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
The panel picks on CBS on Sunday

You can bet Dan Marino picks the Steelers and Sharpe picks the Jets

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
The panel picks on CBS on Sunday

You can bet Dan Marino picks the Steelers and Sharpe picks the Jets

Ha, Sharpe. What a crybaby. Last week it was "the refs gave the game to the Ravens," and "the Steelers didn't win, the Ravens lost." Also, when Cowher was trying to make a point that Troy didn't play last time, Sharpe interrupted him like a toddler and said "well, um, well, the Jets just beat Manning and Brady back to back"

pete74
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
he can pick who he wants. his record is nothing great so its not like he always picks the winner

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
who cares who picks who. its nothing more then a best guess. nobody has ever or will ever pick every single game 100%

Well there was that octopus, but he died.

DFWSTEELERFAN
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/cowher_says_jets_will_beat_former_y2xbiQMi2LCUQsGa POX1bO

11:40 AM, January 19, 2011 ι By JUSTIN TERRANOVA
Bill Cowher has broken ranks.

The former Steelers coach and current CBS analyst was so impressed with the Jets’ win over the Patriots he said Rex Ryan's team will win again in Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship on Sunday.

To do that, Cowher said he believes the Jets cannot be deterred by the Steelers’ top-ranked rush defense that allowed 1,004 yards this season -- 437 fewer than the Bears, who ranked second in the NFL.

“(Jets offensive coordinator) Brian Schottenheimer has to be patient enough to run the ball against the Steelers,” Cowher said. “You may not have success, but that will slow down (LaMarr) Woodley, that will slow down (James) Harrison; that’s the best pass protection you got is getting those guys to respect the run. Shorten this game, if you can keep Ben Roethlisberger off the field like they kept Tom Brady and Peyton Manning off the field, that’s the best defense you have.”

The Jets upset the Patriots in the AFC Divsional round with a defensive scheme that puzzled Brady and New England’s offense. Cowher said he’s never seen Brady “more dumbfounded.” But it was the trash talk that Ryan and his team threw the Patriots' way that could have been the difference.

“There’s no question in my mind that the New York Jets got under the skin of the New England Patriots; you saw it the whole game,” Cowher said. “They were chippy, they were frustrated, all the talking got to them. I believe that. They lost the composure and I never thought I’d see a New England Patriots team do that.”

Cowher before the game said in a conference call with reporters that the mouthy the Jets had wakened "a sleeping giant” with all their talk.

KingsOfTheGridiron
01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Isn't that a good thing?

Pac
01-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Isn't that a good thing?

It was for us when he scoffed at the Jets chances last week. I hate these bandwagon jumpers... eff Cowher and his sudden revelation.

dcbng
01-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Isn't this the same BC that was cranking the siren for the Carolina Hurricanes two years ago.

Good, I am glad he picked the Jets.

Screw him.

And for the record, the Steelers won XL in spite of Bill Cowher.

KingsOfTheGridiron
01-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Isn't this the same BC that was cranking the siren for the Carolina Hurricanes two years ago.

Good, I am glad he picked the Jets.

Screw him.

And for the record, the Steelers won XL in spite of Bill Cowher.

Haha, when he was cranking that siren... that was classic. :toofunny:

SteelerEmpire
01-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Impressed "HIM" cause HE could never beat the Pats with Tom Brady in... I was 100% sure that Tomin would have taken it to them if we met in these playoffs... This is the "Tomlin era" .... not , Cowher.

HAWK
01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry Bill...I just can't see Sanchez surviving the full power of Lebeau's Dick.

steelers33
01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I think Cowher is still on the steelers he's just playing mind games with the Jets. Or I at least hope so...

lionslicer
01-19-2011, 10:36 PM
The team he usually picks loses in the playoffs, he picked the jets to win because he knows they'll lose now

but it amazes me how fast everyone turns on Cowher.

4xSBChamps
01-19-2011, 10:39 PM
keep in-mind that Cowher once took a #6-seeded team on the road for 4 consecutive games and won it all, something Jabba-the-Foot hasn't done:
he might-be speaking from experience

TRH
01-19-2011, 10:45 PM
I've listened to a lot of stuff that Bill has said since he turned "analyst"....and frankly, at times i wonder where his head at. I don't know since he coached Pittsburgh that he feels he needs to pick other teams over our guys so it doesn't make it look to others like he's always picking us, or what. But i don't care who he picks....he doesn't nail his predictions that often.
That said.....i liked Cowher as a coach and i like Tomlin....but i like Mike better and i think time will show that Mike is and will be the better coach

SeinfeldNut
01-19-2011, 10:51 PM
I respect Cowher for what he did for the Steelers organization & is a stand up guy, but thats why the games are actually played, we get to see what actually happens. Its his opinion and he is entitled to it.

toughsticks87
01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
I just don't see Sanchez lighting up our D.

SeinfeldNut
01-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I just don't see Sanchez lighting up our D.

Me either, he will be forced to go to a short passing game, no way he gets any of lose long completions he had against the Patriots last week.

MasterOfPuppets
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
# 1 analyst rule - pick the team that knocked off your pick the week before.

casteeler
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
How can the Jets D be compared to our Defense? Seriously? Sanchez has only experianced the D w/o Troy .

Merchant
01-19-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry Bill...I just can't see Sanchez surviving the full power of Lebeau's Dick.

:uhh:

Wallace108
01-19-2011, 11:28 PM
I think Cowher is still on the steelers he's just playing mind games with the Jets. Or I at least hope so...

Not playing mind games with the Jets, but playing mind games with the Steelers. We all know that the Steelers play better when they're the underdogs ... when everyone doubts them. When they're the favorites, they play like dogs. But when they have that chip on their shoulder ... look out. We know this. Cowher knows this. Nothing says disrespect like your former coach doubting you. What better way to fire them up?

LukesDad88
01-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Read what he said and not just the headlines or the papers poor interpretation of it. At no time did he "pick" the Jets (in fact he's not really allowed to make a pick until Sunday's pre-game). All he said was that he likes the Jets, he feels they did a great job, and that they stand a fair shot this Sunday. He also made this statement on a NY radio station. This rush to judgement is absurd, and is nindicative of how the media has manipulated the headlines to get their desired response for years. Read people.

Pac
01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Read what he said and not just the headlines or the papers poor interpretation of it. At no time did he "pick" the Jets (in fact he's not really allowed to make a pick until Sunday's pre-game). All he said was that he likes the Jets, he feels they did a great job, and that they stand a fair shot this Sunday. He also made this statement on a NY radio station. This rush to judgement is absurd, and is nindicative of how the media has manipulated the headlines to get their desired response for years. Read people.

errr no. This is pretty clear.

http://video.msg.com/Home/Bill-Cowher-WFAN-s-Boomer-Carton-on-MSG-1-19

Wallace108
01-19-2011, 11:49 PM

This seems pretty clear to me? :noidea:

The former Steelers coach and current CBS analyst was so impressed with the Jets’ win over the Patriots he said Rex Ryan's team will win again in Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship on Sunday.

tony hipchest
01-19-2011, 11:54 PM

meaning rex will win again like they did earlier in the year.

lets not forget the jets are 1-7 all time in pittsburgh which means its a shot in hell that they win twice in a row.

Wallace108
01-20-2011, 12:04 AM
meaning rex will win again like they did earlier in the year.

lets not forget the jets are 1-7 all time in pittsburgh which means its a shot in hell that they win twice in a row.
I know. I think Cowher is just trying to fire the Steelers up. Put that chip on their shoulder. Rex won't do it, so Cowher took it upon himself. :chuckle:

chitownpit
01-20-2011, 12:35 AM
I think the jets better worry bout stopping Rashard before thinking
bout running against the best run defense iv seen in 43 years
x Coach Cower . Did anybody see Rashard transform after he
fumbled and was yanked for little M ?
That man came back into game and with wicked passion. I think
Rashard and the Steelers run the ball this weekend. Yep,thats
right. Slam! Slam! Then 40 yarder to Wallace!:tt03:

SacknificentStew56
01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Cowher is allowed to offer his opinion like everyone else. Thanks for your input, Billy. Our guys know what's at stake and have been down this road before.

ruruthagame
01-20-2011, 11:15 AM
PLAY FOOTBALL

LukesDad88
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Nope. Only the part with marks around it is what he actually said. The sentence you highlighted was just how the newspaper was trying to interpret it. The blue is his actual words.

LukesDad88
01-20-2011, 11:25 AM
errr no. This is pretty clear.

http://video.msg.com/Home/Bill-Cowher-WFAN-s-Boomer-Carton-on-MSG-1-19

Drop the bucket. It's not saying what you think it does, nor what the idiot radio guy believes. Cowher says he likes the Jets and what they did. The host goes nuts believing Cowher picked the Jets, and Cowher corrects him saying "I'm talking about last week. Do you want to talk about this week?"

Pac
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Drop the bucket. It's not saying what you think it does, nor what the idiot radio guy believes. Cowher says he likes the Jets and what they did. The host goes nuts believing Cowher picked the Jets, and Cowher corrects him saying "I'm talking about last week. Do you want to talk about this week?"

In the grand scheme of things who really cares what Bill thinks but do you actually believe that nonsense? He was obviously joking... why would he like them to win a game they've already won?

Not sure what's so hard to grasp about this. He likes the Jets and picked them to win. Big deal..

Steelerfan58
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher doesn’t believe his old team will win the AFC Championship Game and make it to this year's Super Bowl.

During a recent interview on WFAN Radio in New York, Cowher picked the Jets to win their third consecutive road playoff game this Sunday in Pittsburgh, where he was the head coach for 15 years.

“Well, I’ll tell you what, Pittsburgh will have some issues this weekend,” Cowher said. "The way the Jets are playing, I’m telling you this is going to be a game, I think it will be a classic game, and I like the Jets.

“They made a believer out of me last week with what they did, I think they match up well. I think it’s going to be a tough ballgame, but they certainly have all the ingredients.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Bill-Cowher-picks-New-York-Jets-to-beat-Pittsburgh-Steelers-in-AFC-Championship-Game-012111

Steelrule
01-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Not that anyone cares but, include Tony Bruno on the Jets band wagon.

realdeal
01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
He just does't want Mike to get his second ring in 5 yrs!! It took jaw to get his only ring 15 yrs!! We should have had multiple rings with all the talent we had!!

F him!!

LukesDad88
01-23-2011, 09:57 PM
In the grand scheme of things who really cares what Bill thinks but do you actually believe that nonsense? He was obviously joking... why would he like them to win a game they've already won?

Not sure what's so hard to grasp about this. He likes the Jets and picked them to win. Big deal..

Hey Pac, as long as you're eating crow and whatnot.

jjpro11
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
he picked the Steelers before the game.. his "I like the Jets" words were taken out of context.

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
he picked the Steelers before the game.. his "I like the Jets" words were taken out of context.

Yep, I saw it with my own eyes.... Bill picked the steelers. This is all BS

HAWK
01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
^what he said