PDA

View Full Version : If Ben can beat the Jets defense, will he finally be elite?

lionslicer
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
The Jets defense has stopped Manning and Brady in back to back weeks. If Ben has a good game against the defense, does that mean he's better than Brady and Manning and finally be considered elite?

And if the Jets destroy Ben, does that make their defense legendary status?

Steelers>NFL
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
No, they will continue say what they been saying all along. Ben is a product of the Steeler's GREAT defense.
Anybody can win with that defense year in year out...

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Who cares as long as he's winning championships and keeping himself out of trouble, I could care less if he's considered elite. His numbers will speak for themselves when he retires.

lionslicer
01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Who cares as long as he's winning championships and keeping himself out of trouble, I could care less if he's considered elite. His numbers will speak for themselves when he retires.

I agree, I don't care as long as he wins, but it would be pretty insane if NFL fans just cant agree with reality

mcg24
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
The Jets defense has stopped Manning and Brady in back to back weeks. If Ben has a good game against the defense, does that mean he's better than Brady and Manning and finally be considered elite?

And if the Jets destroy Ben, does that make their defense legendary status?

If Ben wins a Super Bowl in his second year does that make him Elite? If Ben wins two Super Bowls in 3 years does that make him elite? If Ben can lead the Steelers down this field against the Cardinals and make a an incredible throw in the corner of the end zone to seal it, is he elite? Haven't all these questions been asked before? If Ben isn't already considered elite, I don't see how he ever will be, and I don't give a shit.

He's elite by my standards, and I couldn't give a damn what anyone else thinks.

Steelboy84
01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Ben W-L record- 78-31 (.715 win%)

9-2 postseason record (.818 win%)

2 SB titles

92.5% career passer rating (8th all time)

9-2 against arguably the second best defense of this generation, including 2-0 in the postseason (Baltimore)

Most regular season wins as a rookie-13 (2004)

Longest regular season win streak to start a career for a NFL QB -- 15

Most regular season wins as a starter in first five seasons (51)

Highest rookie passer rating ever (98)

tied for most TD passes in a MNF game (5 against B-more)

First QB ever to start first two seasons in a conference championship

Second quarterback in NFL history, along with Peyton Manning, to register three perfect passing games during the regular season, and the only quarterback to ever register two perfect passing games in one regular season.

Youngest starting QB ever to win the Super Bowl

Tied for most seasons with one or more postseason starts in the first five years in the league since 1960, with four starts.

2-0 against the Dallas Cowboys

Posted a .500 record (8-8) in his worst season

Most comeback wins as a rookie (5)

19 comeback wins (4th quarter/OT)

6 game winning drives (including SB 43)

31-7 against AFC North

2004 Offensive Rookie of the Year

2007 Pro Bowler

He's ALREADY elite.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
If Ben wins a Super Bowl in his second year does that make him Elite? If Ben wins two Super Bowls in 3 years does that make him elite? If Ben can lead the Steelers down this field against the Cardinals and make a an incredible throw in the corner of the end zone to seal it, is he elite? Haven't all these questions been asked before? If Ben isn't already considered elite, I don't see how he ever will be, and I don't give a shit.

He's elite by my standards, and I couldn't give a damn what anyone else thinks.

:applaudit::tt03:

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
That 31-7 record in the North is just bad ass, along with the 2 perfect passer rating games in the same season.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
"Elite" has only be a sexy media buzzword for a small handful of years now.

I was sick of the unnecessary over-use of the word then when it started. I am sick of it now.

Ben simply wins. "Elite" QBs are winning QBs. Ben already has the hardware and stats to show that he is in the "elite" category, regardless of what the talking heads at ESPN or NFL Network say. They can argue against it until they are blue in the face. He's accomplished more up to this point in his career than MOST any other QB in the history of the NFL.

You all can go by blow-hard, talking-head rhetoric. I'll let statistics and accomplishments guide my perception. :thumbsup:

Edit : Steelboy84 validated my point above.

Steelboy84
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
That 31-7 record in the North is just bad ass, along with the 2 perfect passer rating games in the same season.

And considering he's had a healthy offensive line for like 2 of his 7 seasons.

fer522
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
i dont think hell get any credit till he retires :noidea:

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 04:11 PM
i dont think hell get any credit till he retires :noidea:

Sadly, I think you are right. Ah well. Keep doing what you do, Ben! :tt03:

OX1947
01-19-2011, 05:55 PM
If Ben wins the next two games and gets the SB MVP, he will offically get the "elite" status everyone cares about so much.

4xSBChamps
01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I've been very disappointed in his off-field activities, because they caused 'distractions' (nod of the head to Chuck Noll) in '06 & '10, which brought a bit of disgrace to the organization I've loved all of my life, and those who anoint titles like 'elite' (the 2-faced rat-bastards in the media) have decided they will be very frugal with giving him any compliments:
if he keeps-on winning Divisional, Conference, and League Championships, those accomplishments can never-be denied

If Ben wins the next two games and gets the SB MVP, he will offically get the "elite" status everyone cares about so much.

I'd like him to be co-MVP with James Harrison, and have Ms. Goodell stand with them on the podium

Fire Arians
01-19-2011, 07:25 PM
at this rate ben will have to win 5 super bowls to get any respect, just because he doesnt pad his stats like douchebag manning

ben IS already elite. he wins games, he makes tough clutch throws in his sleep where most qb's would crumble under pressure. I've never seen anyone convert 3rd and long or 4th and long like ben does when the game's on the line, not even brady. And you can't say it's luck when he does this ALL THE TIME.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 07:33 PM

Right?

Who CARES if he is considered by the majority as elite?

Let them argue over that. Let's us... Steeler Nation... ENJOY every last minute of one of the great QB careers ever. Win or lose, Ben is a winner. (* - and accused rapist. that word sticks out for a reason. see: operative.)

(good place for a personal note: 7 has always been my lucky number as a Steelers fan. My fandom goes back to '90. I'm somewhat biased.)

Ben plays the QB position like none other today. This is probably why he has more success than most others today. He said it himself. He doesn't care about stats or personal awards... He wants championships. More of them. You know. More. Than he's already won.

F^%K elite. Stats are for pussie(cat)s. I'd rather have a winner.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2009/02/l109145-2.jpg

TRH
01-19-2011, 07:36 PM

2 SB titles

9-2 against arguably the second best defense of this generation, including 2-0 in the postseason (Baltimore)

Second quarterback in NFL history, along with Peyton Manning, to register three perfect passing games during the regular season, and the only quarterback to ever register two perfect passing games in one regular season.

Tied for most seasons with one or more postseason starts in the first five years in the league since 1960, with four starts.

31-7 against AFC North

2007 Pro Bowler

He's ALREADY elite.

this post is all that matters. Exactly. He IS an elite QB. What planet have you been living on?

sarahpalinhater
01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Ben is already elite. He's just not considered one of the " Pretty Boy QB's " that
the media fawns over. And he doesn't play in a system like the Pats-Colts-Saints, and Chargers that pass alot more, and look to pile on the points even in blow out games like those other teams do. But if Ben wins another SB title, after next season, he will have just as many SB titles as Troy Aikman, and more TD passes on 1400 ;LESS Pass attempts then Aikman. So, Ben will be elite, and a Hall of famer for sure as well.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-19-2011, 08:06 PM

2 SB titles

31-7 against AFC North

2007 Pro Bowler

He's ALREADY elite.

AMEN. Couldn't have said it any better.....

Curtain_of_Steel
01-19-2011, 08:29 PM
To be sure, lets just win the SuperBowl, lol

why leave any doubts at this point and make him 11-2 in the playoffs.

Third Rail
01-19-2011, 10:21 PM
I read two articles today that said that if Ben leads us to the Super Bowl and wins this year, he's a lock for the Hall of Fame. One of them even said that he might make the HOF if he takes us to the Super Bowl and loses. As far as I'm concerned, when analysts are talking about your eventual shrine in Canton and you're only 28, you're as elite as it gets.

Steelboy84
01-20-2011, 04:21 PM
He might have to win 10 titles at this rate. After all, to some of the NFL N folks, 2 titles don't matter. Hell, Aaron Rodgers is the new "golden boy" and hasn't even won a title!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I read two articles today that said that if Ben leads us to the Super Bowl and wins this year, he's a lock for the Hall of Fame. One of them even said that he might make the HOF if he takes us to the Super Bowl and loses. As far as I'm concerned, when analysts are talking about your eventual shrine in Canton and you're only 28, you're as elite as it gets.

Ben is really making a case to be the most underrated player of all time. Obviously if he wins a 3rd Super Bowl (putting him into an elite group of 5), he should become a Hall of Famer automatically. I'm just wondering what the excuse will be then if he pulls it off. Sure Ben might have one of the best defenses ever, but Brady had the most clutch kicker ever. And it's also worth noting he hasn't won a Super Bowl since Vinatieri left! In fact, Vinatieri got a ring on his own.

isunormalil
01-20-2011, 07:30 PM
No, because then the media will say the Jets were over hyped. Ben will never get respect.