PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward on Darrelle Revis: 'He can be beaten'

Deserei90
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY. Hines Ward may be the next receiver ticketed for Revis Island. But the Pittsburgh Steelers wideout has the confidence that he can muscle his way off of it.

Ward is likely to be matched up with New York Jets CB Darrelle Revis often during Sunday's AFC championship game.
Hines Ward

The two-time Super Bowl champion said that despite Revis' strong record of accomplishment, he's not intimidated.

"Can he be beaten? Yeah, he can be beaten," Ward said, via ESPN. "But at the same time he's one of those guys you don't want to mess with. If you make a mistake he's a game-changer.

"A lot of quarterbacks just stay a away from him. So as a wide receiver you can get frustrated, because you're not even getting looked at when he's covering you."

Ward had just two catches for 34 yards when the Jets beat the Steelers 22-17 in Week 15. He's part of a receiving corps that has several blossoming young players such as Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown.

What's his philosophy when being matched against Revis?

"For me, I just have to stay focused and not get frustrated," Ward said. "It's not about Revis against me. It's Steelers vs. the Jets. So I have to go out there and work my tail off to get open.

"He's one of the best cornerbacks in our league. He's probably the best cornerback in our league. I look at it as a challenge."

http://burgh.us/19n

TurkJetFan
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
good luck hines....

revis won't be locked up exclusively on hines like the last game...he'll be all over the field

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
good luck hines....

revis won't be locked up exclusively on hines like the last game...he'll be all over the field

Actually last game Revis started the game with the "all over the field" tactic, but the Steelers were having success moving the ball. Once he switched to just Hines, you could tell they were struggling a bit. If I were a Jets fan I'd want them to stick with what works the best.

TurkJetFan
01-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Actually last game Revis started the game with the "all over the field" tactic, but the Steelers were having success moving the ball. Once he switched to just Hines, you could tell they were struggling a bit. If I were a Jets fan I'd want them to stick with what works the best.

Wallace creates all sorts of matchup problems...Reality is no team has a guy who can go stride for stride w/ him all game...there are going to be some deep safety zone coverages regardless.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Wallace creates all sorts of matchup problems...Reality is no team has a guy who can go stride for stride w/ him all game...there are going to be some deep safety zone coverages regardless.

Who's your best coverage LB? Is it Harris or Scott?

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 03:39 PM

That spells trouble for Revis. Because guess who else will be all over the field? Wallace, Sanders, and Brown, all three of which are just as fast, if not faster than Revis on the field, suited up.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Brown and Sanders are both 4.5 guys and Wallace is just under 4.3 I think.

TurkJetFan
01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Cromartie is one of the most athletic CB's in the league, Drew Coleman shows flashes and our safeties have stepped it up big time...

I'm not concerned about getting burned vertically, because frankly it just doesn't happen to this team.

But I am concerned about that speed being utilized over the middle of the field in space...The Jets coverage has struggled there at times.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Cromartie is one of the most athletic CB's in the league, Drew Coleman shows flashes and our safeties have stepped it up big time...

I'm not concerned about getting burned vertically, because frankly it just doesn't happen to this team.

But I am concerned about that speed being utilized over the middle of the field in space...The Jets coverage has struggled there at times.

Yeah that's why I was asking who your best coverage LB's are. I think that's where we attack you guys is over the middle with Heath, Redman, Sanders.

bigchuck
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
cromartie is their fastest CB, if they match him with wallace and revis on hines we will have trouble moving the ball. the jets are a very good D overall. bens gonna have to rely heavily on his 3rd and 4th and even 5th reads

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
i'd prefer revis on wallace becuase he is a better WR but i think ward is too physical for cro's soft style of play. still i'd take my chances cause ward isn't gonna ever burn cro deep. wallcae can get on top of everyone

TurkJetFan
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah that's why I was asking who your best coverage LB's are. I think that's where we attack you guys is over the middle with Heath, Redman, Sanders.

Our LBs aren't stellar in coverage...not their strength...but I will say our DEFENSE has improved dramatically covering the big guys over the middle...

we are susceptible in the seam here and there but there haven't been big plays...we've been playing a lot of zone.

ricardisimo
01-19-2011, 04:30 PM
The Jets were very good all season defending the long ball, tied for 2nd place at giving up only 5 pass plays over 40 yards. But they were mediocre (tied for 17th) in their medium-range pass D; 48 pass plays over 20 yards. People are using their wideouts to stretch the field, but only just to clear some space in the middle for their tight ends and slot receivers.

Which means Arians will be calling for long bombs to Wallace all day long, and avoiding Ward and Miller altogether. :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
01-19-2011, 04:55 PM
If that idiot tries to do the long ball all day and ignore the slant routes and screen plays that will there for the taking, I am going to SCREAM. If they do the game plan correctly, Wallace and Ward WILL BE the 4th and 5th options and not the other way around. That would open it up later for Wallace because they have to cheat someone up to cover Sanders and Brown. Arians will keep the Jets close in this game. Mark my words. But STs is still the only thing that scares me. The defense is going to eat Mark Sanchez for lunch.

The Jets were very good all season defending the long ball, tied for 2nd place at giving up only 5 pass plays over 40 yards. But they were mediocre (tied for 17th) in their medium-range pass D; 48 pass plays over 20 yards. People are using their wideouts to stretch the field, but only just to clear some space in the middle for their tight ends and slot receivers.

Which means Arians will be calling for long bombs to Wallace all day long, and avoiding Ward and Miller altogether. :noidea:

bigchuck
01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
yes no DB is gonna play physical with hines ward, you wont see revis up trying to bump hines and cro is very soft physically. our WRs do create a lot of interesting match up problems with the jets DBs

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
If that idiot tries to do the long ball all day and ignore the slant routes and screen plays that will there for the taking, I am going to SCREAM. If they do the game plan correctly, Wallace and Ward WILL BE the 4th and 5th options and not the other way around. That would open it up later for Wallace because they have to cheat someone up to cover Sanders and Brown. Arians will keep the Jets close in this game. Mark my words. But STs is still the only thing that scares me. The defense is going to eat Mark Sanchez for lunch.

I'm pretty sure Brad Smith is playing, he practiced today. He scares the shit out of me on ST. I hope we squib it all night.

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
yes no DB is gonna play physical with hines ward, you wont see revis up trying to bump hines and cro is very soft physically. our WRs do create a lot of interesting match up problems with the jets DBs

revis will get physical with ward. he has a huge speed advanatge over ward and if he was manhandling muhc bigger stronger WRs like TO, andre johnson, and calvin johnson i'm sure he'll have no issue jamming ward all day.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Braylon Edwards. How does he get so open? :noidea:

YE2DCS1PnwU

SH-Rock
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Wallace did beat Revis so of course he can be beaten.

tony hipchest
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
good luck hines....

revis won't be locked up exclusively on hines like the last game...he'll be all over the fieldnot if they go with their bunch formation (which theyuse more than any team in the league).

thats how you shake someone like revis the easiest.

tanda10506
01-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I like Cromartie on Wallace. I like anybody on Wallace, he's just so damn fast that it's hard for anybody to match up. Revis on Ward is a good match up for the Jets, but Ward is a veteran and especially a playoff veteran. He knows where to run and when. Revis will do good against him but he's not going to just shut him down completely. No disrespect to the Jets corners, cause they are probably the best set of corners in football right now, but Cromartie held ALL DAMN DAY last game. If that happens again then who knows what we're in for.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm liking whoever Lowery is going to be covering, he can be had.

Steelers17
01-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Brown and Sanders are both 4.5 guys and Wallace is just under 4.3 I think.

Revis is NOT a sprint champ and has an unfortunate, lingering. slowly healing hamstring injury. Damn shame is it not!

BTW, Sanders has timed in the low 4.4's.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Revis is NOT a sprint champ and has an unfortunate, lingering. slowly healing hamstring injury. Damn shame is it not!

lol I was trying to be conservative with Brown and Sander, I didn't want to get flamed. lol

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 06:25 PM

where do you get that from. that never ever ever happened lol.

ricardisimo
01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure that's true. I'm pretty sure that every pass Ben through his way was while Cromartie was covering him.

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM

revis and cromartie both ran in the 4.3s

revis
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33896&draftyear=2007&genpos=CB
4.38 avg

cromartie
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=8269&draftyear=2006&genpos=CB
4.38 on his pro day

but i don't put too much stock in 40 times as cro is visibly faster then revis

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
i'd prefer revis on wallace becuase he is a better WR but i think ward is too physical for cro's soft style of play. still i'd take my chances cause ward isn't gonna ever burn cro deep. wallcae can get on top of everyone

Are you even being serious anymore? :coffee:

If Ryan is smart, which we all know he is, he wouldn't waste Cro's or Revis' speed on Ward. That would be dumb considering the threat of Sanders and Brown, Wallace aside. They're fast, sir. They run routes well. They have good hands. Jets' D will need its best resources to contain them. Wasting one of your two best CBs on Ward would bite your ass eventually. Not even sure how you mentioned him, other than to troll us.

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 06:39 PM
where do you get that from. that never ever ever happened lol.

Yeah, it was Cro that was on Wallace for most (if not all) of the game. It'll be interesting to see if they go that way again.

I do think even if Revis got put on Wallace though he'd get burned a couple times. And believe me, I do think Revis is great...but Wallace has some seriously killer speed. He's actually had to slow down a bit I think, because he used to always have to stop a little and wait for the ball to get to him (both last year and earlier this year). He was just to fast for the QB sometimes.

nycdan
01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Well a lot of this also depends on the rush. If your OLine can't give Ben enough time, those long fly patterns aren't going to be useful. I'm much more concerned about the crossing routes in the middle. The Jets did better against that last week by employing as many as 7 DBs on obvious passing plays.

As to the LBs...sadly, if Harris and Scott had a race, the sun would burn out before either one finished. They hit like trucks but can be beaten by fast TEs. Coaching is going to play a big part in that matchup.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Well a lot of this also depends on the rush. If your OLine can't give Ben enough time, those long fly patterns aren't going to be useful. I'm much more concerned about the crossing routes in the middle. The Jets did better against that last week by employing as many as 7 DBs on obvious passing plays.

As to the LBs...sadly, if Harris and Scott had a race, the sun would burn out before either one finished. They hit like trucks but can be beaten by fast TEs. Coaching is going to play a big part in that matchup.

Welcome to the board there, dan-no...

This is my biggest worry. Can the Steelers make-shift OLine manage to keep Ben upright enough to make enough plays to win the game?

They've been doing it all year to this point. Hopefully, they can keep it up.

The Jets D has a great pass rush.Against the Pats, they pretty much rushed 3 or 4 and dropped back to make Brady beat them (uh huh), But Brady has always been well-protected through his career. Ryan and the Jets' D knew this, and game-planned appropriately.

I'm pretty sure they're going to be blitzing a ton against Pittsburgh.

Ben really does like throwing downfield, right up the middle. If you don't have speed up the middle, it could be a long day for the Jets' D.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 06:58 PM

This is the match-up I look forward to the most as well.

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah, it was Cro that was on Wallace for most (if not all) of the game. It'll be interesting to see if they go that way again.

I do think even if Revis got put on Wallace though he'd get burned a couple times. And believe me, I do think Revis is great...but Wallace has some seriously killer speed. He's actually had to slow down a bit I think, because he used to always have to stop a little and wait for the ball to get to him (both last year and earlier this year). He was just to fast for the QB sometimes.

nope wrong answer. he had 2 catches for 30 yards with cro covering him and revis never covered him on a pass play. you picked on teh other CBs (coleman mostly) and had his other 75 yards on them. coleman is too slow to cover wallace. he's better on sanders. i'd put revis on wallace, cro on ward, and coleman on sanders. lowery is a safety now and will alternate with eric smith and pool in covering miller

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 07:20 PM
nope wrong answer. he had 2 catches for 30 yards with cro covering him and revis never covered him on a pass play. you picked on teh other CBs (coleman mostly) and had his other 75 yards on them. coleman is too slow to cover wallace. he's better on sanders. i'd put revis on wallace, cro on ward, and coleman on sanders. lowery is a safety now and will alternate with eric smith and pool in covering miller

Calm down killer. :chuckle:

I know Revis wasn't on him, just saying it would be interesting. I just couldn't remember if Cro was on him the whole game or not. I was pretty sure he was on him a bunch though...guess it wasn't as much as I remembered.

At any rate...I think we can all agree on this, there's a pretty strong possibility that they are not going to be able to blanket everyone for the entire game. WR's and TE's are going to get open eventually...and yes, possibly even against the great Revis. :chuckle:

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
nope wrong answer. he had 2 catches for 30 yards with cro

Nope. Wrong answer again.

2 catches (3 targets) for 32 yards. Or so said the last article I read.

That's 16 YPC and 67%; ~25% of is total accumulation that day.

IIII'LL TAKE IT.

Any real shutdown effort would have been at least 33%. :chuckle:

Just sayin'.

SteelerEmpire
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Didn't Randy Moss beat Revis with a one handed catch in the end zone earlier this year ?

Fire Arians
01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
b-b-b-b-b-but he's REVIS! :blah:

nycdan
01-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the board there, dan-no...

This is my biggest worry. Can the Steelers make-shift OLine manage to keep Ben upright enough to make enough plays to win the game?

They've been doing it all year to this point. Hopefully, they can keep it up.

The Jets D has a great pass rush.Against the Pats, they pretty much rushed 3 or 4 and dropped back to make Brady beat them (uh huh), But Brady has always been well-protected through his career. Ryan and the Jets' D knew this, and game-planned appropriately.

I'm pretty sure they're going to be blitzing a ton against Pittsburgh.

Ben really does like throwing downfield, right up the middle. If you don't have speed up the middle, it could be a long day for the Jets' D.

Thanks. What's odd is the Jets have not had a good 3 or 4 man rush most of the season. This was a new wrinkle that used coverage instead of overload to get to Brady. I have no idea if we'll see it again this week but I have to believe they will go after Ben in some way that doesn't allow him easy access to roll out.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Over playing Bevis justa bit are they?lol.

1 guys can't cover 3 speedster and slot wr. Let Revis shut down anyone of them each play, there is plenty to go around from BB.

bigchuck
01-19-2011, 08:45 PM

youd put cro on ward??? thats the worst possible match up for cro

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Nope. Wrong answer again.

2 catches (3 targets) for 32 yards. Or so said the last article I read.

That's 16 YPC and 67%; ~25% of is total accumulation that day.

IIII'LL TAKE IT.

Any real shutdown effort would have been at least 33%. :chuckle:

Just sayin'.

lol i was 2 yards off. and the fact that bens #1 WR and deep threat only got targeted 3 times while cro was on him shows he had great coverage. cro isn't a shutdown CB like revis but right now there is no CB you can label as shutdown other then revis. maybe champ still or aso but thats about it

Didn't Randy Moss beat Revis with a one handed catch in the end zone earlier this year ?

yeah, that was when he pulled his hammy. he was still working his way back into game shape. he missed all of camp in a holdout and had only been with the jets for 2 weeks prior to that game.

Over playing Bevis justa bit are they?lol.

1 guys can't cover 3 speedster and slot wr. Let Revis shut down anyone of them each play, there is plenty to go around from BB.

nope but we also got cro and coleman and lowery and wilson etc etc.

steelerforlife
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Here is what you do if the jets continue to drop extra to cover as they did to indy and the pats. Run, run, run some more, and then run even more. Mendy was productive in the last game and eventually the jets will have to commit to stopping the run. And then.......BOOM! Over the top! TD! BallGame!
:applaudit:

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 09:20 PM
lol i was 2 yards off. and the fact that bens #1 WR and deep threat only got targeted 3 times while cro was on him shows he had great coverage. cro isn't a shutdown CB like revis but right now there is no CB you can label as shutdown other then revis. maybe champ still or aso but thats about it.

No. You rounded down and you know it. :wink02:

And no. The fact is, Ben targeted him 2 out of the 3 times when defensive coveraged lined up that way. All other coverages accounted for another how many catches and yards? 5 and 70. That's a productive day. 7-102. Above average. Against an above average defense.

Shutdown corner = Ike Taylor. It is what it is, bro. Don't hate.

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
No. You rounded down and you know it. :wink02:

And no. The fact is, Ben targeted him 2 out of the 3 times when defensive coveraged lined up that way. All other coverages accounted for another how many catches and yards? 5 and 70. That's a productive day. 7-102. Above average. Against an above average defense.

Shutdown corner = Ike Taylor. It is what it is, bro. Don't hate.

lol cant wait for edwards to take him to the woodshed

KingsOfTheGridiron
01-19-2011, 09:35 PM
lol cant wait for edwards to take him to the woodshed

Edwards worries me. He played great last game and he's a bigger WR. Ike is a great corner but he will be tested in this game.

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Edwards worries me. He played great last game and he's a bigger WR. Ike is a great corner but he will be tested in this game.

Ike is a very good CB. well above average. i remember before we drafted revis the jets were looking into getting ike but the steelers put a 1st round tendor on him so the jets passed and took revis. also the jets tried for miles austin but the same thin happened and we traded for braylon instead.

BE can really take over a game at times and his size and leaping ability is truly amazing. not many WRs have his size/speed combo. only 2 that come to mind are megatron and andre the giant. also jets have 2 #1 WRs holmes is also a great WR but i don't have to tell you that.

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
One problem with Edwards is that he can be very hit-or-miss, though. Sometimes he's a factor, sometimes he's not. He also makes unbelievable catches, but drops the sure catches.

KingsOfTheGridiron
01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Ike is a very good CB. well above average. i remember before we drafted revis the jets were looking into getting ike but the steelers put a 1st round tendor on him so the jets passed and took revis. also the jets tried for miles austin but the same thin happened and we traded for braylon instead.

BE can really take over a game at times and his size and leaping ability is truly amazing. not many WRs have his size/speed combo. only 2 that come to mind are megatron and andre the giant. also jets have 2 #1 WRs holmes is also a great WR but i don't have to tell you that.

No doubt. Probably the best 1, 2 combo in the game.