PDA

View Full Version : Ben is okay with lack of respect

Steelboy84
01-19-2011, 05:02 PM
By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

Heading into his fourth AFC championship game, Ben Roethlisberger is not concerned with a perceived lack of respect.

The Pittsburgh Steelers QB said Wednesday that he'll leave the individual laurels and high profile to counterparts such as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning while he pursues a third Super Bowl title on Wednesday.

"It's OK for me," Roethlisberger said, "because I know that I'm probably never going to win a league MVP, a passing title.

"But that's not why I play the game. I just go out and try win football games, try to win championships."

Roethlisberger's Steelers host the New York Jets on Sunday in the AFC title game at 6:30 p.m. ET. He is one game shy of the Super Bowl just nine months after a Georgia prosecutor declined to press sexual assault charges against him following an allegation by a 20-year-old college student.

Roethlisberger served a four-game suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy at the start of the season (although he was never arrested or charged), but he returned to lead the Steelers to an AFC North title.

Is he concerned that he's had to rebuild trust with the fans in Pittsburgh, many of whom called for the Steelers to part ways with Roethlisberger last year?

"That's about the last thing on my mind now," Roethlisberger said. "It's about playing football.

"Anytime I can be around these guys and play the game I love it's an awesome thing."

The Steelers traded WR Santonio Holmes in April after Holmes was suspended four games for violating the league's policy on substance abuse. He was also accused of assault by a woman at a Florida nightclub. His cumulative troubles drew a public from team president Art Rooney II, followed shortly by the trade of the former Super Bowl MVP.

Does Roethlisberger think his troubles affected the Steelers' decision to part ways with Holmes?

"Well that's probably a question for the front office, I think," he said.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-ok-with-lack-of-respect/1

Steelboy84
01-19-2011, 05:03 PM
""It's OK for me," Roethlisberger said, "because I know that I'm probably never going to win a league MVP, a passing title.

"But that's not why I play the game. I just go out and try win football games, try to win championships."

And that's what separates him from the Rivers and Romos of the NFL.

TurkJetFan
01-19-2011, 05:17 PM
""It's OK for me," Roethlisberger said, "because I know that I'm probably never going to win a league MVP, a passing title.

And that's what separates him from the Rivers and Romos of the NFL.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but its probably because he's been accused of rape numerous times.

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but its probably because he's been accused of rape numerous times.

Your QB has been accused of rape too you know. :noidea:

TOOLofSTEEL
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2423430

Oh please. :rofl:

Gold diggers looking to make a quick buck have a habit of doing this. Even if they have no case or are making shit up(Duke Lacrosse). Just ask your boy Dirty Sanchez. :wave:

Steelboy84
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
What's with all these Jet trolls? You all coming out like a bunch of roaches.

siss
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM

Hey your has done something Ben hasn't, he was ARRESTED on sexual assault charges. They were dropped. But Ben was never even arrested.

LVSteelersfan
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
What a joke. Mark Sanchez was accused of rape as well. Tom Brady knocks up women and marries someone else. Steve Mcnair was killed by his mistress although he was purportedly a good "family" man. Ben being accused of rape and never arrested and convicted is different than what happened to Sanchez because Dirty was arrested. (THere I fixed it). Brady is just a pukehead. Mcnair was an idiot. Oh, and let's not forget Michael Vick.

mcg24
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Trolls from other teams tend to enjoy picking and choosing facts. Some facts they'd rather leave out. Really it is a great argument strategy, the only drawback is it just makes you look like a moron at the same time.

FanSince72
01-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Well Sanchez WAS a Trojan after all...

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 05:54 PM

:toofunny:

Ok...no more rape talk here (yes I know I added fuel to the fire). There's a whole thread in the smack section for that lol. (not directed at you FS72)

mcg24
01-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Now that was clever.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-19-2011, 06:04 PM
:toofunny:

Ok...no more rape talk here (yes I know I added fuel to the fire). There's a whole thread in the smack section for that lol. (not directed at you FS72)

I was typing that before I saw your post anyway. So even if you hadn't the thread was going in this direction. :hatsoff:

UMBC79
01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't see that Ben gets a lack of respect. I listen to ESPN radio a lot and other national sports shows like NFL Network, and he is usually mentioned as one of the top QB's, right behind Brady, Manning, and Drew Brees.

The Steelers are perceived as winning based upon their defense more so than the Colts, Saints, or Pats. That is part of the reason Ben is not put on the very top level, he is not seen as carrying the team like Manning or Brady does. There is some truth to this,the Steelers were winning without him when he was suspended this year. I'm sure the Colts would have lost 3 of 4, or 4 of 4, if Manning were not playing at the beginning of the year.

FanSince72
01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
From the "You've Got To Be Kidding Me" file:

When Sanchez was arrested for sexual assault, he was the backup QB to a guy named Booty.

(You can't make this stuff up!)

Sorry SCMom, but I just couldn't pass that one up.

(OK, I'm done now. I promise!)

HAWK
01-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Try this:

http://liten.be//n12kX

StainlessStill
01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Try this:

http://liten.be//n12kX

This is THEE greatest comeback I've ever seen. WELL DONE SIR!

Odd how the troll was never seen in this thread again:thumbsup:

Pac
01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
lack of respect???? the guy is one of the most hyped QB's in the league. Not to say he doesn't deserve it but the notion that he is somehow underrated is laughable.

HAWK
01-19-2011, 11:31 PM
It's the whole Brady/Manning effect. There's no room for anyone else. Unless you play for Dallas then that's different.

toughsticks87
01-20-2011, 12:18 AM
It's the whole Brady/Manning effect. There's no room for anyone else. Unless you play for Dallas then that's different.

Nothing made me happier (in non Steelers news) than Romo botching the field goal snap :applaudit:

scsteeler
01-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Yes Ben knows that He will most likely never get League MVP and that is fine Give Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Cutler, Flacco and many others the MVP &B Elite QB Status and Ben says he will just keep on Winning Super Bowls.

(Yes I know all of those Guys have not Won MVP) But after Brady & Manning these Guys are considered the next Tier of great QB's by a lot of the announcers.

wootawnee
01-20-2011, 05:24 AM
What's with all these Jet trolls? You all coming out like a bunch of roaches.

I told ya....Trolls everywhere......lookin for enquirer dirt......scumbags

mesaSteeler
01-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Roethlisberger Shakes Off Lack Of Respect
http://pit.scout.com/2/1040939.html
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Jan 19, 2011

Ben Roethlisberger won't admit it, but his teammates do: The lack of respect he's receiving -- in spite of all-time elite numbers -- is driving him once again.

PITTSBURGH – With Ben Roethlisberger enjoying a breakout season of sorts, many within the Steelers organization viewed these playoffs as a chance for their quarterback to get his due as one of the game’s elite.

The thinking behind the front lines a couple of weeks ago went something like this:

If the seeds hold true, Roethlisberger would have a chance to defeat Peyton Manning and then Tom Brady, the two quarterbacks considered the class of the league these days.

Alas, the New York Jets stole Roethlisberger’s thunder by taking that path themselves.

It set up an AFC Championship Game of physical defenses and alleged “game manager” type quarterbacks, and nothing makes Roethlisberger cringe more than the term “game manager.”

It came up when he was asked Wednesday to critique the development of Jets sophomore quarterback Mark Sanchez.

“He just makes plays,” Roethlisberger said. “People get on him a lot. It’s ‘run the ball and manage the game, Mark.’ No, to be a quarterback at that level, and do what he’s done, you don’t just manage a game. You play the game and do it at a high level, and that’s what he’s done.”

Sanchez must wear that label because he’s the rarity: a young quarterback in a big game. His coaches don’t ask much of him, nor should they. It’s how Roethlisberger was asked to play as a rookie in the 2004 AFC Championship Game and as a sophomore in the 2005 Super Bowl.

Problem is, Roethlisberger hasn’t been able to escape the “game manager” label, no matter how far from the truth it is these days.

One reporter saw through the words, saw the cringe on Roethlisberger’s face, and asked him Wednesday if it bothers him that he’s rarely listed with the game’s elite quarterbacks.

“No, it’s OK for me,” Roethlisberger said. “I know that I’m probably not ever going to win a league MVP, probably never going to win a passing title. But that’s not why I play the game. I just go out and try and win football games and try and win championships.”

But, still, Roethlisberger’s passing statistics are among the best of all-time. Here’s where Roethlisberger ranks in three of the most important passing categories:

* No. 8 all-time passer rating of 92.5 (just ahead of Joe Montana’s 92.3).

* No. 5 all-time yards per attempt of 8.04.

* No. 12 all-time completion percentage of 63.1 (just behind Montana’s 63.2).

Roethlisberger would never cite such numbers, nor would he ever admit that a lack of respect is driving him. But his top receiver will.

“Yeah, that’s probably what drives him,” said Hines Ward. “Look, all I care about is wins and losses. A quarterback who doesn’t have many more wins or Super Bowls, it really shouldn’t matter. The winning percentage speaks for itself. I doubt he gets caught up worrying about what people are saying about his style of play.”

Oh, right, the winning percentage. Well, Roethlisberger has that, too. He has the fourth best all-time winning percentage (90 or more starts) among quarterbacks in regular-season games. Roethlisberger is 69-29 for a .704 winning percentage.

He’s even better in the postseason when Roethlisberger is 9-2 with two championship wins. Only Bart Starr, at 9-1, has a better percentage among quarterbacks who’ve started 10 postseason games.

“He’s a winner,” Ward said. “He’s one ring behind (Tom) Brady and one above Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Regardless of how he does it, he’s still a Super Bowl quarterback. You can’t knock him.

“Is he unorthodox? Yes, but we know he does good things and does them well for us. I know every time we’re in the fourth quarter he’s not going to quit. We always have a chance to win games. I’ll take that over all of them. I wouldn’t trade him for any other quarterback out there.”

MDSteel15
01-20-2011, 11:38 AM

So is that the same as Dirty Sanchez when he was arrested for rape? :mad:

MDSteel15
01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
lack of respect???? the guy is one of the most hyped QB's in the league. Not to say he doesn't deserve it but the notion that he is somehow underrated is laughable.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE tell me you are joking!!!

ruruthagame
01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
AT THE END OF THE DAY,RINGS IS ALL THAT MATTERS../BIG BEN KNOWS THAT..

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Peter King of SI agrees with Jim Wexell that the lack of respect is driving Ben

I'll tell you who the rematch sets up perfectly for: Ben Roethlisberger. Though he's never said it, I've always thought Roethlisberger has felt dissed by those who: a.) didn't vote him MVP of the Super Bowl two years ago; and b.) don't include him in the Brady-Manning-Brees discussion of the best quarterbacks currently playing, despite his two Super Bowl wins at such a young age. I think this game comes down to Ben Roethlisberger making enough plays to his young triumverate of speed receivers -- Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. It says here Sanders is who everyone will be talking about come late Sunday night. The Jets will take away one or two of the wideouts (throwing Hines Ward into the mix) but not all of them, and I think Sanders, more and more becoming one of Big Ben's faves, will break away late to be the difference.

King is picking the Steelers - 23-17

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/20/nfl-championship-game-picks/index.html

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Damn that sounds eerily similar to what we have been telling our guests all week.

Steelboy84
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
On NFL N, the commentator said that since Manning, Brady, and Brees are out of the playoffs, they've "passed" the torch to Aaron Rodgers. Wow. Just skip all over Ben.............................

:mad:

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 05:13 PM
On NFL N, the commentator said that since Manning, Brady, and Brees are out of the playoffs, they've "passed" the torch to Aaron Rodgers. Wow. Just skip all over Ben.............................

:mad:

:rofl:I love it. I hope Ben sees that.

Steelboy84
01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
From 1980-2004, the Steelers defenses didn't drop off a lot. And they most times had a solid running game. They even went to a SB and a few AFC title games. But the QB position is always where they were lacking. O'Donnell was "okay", Slash had maybe 3 good years, and Maddox had a good year. Never SB caliber QBs though.

Enter Ben, and the Steelers win 2 titles in 5 years and are in another, yet ANOTHER AFC title game with Ben. But for some reason, there is a belief that Ben simply "rides his defense". Not taking anything from the defense, but you take Ben off the Steelers..................................

and they're still 4 time SB champs.

Steelboy84
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
:rofl:I love it. I hope Ben sees that.

It's ridiculous. At some point they have to give the man his due.

It was either Trent Green or Warner who said that I believe. When I heard that, I was like, really? I mean, really? Are they forgetting there's a QB STILL in the playoffs with two SB titles? Really?

Steelboy84
01-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Big Ben not given same recognition as other QBs

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 7 hours, 14 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH – Ben Roethlisberger and Terry Bradshaw seem destined to suffer the same fate.

No matter how many Super Bowls they win, they’ll never get respect for being central to that success. Call it the Steeler Syndrome.

“When you talk about the Steelers, it’s always about the defense, it’s never about Ben,” said Trent Dilfer, who helped the Baltimore Ravens win the Super Bowl in the 2000 season and now works as an analyst with ESPN. “To me, there are five truly great quarterbacks in the league right now: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. Aaron Rodgers is getting there, but he doesn’t have the championship pelts or, in Rivers’ case, some pretty impressive playoff performances in conference championship games.

“You can take those five and put them in any order you want one thru five and it doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t call anyone crazy no matter what order you put those guys in. You can justify Tom being No. 1, Peyton No. 2 and Ben No. 3. You can justify Peyton being No. 1. You can justify Ben being No. 1, in my opinion. But, for whatever reasons, Ben doesn’t get as much respect as the others.”

Said another former signal caller turned analyst, Rich Gannon: “It’s like when Bradshaw was the Steelers quarterback and people didn’t think of him as one of the truly elite. You talk about Ben and people don’t give him his due, but then you look at some of the numbers and they’re amazing. Then you consider that he has two Super Bowl wins already and getting close to maybe getting a third and you say, ‘Man, there’s something pretty special going on here.’ ”

Yet both men notice the same thing that happens whenever any member of the media dares to compare Roethlisberger with Brady or Manning. The emails or calls pour in with criticism about how no one in their right mind would ever dare to really think that Roethlisberger is as good as those other guys. Any appreciation of Roethlisberger on that level is almost seen as heresy.

Dilfer and Gannon isolated a number of reasons why Roethlisberger, in particular, doesn’t get the same level of respect as other top passers.

The Fantasy Football Effect
The growth in fantasy football has changed the perception of what is a great quarterback. Rather than being about how effective a quarterback can be in a given offensive system (and in concert with the way a team plays defense), the measurable factors are simply yards, touchdowns and all the other numbers that go with individual performance. From that perspective, Roethlisberger isn’t bad, but he’s not in Manning, Brady, Brees or Rivers’ territory. Likewise, he’s not as explosive as Rodgers or Michael Vick.

“It’s absolutely fantasy football driven,” Dilfer said. “He’s not the fantasy football juggernaut like Peyton, Tom, Philip or Drew or even Aaron. A lot of the perception about quarterbacks now is fantasy driven. There’s no question in my mind from having worked in the media side for awhile now.”

In seven years, Roethlisberger has thrown more than 18 touchdowns in a season only twice, averaged more than 30 throws a game only three times and topped 4,000 yards in a season only once. Conversely, when it comes to statistics that actually may be a little more indicative of team success, Roethlisberger has put up some amazing numbers. He has averaged 8.0 yards per pass attempt for his career and 8.5 yards over the past two seasons.

Anything over 7.5 yards per attempt is in championship range.

Likewise, Roethlisberger’s touchdown-to-interception ratio in recent years has been mostly excellent. In three of the past four years, Roethlisberger has at least a 2-to-1 ratio, if not at or near 3-to-1.

“You break down the numbers and some of the things like that are just amazing,” Gannon said. “Yards per attempt, his rating … I mean, he had five interceptions this season. With the way he plays, the way he really pushes to get the big play downfield, to do that and not throw more interceptions is just incredible.”

On top of all that, there is the most important stat: Roethlisberger is 9-2 in the playoffs. That’s the second-best record in NFL postseason history behind Bart Starr at 9-1.

“If you’re talking about playing within the system that a team wants and doing what works for your team, Ben is pretty amazing,” Gannon said. “They don’t really block that well for him and they know it, but they call plays knowing that he’s going to get hit and he still executes what they’re trying to do. Like I said, that’s really amazing.”

Roethlisberger is unconventional
To put this another way, Roethlisberger doesn’t play pretty football. Other passers like Manning, Brady and Brees have perfected the art of throwing on time and running their offenses with great precision, executing plays the way they are drawn on the blackboard … or the way so many fans drew up plays on paper or in the dirt when they were kids.

“Ben doesn’t play the way your dad said a quarterback should play,” Dilfer said.

Instead, Roethlisberger looks like the guy in high school who switched from tight end to quarterback after the starter got hurt. He sort of looks like he knows the plays and is winging it because he’s big enough to take a few hits. The expression “by design” doesn’t exist in the Roethlisberger playbook.

“He’s running around, throwing guys off of him, buying time and waiting for something to happen downfield,” Gannon said. “He has the greatest left arm I’ve ever seen. He’s holding the ball in his right arm, waiting to throw and just tossing these 300-pound linemen away with his left arm.”

Dilfer said that, like many fans and passing observers, he didn’t put Roethlisberger on the same pedestal as other quarterbacks until he studied Roethlisberger very carefully.

“I watched 20 of his games. I took two days and watched him really play, studied what they were trying to do and really came away understanding how great this guy is,” Dilfer said. “I appreciate what he does now. He takes poise to a whole different level. By poise, I mean that we all know what it’s like to stare down a pass rusher and deliver the ball. I get that. But with him, you have a defensive lineman dragging you down and he’s still reading coverage. It’s unreal.

“The really good quarterbacks, they know they’re going to get hit. They know there’s going to be pain, but it’s not the pain they’re afraid of. It’s the consequences of getting hit, what might happen, whether you fumble or throw an interception. … With the really great quarterbacks, there is zero fear of failure. They are 100 percent dialed in on success, whatever the next great thing that can happen. The next play is an opportunity for greatness. Dude, this guy can take six sacks or whatever it was against Baltimore and he’s still holding the ball even longer at the end of the game, waiting for the next big play.”

Off-field issues
The obvious detraction from Roethlisberger’s image has been the off-field issues that plagued him in the previous two offseasons. Before the 2009 season, a lawsuit was filed in civil court in Nevada alleging sexual assault. In 2010, Roethlisberger was investigated in a separate incident in Georgia for sexual assault.

Although no charges were ever filed in the latter case, Roethlisberger was eventually suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, missing the first four games of this season.

“Obviously, people talk about that stuff with him and it takes away from what they think of him as a player,” Gannon said.

Fair or not, that’s simply reality. For many people, Roethlisberger isn’t judged solely by numbers or playing style or how many titles he wins, he is judged for his actions both on and off the field.

“It has to have an effect,” Gannon said. “Me, I just look at him as a football player. As a football player, he’s great. There’s no question, he’s truly great.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-disregardingbigben012111

MadMax
01-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Big Ben & Joe Flacco are BY FAR the most under-rated QB's in the league. Ben will continue to just stack Lombardi trophies until the NFC biased media realizes they can't snub him anymore, and still be legitimate sources of NFL news.