PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: draft day trade to get TJ Duckett

BlitzburghRockCity
04-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Just watching the round table discussion on FSN with Stan, Tunch, Bob Labriola and Gerry Dulac... rumor was just discussed about the possibility of making a draft day trade with the Falcons to aquire TJ Duckett.

Duckett is in his 4th year I believe..he's a strong, powerful back. He'd be an option that would eliminate the need to look for a RB in the draft. He doesnt have the greatest vision in the world though and Im sure how "quick" his feet are to be able to run through small spaces in the line. We know he can blow through LB's and safeties because of his size.

Thoughts...

RoethlisBURGHer
04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
I like TJ.He's tough and if there is no hole there,he'll make one.

pucho58
04-26-2006, 06:34 PM
I hope we get him. I am sure the offensive line will make big holes for him to run through.

WWIIOwheelz
04-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Am I the only one who comes out of running back muttering, "PLEASE, can Staley finally stay healthy?"

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 06:44 PM
while id prefer lendale white i think this is a good back up plan. we'd have to pay higher than market value (s. alexander and e. james couldnt even get a 2nd round pick in a trade) but atlanta will part with duckett and schaub for the right price.

Suitanim
04-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't trade anything higher than our 4th for him. He's always battled injuries, and, although he's a big back, will never, ever be confused with a Jerome Bettis.

SteelersNationsfl
04-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Stats on him

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302187

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't trade anything higher than our 4th for him. He's always battled injuries, and, although he's a big back, will never, ever be confused with a Jerome Bettis. thats what i was thinking if c. humes gets drafted in the 3rd or 4th before us. we just trade the 1st 4th and settle with duckett. compared to his body of work thats still above market value. maybe fair market value since it is such a late 4th and steelers have 3 slots within 6 picks right there.

clevestinks
04-26-2006, 07:06 PM
A fourth? That works for me! Nothing hire though. Although Duckett did nothing for my fantasy team a couple years ago! LOL

83-Steelers-43
04-26-2006, 07:09 PM
What I found interesting in the Sports Beat Draft Round Table was Dulac's comments stating that the steelers would only consider trading up for White or Santionio Holmes, but they wont bust the bank to do so. They wont move up to 15..but they would consider a move should Holmes fall to 20 or so. They (Tunch, Dulac, Labriola) also stated that they don't feel the Steelers are interested in Carpenter or Mangold.

Who knows?

Suitanim
04-26-2006, 07:24 PM
That's been my position all along...If Holmes lasts into the 20's, go ahead and grab him. Problem is, I don't think he will. There's a swarm of teams in the mid-high teens-early 20's that need WR.

He'd need to survive Miami, KC, Denver, and the the Pats to qualify, and ONE of those teams will get Jackson, and the other will grab Holmes.

Hell, I'm still not convinced that Detroit won't take a WR with their first pick. Matt Millen IS still the GM.

clevestinks
04-26-2006, 07:27 PM
That's been my position all along...If Holmes lasts into the 20's, go ahead and grab him. Problem is, I don't think he will. There's a swarm of teams in the mid-high teens-early 20's that need WR.

He'd need to survive Miami, KC, Denver, and the the Pats to qualify, and ONE of those teams will get Jackson, and the other will grab Holmes.

Hell, I'm still not convinced that Detroit won't take a WR with their first pick. Matt Millen IS still the GM.
Now thats funny, idf Detroit takes him and Liien keeps his job, then the NFL should take the team away

Mean Machine
04-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I agree, I don't like Mangold or Carpenter late in the first round...Those guys are more like second round picks...I think the Steelers have a real shot of making a draft day trade because they have two round 4 draft choices so they can afford to give up maybe a 3rd rounder to move up a bit higher...

Now, I love the idea of taking a shot at TJ Duckett, and for a 4th rounder, it wouldn't be the worst deal. He is always nicked up a lot so there's a lot of risk with him...Still, he's worth a gamble with a low risk pick...

Suitanim
04-26-2006, 07:41 PM
They were talking about it on ESPN's draft special today. Trey Wingo asked "What IF they take a WR first" and Sean and Golic said "There's just no way they could possibly ever..." and Wingo cut them off and said "That's EXACTLY what we said last year, and they went ahead and picked a WR with their first pick".

I'm telling you, it's clear that Matt Millen has a hard on for WR's, and he also doesn't care about death threats from fans or any of that. Rod Marinelli is definitely a defensive guy, but he's also a new coach who wants to keep his job, and Millen has already survived 3 coaching changes.

While it would be shocking, it wouldn't be impossible if we heard "And with the 9th pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Chad jackson, WR, University of Florida".

Suitanim
04-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I agree, I don't like Mangold or Carpenter late in the first round...Those guys are more like second round picks...

Wh-wh-what?

Neither of these guys will even last until pick #32, let alone the 2nd round. You need to brush up on your talent evaluation skills.

Koopa
04-26-2006, 07:49 PM
lmao, i was finna put uh oh you gonna make suit nuts with that statment

anyway, i wouldn't mind trading up for holmes, never really seen him play but i like what i've read on him, i don't think i'd want tj, just draft humes late if you really want a big back and lendale ain't available in the first. damn i can't wait till saturday

Suitanim
04-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Update on Cedric Humes. His stock has fallen, and he's now being considered ONLY as a FB, which means that his rd 3-4 status has dropped to rd 5-7.

If the Steelers retain all their picks, he'd be a great 2nd day pick up. I think he'd shock some fans with his ability to be that "Big Back" we all want, and at a much cheaper price than LenDale White.

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 08:01 PM
What I found interesting in the Sports Beat Draft Round Table was Dulac's comments stating that the steelers would only consider trading up for White or Santionio Holmes, but they wont bust the bank to do so. They wont move up to 15..but they would consider a move should Holmes fall to 20 or so. They (Tunch, Dulac, Labriola) also stated that they don't feel the Steelers are interested in Carpenter or Mangold.

Who knows?
very interresting local perspective. i have to look at who ahead of carolina may want the #32 pick in a trade. id rather give up a 4th to move ahead for white, than for duckett. nice to see the steelers arent opposed to trade up for a good wr either. we know steelers can beat em on defense. the question (except for the 1st 3 playoff games last year was: could we beat em on offense?)

white or holmes would probably have significant impact on the steelers offense. not rookie of the year impacts but hines, willie, jeronme, or ben will probably never win offensive mvp.

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Update on Cedric Humes. His stock has fallen, and he's now being considered ONLY as a FB, .

hmmmm. sounds like jerome. thats the good thing about the steelers. while l. white may seem like the perfect answer, they always examine good and economical backup plans.

l. white would come in and probably expect to be the next jerome bettis

humes would come in and probably hope and work hard to try and be the next bettis.

psychological advantage: humes

i think the steelers would be alright either way they go and i personally want white. he has more potential to be a larry johnson type runner than humes. but with willie parker, we dont need a l. johnson type back. drafting white could harm willies development. draftin humes tells willie the steelers have all the confidence in the world of him.

dbish33
04-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Thats an interesting move....but I dont think its one they will make....they already have an aging oft injured back in Duce! Obviously they will be making some trades on Saturday, probably moving up more than once.....I dont think Lendale White will be their pick tho in the first round but they will be picking an RB up somewhere in the draft

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2006, 12:03 AM
thats what i was thinking if c. humes gets drafted in the 3rd or 4th before us. we just trade the 1st 4th and settle with duckett. compared to his body of work thats still above market value. maybe fair market value since it is such a late 4th and steelers have 3 slots within 6 picks right there.

:iagree:

We've got a few early 2nd day picks available that we can barter with. The compensatory picks we have early on day 2 can help keep us getting good talent while we deal the standard ones if the opportunity comes about.

SteelShooter
04-27-2006, 12:49 AM
hmmmm. sounds like jerome. thats the good thing about the steelers. while l. white may seem like the perfect answer, they always examine good and economical backup plans.

l. white would come in and probably expect to be the next jerome bettis

humes would come in and probably hope and work hard to try and be the next bettis.

psychological advantage: humes

i think the steelers would be alright either way they go and i personally want white. he has more potential to be a larry johnson type runner than humes. but with willie parker, we dont need a l. johnson type back. drafting white could harm willies development. draftin humes tells willie the steelers have all the confidence in the world of him.

This is the best submission to this post yet! (IMO)
We need POWER. We need the best attitude possible, to be able to meld well with our guys and not break up the gel that is so readily apparent with this corps of professionals. I like Hume....and I would love to have him in Black and Gold!
Ducket could do some good for us. But do we not already have enough "aspirin-chomping" going on worrying about Duce's health.

BigDude66687
04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Ne1 remeber when we picked up Bettis in 96, there was talk of him being an overhyped 1st rb bust who wore out his welcome on his old team, sound familar, TJ could be the miniVan or the 28x, the smaller buses not the big old fashioned ones, I like this move if its a fourth rounder and if we cant get White, or it could be for our first if ATL give us their 1st next year and a second rounder this year

Haiku_Dirtt
04-27-2006, 04:24 AM
Am I the only one who comes out of running back muttering, "PLEASE, can Staley finally stay healthy?"

We're all either saying it or thinking it but...

Are you going to bank the nest egg on it?

Suitanim
04-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Ne1 remeber when we picked up Bettis in 96, there was talk of him being an overhyped 1st rb bust who wore out his welcome on his old team, sound familar, TJ could be the miniVan or the 28x, the smaller buses not the big old fashioned ones, I like this move if its a fourth rounder and if we cant get White, or it could be for our first if ATL give us their 1st next year and a second rounder this year

Well, there are a few key diffeerences. First off, the Rams were switching to a speed attack, and that's why they dumped Bettis, as more of a sea change in their offensive gameplanning...and the Bus had already proven himself with a couple 1,000 yard seasons.

I have no problem giving the guy a shot, but only if the value of what we give up is low.

clevestinks
04-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Its all just a rumor or speculation right now, there is nothing saying what they want for Duckett, it there???

Suitanim
04-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Nope...but considering what teams like the Eagles and Denver are offering for a proven commodity like Javon Walker (I heard asley Lelei and a 6th), I can't imagine anything being offered higher than a 4th for a back-up RB.

clevestinks
04-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Nope...but considering what teams like the Eagles and Denver are offering for a proven commodity like Javon Walker (I heard asley Lelei and a 6th), I can't imagine anything being offered higher than a 4th for a back-up RB.
Then its a no brainer to me, we have to fourth round picks, Duckett has to be worth that, and he fits our system well

Suitanim
04-27-2006, 09:15 AM
And the nice thing about is, if it's a 4th rd pick, you still have almost all your options open. If you're targeting a RB in the early rounds, go ahead and select him. If they wanted someone in rd's 4+, they have enough compensatory picks available with which to do so, OR just stick with TJ. Whereas with some draft pick where you're never sure WHAT you're going to get (Like Fred Gibson who was a complete waste of a pick last year), at least with TJ you know you are getting some value.