PDA

View Full Version : Darrelle Revis ready to erase a Steeler

mesaSteeler
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Darrelle Revis ready to erase a Steeler
January, 19, 2011
Jan 19
4:25 PM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/25189/darrelle-revis-ready-to-erase-a-steeler

By Tim Graham
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan doesn't remember a single time a healthy Darrelle Revis ever was scorched by a receiver.

Revis Island was invaded a few times this year, but let's just say he had border patrol issues. A contract dispute caused him to miss training camp and led to a hamstring injury that dogged him for the first half of the season.

But he returned to his usual, dominant self in November and has been sensational in the playoffs. He'll return to his hometown Sunday to play the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game.

"It's not like he's just playing corner," Ryan said at Wednesday's news conference. "A lot of times we'll give him the toughest down: 'You have no help. So that offense knows you have no help.' A lot of times that's when [an offense should] take a shot over there. We want you to because we think we have as good a chance of catching that football as you do.

"I've only seen it one other time in my life, and that was with Deion Sanders."

Revis held NFL receptions leader Reggie Wayne to one reception for 1 yard in the wild-card round, effectively erasing Peyton Manning's top target. Stats analyst KC Joyner credited New England Patriots receiver Deion Branch with one reception for 8 yards against Revis on Sunday.

Where will Revis line up Sunday against Pittsburgh? Will he be on Mike Wallace? Hines Ward?

Ryan didn't offer many specifics.

"We'll be multiple in what we do with Darrelle," Ryan said. "But there's only one of him. If we had more, that would be great. I'd sign up for that.

"But he's the best in the business. Regardless of who we put him on, that's probably not a good thing for that person."

Joyner, who has Revis allowing only 4.9 yards per target since Week 9, looked back on the Jets' victory over the Steelers in Week 15 for some clues.

In a column for ESPN Insider, Joyner wrote:

Revis was almost never assigned to cover Wallace: They did not square off in coverage on any of the 45 pass plays. On running plays, Wallace was on the field and lined up across from Revis only once.

The reason Revis didn't face Wallace is that the Jets had decided to assign Antonio Cromartie to the Steelers speedster. This tactic was fairly effective, as Wallace gained only 32 yards on three targets (two completions) when facing Cromartie in coverage.

Another problem the Steelers present the Jets is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's ability to strike for big gains on broken plays. Revis said the Jets have practiced "plastering" receivers all week.

"If you're playing against a quarterback like Ben, just latch onto [the receiver] as tight as you can when the plays extend," Revis said. "A receiver might run a curl route or a slant, but his next read, if he sees Ben scrambling, then he'll break it off and run vertical, or maybe turn around and run to the sideline.

"It's hard for secondaries to do that."

Maybe not difficult for Revis.

But, as Ryan already noted, there's only one Revis.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Excuses offset.

Let's play some football already. :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

sharkweek
01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I'd love to see one of our rookies Sanders or Brown scorch Revis

but whatever we need to do to get the win I'll take it

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd love to see one of our rookies Sanders or Brown scorch Revis

but whatever we need to do to get the win I'll take it

that'll happen when pigs fly lol

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 06:41 PM

You might want to be a little more aware of the rooks' game-speed, bro. If Ben gets a pocket on a play when Bruce (or Ben) sends 'em, I guarantee you're going to prairie-dog it.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Okay, Revis can cover Mike Wallace all day. Then we will kill the New Jersey Jets with Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Hines Ward, and Heath Miller....

mcg24
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM

Brown scorched a Ravens secondary playing prevent defense. Pigs aren't flying.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Only Steelers receivers down the field. :tt03::tt03:

Fire Arians
01-19-2011, 07:06 PM
maybe hines ward can erase revis ;)

nbLNFiQSTyE

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 07:10 PM
You might want to be a little more aware of the rooks' game-speed, bro. If Ben gets a pocket on a play when Bruce (or Ben) sends 'em, I guarantee you're going to prairie-dog it.

so your saying that a rookie WR is gonna scorch the leagues best CB? one that shut down all the top WRs like wayne, megatron, AJ, etc?

come on. i mena its ok to be a homer but you guys Waaaaaaaaay overrate your players. it would be like me saying "our rookie CB kyle wilson is gonna blanket ward all day i mean he ran a better 40 time then ward" you guys would call me an idiot troll for saying something like that. you guys take average players like mendy, miller, ward, and make them sound like 1st ballot HOFs

SteelerEmpire
01-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Didn't Randy Moss burn him with a one handed catch in the end zone earlier this season ?

Fire Arians
01-19-2011, 07:12 PM
so your saying that a rookie WR is gonna scorch the leagues best CB? one that shut down all the top WRs like wayne, megatron, AJ, etc?

come on. i mena its ok to be a homer but you guys Waaaaaaaaay overrate your players. it would be like me saying "our rookie CB kyle wilson is gonna blanket ward all day i mean he ran a better 40 time then ward" you guys would call me an idiot troll for saying something like that. you guys take average players like mendy, miller, ward, and make them sound like 1st ballot HOFs

you guys talk about revis as if he's primetime sanders, newsflash, he ain't.

he's good, no doubt, but not unbeatable

Silverback92
01-19-2011, 07:42 PM

Well, you do sound like an idiot for calling Hines Ward an "average" player.

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Where would we be right now if the Steelers drafted Revis like they had originally planned, and the jets didn't trade in front of them to get him?

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 08:00 PM

:flyingpig:

mcg24
01-19-2011, 08:04 PM

"it would be like me saying "our rookie CB kyle wilson is gonna blanket ward all day i mean he ran a better 40 time then ward"

Actually no, Kyle Wilson hasn't done anything to prove that he might be able to blanket Hines Ward. Antonio Brown beat an entire Ravens defense in prevent coverage.

"you guys would call me an idiot troll for saying something like that."

I'll call you an idiot troll right now. Idiot troll.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-19-2011, 08:16 PM
As usual math is not the strong suit in Noth Jersey, lol

Steelers V Jets all madden, Steelers 27-3 and 16-10 today. Revis busted up and ut on a stretcher in the first game.

StainlessStill
01-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Didn't Randy Moss burn him with a one handed catch in the end zone earlier this season ?

Come on my fellow Stillers fans, lets get real. Revis is avoided for a damn REASON. He's such a stud and the definition of shutdown. He's not like a Deion or a Woodson who turns up INT's or pick 6's but he doesn't have the opportunity to.

With that said, we aren't so damn bad ourselves at the WR position. I say, lets go after Revis, the dude barely gets any work. I think we can make him back off a bit and get beat. We will find out but I'm telling you, HEATH MILLER is valuable and will be even MORE valuable Sunday!

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 08:25 PM
so your saying that a rookie WR is gonna scorch the leagues best CB?

Where did I say scorched? Oops. Convenient to the subsequent :blah: that had nothing to do with what I was saying.

All I was sayin' is, both of them are deceptively fast. They are the type that, when you are differentiating between 40 times and game-speed, they're the prototype. Watch out, bro. They're quick. They're fast. They have good hands. That's all I'm sayin'. You might catch yourself prairie-doggin' a close one. :popcorn:

If you want scorched, look here :

MyPtJF-IgPc

Oops. Smoked. Smoked, was the word that was used. :noidea:

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 08:47 PM
you guys talk about revis as if he's primetime sanders, newsflash, he ain't.

he's good, no doubt, but not unbeatable

By KC Joyner
Rex Ryan certainly has a knack for hyperbole, but his latest comment stating that Darrelle Revis is "the best player in football" wasn't just big talk.

The evidence for this can be found in the improvement in Revis' metrics over the course of the 2010 season.

From Weeks 1-6 (the time when Revis was still getting over his offseason rust and in-season injury), he posted the following stats: 22 targets, eight completions for 196 yards and three touchdowns. That equates to an 8.9 yards per attempt (YPA) mark, which is more than double his phenomenal 3.6 YPA total in 2009.

Now contrast that to his metric performance from Weeks 8-16 (Revis did not play in week 17): 35 targets, 11 completions, 153 yards. Take out the 10-yard offensive pass interference penalty he drew against Deion Branch in the Week 13 game against the Patriots and it equals 143 yards on 35 targets, or a 4.1 YPA.

That is very close to the type of YPA number that made Revis a Defensive Player of the Year candidate in 2009 and provides evidence that Ryan is right about his star cornerback's level of play. Revis Island is once again a place for opposing receivers to fear.

so basically he averages getting targeted 4 times a game allowing 1 catch for about 17 yards average a game for the 2nd half of the year. against guys like calvin johnson, andre johnson, greg jennings, brandon marshall etc. and the average is better if you take teh 2 playoff games where he allowed only 3 catches for 12 yards total in both games to wayne, branch, and welker.

Well, you do sound like an idiot for calling Hines Ward an "average" player.

he is an average payer at this point in his career. sure there was a time when he was a stud in his prime but he's 34 years old now and only had 755 yards with a top 5 QB throwing to him. holmes had more in 12 games for the jets with a 2nd year QB throwing to him

"it would be like me saying "our rookie CB kyle wilson is gonna blanket ward all day i mean he ran a better 40 time then ward"

Actually no, Kyle Wilson hasn't done anything to prove that he might be able to blanket Hines Ward. Antonio Brown beat an entire Ravens defense in prevent coverage.

"you guys would call me an idiot troll for saying something like that."

I'll call you an idiot troll right now. Idiot troll.

and your comparing the ravens weak secondary to the jets? tahts like me saying that since suggs owned you that the jets will. the problem is the jets don't have a pass rusher as good as suggs. while b-more doesn't have a CB as good as revis or cro

Come on my fellow Stillers fans, lets get real. Revis is avoided for a damn REASON. He's such a stud and the definition of shutdown. He's not like a Deion or a Woodson who turns up INT's or pick 6's but he doesn't have the opportunity to.

With that said, we aren't so damn bad ourselves at the WR position. I say, lets go after Revis, the dude barely gets any work. I think we can make him back off a bit and get beat. We will find out but I'm telling you, HEATH MILLER is valuable and will be even MORE valuable Sunday!

revis is probably the only CB in the league that his teams fans beg for him to get thrown at

Where did I say scorched? Oops. Convenient to the subsequent :blah: that had nothing to do with what I was saying.

All I was sayin' is, both of them are deceptively fast. They are the type that, when you are differentiating between 40 times and game-speed, they're the prototype. Watch out, bro. They're quick. They're fast. They have good hands. That's all I'm sayin'. You might catch yourself prairie-doggin' a close one. :popcorn:

MyPtJF-IgPc

lol so he got beat deep 1 time by a shitty WR. ginn also is faster then anyone the steelers have including wallace, plus he was supposed to have safety help so he played him hard underneath and the safety was late to get to his spot. but w/e keep thinking he will get beat. i hope big ben thinks the same and challenges him

nycdan
01-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Honestly, if you want to find a single instance of a great player getting burned, you can easily find one of Troy getting cleated by a Bengal (which I will politely refrain from actually linking). Doesn't really prove anything, does it?

KingsOfTheGridiron
01-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I love how Jets fans think we Steeler fans know nothing about Revis. Hellllllllooooo, he played at PITT. We know what he is capable of doing on the football field. Yet, these same Jets fans dismiss Polamalu as an important piece to the Steelers stopping the Jets run game this time around. Hilarious stuff! I'd love to see the Jets run for 100 yards this time around.

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 09:26 PM
I love how Jets fans think we Steeler fans know nothing about Revis. Hellllllllooooo, he played at PITT. We know what he is capable of doing on the football field. Yet, these same Jets fans dismiss Polamalu as an important piece to the Steelers stopping the Jets run game this time around. Hilarious stuff! I'd love to see the Jets run for 100 yards this time around.

whoa, i've never once discounted how great of a player troy is. please dont lump me in with a few idiots you seen on another jets board

KingsOfTheGridiron
01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
whoa, i've never once discounted how great of a player troy is. please dont lump me in with a few idiots you seen on another jets board

Not you. Your fellow Jets fans.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Honestly, if you want to find a single instance of a great player getting burned, you can easily find one of Troy getting cleated by a Bengal (which I will politely refrain from actually linking). Doesn't really prove anything, does it?

I'm sorry. I missed it.

What was I proving with that again?

isunormalil
01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't even know why they're playing this game. Sanchez is better than Ben, Jets running game is better than ours. The Jets rush defense is better than ours. Jets LBers are better than Steelers...wow. We don't stand a chance.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
The greatest part about the whole thing is...

Whomever Revis covers...

They still have to account for Wallace/Sanders, Brown, Ward, Miller, Mendy/Redman. Once you get past Cro, the talent pool, along with speed drops in that secondary.

Revis Island nothing. It will be moot. Scoring will be done elsewhere.

mcg24
01-19-2011, 09:42 PM

You said Hines Ward is an average player. We weren't mistaken, you are definitely one of the idiots.

Pac
01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't even know why they're playing this game. Sanchez is better than Ben, Jets running game is better than ours. The Jets rush defense is better than ours. Jets LBers are better than Steelers...wow. We don't stand a chance.

Get it right... we have better RB's, WR's, O-line (landslide), special teams, and CB's...

Your rush D is better as are you safties (landslide), and QB.

all in all a pretty evenly matched game hence the close victory a few weeks ago. All I know is you have a lot of been there done that guys on your team where the Jets are going for something they haven't tasted in 42 years.

Of course it's going to be a close game but I simply think we're going to win.

Pac
01-19-2011, 09:43 PM
You said Hines Ward is an average player. We weren't mistaken, you are definitely one of the idiots.

Dude Hines is much closer to an average player than an elite one. It isn't 2005 anymore.

KingsOfTheGridiron
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Get it right... we have better RB's, WR's, O-line (landslide), special teams, and CB's...

Your rush D is better as are you safties (landslide), and QB.

all in all a pretty evenly matched game hence the close victory a few weeks ago. All I know is you have a lot of been there done that guys on your team where the Jets are going for something they haven't tasted in 42 years.

Of course it's going to be a close game but I simply think we're going to win.

WR's are a draw, possible edge to the Steelers. Everything else looks right.

Wallace108
01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
"It's not like he's just playing corner," Ryan said at Wednesday's news conference. "A lot of times we'll give him the toughest down: 'You have no help. So that offense knows you have no help.' A lot of times that's when [an offense should] take a shot over there. We want you to because we think we have as good a chance of catching that football as you do.
Please, PLEASE, Rex ... put Revis on Wallace all day with no safety help. I'd love to see Revis try to keep up with 17. :sofunny:

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 09:49 PM

Come on. Hines is nowhere near what he was in his prime. I'm just glad to have that player in the NFL that gives it more of his 100% than anyone else. That's what has made Hines great throughout his career.

He's really never been very fast anyway.

APSxK_w56u8

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM

explain to me how a 34 year old hines ward is an elite player? 5 years ago he was a great player. now he's a very sold vet/average player. kinda like mason and TJ from the ravens. i understand the love you guys have for him but come on. it would be like the jets saying LT is more then an average player at this point. he isn't he is an average RB right now. but he is a future HOFer and 5years ago was hands down the best RB in the league.

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Come on. Hines is nowhere near what he was in his prime. I'm just glad to have that player in the NFL that gives it more of his 100% than anyone else. That's what has made Hines great throughout his career.

He's really never been very fast anyway.

APSxK_w56u8

i'm not questioning his toughness or effort or leadership or desire. i'm just saying his skills are declining and at this point he's not a special player. he's alot like LT is at this point in their careers.

mcg24
01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
explain to me how a 34 year old hines ward is an elite player? 5 years ago he was a great player. now he's a very sold vet/average player. kinda like mason and TJ from the ravens. i understand the love you guys have for him but come on. it would be like the jets saying LT is more then an average player at this point. he isn't he is an average RB right now. but he is a future HOFer and 5years ago was hands down the best RB in the league.

He isn't an elite player, he is a good player. We go to him when we absolutely need something, like the third down last week against the Ravens when Ben found him in the end zone. He hasn't slowed down a bit, he was never anything close to fast in the first place, and now you can really tell he is slow because you have a lightning bolt in Mike Wallace on the other side of the field. You also can't judge a WR just on his receiving ability, Ward is the best run blocking WR in the NFL today, maybe in NFL history.

So an average player? No.

Pac
01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Please, PLEASE, Rex ... put Revis on Wallace all day with no safety help. I'd love to see Revis try to keep up with 17. :sofunny:

Revis has shut down Randy Moss in multiple games the last few years...

Moss >>>>> and faster than Wallace.

and yes I remember Moss beat Revis once this year when Revis had a pulled hamstring.. . even then he beat him by a c-hair and it made a miraculous catch when doing so.

mcg24
01-19-2011, 10:09 PM

and yes I remember Moss beat Revis once this year when Revis had a pulled hamstring.. . even then he beat him by a c-hair and it made a miraculous catch when doing so.

Moss faster than Wallace?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Moss played really well after the Patriots traded him didn't he? Oh wait...

If Moss can beat Revis, I think we're ok.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
i'm not questioning his toughness or effort or leadership or desire. i'm just saying his skills are declining and at this point he's not a special player. he's alot like LT is at this point in their careers.

"I agree." would have sufficed and taken up a lot less space.

Pac
01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Moss faster than Wallace?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Moss played really well after the Patriots traded him didn't he? Oh wait...

If Moss can beat Revis, I think we're ok.

Randy Moss 40 time -- 4.25 at the combine and 4.27 when it was checked in 2007

Mike Wallace 40 time at the combine 4.33

yes... faster than Wallace.

Wallace108
01-19-2011, 10:14 PM

Game speed is a lot different than running in the combine. I'm not taking anything away from Revis ... he's the best in the league. But no one is going to cover Wallace deep one-on-one.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Game speed is a lot different than running in the combine. I'm not taking anything away from Revis ... he's the best in the league. But no one is going to cover Wallace deep one-on-one.

Exactly.

Wallace gives 100%, 100% of the time. Moss, on the other hand. Well...

Pac
01-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Wallace is going to be a good receiver for a long time but if Revis is covering him exclusively this Sunday then it will be something like 3 catches 30 yards. Nothing against Wallace but Revis simply shuts down the NFLs best WR's.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Wallace is going to be a good receiver for a long time but if Revis is covering him exclusively this Sunday then it will be something like 3 catches 30 yards. Nothing against Wallace but Revis simply shuts down the NFLs best WR's.

Revis is going to be a good corner for a long time but if Wallace is being covered by him exclusively this Sunday then it will be something like 7 catches 107 yards. Nothing against Revis but Wallace simply runs by most all defenders put in front of him.

Wallace108
01-19-2011, 10:26 PM

I'd love to tell you that you're wrong, but I can't. Revis is awesome. But I'm confident that Wallace can burn him deep in one-on-one coverage. Hopefully, we'll get to see who's right. :drink:

Pac
01-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Revis is going to be a good corner for a long time but if Wallace is being covered by him exclusively this Sunday then it will be something like 7 catches 107 yards. Nothing against Revis but Wallace simply runs by most all defenders put in front of him.

touche :chuckle:

for your viewing pleasure:

Pesjxthmrpc

mcg24
01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
touche :chuckle:

for your viewing pleasure:

We don't need your cute highlight videos. Revis played at Pitt and many of us have followed him in the NFL afterward. You seem to think that somehow we don't understand how good Revis is. It doesn't matter how good Revis is, Mike Wallace will still burn him. If Mike runs a regular route, Revis will more than likely be on him. But a streak? Mike is gone, good night, lights out, ball game.

Pac
01-19-2011, 10:32 PM
We don't need your cute highlight videos. Revis played at Pitt and many of us have followed him in the NFL afterward. You seem to think that somehow we don't understand how good Revis is. It doesn't matter how good Revis is, Mike Wallace will still burn him. If Mike runs a regular route, Revis will more than likely be on him. But a streak? Mike is gone, good night, lights out, ball game.

believe me every Jet fan prays Ben goes after Revis all night long.

SH-Rock
01-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I think the best way to use Wallace in this game is give him a 5-10 yard pass and let him run freely. If we can accomplish that then we'll have a shot to win.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I think the best way to use Wallace in this game is give him a 5-10 yard pass and let him run freely. If we can accomplish that then we'll have a shot to win.

It's about damn time.

Everyone wants to talk about the over-the-top 50+yard homerun ball.

Wallace can, at any time, cut inside on a quick slant and take it to paydirt. The guy is about as explosive once he possesses the ball as anyone in the history of the NFL. The guy has AP dig with Neon Deion speed.

MaidenIndiana
01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Dude Hines is much closer to an average player than an elite one. It isn't 2005 anymore.

It's not 1969 either Broadway Joe:hatsoff:

nycdan
01-19-2011, 10:43 PM
With all due respect, every week for the past two years, fans of opposing teams come to Jets boards to tell us how (Reggie Wayne, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, insert any WR) are going to beat Revis. Other than during the hammy problem earlier this year, they have all been wrong. Consistently. Every week.

There's a lot to debate about this game, but telling Jets fans that Mike Wallace is going to succeed where all those other guys failed is not your strongest argument. And that's assuming Revis even draws Wallace, which I don't think anyone not on the Jets would know yet.

Wallace108
01-19-2011, 10:50 PM
With all due respect, every week for the past two years, fans of opposing teams come to Jets boards to tell us how (Reggie Wayne, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, insert any WR) are going to beat Revis. Other than during the hammy problem earlier this year, they have all been wrong. Consistently. Every week..

And I've heard from countless fans coming to Steelers boards about how our rookies (Sanders, Brown) are inexperienced, Ward is washed up, and their CBs can cover Wallace deep. And THEY'VE all been wrong. :hatsoff:

tony hipchest
01-19-2011, 10:58 PM
With all due respect, every week for the past two years, fans of opposing teams come to Jets boards to tell us how (Reggie Wayne, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, insert any WR) are going to beat Revis. Other than during the hammy problem earlier this year, they have all been wrong. Consistently. Every week.

There's a lot to debate about this game, but telling Jets fans that Mike Wallace is going to succeed where all those other guys failed is not your strongest argument. And that's assuming Revis even draws Wallace, which I don't think anyone not on the Jets would know yet.

with all due respect fans come to our board every week of every year since 2004 and tell us how the LONE superstar on their team is gonna defeat the steelers. for the most part they have all been wrong. consistantly. every year.

yet here we are in our 4th championship game.

to quote coach ryan- "same old steelers"

:chuckle:

nycdan
01-19-2011, 10:59 PM
And I've heard from countless fans coming to Steelers boards about how our rookies (Sanders, Brown) are inexperienced, Ward is washed up, and their CBs can cover Wallace deep. And THEY'VE all been wrong. :hatsoff:

Well by definition, rookies ARE inexperienced are they not? :) That counts for rookies on all teams though, not just yours so that's sort of irrelevent.

And I can't speak for any other CBs, or the stupidity of other fans, but I can only say that nobody has figured out Revis yet and the list of WRs who have failed is long and filled with the best in the game. Not saying Wallace isn't great, because the numbers say he is but is there really any reason to confidently assume he will do better than then CJ, AJ or Wayne to pick a few? But I'm not here to pick fights...so I won't belabor the point any longer.

Wallace108
01-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Well by definition, rookies ARE inexperienced are they not? :) That counts for rookies on all teams though, not just yours so that's sort of irrelevent.

And I can't speak for any other CBs, or the stupidity of other fans, but I can only say that nobody has figured out Revis yet and the list of WRs who have failed is long and filled with the best in the game. Not saying Wallace isn't great, because the numbers say he is but is there really any reason to confidently assume he will do better than then CJ, AJ or Wayne to pick a few? But I'm not here to pick fights...so I won't belabor the point any longer.

No, I don't take it as you picking a fight. We welcome your opinion. :drink:
As I stated already in this thread, I take nothing away from Revis. He's the best lockdown corner in the league. I just don't think he can fly with Wallace. Cover skills are one thing ... speed is another.

mcg24
01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
believe me every Jet fan prays Ben goes after Revis all night long.

Man you are a true moron. You don't understand the concept of speed do you?

nycdan
01-19-2011, 11:25 PM
No, I don't take it as you picking a fight. We welcome your opinion. :drink:
As I stated already in this thread, I take nothing away from Revis. He's the best lockdown corner in the league. I just don't think he can fly with Wallace. Cover skills are one thing ... speed is another.

Which may be why Revis didn't cover Wallace last game. Rex may not think it's the best matchup. I gotta trust in the big man. He's earned it.

mcg24
01-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Which may be why Revis didn't cover Wallace last game. Rex may not think it's the best matchup. I gotta trust in the big man. He's earned it.

Cromartie had the coverage on Wallace last game, Wallace had 7 catches for 102 yards. After that poor showing from Cromartie analysts are guessing that Revis will cover Wallace.

nycdan
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Cromartie had the coverage on Wallace last game, Wallace had 7 catches for 102 yards. After that poor showing from Cromartie analysts are guessing that Revis will cover Wallace.

Well then we'll have our answer :)

But something tells me it won't be that simple. Also, I don't recall if Cro was bumping at the line back then (he tended to avoid it during the season) but he seems to have learned to do it last week at least. That could change the outcome if so. Do you recall if he was?

lionslicer
01-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Revis can get beaten in a foot race, but he's so good at bumping at the line and using his hands that by the time the reciever gets free enough to run free down the field, the play is over.

I'd like to see Wallace burn him once, it will happen, but whether Ben can get it to him is another story.

mcg24
01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Well then we'll have our answer :)

But something tells me it won't be that simple. Also, I don't recall if Cro was bumping at the line back then (he tended to avoid it during the season) but he seems to have learned to do it last week at least. That could change the outcome if so. Do you recall if he was?

I don't recall, but that doesn't seem like a strategy I would want to start integrating against Mike Wallace. If Cromartie makes the slightest mistake it's a TD. Also, Cromartie hasn't exactly gotten a reputation for being a tough guy.

Acerinox
01-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Rex would be INSANE to put Revis on Wallace. If this matchup occurs consistently, Steelers win. No doubt at all. But not for the reasons you might think.

It is a FACT that Revis is a shutdown corner and WILL take a WR out of the game.
But it is also a FACT that you CANNOT cover Wallace without safety help. It is not possible. I don't care how good you are at jarring at the line of scrimmage, without safety help you need to start at least 5 yards off the line or risk getting burned. TD style burned.

So why not put Cromartie + safety help on Wallace and let Revis take someone else away instead? Makes more sense to me by far.

nycdan
01-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Well I got bored and decided to see just what the coverage on Wallace was last game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121911/2010/REG15/jets@steelers#tab:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

pass incomplete deep right to 17-M.Wallace.
pass incomplete deep right to 17-M.Wallace. COVERAGE BY #31 CROMARTIE
pass short right to 17-M.Wallace to NYJ 39 for 16 yards (31-A.Cromartie).
pass short right to 17-M.Wallace to PIT 30 for 4 yards (22-B.Pool).
pass deep middle to 17-M.Wallace to NYJ 41 for 23 yards (26-D.Lowery).
pass short right to 17-M.Wallace to NYJ 25 for 8 yards (97-C.Pace).
pass deep middle to 17-M.Wallace to PIT 46 for 17 yards (30-D.Coleman).
pass short left to 17-M.Wallace to PIT 46 for 16 yards (31-A.Cromartie).
pass short left to 17-M.Wallace to NYJ 26 for 18 yards (31-A.Cromartie)

So Cromartie broke up two passes and yielded two for 34 yards. The rest of his catches were against other LB/DBs. So I'm not as concerned about Cromartie covering him more this game as I was before I saw this. Wallace is far more dangerous when Cro ISN'T covering him apparently.

Should be an interesting matchup to watch if it works out that way.

TeamChris
01-20-2011, 01:32 AM
LOL Cromartie. I'm not even worried about him. He's good but very overrated.

MikeHaullace
01-20-2011, 01:37 AM
LOL Cromartie. I'm not even worried about him. He's good but very overrated.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

Wallace108
01-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Well I got bored and decided to see just what the coverage on Wallace was last game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121911/2010/REG15/jets@steelers#tab:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

pass incomplete deep right to 17-M.Wallace.
pass short right to 17-M.Wallace to NYJ 39 for 16 yards (31-A.Cromartie).
pass short right to 17-M.Wallace to PIT 30 for 4 yards (22-B.Pool).
pass deep middle to 17-M.Wallace to NYJ 41 for 23 yards (26-D.Lowery).
pass short right to 17-M.Wallace to NYJ 25 for 8 yards (97-C.Pace).
pass deep middle to 17-M.Wallace to PIT 46 for 17 yards (30-D.Coleman).
pass short left to 17-M.Wallace to PIT 46 for 16 yards (31-A.Cromartie).
pass short left to 17-M.Wallace to NYJ 26 for 18 yards (31-A.Cromartie)

So Cromartie broke up two passes and yielded two for 34 yards. The rest of his catches were against other LB/DBs. So I'm not as concerned about Cromartie covering him more this game as I was before I saw this. Wallace is far more dangerous when Cro ISN'T covering him apparently.

Should be an interesting matchup to watch if it works out that way.

You're exactly right. Cromartie covering Wallace with help deep is the way to go. The point me and others have been trying to make is that if the Jets put Revis on Wallace one-on-one with no help, then game on. :popcorn:
Like I've said over and over in this thread, Revis is phenomenal. But despite all the hype about Revis Island, there's no way he can cover Wallace one-on-one.

DanRooney
01-20-2011, 01:40 AM

Sanders played a good game against Revis last time. He covered him the entire game and Sanders ended up with 78 yards on 7 receptions.

MikeHaullace
01-20-2011, 01:41 AM
You're exactly right. Cromartie covering Wallace with help deep is the way to go. The point me and others have been trying to make is that if the Jets put Revis on Wallace one-on-one with no help, then game on. :popcorn:
Like I've said over and over in this thread, Revis is phenomenal. But despite all the hype about Revis Island, there's no way he can cover Wallace one-on-one.

My name is MikeHaullace, and I support this message.

SouthTexasSteel
01-20-2011, 06:28 AM
LMAO when I watch other fans come in here and start talking "match-ups" on the player and the position level. To get tied up in that nonsense is to NOT understand this Steelers team. ONE thing will decide this game.... PERIOD. Which team gets the most pressure on the QB. Ben doesn't need to have great stats to win, he doesn't even need mediocre stats to win.. He just wins. But ultimately it will come down to a tipped ball, stripped ball, a key sack or a savvy secondary player baiting the QB into ONE poor decision. IMHO, this game will be very close and ultimately decided in the 4th quarter and maybe even the last possession. But I will say this... The winner of this game WILL win the Superbowl... BOOK IT!!

Prediction:

Steelers 23
Jets 21

colescott1
01-20-2011, 06:33 AM
So, Moss's timed runs were faster than Wallace's timed runs back in 2007? And what bearing does that have in 2011? (Especially since a backup argument is that Hines Ward ain't what he was in 2005???)

b) Cro is good when he can jam off the line. When he has to play back, and I've heard/ seen this in both the Jets playoff games, he's actually a liability. He gets lost. So, pick your poison.

Sure, whoever the Jets put Revis against, likely has a quiet game. Locked down. Way to go Jets!
Now, how exactly to you cover the rest of the receiving core, rookies included, that have shown they are quite capable in recent weeks of stepping up big? Cro play off the line? Quick inside slant. See ya! YAC.
Try to jam? Straight burner.... See ya! AYC.
Maybe drop some of your linebackers into coverage more? Heelloooo Mendy.

Just my humble opinion, but as long as we can stop your special teams, which we couldn't last time and is a HUGE problem for us, then I see Steelers winning this game. If our rookie WR's all of a sudden get stage fright and don't make catches....another problem. I just don't see it happening. Looking forward to a great game.

grward
01-20-2011, 06:42 AM

You should never be able to scorch a secondary in a prevent defense. That's just embarrassing. Nice try though.

nycdan
01-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Sanders played a good game against Revis last time. He covered him the entire game and Sanders ended up with 78 yards on 7 receptions.

Revis defended Sanders 4 times according to the game log.

3 incompletions
1 completion for 4 yards.

From what I recall, Revis made 7 tackles that game and most of them were against runs and players that weren't his main assignment so I'm not even sure the catches were 'against' him. Again, it's moot since I suspect the assignments will be different this week anyway. Your WRs are good and will get theirs against the rest of the secondary but if you're main goal is to see someone embarass Revis then you're focusing on the wrong things.

Listen, I'm the first guy to say that Revis can't do it by himself. As much as I love the guy, I'd trade him for a lethal pass rusher because that guy would be able to affect EVERY play. But the old adage is that Revis makes it a 10-on-10 game and it's pretty much true FWIW.

SouthTexas is right, despite his somewhat demeaning tone, but I think it's more vital to the Jets to get to Ben than the other way around. Ben has proven that if he has enough time, he'll get something done. Both teams have great WRs (and don't try to sell me on the idea that if you switched entire WR corps, you wouldn't be crowing that Edwards/Holmes/Cotchery were better....Ben improves your guys more than Sanchez can improve his right now).

The Jets won't kill you with the pass unless you really overcommit to the run. Then they'll try and either Good Mark or Bad Mark will show up, and that WILL be a huge factor in deciding the game, whether you get him in the dirt or not. But as much as STs will help, the Jets don't 'need' a ST TD to win...they just need to win the field position war and play mistake free football like last week, and do whatever it is they will cook up to keep Ben from killing them. Some of you will think it's impossible and that' where we can simply and civilly disagree.

nycdan
01-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Well I just saw that Rex did reveal something about how they'll defend Wallace in his last presser.

"We'll be multiple in what we do with Darrelle, but there's only one of him," Ryan said Wednesday. "He's the best in the business, and regardless of who we put him on, that's probably not a good thing for that person. The Steelers have a great receiving corps with Hines Ward and with (Mike) Wallace... that kid's about as good a vertical receiver as there is in the game right now, so who do you put him on? I'll say this. We're not going to line him up on (OG Chris) Kemoeatu."

So there you have it. :)

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 08:55 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mzncuptg4V4/S1ijUpEM7-I/AAAAAAAAD1c/IovZHbMz4nQ/s400/revis_coverage.jpg

FanSince72
01-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I thought this was good.

It's from a TMQ piece entitled:
The TMQ All-Unwanted All-Pros
December 28, 2010

Last season, Jersey/B cornerback Darrelle Revis was one of the league's top performers. But since he was rewarded with a big bonus check for skipping much of training camp, Revis seems to be celebrating by taking the 2010 season off. On Sunday, he basically stepped out of the way of the Bears' Matt Forte at the 3-yard line as Forte scored a touchdown. Later, Revis was singed for a touchdown catch by Johnny Knox of Division II Abilene Christian. Last season, Revis styled himself as Revis Island; this season, he looks like Revis Yacht Marina. Meanwhile, in cold weather, rain or snow in the NFL, California beach bum Sanchez has thrown five touchdown passes and 18 interceptions. Not a good sign for an AFC East club.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101228_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
I thought this was good.

It's from a TMQ piece entitled:
The TMQ All-Unwanted All-Pros
December 28, 2010

Last season, Jersey/B cornerback Darrelle Revis was one of the league's top performers. But since he was rewarded with a big bonus check for skipping much of training camp, Revis seems to be celebrating by taking the 2010 season off. On Sunday, he basically stepped out of the way of the Bears' Matt Forte at the 3-yard line as Forte scored a touchdown. Later, Revis was singed for a touchdown catch by Johnny Knox of Division II Abilene Christian. Last season, Revis styled himself as Revis Island; this season, he looks like Revis Yacht Marina. Meanwhile, in cold weather, rain or snow in the NFL, California beach bum Sanchez has thrown five touchdown passes and 18 interceptions. Not a good sign for an AFC East club.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101228_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

you do know the guy hates the jets right? hence the reason he calls them "jersey/B"

also knox had 2 TDs 1 against lowery and 1 against cromartie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm3HFe3hTTE&feature=related

thats the highlights of the game showing both TDs.

the forte one he started on the 22 yard line and was down to the 5 with a full head of steam byt the time revis touched him. it was a half ass attempt at a tackle I'll give him that but honestly anything short of a LBer crashing into him at full speed wouldn't have stopped him from gettting a TD

I posted the stats before. since week 8 revis gets targeted only 4 times a game allowing 1 catch a game

MDSteel15
01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
They can't cover all our targets... Revis is only on 1 man and both our 1 and 2 WRs had good games aginst the Jets the first time....

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Polamalu will have a bigger impact on this game than Bevis will.

ruruthagame
01-20-2011, 10:53 AM
would like to see how that filp turns out if hines,the beast or troy gets a hold of ya

mcg24
01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Is Revis the only player on the Jets? How come the Jets don't want to talk about big time clutch QB Mark Sanchez? He's going to pick apart the Steelers defense...wait...

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Is Revis the only player on the Jets? How come the Jets don't want to talk about big time clutch QB Mark Sanchez? He's going to pick apart the Steelers defense...wait...

but... but.. REVIS!

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 03:24 PM

because nobody is dumb enough to think that. Sanchez will manage the game and make some big time throws, but he isn't gonna pick apart your D. jets will play balanced, short quick throws to offset the pass rush and control the clock.

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 03:26 PM
because nobody is dumb enough to think that. Sanchez will manage the game and make some big time throws, but he isn't gonna pick apart your D. jets will play balanced, short quick throws to offset the pass rush and control the clock.

but, revis?

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
but, revis?

wow great repsonse :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

ricardisimo
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Although I am loathe ever to quote or cite anything from bleacherreport, I have to agree with this assessment (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/396303-nnamdi-asomugha-vs-darrelle-revis-who-is-really-on-an-island). Revis is truly very good, but not only is he not yet Nnamdi's equal, it's possible that neither one of them can almost win games on their own the way Deion and Rod Woodson once did. Mind you, those two were also returning kicks, and doing it well, so it's not really fair, but...

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Although I am loathe ever to quote or cite anything from bleacherreport, I have to agree with this assessment (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/396303-nnamdi-asomugha-vs-darrelle-revis-who-is-really-on-an-island). Revis is truly very good, but not only is he not yet Nnamdi's equal, it's possible that neither one of them can almost win games on their own the way Deion and Rod Woodson once did. Mind you, those two were also returning kicks, and doing it well, so it's not really fair, but...

Oh Ric, but he's already said that Rod Woodson was just okay..lmao

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 04:03 PM

1st off no CB ever single handedly wins games. the best positoin with a chance to do taht is QB and even thats iffy at best. football is a team sport.

2ndly aso is not even close. aso doesn't cover number 1s. he covers number 2s and oakland doubles the #1s Until aso goes 1 on 1 with no safety help with the opponents best WR you can't even compare the 2