PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes: Jets winning SB would be slap in Steelers' face

mesaSteeler
01-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Santonio Holmes: Jets winning SB would be slap in Steelers' face
03:29 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/santonio-holmes-jets-winning-sb-would-be-slap-in-steelers-face/1

New York Jets WR Santonio Holmes says there's nothing personal about this weekend's AFC Championship Game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, with whom he won a Super Bowl MVP award in 2009 before being traded in April.

He says the grudge-match went down in December, when the Jets earned a 22-17 Week 15 victory in Pittsburgh.

Yet in comments Wednesday, Holmes appeared to still harbor frustration over a trade that came in the wake of a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleged Holmes threw a glass at her in a nightclub in March.

"The personal game is out the way," Holmes said. "I got a chance to beat them the first time around. This time it means everything. This game is about getting to the Super Bowl. I don't care about the Steelers right now... If we win the Super Bowl, then everything is personal. That's a slap right back in those guys' face for trading me. But right now, its not a focus of mine."

Asked if he thought he was treated unfairly by the Steelers, Holmes said the trade was a learning experience.

"I don't know," he said. "I had to learn the business aspect of this game which entitles things like this to happen. Things like this happen to big-time players."

Jets receivers Braylon Edwards (17) and Santonio Holmes.
CAPTION
By Al Bello, Getty Images
Holmes added that the key to beating the Steelers this time around would be limiting turnovers and getting the ball to New York's playmakers, specifically 'The Flight Boys.' That's what Holmes calls the trio of Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and himself, a group that has combined for 20 catches and 293 yards in two playoff games.

Jets coach Rex Ryan, conservative in his comments Wednesday, said games like this are why he wanted Holmes to be a Jet.

"Is it added excitement to him? I don't know if there could possibly be any more energy," Ryan said of Holmes' homecoming. "We're playing for the AFC Championship. One of the reasons we brought 'Ton in is for times like this. AFC Championship time is 'Ton time."

WR/KR/QB Brad Smith, who Holmes called a member of the Flight Boys' 'Secret Service', returned to practice Wednesday but was limited with a groin injury. He is expected to play but there has been no official word from the Jets either way.

-- Robert Klemko

See photos of: NFL, New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Santonio Holmes

SH-Rock
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty sure many Steelers want to beat him too so the feeling is mutual.

wutchy
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
letting santonio go was a huge mistake. No one could tell me any different.

William Gay is going to have his hands full. Size wise, they match up well. But Santonio is a good leaper. Gay is going to have to give him a cushion and keep him in front of him. Santonio sets up that double move better than anyone, except Larry Fitzgerald maybe. Gay will be lucky if he only gives up 2 TD's. Santonio could beat Revis and Cromartie. Ike too.

Braylon Edwards is 6'3", so Ike, 6'2", is going to have to cover Edwards.

SH-Rock
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
You're a really pessimistic person.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 06:54 PM
First of all, what the hell makes you think Gay is going to be covering Holmes? Ike took care of him last time. Secondly, the more you post the more you show that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sixburgher
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
William Gay is going to have his hands full. Size wise, they match up well. But Santonio is a good leaper. Gay is going to have to give him a cushion and keep him in front of him. Santonio sets up that double move better than anyone, except Larry Fitzgerald maybe. Gay will be lucky if he only gives up 2 TD's. Santonio could beat Revis and Cromartie. Ike too.

Crack kills.

zulater
01-19-2011, 07:14 PM
You're a really pessimistic person.

I'd guess troll.

:coffee:

LegendSteel
01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
The Browns, Ravens, or Bengals winning...now THAT would be a slap in the face. The Jets? Not so much.

Jetsfan115
01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
what did the 5 fingers say to the steelers face?

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 07:20 PM

There's another ring on the other hand? :noidea: :chuckle:

mesaSteeler
01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I'd guess troll.

:coffee:

No doubt about that.

zulater
01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Letting Santonio go is the gift that keeps on giving. First without Holmes punching his own ticket out of town we never get to see what Mike Wallace can do as a starter. In Wallace's second season he exceeded Holmes' career highs in both yards and touchdowns for a single season. Plus he ( Wallace) broke the Steelers single season record for 100 yard games by a receiver in a season. Plus Emmanuel Sanders and Antoine Brown emerged as big time talents, players who will pay dividends for seasons to come.

Even if Holmes had been retained, there was no way this wasn't going to be his last season in Pittsburgh. He was innattentative at meetings, took plays off, and obviously Mr. Wake and Bake is another positive test from a years suspension. Oh yeah, and he wants to be paid like a superstar, which he's not.

One last bonus from dropping Bongtonio, his clinching touchdown catch against the Patriots last week gave the Steelers home field for the AFC title game. That's not to say we're guaranteed a win, but let's put it this way, if we can't beat the Jets in Pittsburgh it's really kind of hard to make the case we would have beaten the Pats in Gillete.

So any way you cut it, the Steelers benifited both in the short and the long term by getting rid of Holmes when they did,

SteelCityMom
01-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Letting Santonio go is the gift that keeps on giving. First without Holmes punching his own ticket out of town we never get to see what Mike Wallace can do as a starter. In Wallace's second season he exceeded Holmes' career highs in both yards and touchdowns for a single season. Plus he ( Wallace) broke the Steelers single season record for 100 yard games by a receiver in a season. Plus Emmanuel Sanders and Antoine Brown emerged as big time talents, players who will pay dividends for seasons to come.

Even if Holmes had been retained, there was no way this wasn't going to be his last season in Pittsburgh. He was innattentative at meetings, took plays off, and obviously Mr. Wake and Bake is another positive test from a years suspension. Oh yeah, and he wants to be paid like a superstar, which he's not.

One last bonus from dropping Bongtonio, his clinching touchdown catch against the Patriots last week gave the Steelers home field for the AFC title game. That's not to say we're guaranteed a win, but let's put it this way, if we can't beat the Jets in Pittsburgh it's really kind of hard to make the case we would have beaten the Pats in Gillete.

So any way you cut it, the Steelers benifited both in the short and the long term by getting rid of Holmes when they did,

Extremely well put! :applaudit:

mesaSteeler
01-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Well said!

harrison'samonster
01-19-2011, 07:33 PM
I never would have believed it at the time, but we have been fine without Holmes. He is a great reciever, he is a big time play-maker who delivers when it really matters. However, I wouldn't trade the receiving core we have now for anybody.

If Holmes believes that the Jets winning the Superbowl would be a slap in the face to the Steelers, then he's revealing just how personal he really takes getting traded away.

4xSBChamps
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM

There's another ring on the other hand? :noidea:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/funny%20pictures/SquirrelDrinkingBeergif.gif

Letting Santonio go is the gift that keeps on giving.

addition-via-subtraction

SteelerEmpire
01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
He's been around the Jets too long now. Now he's becoming one of them as now noted by his "talk trash" tone of speaking... Once a Steeler, always a Steeler ? He "was" a Steeler, but by his admission here, he's no longer one. He's kind of like the "Terry Bradshaw" of our former Wide Receivers ... I now give him 2 thumbs down...

Fire Arians
01-19-2011, 08:01 PM
holmes breaking the substance abuse policy was a slap in the steelers' face.

TRH
01-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Get over yourself, Santonio. We wanted to trade you.

It wasn't a good fit for the Steelers organization. You're better off with the Jets........and we're better off with Wallace, Brown, and Sanders. Period. End of story.
Like i said...get over it....This win has nothing to do with you.

MikeHaullace
01-19-2011, 08:41 PM
holmes breaking the substance abuse policy was a slap in the steelers' face.

A slap in the face to his baby mama was a slap in the face.

Or did he throw a glass? I forgot. Some sort of baby mama and organizational face slappin' goin' on there too.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 08:41 PM

There's another ring on the other hand? :noidea: :chuckle:

:toofunny::toofunny:

4xSBChamps
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
A slap in the face to his baby mama was a slap in the face.

Or did he throw a glass? I forgot. Some sort of baby mama and organizational face slappin' goin' on there too.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/SteelerFanExperience.jpg

steeltheone
01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
He's been around the Jets too long now. Now he's becoming one of them as now noted by his "talk trash" tone of speaking... Once a Steeler, always a Steeler ? He "was" a Steeler, but by his admission here, he's no longer one. He's kind of like the "Terry Bradshaw" of our former Wide Receivers ... I now give him 2 thumbs down...

Terry Bradshaw is one of the faces of this franchise. I don't get it?:tt04:

Curtain_of_Steel
01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
who cares about a self proclaimed pothead. We let him go because he didn't understand that waking and baking is not the dam steeler way.

He was a stupid jackass whose contract was coming up and wouldve wanted a huge raise. So we rid ourselves of him.

So let him go tell the jets about the defense, let him tell the jets about BB. Who cares, he is gone, and i would rather have Wallace and company anyway.

StainlessStill
01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
I've heard some messed up stories about Tone. They said he's as "street" and "gangsta" are they come, which shocked me because he seems to carry himself well and looks cleaned up. Too bad he punched his wife and got caught with weed twice by the cops. He'll never learn. Dude is all HOOD.

IowaSteeler927
01-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Caught a nice little remark from Holmes this morning on Sirius NFL Radio. When asked about going back and playing the Steelers again Holmes saying playing in the super bowl would be a smack in the face for trading him. You know I am glad he's gone now, obviously this fool hasn't figured out he was traded because he had violated the NFL's substance abuse policy for the second go round. He acts as if they just shunned him away for no reason.

I hope Ike Taylor does get a chance to knock Holmes head off.

SeinfeldNut
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Caught a nice little remark from Holmes this morning on Sirius NFL Radio. When asked about going back and playing the Steelers again Holmes saying playing in the super bowl would be a smack in the face for trading him. You know I am glad he's gone now, obviously this fool hasn't figured out he was traded because he had violated the NFL's substance abuse policy for the second go round. He acts as if they just shunned him away for no reason.

I hope Ike Taylor does get a chance to knock Holmes head off.

Yeah, I am happy with the young receivers we have now developing, such as Wallace and Sanders. He had he moments in Pittsburgh but this organization is smart enough to recognize when a guy has violated the substance abuse policy of the NFL that he no longer can be w/ this team. Yeah, it will be a long day for Holmes if he is matched up with Ike Taylor.

TailgateMel
01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
I also found it amusing that the media is playing this up like we just threw him away for no reason at all.

He got arrested, then he was posting "wake and bake" on his twitter... he obviously was thumbing his nose in the face of management of the steelers.

Plexico Burress also came up HUGE for the Giants... but look where his antics found him in the end... anyone regret getting rid of him now?

Last evening on sirius, they were saying how Holmes said, that this game isn't "personal".. yet, the last game was personal, and if they win this game and win the superbowl, then it is "personal" and he can feel like it is a smack in the steelers face for trading him. The commentators on sirius went on to basically say that him saying it is not "personal" this time is total B.S.... if it was before and it will be after, then it is now...

Mel

winningisnewtome
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Sigh...can we stop with the high and mighty crap...the guy smoked pot. big deal. Half the league is on juice and smoked up.

Is the team smart enough to realize that if a man breaks the nfl's conduct policy 2 different occasions, he should still be on the team?

stop with the hypocrisy please.

UF-Steeler
01-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Sigh...can we stop with the high and mighty crap...the guy smoked pot. big deal. Half the league is on juice and smoked up.

Is the team smart enough to realize that if a man breaks the nfl's conduct policy 2 different occasions, he should still be on the team?

When you invest 100 million dollars in a player, you don't just drop them from your team. Ben was assured that if he kept doing dumb shit he would not be looked at kindly by the organization.

Not only was Holmes arrogant and immature, he had multiple issues. He pretty much boasted how he smokes. It was his stupidity that led to him being on another team.

There is nothing high and mighty about it. It's a matter of the Steelers being a business and realizing that someone worth 100 million dollars to them isn't as expendable as a receiver that knows he has problems and doesn't even attempt to fix it.

winningisnewtome
01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
listen i understand...I am a huge yankee fan and I understand the business aspect of players worth so much.

However, I am just trying to say that you can't play the "im glad the orgnization booted holmes for violating polices and not our stud qb" card.

thats hypocritical.

Look at Ricky WIlliams...he left the league to specifically smoke pot lol...came back and produced and all was forgiven...just like all was forgiven with ben and all was forgiven with holmes.

stb_steeler
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I never would have believed it at the time, but we have been fine without Holmes. He is a great reciever, he is a big time play-maker who delivers when it really matters. However, I wouldn't trade the receiving core we have now for anybody.

If Holmes believes that the Jets winning the Superbowl would be a slap in the face to the Steelers, then he's revealing just how personal he really takes getting traded away.

Holmes failed to mention why he was traded, during that comment, he made it sound like the Steelers traded him off for no reason.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Its pretty simple really why we kept Ben and released Bongtonio when you think about it. Franchise QB's are very hard to find. Wideouts like Toke em' if you got em' Tone are a dime a dozen. Proof being Wallace, Sanders, and Brown they are all quick, have good hands, and can change a game.

grward
01-20-2011, 01:55 PM

The way I see it, most of the comments are being made B/C of what Bongtonio is saying. It's not like we brought this up.

Second, he's not taking responsibility for his actions. He was traded B/C of what he did and yet does not own up to that part of it.

Third, Ben was not found guilty. Big difference. He served his sentence and cleaned up his act. It's not at all hypocritical when the guy makes amends for his actions.

What did Bongtonio do after he got busted? Oh, that's right, lit up again.

Deserei90
01-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Don't he mean if The Steelers win The SB, It would be a slap to his face?:noidea:

chitownpit
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I like!!!!!!!!!:tt03:

chitownpit
01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Yea just like Plaxio thought we`d miss him. He`s trash, Clarks just waiting
for him to come over the middle. And when he wakes up he`ll realize it wasn`t
a slap to the face, its post concusion sydrome:toofunny:

TRH
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
These kind of guys need to get over themselves. They're not "the entire team". Holmes isn't far from joining the Braylon Edwards-Randy Moss-T.O. team of "its all about me".
Like i said.....Santonio is better off with the Jets, good luck to him....and we are better off without him. Period.

winningisnewtome
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
The way I see it, most of the comments are being made B/C of what Bongtonio is saying. It's not like we brought this up.

Second, he's not taking responsibility for his actions. He was traded B/C of what he did and yet does not own up to that part of it.

Third, Ben was not found guilty. Big difference. He served his sentence and cleaned up his act. It's not at all hypocritical when the guy makes amends for his actions.

What did Bongtonio do after he got busted? Oh, that's right, lit up again.

so just so we are clear...then your 100% fine now with Mike Vick since he did his time and made amends for his actions?

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
so just so we are clear...then your 100% fine now with Mike Vick since he did his time and made amends for his actions?

yep. He's paid his debt to society.

vasteeler
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
wait aminute, what was ben charged with ...........:coffee:

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
These kind of guys need to get over themselves. They're not "the entire team". Holmes isn't far from joining the Braylon Edwards-Randy Moss-T.O. team of "its all about me".
Like i said.....Santonio is better off with the Jets, good luck to him....and we are better off without him. Period.

I'm pretty sure that whatever finger ben wears his 2nd ring on would beg to differ

SteelCityMom
01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that whatever finger ben wears his 2nd ring on would beg to differ

He's a good player. He's not bigger than the team though. I agree with the response from TRH...one day he's going to be more of a liability than an asset to whatever team he is on. The Steelers FO has a way of sniffing that out and dealing with it (Plaxico Burress for example).

I appreciate the time he put in here. I'm more than happy with the players that have stepped up in his place though. The Steelers have let a lot of good to great players go over the years and haven't missed a beat. Tone has been no exception.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
He's a good player. He's not bigger than the team though. I agree with the response from TRH...one day he's going to be more of a liability than an asset to whatever team he is on. The Steelers FO has a way of sniffing that out and dealing with it (Plaxico Burress for example).

I appreciate the time he put in here. I'm more than happy with the players that have stepped up in his place though. The Steelers have let a lot of good to great players go over the years and haven't missed a beat. Tone has been no exception.

Yeah, we've actually been better off since he left. While I appreciate what he did when a Steeler, I'm more pleased with how our FO handled the situation.

TRH
01-20-2011, 05:14 PM

i didn't say he wasn't valuable to us in 2008. We'll always appreciate him for his SB play with us. But that was then....and this is now. And he's really not wanted here now and we're both better off.
No hard feelings toward him....thats just the way it is

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Yeah, we've actually been better off since he left. While I appreciate what he did when a Steeler, I'm more pleased with how our FO handled the situation.

i didn't say he wasn't valuable to us in 2008. We'll always appreciate him for his SB play with us. But that was then....and this is now. And he's really not wanted here now and we're both better off.
No hard feelings toward him....thats just the way it is

Those were all great responses and i fully get you what you. sometimes he makes a first down and acts like he won the SB and it pisses me off. sometimes he needs to act like he's been there before cause well...he has lol. And he's done some bonehead things too, but you can't question his ability to make clutch plays that are amazing

SteelCityMom
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Those were all great responses and i fully get you what you. sometimes he makes a first down and acts like he won the SB and it pisses me off. sometimes he needs to act like he's been there before cause well...he has lol. And he's done some bonehead things too, but you can't question his ability to make clutch plays that are amazing

Sometimes. :chuckle:

BggMrISdRIo

I'm just kidding though, I know he can be really clutch. But beware, there are those other times where you just go WTF Holmes.

TRH
01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
nope...i don't think we question his ability and he's a great asset to the Jets offense

finesward
01-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Yeah because we would never be able to replace a guy who can make clutch catches to win the game.... :coffee:

DrU9ixj0I2o

santonio who?

austinfrench76
01-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Letting Holmes go was not a "business decision" as he says. It was a reputation deciesion. They chose the fanchise QB over a troubled and talented young reciever. The Rooney's rep was taking a hit and they made a great, typical Rooney decision.

Holmes is good but we wouldn't have taken Sanders AND Brown if he was still here and he would have walked next year anyways. Don't forget, one more brush with the law, which he is bound to have with what appears to be a long off seaeson ahead with the pending labor issue, and he's suspended for a full year. Great move by a great franchise!

mcg24
01-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah because we would never be able to replace a guy who can make clutch catches to win the game.... :coffee:

DrU9ixj0I2o

santonio who?

This was my first game ever at Hines Field. I live in Wisconsin so obviously it's very difficult for me to get back out to Pitt, but wow....what a way to win it.

4xSBChamps
01-20-2011, 11:42 PM
This was my first game ever at Hines Field. I live in Wisconsin so obviously it's very difficult for me to get back out to Pitt, but wow....what a way to win it.

I watched that game at a sports-bar in central Florida with a very nice & articulate Packer fan, too-young to recall the franchise's glory years of the 1960's, and we got-along great:
when the score was still in the teens, I told him 'this game'll be won on the last possession, maybe the last play, of the game', not realizing how prophetic my words would be

mcg24
01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
I watched that game at a sports-bar in central Florida with a very nice & articulate Packer fan, too-young to recall the franchise's glory years of the 1960's, and we got-along great:
when the score was still in the teens, I told him 'this game'll be won on the last possession, maybe the last play, of the game', not realizing how prophetic my words would be

Hahaha that's a great story. It was really unfortunate, Heinz Field had quite a few empty seats due to the massive snow storm that blew through the area that weekend. Many season ticket holders couldn't make it out. The stadium exploded on the last play, I can't imagine if it would have actually been full.