View Full Version : Steelers' Smith stuck 'in limbo'

mesaSteeler
01-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Steelers' Smith stuck 'in limbo'
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_718984.html#
By Kevin Gorman
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 20, 2011

Aaron Smith won't put a percentage on his health or chances of playing in Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the New York Jets, even though the Steelers defensive end believes he can be effective at 50 percent.

Smith, out since late October with a torn triceps, said Wednesday the decision of whether he can play will come after consulting with coaches and team doctors later this week. But Smith promised he won't do anything detrimental to the Steelers' Super Bowl hopes.

"We'll have to see how I feel, how things progress," Smith said. "Hopefully, I can stand up and make the decision. If I think I'm going to hurt the team, then I'll say no."

Coach Mike Tomlin said Smith, who has missed the past 11 games, was too valuable to place on season-ending injured reserve and that the Steelers remain hopeful he can contribute this postseason.

"That's the reason why we've carried him for this long," Tomlin said. "He is a quality player and person and, if he's in a helmet, it benefits him."

The 6-foot-5, 298-pound Smith did virtually nothing during practice yesterday. Smith said tests taken Friday revealed his healing "wasn't as far along as I wanted it to be." He described his status as "in limbo."

Smith was surprised at Tomlin's suggestion this week of putting the 12th-year veteran on a snap count if he returns to the lineup. Smith rarely came out of games when healthy.

"I've never been on a snap count," he said. "Usually, when I come off the field is when I want to come off the field, so it was kind of weird for him to say there is a snap count involved. I get to my limit, and then I'm done. 'Pull him off the field, and he's done.' What if I knock (all the plays) out early in the game?"

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.

TRH
01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
well, that doesn't sound promising....

sarahpalinhater
01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
If Aaron says he is at 50 %,,,then sorry, I say IR him right now, and open up a roster space. Cause I can go in there right now at 47 years old, and 5ft, 11 and 190 Lbs and be more effective then Aaron can. IR him Tomlin.
Thisis a BUSINESS...Not friends.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 08:30 AM
We certainly could use an extra olineman on the roster.

FanSince72
01-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Well, I'm not gonna say he isn't being truthful, but you have take everything you hear during the playoffs with a huge grain of salt.

Loose lips sink ships.

We'll see.

steeltheone
01-20-2011, 09:00 AM
This is starting to get old.....it's not like we really need him. It can't hurt for a reserve. But we gave away a young player for this.

TailgateMel
01-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Tomlin said in his press conference yesterday at lunchtime that Smith will play "if he is above the line".. meaning that if he is deemed that he is playing in practice above the required level to play, then he will play.

Whether Aaron believes he can be helpful at 50% or not is a moot point, it is all what Tomlin believes, and if he believes he is "above the line". This is just media blah blah blah again, if he is ready, he will play.

nycdan
01-20-2011, 09:25 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/20/aaron-smith-will-not-face-the-jets/

Not gonna play.

pete74
01-20-2011, 10:43 AM
i read he isnt playing and im glad. he isnt 100% and we may need all the players we have to beat the jets

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 11:46 AM
well i guess too late to IR him

shoulda kept gibson.

50% seriously? that tells me he's in NO shape to play and probably won't even be healthy if we make it to the super bowl

fer522
01-20-2011, 12:12 PM
hes a difference maker but we have Ziggy and hes done one hell of a job
we should IR him and and get some help where we really need it

Steelboy84
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
We certainly could use an extra olineman on the roster.

Ain't that the truth.