PDA

View Full Version : field position and a banged up secondary

wutchy
01-20-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm worried about two things for this weekend game against the Jets.
Field Position
Banged Up Secondary

The Steelers surely will lose the field position battle because the Jets are obviously far superior as far as special teams go. Steeler special teams is a "glaring" weakness.

That will put extra pressure on the defense to stop the Jets offense from scoring - even field goals.

That makes every pass completed against the Steelers that much more important. 5 field goals IS 15 points.

B MAC has hip and AB problems that are hard to shake. Both those injuries are especially hard on a player.
B MAC and Will Allen both didn't practice. Allen has a knee.

Field position, coupled with a banged up secondary, are huge areas of concern for me going into this game.

I think we'll see a lot of dime coverage, which takes the Steelers out of their A-Game of 4 LB's. The B-Game may have to suffice.

Ike, Gay, and Madison - with Clark, Polamalu, and Mundy, will have to make plays to win this game. They are going to have to turn the field position game with playmaking.

grward
01-20-2011, 08:14 AM
What is your deal? Are you suicide-prone by any chance? I'm mean you seriously need to starting looking at things in a more positive light!

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2011, 08:17 AM

YYqnoULgD30

Curtain_of_Steel
01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Gay for the last 4 games has consistently made plays. They just need to keep Troy from floating to much and taking chances, thereby shutting down half the field in mid to deep routes.

McF has been more of a liability at times than an asset anyway.

We will be plenty fine.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Field Position
Banged Up Secondary

The Steelers surely will lose the field position battle because the Jets are obviously far superior as far as special teams go.

Why bother playing then.

5 field goals IS 15 points.

No shit. Looks like we have a rocket scientist in our midst people.

B MAC has hip and AB problems that are hard to shake. Both those injuries are especially hard on a player.
Again, no shit. Tell me who isn't banged up this time of year.

I think we'll see a lot of dime coverage, which takes the Steelers out of their A-Game of 4 LB's. The B-Game may have to suffice.
What? They want to run the ball, we will not be in a lot of dime coverage, did you even watch the last game between these two teams? Have you watched any of the Jets playoff games?

steelax04
01-20-2011, 08:57 AM
http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy127/coryswartz/meanwhile-in-finland.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
wutchy must be french for wussy... everyone of his posts are of the doom and gloom ,throw in the towel , surrender , we should just forfeit nature.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/SmileySurrender.gif

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blpic-chiracpuppets.htm

sarahpalinhater
01-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Gay for the last 4 games has consistently made plays. They just need to keep Troy from floating to much and taking chances, thereby shutting down half the field in mid to deep routes.

McF has been more of a liability at times than an asset anyway.

We will be plenty fine.

As for kick-offs, I would agree on starting field position. Only because our kicker doesn't have a huge driving leg. But that only comes into play after WE would score, or the opening kick-off. But our punt coverage has been pretty steady for the most part. The key will not be our secondary. The key will be our front-7, and our ability to keep Sanchez from being in the constant 3rd and 5 or less plays where he has gotten into a rythum. Put Sanchez in 3rd and 8 or longer, and he mostly fails. Also footing will be huge for the Jets two cutback runners. Our field the first game against them was in great condition. And the team got it ready for the first playoff game against Baltimore, but are not doing anything for this weeks game. Which means footing for Tomlinson and Greene will be tough. Usually I love the idea of kicking off to our opponents so we can start on defense, and get the 2nd half kick-off. But in this case, I want us to get the ball first. I want to see us at the leaast drive it to the 40 yard line or so, and if we do have to punt, we can give Sanchez a 90 Yd + field to look at his opening drive. And the chances are he will be nervouse, and make a mistake.

And that's when we steal momentum, and this game :tt03:

steelerschik
01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
What is your deal? Are you suicide-prone by any chance? I'm mean you seriously need to starting looking at things in a more positive light!

LOL, this is a Ravens fan or Jets fan, leaning towards Ravens since all his anti-Steelers posts started before the Ravens game. I mean really, he still had Stefan Logan on the roster yesterday. Can't even troll properly.

TRH
01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Field Position
Banged Up Secondary

The Steelers surely will lose the field position battle because the Jets are obviously far superior as far as special teams go. Steeler special teams is a "glaring" weakness.

That will put extra pressure on the defense to stop the Jets offense from scoring - even field goals.

That makes every pass completed against the Steelers that much more important. 5 field goals IS 15 points.

Field position, coupled with a banged up secondary, are huge areas of concern for me going into this game.

Ike, Gay, and Madison - with Clark, Polamalu, and Mundy, will have to make plays to win this game. They are going to have to turn the field position game with playmaking.

1. "the Steelers will surely lose the field position battle" ?
there's NO WAY of knowing that right now. No way. If we play well, its entirely possible that we win that battle.

2. That said...........i will agree w/you that the Jets S/T's unit is without question better than ours. Ours is one step above a disaster and has cost us terrible field position in most of our losses this year.
I will give you this.....its going to be a critical aspect of Sunday's game. We can't allow them to be running kick-offs back to mid-field and beyond constantly. We also can't allow them to be punting us back inside our 10 yard line and expect the offense to be marching 90 yards all the time.
WE HAVE to win this battle. I believe the S/T's play, field position the #1 part of the S/T's, is absolutely one of the most important parts of this game and if someone clearly wins this one, it wouldn't be surprising if they also won the game.

TailgateMel
01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
YYqnoULgD30

You don't happen to tailgate in Blue 7G or Blue 7H do you? The guy who is the blaring DJ in Blue 7G plays that clip over the loudspeaker about 25x per tailgate....

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
You don't happen to tailgate in Blue 7G or Blue 7H do you? The guy who is the blaring DJ in Blue 7G plays that clip over the loudspeaker about 25x per tailgate....

LOL

Nope - just seemed like an appropriate response to someone who worries too much and appears to have trouble getting to sleep:chuckle:

ruruthagame
01-20-2011, 12:21 PM
SPECIAL TEAMS COVERAGE,HAS BEEN A ISSUE FOR A FEW YEARS,AND ITS A VITAL AREA IN A GAME LIKE THIS IS GOING TO BE,BECAUSE SANCHAZ NEEDS EVER ADVANTAGE HE CAN GET,A SHORT FEILD BENIFTS HIM MORE,BUT IF WE CAN GET PRESSURE/AND PUT HIM IN 3RD AND LONG SITUATIONS I BELEIVE WELL BE ALRIGHT,

pete74
01-20-2011, 01:31 PM
i dont see how anyone can be worried. everyone keeps thinking this will be a very close game but i gurentee we beat the hell out of them. this is the jets not the ravens and when they got lucky and beat the pats last weekend they gave us our super bowl tickets. this will be a much easier game then most think. i doubt our offense will have to score more then 2td's because our defense will get 1 or 2

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
i dont see how anyone can be worried. everyone keeps thinking this will be a very close game but i gurentee we beat the hell out of them. this is the jets not the ravens and when they got lucky and beat the pats last weekend they gave us our super bowl tickets. this will be a much easier game then most think. i doubt our offense will have to score more then 2td's because our defense will get 1 or 2

I don't take any game for granted. I still am haunted by the AFCCG's against the Chargers and Pats(1st meeting) where I thought victory was almost a sure thing.

Now I'm confident as hell our team can come out and win it, for sure. But I just don't ever say it's guaranteed. You know?

WickedSteel
01-20-2011, 02:02 PM
The thing that worries me is the Steelers' struggles against the short and intermediate passes coupled with their difficulty pressuring the QB at times this season. The Steelers have has a weak secondary for quite some time now but it was masked by their ability to pressure and sack the QB and force him into mistakes. Lately they have had some trouble pressuring the QB and their secondary gets torched.

I am confident that the D can effectively shut down Green and LT but picking them up out of the backfield may be a problem. Dustin Keller also provides a problem. He is more like and overgrown WR and provides match up nightmares with LBs. If the OC for the Jets calls plays that allow Sanchez to get rid of the ball quickly to check downs, he could eat the Steelers D for lunch. That is exactly how the Pats beat us all the time. If Ike is going to be covering Holmes, I am concerned about an injured B Mac covering a very big and physical Edwards. We all saw Braylon's TD against the Pats where he drug to defenders with him into the endzone. The Jets are going to be throwing and if Sanchez has time, he can make the throws. Troy needs to bring his A+ game this week also. He needs to be in position to make the play and be a factor.

On the offensive side, the O-line needs to be tremendous. Ben needs to be able to find the open receiver without having defenders in his face on every drop back. Revis will probably do a great job covering Wallace and Cromartie will probably be superb on Ward also. Add to the fact that Heath will probably have to do a lot of blocking to keep the Jets out of Ben's face and that leaves Sanders and Brown to carry the offense. Arians needs to call a flawless game and not be looking for the homerun on every play. He needs to do exactly what the Pats do so well and take what the D gives to you. Short completions for 7 yards are just fine if that's what the D will give you. If you have success running the ball and hitting the short routes, you can get the safeties to cheat up a little and then try for the bomb in man coverage. Arians needs to get Ben into some 3 and 5 step drops to get rid of the ball quickly. I feel that the Jets will bring the pressure hard to get to Ben. They are confident in their corners playing man to man and will blitz regardless of what Ryan is saying.

And lastly the special teams need to have a solid game. They can't allow kick and punt returns to midfield all the time and give the Jets a short field. Even if they don't score, it will allow them to pin the Steelers deep and force them to go 90+ yards on their D.

Keys to the game:

1. Pressure Sanchez and force mistakes.
2. Protect Ben and take what the D gives you. It doesn't have to be a HR every time Bruce!
3.-Field position is key. Both offenses are pedestrian so field position is important.

The weather may also play a role too. The temperature at game time will likely be in the low teens and falling as the night wears on. The football will be hard and slick, the turf will be like concrete and cramping may become and issue for some players.

caseyviator
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM

great post this has been what ive been sayin hey we didnt play that well last time and still should have won..also we did not have miller and troy 2 big time players and they got a gift kick return/
this time its a technical blowout 37-23 which is only 14points but thats with us up alot and doin alot of 4th quarter running to kill time...this game is not close
iN TRUTH thEY gave US OUR SUPERBOWL TICKETs by beatin new england

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Steelers passing game before the Patriots* game ranked 28th, now we are ranked 12th I believe. Before the Pats game we were giving up over 200 yards passing a game. Since then we are giving up 156 yards a game. That is a huge improvement. Basically to get from the 28th ranking to the 12th spot in less than half a season means you have to have the best pass defense during that period. I'm not concerned about them throwing all over us. We've been playing a lot more press coverage lately when blitzing to take away those short to intermediate routes. Timmons can cover Keller with out too much trouble.

What they need to be concerned about is Miller against their cement footed(no pun intended) linebackers. That's a glaring hole for them, they reallly don't have passrushing linebackers, they are mostly run stuffers that can't get to the edge.

SteelCityMom
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Lately they have had some trouble pressuring the QB and their secondary gets torched.

I do agree with pretty much all your points in the rest of your post...but have you even watched any games since the Pats game? When have they had trouble getting to the QB and when has the secondary been getting burned?

I'll admit that for some of the season they were letting up a lot of yardage, but they weren't allowing very many TD's or points in general. The only real anomaly was the Pats game. In fact, they let up the fewest points in the league. Getting torched usually equals letting up big plays for points. That just didn't happen a lot at all this season.

kirklandrules
01-20-2011, 03:09 PM
The thing that worries me is the Steelers' struggles against the short and intermediate passes coupled with their difficulty pressuring the QB at times this season.

I thought the Steelers did very well against those dump passes the Ravens tried. Best I've seen them respond. Seemed like every time Flacco dumped to the outlet, 2-3 defenders converged on the guy which resulted in 2 or 3 yard gains.

Also, the Steelers haven't struggled in pressuring the QB during the playoffs. Seems they turn up the heat a notch or two in the post season.

I really feel this team is peaking now. The defense is playing the best it's played all year and seeing the offense hang 24 in the second half against a solid defensive team makes me feel pretty good.

Lord of Lombardi
01-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Field Position
Banged Up Secondary

"The Steelers surely will lose the field position battle"
"5 Field goals is 15 points"
Those two comments are all I needed to read to realize we are dealing with an ASS.

Thier best return man has an injured groin, their FG kicker is not money by any means. Please cheer for the Jets or Ravens since you think like them.

wutchy
01-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I wrote that "I"m worried about two things this weekend."
FIELD POSITION
BANGED UP SECONDARY

EXCUSE THE SHIT OUT OF ME FOR BEING A TRAITOR!

Is it a crime to be concerned about those two things IF YOU ARE A STEELER FAN?

Or do you just spout off about how easy the game will be?

Field position is a legitimate worry. So is B MAC's Ab injury, and Will Allen's knee.

Special teams could give the jets a short field all day.
If B MAC and Will Allen can't go, then you have to go to your 6th and 7th options.

Ike will have his hands full if he covers Santonio.
Gay will have to cover a guy a half a foot taller than him
And the Steeler DB that couldn't even play in the dime will have to cover Cotchery.
TO SAY NOTHING ABOUT COVERING KELLER AND LT OUT OF THE BACKFIELD. IF YOU PLAY 5 OR 6 DB'S, YOU ONLY HAVE 2 OR 3 LB'S TO COVER KELLER AND LT OUT OF THE BACKFIELD. WHICH TWO LB'S CAN COVER LT AND KELLER?

These are legitimate concerns.

I can't change it. It doesn't keep me awake at night.

I'M JUST A STEELER FAN ON A STEELER DISCUSSION BOARD MAKING DISCUSSION.

USUALLY, I JUST SEE A BUNCH OF POLLYANNA NUMBSKULL OPTOMIST STUFF ABOUT HOW EASY EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE.

IF YOU DON'T SEE THE SPECIAL TEAM AND FIELD POSITION PROBLEM, AND THE BANGED UP SECONDARY PROBLEM- YOU'LL BE THE CRYBABY CRYING ABOUT
"WAAAA, THE STEELER CORNERS PLAYED TOO FAR OFF".

WELL, IF YOU HAVE THREE CORNERS COVERING THREE WR'S, THEN YOU BETTER BE PLAYING OFF BECAUSE YOU AREN'T GOING TO HAVE SAFETY HELP DEEP. IF YOU HAVE SAFETY HELP DEEP, YOU HAVE TO SIT LB'S.

THEN IF YOU HAVE INJURED CORNERS, THEN THE CATCH NUMBERS GO UP, AND WITH A SHORT FIELD, IT TRANSLATES INTO POINTS. FIELD GOAL OR NOT.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I wrote that "I"m worried about two things this weekend."
FIELD POSITION
BANGED UP SECONDARY

EXCUSE THE SHIT OUT OF ME FOR BEING A TRAITOR!

Is it a crime to be concerned about those two things IF YOU ARE A STEELER FAN?

Or do you just spout off about how easy the game will be?

Field position is a legitimate worry. So is B MAC's Ab injury, and Will Allen's knee.

Special teams could give the jets a short field all day.
If B MAC and Will Allen can't go, then you have to go to your 6th and 7th options.

Ike will have his hands full if he covers Santonio.
Gay will have to cover a guy a half a foot taller than him
And the Steeler DB that couldn't even play in the dime will have to cover Cotchery.
TO SAY NOTHING ABOUT COVERING KELLER AND LT OUT OF THE BACKFIELD. IF YOU PLAY 5 OR 6 DB'S, YOU ONLY HAVE 2 OR 3 LB'S TO COVER KELLER AND LT OUT OF THE BACKFIELD. WHICH TWO LB'S CAN COVER LT AND KELLER?

These are legitimate concerns.

I can't change it. It doesn't keep me awake at night.

I'M JUST A STEELER FAN ON A STEELER DISCUSSION BOARD MAKING DISCUSSION.

USUALLY, I JUST SEE A BUNCH OF POLLYANNA NUMBSKULL OPTOMIST STUFF ABOUT HOW EASY EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE.

IF YOU DON'T SEE THE SPECIAL TEAM AND FIELD POSITION PROBLEM, AND THE BANGED UP SECONDARY PROBLEM- YOU'LL BE THE CRYBABY CRYING ABOUT
"WAAAA, THE STEELER CORNERS PLAYED TOO FAR OFF".

WELL, IF YOU HAVE THREE CORNERS COVERING THREE WR'S, THEN YOU BETTER BE PLAYING OFF BECAUSE YOU AREN'T GOING TO HAVE SAFETY HELP DEEP. IF YOU HAVE SAFETY HELP DEEP, YOU HAVE TO SIT LB'S.

THEN IF YOU HAVE INJURED CORNERS, THEN THE CATCH NUMBERS GO UP, AND WITH A SHORT FIELD, IT TRANSLATES INTO POINTS. FIELD GOAL OR NOT.

Sorry to see you are having trouble with your caps lock key

A modest suggestion - less Red Bull, more warm milk or a stiff shot of whiskey at night to calm the nerves :drink:

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Dude, you thought Stephan Logan was still on the team. We can see right through your facade.