PDA

View Full Version : Revis - Part CB/ Part Ghost

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 10:12 AM
The first forward pass in a professional football game is believed to have been completed by George “Peggy” Parratt of the Massillon (Ohio) Tigers to his favorite receiver, Dan “Bullett” Riley, on Oct. 27, 1906.

We mention this now because, of the few million passes that have left the hands of quarterbacks since then, one certainly has had to come at the expense of Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Darrelle Revis describes defending Ben Roethlisberger and defines "plastering" Darrelle Revis describes defending Ben Roethlisberger and defines "plastering" New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis compares the job of defending New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady to the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and in the process defines what it means to "plaster" a receiver. Video by John Munson/The Star-Ledger Watch video
At least, you’d think that was the case. The problem is, no one can quite remember the last time it actually happened, and we’re not talking about some routine 13-yard gain for a first down.

When was the last time a fully healthy Revis was torched on a play, when he watched helplessly as a receiver danced in the end zone with the football before sulking to the sideline a beaten man?

When he looked, you know, like every other cornerback in pro football does on a routine basis?

“Nope. It doesn’t happen,” safety James Ihedigbo said.

“No. I really can’t,” head coach Rex Ryan said.

“Uhhhhh ... I don’t know,” Revis himself said, wearing a look that he never wears on the field.

Utter confusion.

This is the mastery of Revis, what sets him apart from any player in the NFL. He changes an offense without making a play. He is part cornerback, part ghost — he covers, but when he is at his best, he also haunts.

The Colts completely ignored their No. 1 receiver, Reggie Wayne, in the playoff opener despite his 111 catches during the regular season. They lost, and Wayne was furious.

The Patriots decided to throw at Revis last weekend, with Tom Brady targeting him when he was locked on Deion Branch. They lost, with Revis ripping the ball from the receiver’s hand on one play.

Now the Steelers get their crack, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has equally dangerous receivers in Hines Ward and Mike Wallace. Revis can only cover one, but if he takes Ward out of the game, it frees up the secondary to shift toward the other side of the field.

The Jets, once a blitz-first-and-ask-questions-later defense under Ryan, are sitting back and disrupting offenses with their coverages, and Revis’ perfection is a big part of their success.

“It’s not like he’s just playing corner,” Ryan said. “A lot of times, we’ll give him the toughest down. You have no help and that offense knows you never get help.”

Rex Ryan looks ahead to matchup with the Steelers Rex Ryan looks ahead to matchup with the Steelers Rex Ryan speaks about his wishes for green and white confetti on Sunday, the greatness of Darelle Revis, whom he compared to Deion Sanders, and the New York versus New Jersey Jets. Video by John Munson/The Star-Ledger Watch video

If teams take a shot at him, Ryan said, “we have as good a chance as catching the football as they do.” Revis doesn’t have an interception since the playoff game last year against the Chargers, and that’s mostly because opposing quarterbacks avoid him like a groupie with a cell phone camera.

As for him getting burned? You have to go back to Week 5 for anything close to an example. Vikings receiver Percy Harvin ran past him for a 34-yard touchdown on a crossing route. Three weeks before that, Randy Moss made that one-handed catch in the end zone for the Patriots.

But Revis was still playing on one leg after pulling a hamstring. Revis admitted Wednesday that he knew his training-camp holdout would limit his effectiveness early in the season.

“We all knew it was going to be a setback,” Revis said. “The coaches knew, (GM Mike) Tannenbaum knew and all those guys knew because I hadn’t been in football mode.

“My personal goals are set high. I didn’t reach a lot of them this year, but one of those goals is where we’re at right now: winning this game and going to the Super Bowl.”

His goals were 50 tackles (he had 32), eight interceptions (he had none), the Pro Bowl (accomplished) and, of course, the one at stake this weekend. Revis will play in the AFC Championship Game in the shadow of his hometown, calling Aliquippa, Pa., “a tough town that makes you grow up fast.”

He’ll have plenty of fans from that town at Heinz Field, but coming specifically to watch Revis play is like watching a ghost. You don’t see much, but he can still scare the hell out of people.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Dude post your Revis Spam on your own boards.

steelerforlife
01-20-2011, 10:17 AM
All you talk about is Revis this and Revis that. Get off your man crush and realize he is not the entire jets team. Yoi!

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Dude post your Revis Spam on your own boards.

i do lol
Feel free to come to my board and post articles

All you talk about is Revis this and Revis that. Get off your man crush and realize he is not the entire jets team. Yoi!

I know, but he gets the most press since hes the best player at his position in like 15 years

SteelCityMom
01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Who's this Revis guy everyone is talking about? :noidea:

Is he playing in the game this week or something?

:chuckle:

Devil's D
01-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Revis is great, look back in the draft discussions on this forum, many Steelers fans wanted him…the smart ones still do!

He is essentially going to take one WR out of the PASSING game. I hope that it is Ward, and I hope that Ward gets into his head…see Ed Reed last week…..just hope that the penalty falls the other way this time. Further, I think that the Steelers will be running the ball, and I really like the idea of Ward blocking Revis.

The Steelers have more than one weapon, Ben will find the open man…if he has too, and they will win as a team.

By the way:

Troy creates a much bigger problem for Sanchez than Revis creates for Ben.

grward
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Darrelle Revis describes defending Ben Roethlisberger and defines "plastering" Darrelle Revis describes defending Ben Roethlisberger and defines "plastering" New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis compares the job of defending New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady to the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and in the process defines what it means to "plaster" a receiver.

I quit reading the article when I couldn't make sense of this "wannabe" sentence. :coffee:

Jetsfan115
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Revis is great, look back in the draft discussions on this forum, many Steelers fans wanted him…the smart ones still do!

He is essentially going to take one WR out of the PASSING game. I hope that it is Ward, and I hope that Ward gets into his head…see Ed Reed last week…..just hope that the penalty falls the other way this time. Further, I think that the Steelers will be running the ball, and I really like the idea of Ward blocking Revis.

The Steelers have more than one weapon, Ben will find the open man…if he has too, and they will win as a team.

By the way:

Troy creates a much bigger problem for Sanchez than Revis creates for Ben.

troy creates an issue in the fact you have to locate where he is and be very cautious throwing to his area. Revis creates an issue that he takes a QBs favorite target out of the game. that gets frustrating to a QB whether they admit it or not. plus revis being there makes QBs not even look his way and when they do that even if the WR he is covering gets open the QB won't see it.

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
my revis is bigger than yours

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 11:41 AM
my revis is bigger than yours
no way, my REVIS is bigger than yours. <------see

caseyviator
01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
I DONT EVEN KNOW WHO REVIS IS????? i looked up nfl leaders and hes nowhere TO BE FOUND. NOT IN Ints,tackles,passes defended,sacks,ints, intS, WHO IS HE??? I NEVER HEARD OF HIM Must be a ghost

steeelers 37 JETS 23 A BLOWOUT IN THESE GAMES!!!!

COME ON RRRREEEVVIISS SHOW URSELF WHAT NUMBER IS HE IS HE ON THE PROGRAM?????????????

NOW I KNOW WHo 43 is and i know who sanches and holmes and edwards are.

SteelCityMom
01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
troy creates an issue in the fact you have to locate where he is and be very cautious throwing to his area. Revis creates an issue that he takes a QBs favorite target out of the game. that gets frustrating to a QB whether they admit it or not. plus revis being there makes QBs not even look his way and when they do that even if the WR he is covering gets open the QB won't see it.

That would be a good argument if Ben had one favorite reciever. He doesn't. He spreads the ball out pretty equally.

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 12:07 PM
b-b-b-b--b-but he's REVIS! HE CAN'T BE BEAT! NEVER!!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/09/20/gal_jets_patriots07.jpg

lionslicer
01-20-2011, 12:09 PM
b-b-b-b--b-but he's REVIS! HE CAN'T BE BEAT! NEVER!!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/09/20/gal_jets_patriots07.jpg

hey... he pulled his hamstring

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 12:10 PM
hey... he pulled his hamstring

ironically right after the play too. he prolly had a sore vagina

i'll put money down he was pulling a 'sweed'

lionslicer
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
ironically right after the play too. he prolly had a sore vagina

i'll put money down he was pulling a 'sweed'

Well Moss is the 64th greatest player of all time, you can't expect future hall of famer Revis to be that good in his 4th season.

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Well Moss is the 64th greatest player of all time, you can't expect future hall of famer Revis to be that good in his 4th season.

calling revis a future HOFer is a little premature. cromartie had 10 INT's in his 2nd season and everyone thought he'd be great. so great the chargers didn't think he was worth re-signing. sure he had a great season last year, HOF staus have to keep that up for 10+ years

moss isn't what he used to be and wallace is faster than randy. just saying. I hope they lock revis on wallace 1on1 and think he won't need safety help over the top. I really do :chuckle:

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Oh he'll need safety help, which will make the game 10 on 9.

JETSallDay
01-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I DONT EVEN KNOW WHO REVIS IS????? i looked up nfl leaders and hes nowhere TO BE FOUND. NOT IN Ints,tackles,passes defended,sacks,ints, intS, WHO IS HE??? I NEVER HEARD OF HIM Must be a ghost

steeelers 37 JETS 23 A BLOWOUT IN THESE GAMES!!!!

COME ON RRRREEEVVIISS SHOW URSELF WHAT NUMBER IS HE IS HE ON THE PROGRAM?????????????

NOW I KNOW WHo 43 is and i know who sanches and holmes and edwards are.

hahahahaahha...you mad?

mcg24
01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
i do lol
Feel free to come to my board and post articles

You see, regular people stay on their teams forums. Why would we want to go to the Jets forums? You are a troll, nothing more.

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
this thread belongs in the nfl football thread. nothing to do with the steelers

mcg24
01-20-2011, 01:52 PM

And nothing that we care about. I've heard enough Revis nonsense in the past 3 days to last me a few years.

SteelCityMom
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I meant to earlier, but got caught up in reading something else.

lionslicer
01-20-2011, 08:45 PM
calling revis a future HOFer is a little premature. cromartie had 10 INT's in his 2nd season and everyone thought he'd be great. so great the chargers didn't think he was worth re-signing. sure he had a great season last year, HOF staus have to keep that up for 10+ years

moss isn't what he used to be and wallace is faster than randy. just saying. I hope they lock revis on wallace 1on1 and think he won't need safety help over the top. I really do :chuckle:

I was being stupidly sarcastic.. Like Jets fans, but they aren't sarcastic

MikeHaullace
01-21-2011, 04:47 AM
After watching the last drive against the Jets last game...

I am really looking forward to this game.

Hopefully, if Revis grabs Sanders by the helmet while he's trying to catch a ball, he'll get the call.

Hopefully, if Sanders catches another ball in Revis' vicinity, he can juke him again for 1st down yardage.

Hopefully, if Sanders gets his jersey tugged, preventing him from catching a TD pass in thte EZ, a flag will be thrown. (i know, i know... not revis. but important nonetheless)

Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown, Heath.

Ben throwin' the rock.

He gets protection or gets free most of the time.

Can. Not. Wait.