PDA

View Full Version : Nickel D

SteelKnight
01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
I know we play Gay a lot. 3 WR sets are just too common in the NFL these days. We might have to change our mentality of the traditional starting line up on D if the traditional starting line up on O has changed to more than 2 WRs.

So I noticed during the fumble play in Baltimore that Gay, Hampton and Farrior were playing. So does that mean Timmons is the one they are taking out a lot in the nickel? I didn't get to see.

Obviously sometimes they take Hampton out so it seems the Steelers have 2 nickels...one with Hampton out and the other with...I'm guessing Timmons out.

Gay is in there a lot...might as well call him a starter.

SteelKnight
01-20-2011, 06:07 PM
So anyway, I have a feeling it is Timmons who has been out. This might explain why he seems to have quieted down. I remember him being more prominent early on in the season.

I guess if it is 3rd and obvious pass they remove Hampton but if a team uses 3 WR on first down Timmons comes out. Can anyone confirm this?

Either way, Gay plays a whole lot.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-20-2011, 06:09 PM
I think Gay is ridiculously good as a nickel. He showed this his rookie year and anytime since when he gets the opportunity. He's not made to be a starter at CB, but he is for sure as good a nickel as you'll find.

SteelKnight
01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I think Gay is ridiculously good as a nickel. He showed this his rookie year and anytime since when he gets the opportunity. He's not made to be a starter at CB, but he is for sure as good a nickel as you'll find.

I thought that earlier in the season but IDK now. i am comfortable if he always has safety help. I'm not sure if that was a zone play on the Clark INT and he was only trying to cover the under or whether heap beat him and we were lucky Clark was backing him up.

I think he should be able to cover Cotchery with no problem though.

My main concern will be Bmac vs Edwards. BMac will need help.