PDA

View Full Version : Thursday's news and note

mesaSteeler
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Thursday's news and notes

Thursday's practice report is the same as Wednesday's for the Steelers.

Troy Polamalu, Will Allen, Arnaz Battle and Bryant McFadden all sat out again for the Steelers.

Aaron Smith was again limited.

The Steelers, however, expect to have everyone available with the exception of Allen and Smith.

Jason Taylor was cleared to return to practice for the Jets after suffering a concussion last week.

But, the Jets continue to have a number of defensive backs who are limited, including Darrelle Revis.

Polamalu, by the way, has always been very active visiting hospitals and talking with sick children there.

Apparently, he's developed a friendship with one young lady who has Ewing's Sarcoma, which forced her to have part of a lung and several ribs removed.

Here's a picture of Polamalu visiting the young lady at the hospital. Yes, they're playing Guitar Hero.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8QgWFlPZnHI/TTjMYtBCttI/AAAAAAAAAA8/KTTeO-0yJw4/s320/ATT00002.jpg

Polamalu and the young lady share texts, even in a big week like this one, and he brought her his game jersey from the win over Baltimore.

posted by Dale Lolley @ 6:47 PM 1 Comments Links to this post

steeltheone
01-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Wow...True Role Model

mesaSteeler
01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Pure class!

LVSteelersfan
01-20-2011, 08:22 PM
What, he's not out gang banging with his homies? Oh, that is Santokio Holmes. Troy has more class in his little pinkie finger than Holmes does any day of the week.

Steelboy84
01-20-2011, 08:52 PM
What, he's not out gang banging with his homies? Oh, that is Santokio Holmes. Troy has more class in his little pinkie finger than Holmes does any day of the week.

Whatchu talkin bout Willis? Lol

SH-Rock
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Troy Polamalu is awesome. The most humble and hardworking person I've ever seen. No wonder he is the face of Pittsburgh!

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
they're playing rock band not guitar hero. there's no drums in guitar hero :P

PhantomJB93
01-20-2011, 09:56 PM
they're playing rock band not guitar hero. there's no drums in guitar hero :P

Ironically, Guitar Hero does have drums now (and mic)

But they are playing Rock Band instruments so...

[/end video game nerd rant lol]

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Ironically, Guitar Hero does have drums now (and mic)

But they are playing Rock Band instruments so...

[/end video game nerd rant lol]

ah didn't know that. well, carry on then hehe.

MattsMe
01-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the little girl is Heather Miller. Big Snack was another player that spent time with her.

The writer above makes it sound like Troy was just visiting her this week. Unfortunately Heather passed away almost a year ago:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_687854.html

4xSBChamps
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
friends of mine had a daughter (who passed-away in August 2009) who was visited by Polamalu (at-least once?) while she was hospitalized for months on-end... said he'd come unannounced, visit with children, then leave without saying a word

JETSallDay
01-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Great to see that Polamalu story!
Sanchez has a very inspiring story too...one that wasn't supposed to get any press...the Jets weren't going to talk about it, and Sanchez was going to keep to himself, but the kid's family didn't want his actions to go unseen...great story.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5991920

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Sanchez has a very inspiring story too...one that wasn't supposed to get any press...the Jets weren't going to talk about it, and Sanchez was going to keep to himself, but the kid's family didn't want his actions to go unseen...great story.

sorry we don't give a crap about sanchez, keep that shit out of this thread

tony hipchest
01-20-2011, 10:26 PM
sorry we don't give a crap about sanchez, keep that shit out of this threadc'mon now... our new jetsfan friend is just trying to keep up with the joneses, and his little game of one-upsmanship shouldnt go unnoticed.

while not a great football player, sanchez does sincerely come across as a good genuine guy, and im not suprized he would follow in the footsteps of a great USC alumn (atleast he didnt go the OJ route... yet).

i certainly hope more atheletes are doing things like this that we dont know about.

MattsMe
01-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Sorry JETSallday, we don't all feel this way.

Not to take away anything from what Sanchez did, but something always bothers me when athletes talk about their good deeds.

JETSallDay
01-20-2011, 10:27 PM

Just sharing a great story. I'm inspired by Polamalu and all kinds of stories, like the Sanchez one, and thought some people might be as well.

Fire Arians
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
c'mon now... our new jetsfan friend is just trying to keep up with the joneses, and his little game of one-upsmanship shouldnt go unnoticed.

while not a great football player, sanchez does sincerely come across as a good genuine guy, and im not suprized he would follow in the footsteps of a great USC alumn (atleast he didnt go the OJ route... yet).

i certainly hope more atheletes are doing things like this that we dont know about.

we can be friends after the game, I get fired up for the games by hating the opposition. been that way since I played football as a kid growing up, that part of me won't ever leave. shake hands after the game's over lol (unless it's the patriots)

JETSallDay
01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
we can be friends after the game, I get fired up for the games by hating the opposition. been that way since I played football as a kid growing up, that part of me won't ever leave. shake hands after the game's over lol (unless it's the patriots)

Now that I can agree on!:wink02:

SteelCityMom
01-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Some things just go way beyond football or sports.

That was a really good read (as was the OP of course). I'm glad he got to meet his idol. Sounds like he was a really awesome kid. Thanks for posting.