PDA

View Full Version : largest fan base???

beer72
01-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Just watching first and 10. They asked out of the remaining teams who has the largest fan base? Skip said Pitt and rob said the cheese heads? really C'MON MAN

SoCalFan
01-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I seen that too,ROB just showed in the end he is a packer homer admitting in the end we have more fans:tt03:,they all know WORLDWIDE STEELER NATION is in charge!Chiming in from sunny southern Cali......

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Packers have one of the largest fan bases ever. you know the top 3 franchises for consecutive sell outs? Pack, Giants, and Jets. and that's a measurable fact, not opinion.

Also Jets are currently the most followed team on twitter.

Can i please see one statement here that's semi-unbiased?

MikeHaullace
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Packers have one of the largest fan bases ever. you know the top 3 franchises for consecutive sell outs? Pack, Giants, and Jets. and that's a measurable fact, not opinion.

O RLY? (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/columns/story?id=3530077)

nycdan
01-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Please ignore my fellow Jet fan. He's still drunk from last week apparently and has failed at his fact-finding.

(yes, I'm aware that the Steelers appear to have the 2nd-longest consecutive sellout streak (Redskins #1). Just doing a little self-maintenance here).

SoCalFan
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks nycdan for clearing that up.From East to West at stadiums everywhere,wherever the Steelers go,you see stadiums with Terrible Towels waving throughout!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03:

lionslicer
01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
consecutive sell out streaks don't prove how big the fan base is, but that the fan base in the city is committed enough to come to the games.

I think the Cowboys have the most fans, they aren't as committed as steeler fans, but number wise, theres more.

StainlessStill
01-21-2011, 12:02 PM

FACEPALM!:banging::coffee:

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Thats an OPINION article. sellouts are a tangible number

SteelCityMom
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Uh what?

Sellout streaks through the end of the 2008 regular season:

1. Washington Redskins ... 327
2. Pittsburgh Steelers ... 307
3. Denver Broncos ... 301
4. San Franciso 49ers ... 267
5. New York Giants ... 264
6. Green Bay Packers ... 261*
7. New York Jets ... 257
8. Chicago Bears ... 198
9. Dallas Cowboys ... 161
10. New England Patriots ... 159
11. Kansas City Chiefs ... 149
12. Baltimore Ravens ... 104
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers ... 88
14. Indianapolis Colts ... 81
15. Philadelphia Eagles ... 80
15. Tennessee Titans ... 80

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_NFL_team_has_the_longest_sell_out_streak#ixzz 1Bh8PY1Sn

How about pulling your head out of your "unbiased" ass and looking something up before you look like a fool.

nycdan
01-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Thats an OPINION article. sellouts are a tangible number

Dude. stop while you're behind. Your numbers are just flat-out wrong. And yes, I'm a Jets fan telling you this.

#1) WAS
#2) PIT
#3) DEN

Jets and Giants are 5 and 6 I believe but I'm not completely certain of that.

JiF
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
The Steelers fans are not only the largest fan base on the planet. But they are the best too. Their cheering directly impacts the outcome of the game.

I'm a jealous Jets fan. I wish we were that cool.

nycdan
01-21-2011, 12:19 PM
The Steelers fans are not only the largest fan base on the planet. But they are the best too. Their cheering directly impacts the outcome of the game.

It's all true! They are so cool that we have to settle for rooting for reject WRs that they don't even want anymore :) SOJ.

MDSteel15
01-21-2011, 12:21 PM

That's because they have a bunch of mouthy morons!

LukesDad88
01-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Excellent pwnage.

Why look: At the time of the article, Steelers had 299 consecutive sellouts (you can add another 16 since then) and Green Bay had 269. Close, but not the record. Redskins actually had the record. Not sure if they still do. If they don't, they'll soon drop.

I will say though that the Pack has a huge international fanbase as well, and to discount that is absurd. There's too many criteria to use in judging fan base size. Let's just say that both the Pack and the Steelers have two of the best and largest fanbases in the world.

And the Jets...Well, they have the 4th to 5th largest fanbase in their city...

SoCalFan
01-21-2011, 12:38 PM
All I know is here in Cali.Every bar I have been to on Sundays,Steeler fans outnumber every team by a landslide.There are also Steeler specific bars here,LOVE IT!!!!

SeinfeldNut
01-21-2011, 12:44 PM
In my state of NJ, their are your usual amounts of Jets, Giants, Eagle fans that you can't avoid, but their is a strong, loyal group of Steeler fans that also reside in the state. I have to see where the Steeler bars are in this state.

grward
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
The fact that there are Steelers bars in nearly EVERY large city throughout our great country ... AND many Steelers bars in other countries ... makes it tough to claim some other team has a larger fan base.

HOWEVER, I believe there was a poll a few years back and the results showed the Packers as having the largest fan base with the Steelers a close second. If I remember correctly, the poll was only conducted in the teams' home city. Therefore, the numbers were not truly reflective of STEELER NATION!

We have a great fan base, but you cannot discount the loyalty of Packer fans either.

mesaSteeler
01-21-2011, 01:10 PM
As a lifelong member of Steeler Nation Cheese heads are the only other fan base I respect. They are true football fans like we are. As far the dallas cowTurds being more numerous than Steeler fans that is laughable. We are everywhere. I am 2000 miles from the Burgh and only about 800 miles from the toxic waste dump of dallas in the toilet state of texas. There far more Steeler fans here then there are cowTurds.

Steelboy84
01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Uh what?

7. New York Jets ... 257
8. Chicago Bears ... 198

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_NFL_team_has_the_longest_sell_out_streak#ixzz 1Bh8PY1Sn

How about pulling your head out of your "unbiased" ass and looking something up before you look like a fool.

Is this the same idiot we were fighting the other day?

beer72
01-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I have lived in Tucson AZ the last 10 years and there are 3 huge steeler bars here in town. Ive been in the AF the last 18yrs traveled the world 3 X over and never have trouble finding the black and gold! :tt04:

MattsMe
01-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Please ignore my fellow Jet fan. He's still drunk from last week apparently and has failed at his fact-finding.

(yes, I'm aware that the Steelers appear to have the 2nd-longest consecutive sellout streak (Redskins #1). Just doing a little self-maintenance here).

Uh what?

7. New York Jets ... 257
8. Chicago Bears ... 198

:rofl::rofl::rofl::flap::flap::flap: and may I add: :smack:

Has Jetsfan even been back since posting this ridiculous crap?

steelersalaska
01-23-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm living in Alaska and I know for sure there are at least 4 dominant Pittsburgh bars and bowling alleys... when I go to town I'd say that of all fans wearing their teams colors the 'Burgh is at least 70%

MikeHaullace
01-23-2011, 02:47 AM
All'z I know is this...

DFW, and really Texas in general has a lot of Steelers fans. A lot.

JackHammer
01-23-2011, 03:44 AM
I find it laughable that they have the season ticket waiting list as "More than six years". 4-20-11 will be my ten year mark. It should really be listed at 10+ years.

TRH
01-23-2011, 07:30 AM
an unbiased opinion? Pittsburgh, without question or debate, period. Even if i wasn't a fan, i would have to admit it.

1. More fans invade opposing stadiums for games (and most of them are usually from and live in that opposing city..), than any other by a HUGE margin. This one's not eve close. At times i'm embarrassed for the other team because its like a "steelers home game". This is even pointed out usually numerous times per game, even by analyst crews
2. Most merchandise sold across the board....again by a huge margin
3. Most merchandise sold by the NFL shops
4. Most merchandise sold by the ebay company.
5. As i travel through many other U.S. cities, i see people all over wearing Steelers gear. Everywhere. Its ridiculous.
I mean, i'm not in FL or Texas and see someone wearing a Pats or Jets jersey.
I would have to say, unbiased...i would put it close to this...in order

--Steelers
--Cowboys
--Packers
--Colts
--Saints

I've also read various reports and stories along the way detailing how the Steelers and Cowboys, by far and a large margin, have the most and biggest fan bases.
Not to trash talk at all, but sorry, the Jets don't even "figure in" this one.

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Uh what?

7. New York Jets ... 257
8. Chicago Bears ... 198

http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-owned.gif

theplatypus
01-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Who cares? We had a fan with a terrible towel in space for the Super Bowl, no team can top that!

Llj1Mkit2g4

4xSBChamps
01-23-2011, 08:28 AM
an unbiased opinion? Pittsburgh, without question or debate, period. Even if i wasn't a fan, i would have to admit it.

1. More fans invade opposing stadiums for games (and most of them are usually from and live in that opposing city..), than any other by a HUGE margin. This one's not eve close. At times i'm embarrassed for the other team because its like a "steelers home game". This is even pointed out usually numerous times per game, even by analyst crews.

Tampa Bay sold-out none of it's games this year, and hosted Pittsburgh in meaningless week 3, coming-closest to having a full house at numbers reported by the local press of 62,000 (68,000 max):
later in the season, with playoff aspirations on the line for the Bucs, they hosted division rivals Atlanta & New Orleans, both 500+ miles closer than Pittsburgh, yet the numbers were under 60,000 for each of those games.

(i.e. ~ Steeler fans will travel-further, will nothing on the line, than fans of other teams vying for post-season spots)

Local sports radio hosts chided Buccaneer fans, for allowing the Steeler-fans out-number the home team's backers, and callers said a trip to the rest-rooms between periods was like being in Pittsburgh, with the ratio being 4-to-1 wearing Black & Gold

pete74
01-23-2011, 09:39 AM
they will find out in 2 weeks when Dallas looks like a home game for us. the stadium will be mostly black and gold

jfaulkNY
01-23-2011, 10:59 AM
i think the cowboys have the largest fan base..

the packers fans travel the most, but i think the steelers are right there at #2 in traveling. i see you guys everywhere lol

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
i think the cowboys have the largest fan base..

the packers fans travel the most, but i think the steelers are right there at #2 in traveling. i see you guys everywhere lol

Amazing that such ignorance is possible. It's not just that we travel well, We are already there!

see http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/1527321414

jfaulkNY
01-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Amazing that such ignorance is possible. It's not just that we travel well, We are already there!

see http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/1527321414

lol im not trying to be ignorant my friend. i didnt come to this steelers board as a jets fan to talk shit, and disrespect anybody.

that is just what i thought.

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 11:22 AM
lol im not trying to be ignorant my friend. i didnt come to this steelers board as a jets fan to talk shit, and disrespect anybody.

that is just what i thought.

Watch the video from NFL films and learn. If you knew anything at all about the relationship of the Steelers to Pittsburgh, which you apparently don't, then you would know it's not just that we travel well.

ScreamingEagle
01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
I been to Steelers games in Nashville and Charlotte, there were a TON of Steeler fans there. The home team fans were getting pissed.:applaudit:

plenewken
01-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Largest fan base on the planet??? I don't think so. It's either Milan, Manchester, Barcelona or Madrid in soccer. American football doesn't come close.

jjpro11
01-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Largest fan base on the planet??? I don't think so. It's either Milan, Manchester, Barcelona or Madrid in soccer. American football doesn't come close.

true.. i am pretty sure the Yankees have the largest fan base of American teams.. those bandwagon jumping idiots are everywhere.

Steelers and Cowboys are easily the top two in the NFL.. they are always #1 and #2 in merchandise sales and TV ratings.

TRH
01-23-2011, 11:33 AM
true.. i am pretty sure the Yankees have the largest fan base of American teams.. those bandwagon jumping idiots are everywhere.

Steelers and Cowboys are easily the top two in the NFL.. they are always #1 and #2 in merchandise sales and TV ratings.

True. Its always debatable between these two but the Steelers always come in at # 1 for merch sales and Dallas # 2.
Pittsburgh = # 1 in sales for NFL licensed merch
Pittsburgh = # 1 in sales on ebay
Pittsburgh = # 1 in sales on the Home Shopping networks (i have a family member in the high ranks, there and the info is that Pittsburgh is on top. Way on top. And it ships ALL over the country.

The Yanks are # 1 in baseball although i believe there are more trend-hoppers on the Red Sox side of things..

jfaulkNY
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Watch the video from NFL films and learn. If you knew anything at all about the relationship of the Steelers to Pittsburgh, which you apparently don't, then you would know it's not just that we travel well.

i know. i never been to hines field. im just saying from what i see.

plenewken
01-23-2011, 11:49 AM

I just read of the web that Manchester United has 300M registered fans in the world and are far ahead of any other team in any sport, by a ratio of 4 to 1.