PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger is NFL's most clutch QB

NYC_Steeler
01-21-2011, 01:10 PM
By James Walker

There always is a hot debate about who's the NFL's best quarterback. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning come to mind first, then it becomes a heated argument of who's next.

Two-time Super Bowl-winning QB Ben Roethlisberger has a 9-2 career playoff record.But with Super Bowl XLV just around the corner, who's currently the NFL's most clutch quarterback? It's hard to argue against Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There is no better quarterback on the big stage than Roethlisberger, who has a 9-2 career playoff record and is competing in his fourth AFC Championship Game in seven seasons Sunday. Manning has a sub-.500 record (9-10) in the playoffs, so he's out. Tom Brady has a good playoff record (14-5), but he has lost three postseason games in a row.

Meanwhile, Roethlisberger has won his past four playoff games, including last week's divisional-round victory over the Baltimore Ravens. He has a chance to play in his third Super Bowl since the 2005 season, which would equal the number of Super Bowl appearances by Manning (two) and Brady (one) combined over that same span.

Here is more food for thought: If Pittsburgh advances, Roethlisberger, Manning and Brady would be the only quarterbacks to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl since 2003. That's dominance from all three players. But Roethlisberger's playoff winning percentage (.818) is better than Brady's (.737) and Manning's (.473).

Roethlisberger, who owns two Super Bowl rings, doesn't get nearly the same credit because he's not a conventional quarterback. But after the New York Jets battered and confused Brady and Manning in back-to-back weeks, Roethlisberger can make another huge statement by doing what the other two quarterbacks couldn't -- beat the Jets -- to advance to his third Super Bowl.

Who's more clutch?
Ben Roethlisberger has a better playoff winning percentage than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Player Team Games Record Percentage
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers 11 9-2 .818
Tom Brady Patriots 19 14-5 .737
Peyton Manning Colts 19 9-10 .473

Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/36225/ben-roethlisberger-is-nfls-most-clutch-qb

Steelboy84
01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Yet we still have idiots claiming Rodgers, Rivers, and Romo are better.

austinfrench76
01-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I have been on this forum saying this for 2 years! The guy is a winner. NO\ot sure if everyone has ever heard this but: Winners Win! Thats what they do. F#@% pretty, its about the team and the victory! Ben's the man!

Morgan
01-21-2011, 01:53 PM
I'll take our cruddy qb any day! :) I'd rather have guys like Terry and Ben and SB rings than guys like Marino and none. Who CARES?

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short

WJ7OaN8qWZM

NYC_Steeler
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901671]You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short[QUOTE]

Again, the throws went to a lousy TE: Matt "call me Clifford Franklin" Spaeth who needs stickum to catch a ball. There's a world of difference between him and Heath Miller - who will be playing in this game. Heath was huge in the Ravens game - as everyone saw.

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901671]You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short[QUOTE]

Again, the throws went to a lousy TE: Matt "call me Clifford Franklin" Spaeth who needs stickum to catch a ball. There's a world of difference between him and Heath Miller - who will be playing in this game. Heath was huge in the Ravens game - as everyone saw.

But the last pass wasn't dropped it was batted away so whats your point? You could have made the point that miller would have gotten open at best but the hands are irrelevant

FanSince72
01-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Because they're comparing stats to slugging percentage.

Terry Bradshaw has always been in the same boat.
Stat-wise, he's incredibly average but who would YOU want with the ball when it's all or nothing?

For example, Rob Parker was going on about interceptions the other day and he was saying that a QB who throws as many picks as he does TD's is just "average" and I thought about Bradshaw: 223 TD's and 218 picks...

and four SB rings.

These guys are only looking at stats and they're not looking at the whole package, specifically how does a QB perform in clutch situations? If there was a stat page for THAT, Ben would be on the top of the list.

BTW, Ben has 144 TD's and 89 picks, and 2 rings, so by those standards, that would make him way above average, but his overall stats won't show that and so the Rob Parker's of the world will never see it.

This is the primary reason why I've never been a really big "stats" guy.

It's all bullshit and stats can be made to say anything someone wants them to say, but nobody can argue with "W's" and Hardware.

And to me, that's all that matters.

bigchuck
01-21-2011, 02:46 PM
stats dont win games, ben roethlisberger wins games

NYC_Steeler
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
But the last pass wasn't dropped it was batted away so whats your point? You could have made the point that miller would have gotten open at best but the hands are irrelevant

Dude - now you're totally distorting history. The last pass WAS NOT batted away - it bounced off Matt's chest - no Jet player touched it. I have the game on DVD and the replays all show no Jet batting it away - it went straight into Matt's chest and bounced away. (The best replay is shown driectly from behind Big Ben - perfect view in slow motion).

While we're at it, that last play would've never happened if again, Matt "Clifford Franklin" Spaeth had caught the ball when he was wide open in the end zone - the defender was behind him and in no position to affect the catch. Good ole' reliable Matt - the ball went straight through his arms. The guy can't catch a cold. So you see - if that had been Heath Miller, the Jets would be on the links teeing off right now.

You can thank the Ravens for that win - they knocked out Heath and prevented him from playing.

FanSince72
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Dude - now you're totally distorting history. The last pass WAS NOT batted away - it bounced off Matt's chest - no Jet player touched it. I have the game on DVD and the replays all show no Jet batting it away - it went straight into Matt's chest and bounced away. While we're at it, that last play would've never happened if again, Matt "Clifford Franklin" Spaeth had caught the ball when he was wide open in the end zone - the defender was behind him and in no position to affect the catch. Good ole' reliable Matt - the ball went straight through his arms. The guy can't catch a cold. So you see - if that had been Heath Miller, the Jets would be on the links teeing off right now. You can thank the Ravens for that win - they knocked out Heath and prevented him from playing.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

For pointing out what almost every talking head has completely overlooked all week long!

(Except for Bayless who did point that out and is now "My Man")

MDSteel15
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Key word here, IDIOTS!!! :hatsoff:

MDSteel15
01-21-2011, 03:03 PM
You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short

WJ7OaN8qWZM

WRONG ANSWER!! Ben didn't drop the pass... :banging:

NYC_Steeler
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Dude - now you're totally distorting history. The last pass WAS NOT batted away - it bounced off Matt's chest - no Jet player touched it. I have the game on DVD and the replays all show no Jet batting it away - it went straight into Matt's chest and bounced away. (The best replay is shown driectly from behind Big Ben - perfect view in slow motion).

While we're at it, that last play would've never happened if again, Matt "Clifford Franklin" Spaeth had caught the ball when he was wide open in the end zone - the defender was behind him and in no position to affect the catch. Good ole' reliable Matt - the ball went straight through his arms. The guy can't catch a cold. So you see - if that had been Heath Miller, the Jets would be on the links teeing off right now.

You can thank the Ravens for that win - they knocked out Heath and prevented him from playing.

What happened to Jetsfan115? Must be reviewing the game to see if I'm right. So far that 2 instances of crow he's got to eat. Next massive pile will be after the game.

plenewken
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=NYC_Steeler;901682][QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901671]You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short

Very good observation. Some people here are so mesmerized by Ben that each time a pass is incomplete, it can only be the other guy fault. I said it before and I said it again, the last pass to Spaeth against the Jets was pretty much uncatchable by a TE. Maybe a stud WR would have caught it with his feet in-bounds and it's not even guaranteed.

I'm not accusing Ben of throwing a bad pass, I'm saying the pass he threw had a low probability of being caught. Spaeth was covered by 2 guys in the end zone. It means that the Jets saw it coming (predictable play calling) and it also means that another Steeler was not covered and could have caught the ball more easily.

Anyway, IMO win percentages mean nothing for an individual player, even the QB.
When Ben throws, someone has to make a play to catch the ball and score, and sometimes a heck of a play (see Holmes in SB XLIII). And for Ben to throw to an open receiver, the OL has to protect him long and well enough to give time for the receiver to get separation and for Ben to throw accurately.

Yes, Ben is clutch but other Steelers are clutch too. Is Ben more clutch than Brady and Manning? Who the f*ck cares, really.

NYC_Steeler
01-21-2011, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901712][QUOTE=NYC_Steeler;901682]
Very good observation. Some people here are so mesmerized by Ben that each time a pass is incomplete, it can only be the other guy fault. I said it before and I said it again, the last pass to Spaeth against the Jets was pretty much uncatchable by a TE. Maybe a stud WR would have caught it with his feet in-bounds and it's not even guaranteed.

I'm not accusing Ben of throwing a bad pass, I'm saying the pass he threw had a low probability of being caught. Spaeth was covered by 2 guys in the end zone. It means that the Jets saw it coming (predictable play calling) and it also means that another Steeler was not covered and could have caught the ball more easily.

When Ben throws, someone has to make a play to catch the ball and score, and sometimes a heck of a play (see Holmes in SB XLIII). And for Ben to throw to an open receiver, the OL has to protect him long and well enough to give time for the receiver to get separation and for Ben to throw accurately.

Yes, Ben is clutch but other Steelers are clutch too. Is Ben more clutch than Brady and Manning? Who the f*ck cares, really.

My point is that last play would've never happened if Spaeth had caught the previous pass when he was wide open in the end zone - a W for the Steelers.

Big Ben is a super clutch QB - but it's all for naught if his WRs or TEs are dropping passes.

plenewken
01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=plenewken;901770][QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901712]

My point is that last play would've never happened if Spaeth had caught the previous pass when he was wide open in the end zone - a W for the Steelers.

Big Ben is a super clutch QB - but it's all for naught if his WRs or TEs are dropping passes.

I thought people were talking about the last pass. Yes, the previous one should have been caught. No discussion.
Anyhway, in the grand scheme of things, bad passes caught and good passes dropped pretty much equalize. I've seen as many overthrown and underthrown passes by Ben being caught (Miller, Randle El, Wallace...) than good ones being dropped (Spaeth, Miller, Sanders ....),

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-21-2011, 03:44 PM
I haven't looked at the numbers, but my perception is that Ben's pass catchers had an inordinate number of drops this season. Alot of it I atribute to having two rookie WRs, but I thought the "dropsies" left with Holmes.

Ward had his share of drops too, as well as Spaeth, and even Miller.

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 03:55 PM

OMG you are soo wrong. i've watched it like 50 times. you can clearly see the trajectory of the ball its heading to where the TE has his hands (around the waistline) and the jets DB stretched out and tipped it and the ball went up and hit into the TE. the change of trajectory is why he didn't catch the ball.

you have to watch the replay from the back angle to see it. If you have it on your DVR post it up here. I'll do the same cause its on my DVR too

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
WRONG ANSWER!! Ben didn't drop the pass... :banging:

the last pass wasn't dripped. it was tipped. if ben put it higher the TE would have been able to cleanly get it

What happened to Jetsfan115? Must be reviewing the game to see if I'm right. So far that 2 instances of crow he's got to eat. Next massive pile will be after the game.

i responded.

[QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901712][QUOTE=NYC_Steeler;901682]

great post.

[QUOTE=plenewken;901770][QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901712]

The 2nd to last play could be considered a drop. it was wide of the mark but more then catchable. looked more like the TE misjudged it. The last play was tipped though and even if it wasn't there was a slim chance at best the TE woulda caught it and been in bounds. maybe if it was holmes out there???

caseyviator
01-21-2011, 04:00 PM
what about on 2nd down as sanders is held as the ball just goes over his hands and a no call. 3rd down it hits him virtually in the chest/hands and he drops it... 4th down...and the last pass was not batted away it hit him in the chest.

SoCalFan
01-21-2011, 04:07 PM
None of this matters any more.Bottom line is that Ben IS clutch an will have Miller back!There is not another QB in the league RITE NOW that I would rather have under center with the game on the line and 2 minutes left!

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
what about on 2nd down as sanders is held as the ball just goes over his hands and a no call. 3rd down it hits him virtually in the chest/hands and he drops it... 4th down...and the last pass was not batted away it hit him in the chest.

your 100% correct. He was held and the jets got away with one. but that was 1st down. you never got a 4th down. time expired, 3rd down was your last play. you could have had a 4th down but ben held the ball way too long on the 2nd down play. burned like 7-10 seconds off the clock. It happens though, In the colts game same thing happened to keller. he was held on the same exact type of play. and yet there was no call. but the jets still won it

StainlessStill
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I say it every week. People were texting me off the hook asking me if we were done at Halftime. I told them shame on them and that you give me NOONE else but Roethlisberger in these key situations and key moments in games. It's not even close.

When Fitzy scored that T.D against us in '08, my balls dropped to my toes until I looked at the time. I said this is why we draft Roethlisberger #11 overall in '04, right here.

WE ARE NEVER OUT with #7 in the lineup.

And Jetsfan, if Spaeth doesn't drop two td pass's (one intended for Sanders in the back of the endzone) you lose. You were shitting your pants at that time, no question. Better hope you get away with defensive holding again this time.

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 04:44 PM
I say it every week. People were texting me off the hook asking me if we were done at Halftime. I told them shame on them and that you give me NOONE else but Roethlisberger in these key situations and key moments in games. It's not even close.

When Fitzy scored that T.D against us in '08, my balls dropped to my toes until I looked at the time. I said this is why we draft Roethlisberger #11 overall in '04, right here.

WE ARE NEVER OUT with #7 in the lineup.

And Jetsfan, if Spaeth doesn't drop two td pass's (one intended for Sanders in the back of the endzone) you lose. You were shitting your pants at that time, no question. Better hope you get away with defensive holding again this time.

lol he didn't drop 2. the last one was tipped. and he dind't drop the other. he misjudged it at best. throw was wide but he got alligator arms. but i agree it was a very catch-able ball. holmes dropped an easy TD that cost us the 2nd miami game this season. it happens.

tanda10506
01-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Go back 2 plays before that and you'll see where Sanders broke into the endzone and your CB held him while the ball was in the air. That would have been the game, but of course the ref's "didn't see it". It's not that he fell short, the Jets are a good team, but we can only have so many game winning plays called back by or negated by bad officiating!!:chuckle:

Jetsfan115
01-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Go back 2 plays before that and you'll see where Sanders broke into the endzone and your CB held him while the ball was in the air. That would have been the game, but of course the ref's "didn't see it". It's not that he fell short, the Jets are a good team, but we can only have so many game winning plays called back by or negated by bad officiating!!:chuckle:

i know, i admitted it several times we got away with one. i'm not the type of fan to outright lie about things.

tanda10506
01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
i know, i admitted it several times we got away with one. i'm not the type of fan to outright lie about things.

I know, I thought I was on page 1 still lol and didn't see it. For some reason it wouldn't let me edit my post, tried to erase it.

mcg24
01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=NYC_Steeler;901682][QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901671]You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short

Did you really just say you don't think Ben is the best clutch QB because he fell short to your team in a regular season game. Are you that big of a total tool that you have to make every thread about the Jets? You're right, he didn't come back against your Jets, but he did come back against the Cardinals in Tampa. I'll take the Super Bowl over a regular season game.