PDA

View Full Version : Fans beware: Steelers warn against counterfeit tickets

mesaSteeler
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
(Admins you might want to cosider putting a sticky on this one until the game starts. - mesa)

Fans beware: Steelers warn against counterfeit tickets

By Jason Cato
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 21, 2011

In the world of NFL counterfeit tickets, only the Super Bowl is bigger than this weekend's AFC Championship game at Heinz Field, authorities said.

The Steelers, NFL and Pittsburgh police are warning fans to buy tickets for the game against the New York Jets from authorized dealers such as NFL Ticket Exchange or run the risk of losing hundreds of dollars. Gate workers confiscated counterfeit tickets at last week's game against the Baltimore Ravens, but Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said team policy prevented him from saying how many.

"We think our fans are the best fans in sports, and we want to protect them," Lockett said. "But they have to protect themselves."

About 40 fans were duped out of more than $6,000 when they bought fake tickets for the Steelers game against the New England Patriots in November, Tribune-Review news partner WPXI-TV reported.

PIttsburgh police, this month, arrested two people from Ohio for selling counterfeit tickets outside Heinz Field. (Probably criminals from the Bungholes team in Queen City. - mesa) No such arrests were made last year when the Steelers failed to make the playoffs.

"Keep in mind that counterfeiters come into town for big games," police spokeswoman Diane Richard said. "Typically, they don't waste their travel time on regular season games."

The quality of counterfeit tickets ranges from very sophisticated to ridiculously amateur, officials said.

"(Some) counterfeiters are pretty good with design," Lockett said. "It's difficult to tell with the naked eye."

The NFL is seeing more and more of the sophisticated variety, given advances in printers and other technology, said Anastasia Danias, the league's vice president of legal affairs.

"Certainly, it's a growing issue especially around the Super Bowl," Danias said. "More fans are being scammed, and these are fans who are traveling far and wide."

The league encourages fans who are turned away because they have a counterfeit ticket to file a report with police, Danias said.

Between 100 and 200 reports are typically filed by fans duped at the Super Bowl, with about 125 reports last year in Miami, she said. But playoff games see plenty of counterfeits, too, said Danias, who could not immediately provide more specifics.

"And those are just the ones we know about," she said.

Jason Cato can be reached at jcato@tribweb.com or 412-320-7840.

Read more: Fans beware: Steelers warn against counterfeit tickets - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/print_719257.html#ixzz1BhPz7Pd3

stb_steeler
01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Damn. so much for my printing business! :doh:

FanSince72
01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd be lookin' real hard at anyone wearing a Jets jersey.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Jets fans just announced they grabbed 10,000 seats, all next to each other too. They are excited!!!

Curtain_of_Steel
01-22-2011, 08:15 AM
How sweet would it be.. Each Jet fan show up, the Steelers gate personnel says, oh i'm sorry this is counterfit....

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Bump, just to make sure none of our members get burned. Not all the criminals in Ohio play for the Bungles.

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2011, 05:31 PM
why does my tickets say three rivers stadium and are written in crayon ? :huh:

steelerchad
01-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Jets fans just announced they grabbed 10,000 seats, all next to each other too. They are excited!!!

I didn't see them. Not 10k in the entire stadium let alone all together.
This is impossible anyway since 62k of the seats are season ticket holder owned. No way the Jets could get 10k together.