PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney on 18 Game Schedule - "I would rather not have the money."

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Strong words from Dan Rooney - sounds like he is not in Goodell's corner based on these tweets from New York Times NFL reporter Judy Battista

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has arrived from Ireland. Weighs in on labor. Still doesn't like 18 games. "I would rather not have the money."

http://twitter.com/judybattista/status/28543216152215553

Rooney is not happy with negotiations at all. "The negotiators should get it together."

http://twitter.com/judybattista/status/28545412407234560

Dan Rooney also said he will not get involved in negotiations. "I work for HIllary. She manages things that are a lot tougher than this.":toofunny:
http://twitter.com/judybattista/status/28544767503634433

:jawdrop:
Wow - IMO Goodell burned his bridges to the Steelers ownership with the posturing on the Harrison fines

harrison'samonster
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
you might be right, but it's hard to say if the fines have a big part in Rooney's attitude toward Goodell. It might come down to the fact that the Rooney's have class and Goodell is a turd.

I'm glad to see that Rooney is on the side of his players. I'm no pyschic, so I can't say that 18 game seasons will ruin football, but I'll say it anyway: 18 game seasons will ruin football.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2011, 05:34 PM
you might be right, but it's hard to say if the fines have a big part in Rooney's attitude toward Goodell. It might come down to the fact that the Rooney's have class and Goodell is a turd..

Dan Rooney supported Goodell being hired as Commissioner
When Dan Rooney, the Steelers’ owner and co-chairman of the league’s selection committee, went to the hotel room to tell Goodell, 47, that he had been chosen, Goodell embraced the 74-year-old Rooney.

In a speech to the owners in support of Goodell’s candidacy, Rooney had said that he was looking for the best commissioner and he had no doubt it was Goodell. Goodell has agreed to a five-year contract, although he is expected to serve much longer. He will take over before the regular season begins on Sept. 7.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/sports/football/09nfl.html

Something has changed

SeinfeldNut
01-21-2011, 05:34 PM
you might be right, but it's hard to say if the fines have a big part in Rooney's attitude toward Goodell. It might come down to the fact that the Rooney's have class and Goodell is a turd.

I'm glad to see that Rooney is on the side of his players. I'm no pyschic, so I can't say that 18 game seasons will ruin football, but I'll say it anyway: 18 game seasons will ruin football.

Yeah, nice to see an owner that supports his players on these types of issues, unlike say Jerry Jones. 16 games wears these players down enough, I could not imagine two more games these guys would have to go through, could see more injuries and problems if this move is made.

caseyviator
01-21-2011, 05:44 PM
i like the 18 games as long as they lose atleast 2 preseason games...they said all these same things wen it went to 16 games and they even ended up addin one preseason game awhile later so no big deal when u look back on the 16 game change....the nfl always has and will adapt to demand, and lets face it noone in the end really cares about these players they really dont..once they outlive their use they are simply traded then cut ...then they are just tossed aside and do you know why????

cause there are always every year younger,faster and stronger comin up

43Hitman
01-21-2011, 05:45 PM

:iagree:

lionslicer
01-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Rooney origionally agreed to the 18 game season. They were gonna make it 17, but he said he liked 18 better because it was a round even number

43Hitman
01-21-2011, 05:49 PM
i like the 18 games as long as they lose atleast 2 preseason games...they said all these same things wen it went to 16 games and they even ended up addin one preseason game awhile later so no big deal when u look back on the 16 game change....the nfl always has and will adapt to demand, and lets face it noone in the end really cares about these players they really dont..once they outlive their use they are simply traded then cut ...then they are just tossed aside and do you know why????

cause there are always every year younger,faster and stronger comin up

I think there is a thing though of over saturation of a product and I feel that the NFL has a perfect balance of just enough games to keep us wanting more. Also, records are going to destroyed if they go to 18 games, not to mention the extra toll this will take on all the players, including Ben and Troy. I know I for one would be pretty pissed to see my favorite players dying out at the end of the season due to extra games. These guys barely make it as it is.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Only thing I can gather from an 18game season is your 2nd string is going to have to learn to rotate with the starters on any given week. Putting all your hopes on one guy who will likely burn out over the course of the season or get injured is going to be a very risky move even more so than it is now.

On the other side of the coin. The retirement age is going to drop, I've seen guys at factory jobs. Go from working 8hours each day. To 12hours days that had to retire because they couldn't keep up with it physically. So ether older guys will have to retire or be rotated. Which could be good in a... Ziggy Hood/Aaron Smith situtation.

But thats liable to spread talent few and far between.

MDSteel15
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Only thing I can gather from an 18game season is your 2nd string is going to have to learn to rotate with the starters on any given week. Putting all your hopes on one guy who will likely burn out over the course of the season or get injured is going to be a very risky move even more so than it is now.

On the other side of the coin. The retirement age is going to drop, I've seen guys at factory jobs. Go from working 8hours each day. To 12hours days that had to retire because they couldn't keep up with it physically. So ether older guys will have to retire or be rotated. Which could be good in a... Ziggy Hood/Aaron Smith situtation.

But thats liable to spread talent few and far between.

Exactly, and then the quality of games goes to hell!!!

tony hipchest
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Something has changedwell one of his first calls of duty was to try and force the steelers to sell to billionaire stanley drukenmiller.

he knew damn well art and dan couldnt afford to buy out the brothers and now the rooney ownership is in name only.

the majority of the steelers now belong to people not named rooney.

the chief rolled over in his grave that day.

it has been sour and downhill ever since.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
well one of his first calls of duty was to try and force the steelers to sell to billionaire stanley drukenmiller.

he knew damn well art and dan couldnt afford to buy out the brothers and now the rooney ownership is in name only.

the majority of the steelers now belong to people not named rooney.

the chief rolled over in his grave that day.

True that

Forbes valuation of Steelers in fall of 2008 before the brothers were bought out

Team Value $1 billion
Debt/Value 10%
Revenue $216 mil
Operating Income $14.4 mil
Player Expenses $135 mil
Gate Receipts $46 mil

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/30/sportsmoney_nfl08_Pittsburgh-Steelers_305046.html

Forbes valuation of Steelers in fall of 2010 after the Rooneys got leveraged up to buy out the brothers

Team value $996 million
Debt/Value 25%
Revenue $243 mil
Operating Income $17.9 mil
Player Expenses $146 mil
Gate Receipts $50 million

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Pittsburgh-Steelers_305046.html

So the Rooneys now need to service an additional $150 million in debt as a consequence of needing to borrow the $$$ to buy out the brothers - I would be pi**ed off too if I was Dan Rooney

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-21-2011, 07:33 PM

What has been sour and downhill? Surely not the Steelers-- we are one game away from gong to our 2nd SB since the ownership changes.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
What has been sour and downhill? Surely not the Steelers-- we are one game away from gong to our 2nd SB since the ownership changes.

On the field everything is ducky - but in terms of their net worth Dan and AJR II have been scalped - net value of the team has been reduced by $150 million in debt on which interest did not need to be paid 2 years ago

OX1947
01-21-2011, 07:55 PM
On the field everything is ducky - but in terms of their net worth Dan and AJR II have been scalped - net value of the team has been reduced by $150 million in debt on which interest did not need to be paid 2 years ago

True, but it doesnt look like it is effecting Dan and the family too much if he is saying he doesnt need the money from a 18 game season.

tony hipchest
01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
no the steelers are still solid as a rock. what im talking about is the relationship between the new commish and the rooneys.

dan rooney was instrumental in rogers hire and supported him 100% of the way. he practically ushered him into the league.

then, in quick fashion, roger practically bit the hand that fed him.

-fine rooney $125,000 for critisizing officials.
-force rooenys to sell 52% (?) of the team.
-watch institution of hines ward and ryan clark rule.
-effectively sent dan rooney into retirement and banishment to ireland.
-see ben suspended although not charged for anything.
-bullshit fines and threats levies on james harrison.

since al davis is too old and decrepit to pick on, the leagues new whipping boy is dan rooney.

i think part of the reason he took obamas offer is because he is too old to deal with the bullshit goodell is handing down and knows his son is better equipped, otherwise i couldve seen him around til the end just like his father was.

True that

Forbes valuation of Steelers in fall of 2008 before the brothers were bought out

Team Value $1 billion
Debt/Value 10%
Revenue $216 mil
Operating Income $14.4 mil
Player Expenses $135 mil
Gate Receipts $46 mil

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/30/sportsmoney_nfl08_Pittsburgh-Steelers_305046.html

Forbes valuation of Steelers in fall of 2010 after the Rooneys got leveraged up to buy out the brothers

Team value $996 million
Debt/Value 25%
Revenue $243 mil
Operating Income $17.9 mil
Player Expenses $146 mil
Gate Receipts $50 million

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Pittsburgh-Steelers_305046.html

So the Rooneys now need to service an additional $150 million in debt as a consequence of needing to borrow the $$$ to buy out the brothers - I would be pi**ed off too if I was Dan Rooney

excellent research! :applaudit:

goodell has a vision of his dream owners-

young billionaire uberfans, who were not brought up in the business, and will allow him to act like a day trading stockbroker with their investments.
(snyder, jones, kraft. drukenmiller)

then he has a vision of his nightmare owners-

old school ma and pa family owned groups who made their money in football, and see the game and teams as more than just "big toys for big boys".

(rooneys, maras, browns, richardsons, bidwells, cookes, davis's, mccaskeys)

of this group the rooneys have been the most powerful and influential, and roger has always had a problem with this as they are roadblocks in the way of his global vision and agenda.

4xSBChamps
01-21-2011, 10:42 PM
:

goodell has a vision of his dream owners-

young billionaire uberfans, who were not brought up in the business, and will allow him to act like a day trading stockbroker with their investments.
(snyder, jones, kraft. drukenmiller)

then he has a vision of his nightmare owners-

old school ma and pa family owned groups who made their money in football, and see the game and teams as more than just "big toys for big boys".

(rooneys, maras, browns, richardsons, bidwells, cookes, davis's, mccaskeys)

of this group the rooneys have been the most powerful, influential and most -respected, and roger has always had a problem with this as they are roadblocks in the way of his global vision and agenda.

I have thought this for about 2 years now ~ glad I wasn't alone in my suspicions.

:drink:

GMU Steeler
01-21-2011, 11:21 PM
I'll be honest here, men iike Dan and his father are why I became a fan of the team in the first place. My dad wasn't a big football fan but my mom's dad was and I just remember watching football at his place and I just remember him always saying that the Rooneys were total class and took good care of their players. I just remember that reasonating with me. Plus the first Super Bowl I really remember was Super Bowl XXX and being a DC area native, I hated the Cowboys even though I didn't really love or even like the Skins that much. I agree with Mr. Rooney right here and the points that players like Hines Ward have made.