PDA

View Full Version : Cook: Roethlisberger, Arians come down in 2-part harmony

mesaSteeler
01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Cook: Roethlisberger, Arians come down in 2-part harmony
Saturday, January 22, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11022/1119967-66.stm

Bruce Arians is one hell of an offensive coordinator.

Now that I have your attention, let me back up that statement. No, wait. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wants to do it. He's aware of the ridiculous anti-Arians sentiment around town. He can't understand it, either.

"He gets way, way too much blame and criticism," Roethlisberger told the national media this week. "It's kind of unfortunate because he's so good. If you ask the players, we know. If you ask someone that knows the game of football, you'll know how good he is and what he's done for the offense and what he brings."

In the interest of full disclosure, Roethlisberger has more than a player-coach relationship with Arians. He described him as "a father figure," which made Arians laugh. "I'd rather him say I'm the favorite uncle he likes to drink with." The two are close. You might have heard something in March about Roethlisberger owning a place in Georgia. Arians has one nearby. They play golf often.

"I can talk to him about anything," Roethlisberger said.

It wasn't always that way

"In the beginning, he didn't like me much and I didn't think all that much of him, either," Arians said, fairly giggling. They came to the Steelers in 2004, Roethlisberger as a No. 1 draft choice and Arians as wide receivers coach. Arians became offensive coordinator in '07 after Ken Whisenhunt left for the head job with the Arizona Cardinals.

"I don't think Ben liked me because I had coached Peyton," Arians said of the Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning, generally regarded as the hardest-working quarterback in the NFL. "I wanted to see him study harder. I wanted his work ethic to catch up with his passion for the game and all that talent he has."

Well, guess what?

"He's done everything and more that I've asked of him," Arians said of Roethlisberger. "I'm as proud of him as you can be of a person who's not your son or daughter."

Their success together has been extraordinary. The Steelers went to the playoffs in '07 and won the Super Bowl in '08. They missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record last season despite having a 4,300-yard quarterback, a 1,000-yard rusher, two 1,000-yard wide receivers and a tight end who caught a franchise-record 76 passes. And this season? Maybe you have read something about the AFC championship game against the New York Jets Sunday night at Heinz Field.

The Steelers lost to the Jets, 22-17, at home Dec. 19. The offense produced 378 yards, ran for the most yards (147) against the Jets this season and had a 2 1/2-minute edge in possession time. "We just didn't score enough points," Arians said. "We also gave up two points."

That blasted safety.

Jets linebacker Jason Taylor tackled running back Mewelde Moore in the end zone on a first-and-10 play from the Steelers 3, bumping the Jets' lead to 22-17 with 2:38 left. Arians was excoriated around town for calling that trap play, which had left guard Chris Kemoeatu pulling to his right to lead Moore off right tackle. Taylor sliced through the gap vacated by Kemoeatu before left tackle Jonathan Scott could cut him off.

"Their guy jumped the cadence and made a great play," Roethlisberger said. "It was a great call. If we get the play off, it's out to at least the 10."

"I didn't beat myself up over that one," Arians said. "It's one of our best plays. It would have picked up a solid eight to 15 yards."

Even after the safety, Arians was confident. Roethlisberger, you know? The Steelers got the ball back at their 8 with 2:08 left. "I looked Ben in the eye and told him, 'Let's go get 'em in the end like we always do.' We should have, too."

Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the Jets 10 and had two shots in the end zone to win the game. On the first, backup tight end Matt Spaeth dropped what should have been the winning touchdown pass.

Now, the Steelers get a second crack at the Jets. Arians went overboard this week praising Jets coach Rex Ryan, calling him "the best [defensive mind] in the business. He amazes me the way he keeps coming up with new stuff." He went overboard praising the Jets defense, saying, "It's just like playing Baltimore's defense only they're better because of their cornerbacks."

Don't be fooled.

You know Arians loves his chances with Roethlisberger.

At the team hotel tonight, the two will go over the game plan one final time. Out of the 70 or so pass plays, Roethlisberger will pick his 15 favorites. He'll do the same for all possible third-down situations.

"I lose a lot of the plays I like when we do that," Arians said, grinning.

"That's what's so great about working with B.A.," Roethlisberger said. "If I tell him I hate a play, he won't call it. He doesn't have an ego that way. He doesn't ever say, 'We're going to do it my way.' It's the same way with the receivers. If one of them comes to him and says, 'I can beat my guy on this play,' he'll call it. He has enough faith in his players to do that. He's a players' guy."

Said Arians: "I'd be pretty stupid to call a play my quarterback hates. I'm not trying to impress anybody out there. I'm just trying to help us win the game."

That's why Arians is able to shrug off the criticism. He knows an awful lot of people think they can call plays better than he does. That goes with his job. He takes no offense.

It's not praise and pats on the back that Arians will remember when he leaves football, anyway. It's the wins and the championships and the relationships with the players.

Especially the relationships.

"We haven't lost too many together," Arians said of Roethlisberger.

I don't expect 'em to lose Sunday night, either.
Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11022/1119967-66.stm#ixzz1BjqUWnzw

dcbng
01-22-2011, 12:33 AM
"He gets way, way too much blame and criticism,"

No, I think he gets what he earns

. "It's kind of unfortunate because he's so good.

Hell, Even I could be 'so good' coaching Peyton, But we all remember what a great job he did in cleveland, and coaching up their string of QB greats before comming to Pittsburgh.

mesaSteeler
01-22-2011, 12:39 AM

Hell, Even I could be 'so good' coaching Peyton, But we all remember what a great job he did in cleveland, and coaching up their string of QB greats before comming to Pittsburgh.

You are preaching to choir with me my friend and I'm sure Fire Arians will also agree.

MikeHaullace
01-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Damnit.

Now I like Bruce Arians again.

SH-Rock
01-22-2011, 12:54 AM
It's kinda weird how our offense is so explosive yet we still cannot score points? Who else can you blame but the OC?

tony hipchest
01-22-2011, 12:57 AM
ive been hard on arians, but i have also been fair.

the rooneys chose to keep him for his final year. mike tomlin stuck his neck out for him and abviously convinced them he (and bruce, ben, et al0 could make it work.

i accepted that and said this is a "make or break" season for the o-coord.

i think he made it. the run game has been more effective and efficient. the steelers ran 4X vs the ravens on 5 consecutive plays from the 5 yard line for a touchdown in a dominant opening drive last week. havent seen that in years.

the o-line has just about been in shambles, but the FO and coaches knew pouncey was the right pick and firing zeirlein as opposed to arians would make improvements.

sean kugler has proved as much.

the special teams hasnt contributed in losing straignt games.

bens interceptions and sacks are down.

art rooney said he wanted to see the rookies play more and brown and sanders are lighting it up and pouncey is going to the pro bowl.

i honestly thought arians was going to be too stubborn. he has proved otherwise. i'd say him and tomlin passed the test.

in the name of continuity, i am thinking arians is offered a contract when this season expires.

:noidea:

Wallace17
01-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Damnit.

Now I like Bruce Arians again.

I would have to say he is still a douche.

scsteeler
01-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Bruce A. Has done a very good job. Like anyone he has missed the mark sometimes but overall I think he works well as the OC and has done a fine job with the offense and sometimes get's blamed when things don't go as expected.

ricardisimo
01-22-2011, 02:26 AM
I will say that he seems to be on a two or three game tear, which is a marathon for him. I hope he keeps it up at least two more.

Even so, no one can tell me there aren't some real head-scratcher series thrown in almost every single game. The All-Gadget-Play Series seems to come out every game lately. And the only person still fooled by the bubble screen is Arians himself. He needs to move on from it.

Finally, I don't think anyone really knows if the positive changes are coming from Bruce or away from him. In other words, is Ben calling more of the offense himself? Some of the recent stories would suggest it. I have long thought that Arians would do quite well just prepping the offense and leaving the play-calling to someone else. We'll see.

MikeHaullace
01-22-2011, 02:51 AM
I would have to say he is still a douche.

As long as the offense continues to make plays when it has to make plays, I'm fine with the kat running that show. I can't dislike a man that's part of a team playing for a conference title. Bad juju.

pete74
01-22-2011, 03:34 AM
that play he called the last time we played the Jets were they got a saftey was pathetic. Mendenhall was getting almost 6 yards a carry and we hand off to our 3rd string rb. insane in my mind. other then that and a few bad calls here and there that every OC makes i dont think BA is a bad coach

ricardisimo
01-22-2011, 03:46 AM
that play he called the last time we played the Jets were they got a saftey was pathetic. Mendenhall was getting almost 6 yards a carry and we hand off to our 3rd string rb. insane in my mind. other then that and a few bad calls here and there that every OC makes i dont think BA is a bad coach
That was, indeed, a painful moment. Uggh...

sharkweek
01-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Bruce A. Has done a very good job. Like anyone he has missed the mark sometimes but overall I think he works well as the OC and has done a fine job with the offense and sometimes get's blamed when things don't go as expected.

I don't, I think our offense has too many weapons to be as mediocre as it is. I honestly believe we could be as explosive and high scoring as Green Bay / New England / Indy / San Diego, but we simply aren't. Granted, we have a league best defense year in and year out so our offense doesn't need to pile on the points and run up the score but still, the number of times we bog down in the red zone is ridiculous and all the 4th quarter comebacks and game winning / 2 minute drives Ben does to win the game where we drive down the field like there isn't even a defense on the field...why can't we do that more than just at the end of the game or before the half?

Not to say he's a total bum, I just think he's mediocre and the offense and particularly Ben is just too talented for him not to find some degree of success.

It will be easy to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I really really think we can do better if not much better.

wnyBob
01-22-2011, 09:24 AM
If one reads the article carefully all it is really implying is that besides Arians and Ben being friends, who needs Arians? Sounds like Ben is doing it all anyway. From picking his game day plays, to in the end baling out Arians sorry behind when things don't go well with his ad-libbing. Ben has other things to do all week every week in prepartion besides working on a game plan. Game plan against a specific team and "if not this then what" defenses to prepare for are the OC's responsibility with hours and hours and hours and hours watching defensive schemes and adapting plays and a plan to match it. That's where Arians is all but worthless. If it wasn't for Ben's abillity to bale him out, (And our D of course) Arians would be the coordinator of the Gator Aid crew.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-22-2011, 09:29 AM
If he was that good, he would've had HC opps tossed at him. His names is never mentioned for anything.

Stop making stupid predcitable play calls. He has been better this year.

If your on the 1 yard line and need to go 99 yards what do you call?

1) Put in your 3rd down less powerful back, hand it off 4 yards deep int he end zone and try to run it out?

2) Try to power out with your power back?

3) Perhaps sneak it for a few yard catching them off guard?

4) a quick slant?

5) Rethink 2,3,4 and decide on 1?

Last year we tried to run run run, and get stuff more than enough. Play calling has been better this year, but the only way your going to keep ben off his back is some no huddle.

btaylor179
01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
no way that trap play goes for 10 15 yards......what a joke

biggtee
01-22-2011, 01:38 PM
i dont know why everyone hates on BA either. This is not the steelers of old our run game is not the greatest weather you wanna face it or not. Our O-line is below average and our best player is big ben so BA does what is called common sense PUT THE BALL IN BIG BEN'S HANDS AND LET HIM GO TO WORK!!!.Theres nobody else who gives me more confidence then big ben no matter what the score is

43Hitman
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
ive been hard on arians, but i have also been fair.

the rooneys chose to keep him for his final year. mike tomlin stuck his neck out for him and abviously convinced them he (and bruce, ben, et al0 could make it work.

i accepted that and said this is a "make or break" season for the o-coord.

i think he made it. the run game has been more effective and efficient. the steelers ran 4X vs the ravens on 5 consecutive plays from the 5 yard line for a touchdown in a dominant opening drive last week. havent seen that in years.

the o-line has just about been in shambles, but the FO and coaches knew pouncey was the right pick and firing zeirlein as opposed to arians would make improvements.

sean kugler has proved as much.

the special teams hasnt contributed in losing straignt games.

bens interceptions and sacks are down.

art rooney said he wanted to see the rookies play more and brown and sanders are lighting it up and pouncey is going to the pro bowl.

i honestly thought arians was going to be too stubborn. he has proved otherwise. i'd say him and tomlin passed the test.

in the name of continuity, i am thinking arians is offered a contract when this season expires.

:noidea:

Well said Tony. I think he's earned a new contract as well. Hopefully they can really concentrate on getting that line better in the off season.

cubanstogie
01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I would like to see Ben calling his own plays. I think he deserves a chance at the very least for the start of next year.

theplatypus
01-22-2011, 01:51 PM

It's interesting that you think you know better than our QB.

harrison'samonster
01-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I've said this in another post, but I don't mind seeing Arians get another year. Next year we will have an O-line that isn't falling apart (hopefully), and the rookie recievers will be more developed.

I don't know if our red-zone inaffectiveness is more from bad play-calling or poor execution. Could be both. We have great talent on this team, it just seems like sometimes they just can't execute the plays, and that is a big issue in the red-zone.

plenewken
01-22-2011, 02:54 PM

When things don't go as expected? Considering how inconsistent and unproductive our offense has been for the last 4-5 years, I'd say things don't go as expected 80% of the time, unless your expectations are low.
Arians is not the only reason our Offense is mediocre but he carries a big responsibility, IMO.
If he was considered a top OC, he would have been approached by other teams. As far as I know, this didn't happen.

stb_steeler
01-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Im betting if we make it to the big dance, Arians will be here next season......:popcorn:

theplatypus
01-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Im betting if we make it to the big dance, Arians will be here next season......:popcorn:

I'm betting that he will be here next year even if we don't.

dcbng
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
It's interesting that you think you know better than our QB.

Ben this year is being the ultimate team player, taking a leadership role. He is going to support everything Steelers, no matter what. (Amaizing what a few unsustainable accusations will do to you, but that is another story.)

And I am not saying that I know more than Ben, he is a pro QB, the best I got was an "honerable mention" to the Big 33 Team.

I make my comparison based upon Ben running the 'hurry up' offense. Ben takes the game plan, the situation, and the players that he has on the field, and drives the ball up and down the field(Matriculation as Hank Stram would put it).

He either makes better calls than BA, OR the rest of the team believes that Ben that much that they will perform better. Either way, the Steelers move the ball better when Ben calls his own plays: Exibit A, the game winning drive in XLIII(granted he caught the Cardinals in the wrong defense). Exibit B, the game winning drive against the rats last week. Exibit C the game winning drive against the rats in the regular season.

All long drives,

Ben is a gifted player, and now a more mature player, one that will support his team and staff. And Ben is a better person for it. But Ben is better than BA, and he has proven it on the field many times over.

Then again, if we were not bitching about BA, then we would find something else, after all, we ARE Steelers fans.

Rick5895
01-22-2011, 03:45 PM

There was nothing wrong with the play call, missed assignment by the OT and a good play by Taylor caused the safety, when we run that play it usually goes for at least 8-10 yards.. Mendy should have been in there and BA relies way too much on the slower Moore but so be it. I am far from an Arians fan, I find his situational play calling to be suspect, but down the stretch we have been much better.

We may all say he should go, but what else is there out there. I remember the Ron Erhardt years , the Kevin Gilbride years and the Joe Walton years. Compard to those guys Brucey is a diamond. LOL

:tt04:

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Here is my honest, no BS assessment of BA so far. We have a descent body of work to look at, since 2007 now.

I think he got off to a bad start with the Pittsburgh faithful because he introduced a type of offense we have not seen around the Burgh, and lots of Steelers fans hold tradition above all other considerations. He changed us from being a conservative, grind it out, type of offense to a spread out, pass-first offense. I think that already put him out of favor with the Steelers fans that still want to see the Bus pounding the ball for "3 yards and a cloud of dust".

Then, you give the guy a shoddy offensive line and a shoddy Oline coach, and disaster soon sets in. However, in every season, our offense has done special things....

In 2007, Ben was second behind Brady and had one of his best seasons, throwing for 32 TDs. Willie Parker was leading the league in yards. Our offense was pretty darned effective that year....but struggled a bit in the red zone.

In 2008, Ben only threw 17 TDs to 15 INTs, and our running game fell to a dismal 23rd ranking, but keep in mind the quality of opposition we faced that year. BY the numbers, we played the hardest strength of schedule the NFL awarded any team since 1975. We went up against 10 of the league's top 12 defenses, and had to face the #2 ranked defense 3 times. All things considered, when crunch time came around, Ben and company still owned, and we got title #6.

IN comes 2009, the only bad thing we can honestly say about the offense that year is they struggled in the red zone, other than that, we have no room to complain when your QB breaks all the franchise records, has a 4000+ yard season, two 1000+ yard receivers, and a 1000+ yard ballcarrier. Miller caught a career high 76 passes, and we ranked in the top ten in offense.

This season, Ben still posted descent stats (after being out 4 games), with far less interceptions than normal, and his mechanics are much better. We have a Probowl roookie at Center, and two roookies at WR that are becoming a major part of our offense. We are two wins away from another title.

Looking back, I think with Arians, it is similar to Ben: you have to be willing to take the good with the bad. If you cannot deal with his "bads", then you are not a fan of Arians. Arians designs a very effective offense, he designs offensive plays that border on genius, but his drawbacks are his situational playcalling (especially in the red zone, but some of that blame has to go to Ben too).

All in all, if we bring home #7 this year, and based on the way our offense has been performing, despite the growing list of injuries and walking wounded on IR, I can't see how we can justify getting rid of Arians. Our offense is NOT mediocre, it just has some bgs that need workng out (getting both of our Offensive Tackles back would go a long ways towards this end-- the Oline has been this team's Achilles heel since 2006).

43Hitman
01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Here is my honest, no BS assessment of BA so far. We have a descent body of work to look at, since 2007 now.

I think he got off to a bad start with the Pittsburgh faithful because he introduced a type of offense we have not seen around the Burgh, and lots of Steelers fans hold tradition above all other considerations. He changed us from being a conservative, grind it out, type of offense to a spread out, pass-first offense. I think that already put him out of favor with the Steelers fans that still want to see the Bus pounding the ball for "3 yards and a cloud of dust".

Then, you give the guy a shoddy offensive line and a shoddy Oline coach, and disaster soon sets in. However, in every season, our offense has done special things....

In 2007, Ben was second behind Brady and had one of his best seasons, throwing for 32 TDs. Willie Parker was leading the league in yards. Our offense was pretty darned effective that year....but struggled a bit in the red zone.

In 2008, Ben only threw 17 TDs to 15 INTs, and our running game fell to a dismal 23rd ranking, but keep in mind the quality of opposition we faced that year. BY the numbers, we played the hardest strength of schedule the NFL awarded any team since 1975. We went up against 10 of the league's top 12 defenses, and had to face the #2 ranked defense 3 times. All things considered, when crunch time came around, Ben and company still owned, and we got title #6.

IN comes 2009, the only bad thing we can honestly say about the offense that year is they struggled in the red zone, other than that, we have no room to complain when your QB breaks all the franchise records, has a 4000+ yard season, two 1000+ yard receivers, and a 1000+ yard ballcarrier. Miller caught a career high 76 passes, and we ranked in the top ten in offense.

This season, Ben still posted descent stats (after being out 4 games), with far less interceptions than normal, and his mechanics are much better. We have a Probowl roookie at Center, and two roookies at WR that are becoming a major part of our offense. We are two wins away from another title.

Looking back, I think with Arians, it is similar to Ben: you have to be willing to take the good with the bad. If you cannot deal with his "bads", then you are not a fan of Arians. Arians designs a very effective offense, he designs offensive plays that border on genius, but his drawbacks are his situational playcalling (especially in the red zone, but some of that blame has to go to Ben too).

All in all, if we bring home #7 this year, and based on the way our offense has been performing, despite the growing list of injuries and walking wounded on IR, I can't see how we can justify getting rid of Arians. Our offense is NOT mediocre, it just has some bgs that need workng out (getting both of our Offensive Tackles back would go a long ways towards this end-- the Oline has been this team's Achilles heel since 2006).

Great post. :applaudit:

wutchy
01-22-2011, 04:16 PM
If Mendenhall would quit tip-toeing thru the line, and just pound it up in there, Ariens would look a lot smarter because we would get more first downs and finish more drives.:coffee:

lionslicer
01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Steeler fans will always hate him because he isn't the type of OC that will run the ball 40 times a game or use a fullback correctly. I think he does what he can behind a Steelers offensive line that has struggled for the past 3 seasons. I think its partially his fault, but the team is winning games, if the Steelers had a worse OC, the defense could not get them to 12-4. He is every part of those 12 wins as Lebeau and the defense is.

fer522
01-22-2011, 05:34 PM

:iagree:

:banging: :banging: :banging:

F**k

chitownpit
01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I think ben is twice the play caller B A will ever be. Be just feeling the rythem
of the game or knowing a defenses tendences . Ben makes great calls
from the muddle huddle and against a great defence it could come in handy
speeding up the game that is

Steelboy84
01-22-2011, 05:51 PM
I think ben is twice the play caller B A will ever be. Be just feeling the rythem

He threw 32 TDs in 2007 doing this. Ben>Arians

chitownpit
01-22-2011, 05:59 PM
:iagree:

:banging: :banging: :banging:

F**k

Great job!!!! Not only in the red zone , but he`ll go 3 and out once or twice
a game and leave me wondering just what the ---- he was thinking.
I mean am i the only one seeing this? I dont question his ability
to draw up plays to our strength or a defence`s weakness , but i do
question when he calls them. End of last season and this season
i see him take some shots but geeze , we have the ball at the thirty
to much without taking a shot down field. We get turnovers at the
opponents 20 and run it up inside the guards 3 times, then kick a field G.
I want to pull my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banging:

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Great job!!!! Not only in the red zone , but he`ll go 3 and out once or twice
a game and leave me wondering just what the ---- he was thinking.
I mean am i the only one seeing this? I dont question his ability
to draw up plays to our strength or a defence`s weakness , but i do
question when he calls them.

Agreed. THAT is the "bad" you have to be willing to stomach with Arians. His situational playcalling leaves me scratching my head lots of times....I can predict most of our plays with like a frigging 80% accuracy.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-22-2011, 06:12 PM
End of last season and this season
i see him take some shots but geeze , we have the ball at the thirty
to much without taking a shot down field. We get turnovers at the
opponents 20 and run it up inside the guards 3 times, then kick a field G.
I want to pull my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banging:

I will actually differ with you here. I think this is what some of the recent articles about Ben and Arians "trying to go for it all" in the red zone refer to.

Quite the opposite of what you said, our red zone problems stemmed from Arians/Ben trying to take those shots downfield when we get inside the 20, instead of being content to run some shorter plays and try picking up another 1st down to make it 1st and goal from the 7, instead of trying to shoot it in for a TD on our first plays in the red zone from like the 20 YL. Then after one or two botched/predictable such attempts, we find ourselves at 3rd down and 10 from the 20 YL, instead.

Once we get inside the 20, they needed to stop trying for the homerun and just pound the ball up closer to the goaline before going for the kill, maybe get another first down to avoid those annoying 3rd and longs we always end up in. Our offense has been trying to combat this tendency and the effects have been obvious-- our offense has been doing pretty well the last month or so, even in the red zone. Of course, that was against the Clowns and hapless Panthers, but that is why we kept our starters in so long against both teams-- our Offense needed the touch-up work before entering the postseason.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Great AV, by the way, chitownpit!! I would give an arm or leg to have been at one or more of those last shows at Soldier Field before Jerry passed on....

chitownpit
01-23-2011, 03:25 AM
I will actually differ with you here. I think this is what some of the recent articles about Ben and Arians "trying to go for it all" in the red zone refer to.

Quite the opposite of what you said, our red zone problems stemmed from Arians/Ben trying to take those shots downfield when we get inside the 20, instead of being content to run some shorter plays and try picking up another 1st down to make it 1st and goal from the 7, instead of trying to shoot it in for a TD on our first plays in the red zone from like the 20 YL. Then after one or two botched/predictable such attempts, we find ourselves at 3rd down and 10 from the 20 YL, instead.

Once we get inside the 20, they needed to stop trying for the homerun and just pound the ball up closer to the goaline before going for the kill, maybe get another first down to avoid those annoying 3rd and longs we always end up in. Our offense has been trying to combat this tendency and the effects have been obvious-- our offense has been doing pretty well the last month or so, even in the red zone. Of course, that was against the Clowns and hapless Panthers, but that is why we kept our starters in so long against both teams-- our Offense needed the touch-up work before entering the postseason.

What i really meant was that spot between the 45 and 25 yard line
just before the field shrinks. And yes your correct , the plays i want called
there he`s calling in the red zone . some days it looks a 7 on 7 practice
with ben repeaditly fireing away for twenty yard touchdowns passes
instead of methodicly marching for first downs

MikeHaullace
01-23-2011, 03:55 AM

I think you just wanted to use muddle huddle. :wink02:

I seriously do wonder sometimes how the players feel about that. I mean, it seems like any time Ben is calling the plays in the hurry-up, they magically and methodically drive down the field for points in some way.

If he's feeling it, let him call it. I'm all for it.

Where did you people go???

In Ben We Trust

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Arians would not be criticized if his unit scored more points. Fact of the matter is Arians talent filled offense struggles to score points on a regular basis. Rarely will you see Arians unit win a game for us. At best you will see our defense dominate a game, keep us in it, then late in the game Ben puts the offense on his back and wins it.

Ben and Arians can say what they want. Its all about production. Score points and everyone thinks you are a genius. Struggle to score and you should be fired.

How often does our defense make mistakes and put our backs against the wall? How often does our offense make mistakes? The differences are glaring. All anyone wants is for our offense to play up to its potential. I see no reason why we cannot be a top 10 offense. Frankly I think the talent is there to be a top 5 offense. We ranked 12th in scoring this season. 12th last season. And 20th the year before. Now add in the sacks and turnovers Arians unit racks up and it explains the very reason Arians gets so much criticism.

Take all of that and then think back to the games we should be dominating.... Last season: Raiders, Browns, ect. and you see games we failed to score points against some of the worst in the league. That to me points to poor coaching - PERIOD>

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Arians would not be criticized if his unit scored more points. Fact of the matter is Arians talent filled offense struggles to score points on a regular basis. Rarely will you see Arians unit win a game for us. At best you will see our defense dominate a game, keep us in it, then late in the game Ben puts the offense on his back and wins it.

Ben and Arians can say what they want. Its all about production. Score points and everyone thinks you are a genius. Struggle to score and you should be fired.

How often does our defense make mistakes and put our backs against the wall? How often does our offense make mistakes? The differences are glaring. All anyone wants is for our offense to play up to its potential. I see no reason why we cannot be a top 10 offense. Frankly I think the talent is there to be a top 5 offense. We ranked 12th in scoring this season. 12th last season. And 20th the year before. Now add in the sacks and turnovers Arians unit racks up and it explains the very reason Arians gets so much criticism.

Take all of that and then think back to the games we should be dominating.... Last season: Raiders, Browns, ect. and you see games we failed to score points against some of the worst in the league. That to me points to poor coaching - PERIOD>
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit:

steelers33
01-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Yea there was a good post earlier describing how Arians can design plays but not necessarily call them at the right time. His poor situational play calling is most evident in the red zone. Ultimately, he is responsible for his players execution, that is situational play calling. Looking back at that Jets safety, he has to realize that a draw play from our 1 yard line is risky considering we have an unathletic offensive line that struggles in
space. So what happened, J Scott missed a block in space. This is also evident in his reverses. Most of the time our players are not executing well in the run game. So the other team will not bite on the inside run, and then bounce outside to stop the reverse. In the end it keeps on coming down to our offensive line. Our offensive line and our skill players do not match. Our skill players are built for a high flying offense, while our o-line is built for a grind it out type of offense. Maybe this is not Arians fault, but if he was a good offensive coordinator he will find a way to compensate. Look at how Ben compensates on those late drives, he moves around makes plays gets the defense on their heels thus taking some pressure off the offensive line. So in the end Arians is a mediocare offensive coordinator with much room for improvement is his personal assessment and his situational play calling.

theplatypus
01-23-2011, 12:42 PM

We are in the top half of the league with an o-line that is average at best. That points to coaches getting everything they can out of the players they have.

LVSteelersfan
01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
What drives me insane is we see the Steelers moving the ball with ease for the first or second series with Mendenhall pounding it in there. Then inexplicably in trots Moore to get knocked down either behind the line or for a 1 or two yard gain on first down. Then we get a holding penalty that knocks us backwards 9 times out of 10. LEAVE RASHARD IN THE DAMN GAME for more than one or two series.