PDA

View Full Version : Jets' bold claim: 'We are gonna win'

mesaSteeler
01-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Jets' bold claim: 'We are gonna win'
http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports/jets/bold_claim_we_are_gonna_win_OEUsIBBd5w0aBTnWgSQLZO
By STEVE SERBY

Last Updated: 9:36 AM, January 22, 2011

Posted: 2:47 AM, January 22, 2011

Four Academy buses, filled with coaches and players who steadfastly believe they are Supermen, begin rolling toward Newark Airport and the Continental charter that will be taking them to Pittsburgh for tomorrow night’s AFC Championship — the game that sends you home with sorrow and regret, or the game that sends you to Dallas for the Super Bowl.

So it is a bus ride back in time, 42 years back in time, when the Jets, out of a junior league called the American Football League, shocked the Baltimore Colts of the establishment National Football League and snatched the town away from Wellington Mara’s Giants.

The journey makes their hearts pound, their adrenaline flow, so much so that some of them need to keep their emotions in check, and tell themselves this is just another game, even if they know it is anything but. Because history is waiting for them at around 9:30 tomorrow night on an icy field of dreams called Heinz Field, the Lombardi Trophy the pot of gold at the end of the green-and-white rainbow.

They might as well flash “Destination Dallas” on the front of all the buses. Because that’s where Destiny’s Darlings vow they will be on the first Sunday night in February, playing in the Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

“Yeah, absolutely,” Matt Slauson said. “But we are very much aware of the opponent across the field. We aren’t looking ahead at all. We know that Pittsburgh is just the next roadblock. And we have to bust right through it.”

And they will.

“We are gonna win,” Slauson said.

“I believe we are a better team.” (Slauson and Tone must be smokin some good sh*t. They must be dropping some acid as well. - mesa)

It’s what he sees in the wild eyes of his teammates, in the meeting rooms, on the practice field, that tells him everything he needs to know, everything Jets fans need to know.

“I feel like every one of these guys should be locked up,” Slauson said. Because you look at ’em and you’re saying, ‘They might kill somebody out there!’ And it’s an incredible feeling, and I can see that every day — the sense of urgency, the energy, the excitement.”

Peyton Manning slammed the door to the Super Bowl shut on them last year. But this is a better team, with a better quarterback, who has more weapons at his disposal.

“We can do it,” Mark Sanchez said.

“You can’t play not to lose. We’ve got to play to win the game, and that’s what we’ll do.”

James Ihedigbo was asked what message he would have for Jets fans, and he said:

“Stock the refrigerator full of champagne and get ready to celebrate,” he said.

Same question for Slauson.

“Believe in us,” he said. “Believe that we’re going to win, and we’re going to get ourselves a trophy.”

Nine-thirty tomorrow night cannot come quickly enough for the Jets. The impossible dream is so very possible now. They can see it, touch it, feel it.

“Jets players in the locker room celebrating, wearing the AFC Championship hat, wearing the shirt soaking wet with champagne and celebrating and enjoying the moment, getting ready for the Super Bowl,” Ihedigbo said.

I said to Ihedigbo: “And it will happen?”

“It will happen,” he said.

And when it does?

“Having on,” Jerricho Cotchery began, and then he chuckled as he let the imagination run wild, “the AFC Championship shirt and then my hat.”

Coach Rex Ryan talked about a beat-up Ravens team that lost in Pittsburgh two years ago 60 minutes from the Super Bowl and said: “We fell short. But not this time.”

Slauson was asked why the Jets will win this game.

“I feel like we have a better offensive line,” he said. “We have a better running game. As far as our passing game, we have a lot more playmakers. We can spread the ball out more. Our defenses are really similar, blitzing a lot, a lot of really good players on either side, but I would give the edge to our guys because of our ability to penetrate and push the pocket with all of our really strong guys.”

They know it won’t be easy.

“We still have to play our game, or else we are still going to fall short, because that’s how good of a team they are,” Slauson said.

That is why ex-Steeler Santonio Holmes recognized it was time to gather the offense together before the first team period yesterday.

“Guys, we need to have our best practice of the year today,” he said. “We need to be crisp. We can’t have any penalties, no missed assignments. Let’s go out there and be absolutely perfect.”

These are road warriors.

“When we come out of the tunnel, it’s us against 70,000 screaming fans,” Brandon Moore said. “I think guys really like that challenge.”

What will the Jets mood be at around 9:30 tomorrow night?

“High-fives,” Dustin Keller said. “I think it’s going to be more so, ‘Let’s do this in the Super Bowl than having won an AFC Championship.’ ”

Destination Dallas. (It's so nice of them to come to Dallas to watch us winning our seventh Super Bowl. - mesa)

steve.serby@nypost.com

stb_steeler
01-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Talk about jumping the gun!

mesaSteeler
01-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Talk about jumping the gun!

So much the better for us.

chacha
01-22-2011, 10:47 AM
they're just pumping themselves up, they're probably nervous as sh#t

SteeleReign
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
“I feel like we have a better offensive line,” he said. “We have a better running game. As far as our passing game, we have a lot more playmakers. We can spread the ball out more. Our defenses are really similar, blitzing a lot, a lot of really good players on either side, but I would give the edge to our guys because of our ability to penetrate and push the pocket with all of our really strong guys.”

Okay, let's break this down...

1. Yes, they have a better o-line. Most teams, if not all, that we played this year had this advantage, but we're a game away from Dallas. As a matter of fact, I would say that our o-line played their best game of the year against the Jets during the loss.

2. Better running game? Meh. Statistically, yes. But, let's not forget the Run D on the other side of the ball. I'm willing to bet dimes to dollars that they Jets do NOT break 100yds rushing tomorrow and their run game has ZERO impact on the outcome on the game. (well, maybe a negative impact)

3. They may have more "established" playmakers. But, Brown & Sanders may be about to explode onto the national scene.

4. Now, the good one...their blitzing "advantage." I get that the Jets D is good, but seriously...this one is our advantage. At least it had better be.

SeinfeldNut
01-22-2011, 10:59 AM
I expect the Jets to be confident in their chances on Sunday to win, but we all know the Steelers are just as or even more confident in their chances to win and to go to Dallas, they are just keeping it in house instead of saying it to the media.

stlrtruck
01-22-2011, 11:23 AM
One word for some of their comments:

DELUSIONAL!

SteelerEmpire
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
24 yr old inconsistent, the worse passer in the league, can't convert a 3td down if you held his hand... Sanchez doesn't have a chance.

Pac
01-22-2011, 11:45 AM
They aren't saying anything Jet fans don't already know. This is our year.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2011, 11:46 AM
The New York Post has an even better column today with regard to wishful thinking

Big Ben has rings, but Sanchez not far behind

http://www.nypostonline.com/p/sports/jets/champions_are_made_not_born_kFrQ1yQHp5hil88CUKnmhM

StainlessStill
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Lmao, these punks must realize their mouths don't win football games. Now wonder why New England fans ****in hate this team. Ryan is digging his own grave and his players are following suite. They are on the verge at awakening the sleeping giant and going to get their ass beat like they did the first game but the scoreboard will show for it this time. Sick of their big mouths.

Pac
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Lmao, these punks must realize their mouths don't win football games. Now wonder why New England fans ****in hate this team. Ryan is digging his own grave and his players are following suite. They are on the verge at awakening the sleeping giant and going to get their ass beat like they did the first game but the scoreboard will show for it this time. Sick of their big mouths.

Good luck.. NE fans and the media were saying the same thing last week.

Hopefully the Steelers first 15 yard unnecessary roughness penalty puts us in scoring position.

StainlessStill
01-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Hopefully the Steelers first 15 yard unnecessary roughness penalty puts us in scoring position.

It's yours to lose my friend. Problem is, is that this Pittsburgh defense is something that your team has never seen. That first matchup needs to be tossed out the window for multiple reasons. With all this chatter and with all this guaranteeing bullshit coming from you guys, you deserve one big ass beating, one N.E is not primed to do defensively. We are going to beat you up so once Mark Sanchez gets knocked around a little, we'll see if you change your tune a-bit. Everyone's sick of N.Y's mouth.

mesaSteeler
01-22-2011, 11:57 AM

You are not playing the Cheats tomorrow and you are going to lose.

Danny136200
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Jets' bold claim: 'We are gonna win'
http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports/jets/bold_claim_we_are_gonna_win_OEUsIBBd5w0aBTnWgSQLZO
By STEVE SERBY

Last Updated: 9:36 AM, January 22, 2011

Posted: 2:47 AM, January 22, 2011

Four Academy buses, filled with coaches and players who steadfastly believe they are Supermen, begin rolling toward Newark Airport and the Continental charter that will be taking them to Pittsburgh for tomorrow night’s AFC Championship — the game that sends you home with sorrow and regret, or the game that sends you to Dallas for the Super Bowl.

So it is a bus ride back in time, 42 years back in time, when the Jets, out of a junior league called the American Football League, shocked the Baltimore Colts of the establishment National Football League and snatched the town away from Wellington Mara’s Giants.

The journey makes their hearts pound, their adrenaline flow, so much so that some of them need to keep their emotions in check, and tell themselves this is just another game, even if they know it is anything but. Because history is waiting for them at around 9:30 tomorrow night on an icy field of dreams called Heinz Field, the Lombardi Trophy the pot of gold at the end of the green-and-white rainbow.

They might as well flash “Destination Dallas” on the front of all the buses. Because that’s where Destiny’s Darlings vow they will be on the first Sunday night in February, playing in the Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

“Yeah, absolutely,” Matt Slauson said. “But we are very much aware of the opponent across the field. We aren’t looking ahead at all. We know that Pittsburgh is just the next roadblock. And we have to bust right through it.”

And they will.

“We are gonna win,” Slauson said.

“I believe we are a better team.” (Slauson and Tone must be smokin some good sh*t. They must be dropping some acid as well. - mesa)

It’s what he sees in the wild eyes of his teammates, in the meeting rooms, on the practice field, that tells him everything he needs to know, everything Jets fans need to know.

“I feel like every one of these guys should be locked up,” Slauson said. Because you look at ’em and you’re saying, ‘They might kill somebody out there!’ And it’s an incredible feeling, and I can see that every day — the sense of urgency, the energy, the excitement.”

Peyton Manning slammed the door to the Super Bowl shut on them last year. But this is a better team, with a better quarterback, who has more weapons at his disposal.

“We can do it,” Mark Sanchez said.

“You can’t play not to lose. We’ve got to play to win the game, and that’s what we’ll do.”

James Ihedigbo was asked what message he would have for Jets fans, and he said:

“Stock the refrigerator full of champagne and get ready to celebrate,” he said.

Same question for Slauson.

“Believe in us,” he said. “Believe that we’re going to win, and we’re going to get ourselves a trophy.”

Nine-thirty tomorrow night cannot come quickly enough for the Jets. The impossible dream is so very possible now. They can see it, touch it, feel it.

“Jets players in the locker room celebrating, wearing the AFC Championship hat, wearing the shirt soaking wet with champagne and celebrating and enjoying the moment, getting ready for the Super Bowl,” Ihedigbo said.

I said to Ihedigbo: “And it will happen?”

“It will happen,” he said.

And when it does?

“Having on,” Jerricho Cotchery began, and then he chuckled as he let the imagination run wild, “the AFC Championship shirt and then my hat.”

Coach Rex Ryan talked about a beat-up Ravens team that lost in Pittsburgh two years ago 60 minutes from the Super Bowl and said: “We fell short. But not this time.”

Slauson was asked why the Jets will win this game.

They know it won’t be easy.

“We still have to play our game, or else we are still going to fall short, because that’s how good of a team they are,” Slauson said.

That is why ex-Steeler Santonio Holmes recognized it was time to gather the offense together before the first team period yesterday.

“Guys, we need to have our best practice of the year today,” he said. “We need to be crisp. We can’t have any penalties, no missed assignments. Let’s go out there and be absolutely perfect.”

These are road warriors.

“When we come out of the tunnel, it’s us against 70,000 screaming fans,” Brandon Moore said. “I think guys really like that challenge.”

What will the Jets mood be at around 9:30 tomorrow night?

“High-fives,” Dustin Keller said. “I think it’s going to be more so, ‘Let’s do this in the Super Bowl than having won an AFC Championship.’ ”

Destination Dallas. (It's so nice of them to come to Dallas to watch us winning our seventh Super Bowl. - mesa)

steve.serby@nypost.com
If i recall, isn't this the same type of "confidence" the Ravens came in in 2008? They are talking themselves into having confidence, they haven't talked all week long and now, they are saying that they are the better team? Please, there is nothing that scares me about this team.

TRH
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
so what? Just about every team says this every week about the team they're playing...

Pac
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
It's yours to lose my friend. Problem is, is that this Pittsburgh defense is something that your team has never seen. That first matchup needs to be tossed out the window for multiple reasons. With all this chatter and with all this guaranteeing bullshit coming from you guys, you deserve one big ass beating, one N.E is not primed to do defensively. We are going to beat you up so once Mark Sanchez gets knocked around a little, we'll see if you change your tune a-bit. Everyone's sick of N.Y's mouth.

Is your D better than NE? Oh hellll yeah.

but... you have to remember. Our D isn't exactly chop liver. We are playing better than we were a month ago and have added Eric Smith (watch for that name tomorrow), Trevor Pryce for added pressure, and a health Sione Pouha to shore up the run D.

I've admittedly been exaggerating a bit (for fun) but I honestly believe we're a team of destiny. I don't see how you guys put up more than 17 points and I think we can get to 24.

Funny thing is while I'm a 25 year hard core Jet fan my brother happens to be a 25 year hardcore Steeler fan... We watched the game together in 05' where Doug Brien sh-t the bed... I literally fell down when he missed the 2nd FG but to my brothers credit he didn't celebrate too much in front of me.

This year I'll be doing the celebrating.

tony hipchest
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
if it were so easy to talk yourself to a superbowl every team would do it.

i wonder who the scared jets are trying to convince more.

us or themselves?

their false bravado certainly is cute though.

MikeHaullace
01-22-2011, 12:35 PM

The difference between Pittsburgh and both New England and Indy?

The best defense in the league.

Let's hope this officiating crew pays closer attention to the NY DBs and their tendency to grab on to shirts when they're beat.

JiF
01-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Its false hope. There is no reason in the world that the Jets should think they are better than the Steelers. The Steelers are twice the team. In every single aspect of the game, the Steelers are better.

The Jets are fools for talking this way and disrespecting the best franchise in the game. Stupid. They'll be putting the foots in their mouths when they lose another AFCCG.

Pac
01-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Its false hope. There is no reason in the world that the Jets should think they are better than the Steelers. The Steelers are twice the team. In every single aspect of the game, the Steelers are better.

The Jets are fools for talking this way and disrespecting the best franchise in the game. Stupid. They'll be putting the foots in their mouths when they lose another AFCCG.

I herby challenge you to a duel.

If I see you on any board tomorrow I will remind you of your pathetic fear.

Ryanh208
01-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Just let them talk cause come sunday we will know who's the BETTER team.

steeltheone
01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
This is just what we needed...We play so much better when it gets personal!!!

SteelCityMom
01-22-2011, 12:45 PM
I herby challenge you to a duel.

If I see you on any board tomorrow I will remind you of your pathetic fear.

He's a Jets fan. He's just trying to be funny and sarcastic. It's common troll behavior.

StainlessStill
01-22-2011, 12:47 PM

but... you have to remember. Our D isn't exactly chop liver. We are playing better than we were a month ago and have added Eric Smith (watch for that name tomorrow), Trevor Pryce for added pressure, and a health Sione Pouha to shore up the run D.

I've admittedly been exaggerating a bit (for fun) but I honestly believe we're a team of destiny. I don't see how you guys put up more than 17 points and I think we can get to 24.

Funny thing is while I'm a 25 year hard core Jet fan my brother happens to be a 25 year hardcore Steeler fan... We watched the game together in 05' where Doug Brien sh-t the bed... I literally fell down when he missed the 2nd FG but to my brothers credit he didn't celebrate too much in front of me.

How are the Jets a team of destiny? By what? Their mouths? Seriously, the Jets got here, plain and simple, but they aren't too impressive across the board, whatsoever. If you want to talk destiny, go look up the #7 for the Steelers and get back to me. Just like Tomlin said, Destiny is what you make of if. You will get our best shot. We didn't give you our best shot the first time when you did and you barely squeaked by. When the intangibles set in, I seriously don't think they have enough to over-take Pittsburgh in this game when the clock hits 0:00.

You beat a very mediocre Colts team to begin with (without the run-back, ball game over) and you barely squeaked by N.E who played, by far, their worst game of their entire season, let alone the last 3 months. Those defense's don't have the swarming relentlessness that we do, esp now.

The Jets D is tough, but so is Baltimore's and we went through them like sliced bread. You might think you won't be denied, but we don't think so neither.

JiF
01-22-2011, 12:54 PM
How are the Jets a team of destiny? By what? Their mouths? Seriously, the Jets got here, plain and simple, but they aren't too impressive across the board, whatsoever. If you want to talk destiny, go look up the #7 for the Steelers and get back to me. Just like Tomlin said, Destiny is what you make of if. You will get our best shot. We didn't give you our best shot the first time when you did and you barely squeaked by. When the intangibles set in, I seriously don't think they have enough to over-take Pittsburgh in this game when the clock hits 0:00.

You beat a very mediocre Colts team to begin with (without the run-back, ball game over) and you barely squeaked by N.E who played, by far, their worst game of their entire season, let alone the last 3 months. Those defense's don't have the swarming relentlessness that we do, esp now.

The Jets D is tough, but so is Baltimore's and we went through them like sliced bread. You might think you won't be denied, but we don't think so neither.

This. The Jets are a bad Football team. They do nothing impressive. Very lucky to be here. They havent beat a single good team all year long.

And most definitely destiny is on #7's side. You know how destiny like to repay people like him who do the things he's done. Poor guy. He's got it rough. He's done nothing to deserve whats happened to him and destiny will be on his side.

Steelerfreak58
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Can't wait for tomorrow to get here and that game clock to start ticking. Lets see how many "Jets" fans come dropping by after they catch a serious beat down tomorrow.

SteeleReign
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
This. The Jets are a bad Football team. They do nothing impressive. Very lucky to be here. They havent beat a single good team all year long.

And most definitely destiny is on #7's side. You know how destiny like to repay people like him who do the things he's done. Poor guy. He's got it rough. He's done nothing to deserve whats happened to him and destiny will be on his side.

Calm down there Trigger - don't get carried away. We should expect to win this game, but saying that the Jets are a bad team and didn't beat any good football teams is a tad over the top. They did beat us not long ago, and their road through the playoffs to this game has been pretty tough.

SteelCityMom
01-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Calm down there Trigger - don't get carried away. We should expect to win this game, but saying that the Jets are a bad team and didn't beat any good football teams is a tad over the top. They did beat us not long ago, and their road through the playoffs to this game has been pretty tough.

Don't take his (banned) posts seriously. He's just a Jets fan trolling.

SteeleReign
01-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Don't take his (banned) posts seriously. He's just a Jets fan trolling.

Dang! And I took the bait...:banging:

KingsOfTheGridiron
01-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Destiny doesn't exist my man. It's hard work and game planning. If you rely on destiny alone, you lose.

Fire Arians
01-22-2011, 06:54 PM
They aren't saying anything Jet fans don't already know. This is our year.

hasn't worked for you guys in 42 years. why will it now? lol

Deserei90
01-22-2011, 08:01 PM
WOW, The Jets are just asking for a a** whooping.

dcbng
01-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Yes, the jets do have a good defense, but just not good enough.

Their defense is not as good as the Steelers, and not even as good as the rats.

More like a rats lite defense.

Fire Arians
01-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Yes, the jets do have a good defense, but just not good enough.

Their defense is not as good as the Steelers, and not even as good as the rats.

More like a rats lite defense.

well the jets have a better coverage secondary. i don't think their front 7 is anywhere near as nasty as baltimore though

Steelboy84
01-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Someone doing big talk on the ESPN board.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nfl&id=pit&tid=8108896&lid=20