PDA

View Full Version : Deadspin - Why No One Remembers The Mark Sanchez Rape Case.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
We continue to get a steady diet of stories on the Roethlisberger allegations which raise the issue of how any decent person could possibly support a NFL team with such a vile person at QB

As Steelers Rise, Roethlisberger Affection Returns
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/01/22/sports/football/AP-FBN-Steelers-The-Winning-Attitude.html?ref=sports

In Pittsburgh, a Quarterback Split
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/sports/football/15steelers.html?scp=2&sq=karen%20crouse%20roethlisberger&st=cse

Milledgeville, Ga., has left Ben Roethlisberger controversy behind

[Milledgeville DA Fred] Bright said there was no way he could have convinced a jury beyond a reasonable doubt Roethlisberger had committed a crime.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/21/AR2011012106465.html

Since the media and Jets fans will not quit flogging Roethlisberger, Deadspin puts this story into play

Any Jets fan who wants to come here and throw rocks at Roethlisberger while trashing Steelers fans for rooting for him should take a look at another case of a college student accusing an athlete of sexual assault and no charges being brought - maybe Karen Crouse of The New York Times can write a story as to whether New York City is split over Sanchez because of these allegations

Why No One Remembers The Mark Sanchez Rape Case

A friend sent me an e-card this week. It's a woman spraying a can of Mace into the air, and the caption reads, "I can't wait to see what strategic defense the Jets use against a gigantic rapist."

The card made me laugh, and I hoped again that the Steelers would lose, even if that meant the Jets would win, for the simple reason that Ben Roethlisberger is at worst a rapist and at best a sexual bully. But then someone reminded me about Mark Sanchez.

It took a Google search, and a voyage to a time before that October 2009 GQ photo spread, but I was reminded: In April 2006, Mark Sanchez was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault. He was 19 years old, a redshirt freshman who was considered the next Matt Leinart at a time when that actually meant something good. But Sanchez went out one night (using a fake Arizona ID that listed his name as "Jordan Traver Uttal"), and he apparently did a good bit of drinking, and at some point the following day a female USC student felt compelled to call the police. Here's what the Los Angeles Times reported:

Los Angeles Police Department officers took the 19-year-old redshirt freshman into custody about 4 p.m., after a female USC student told police she had been sexually assaulted by Sanchez in the early morning. Sanchez, from Mission Viejo, was arrested at the Cardinal Gardens apartment complex at 3131 McClintock Ave.

Police would not say where the alleged assault occurred.

The security system at a nearby club Sanchez visited late Tuesday night shows him leaving at 12:59 a.m. Wednesday.

[...]

Witnesses to the arrest said the area just north of campus was swarming with police and campus safety officers as Sanchez and sophomore linebacker Brian Cushing were led away from Building E in the sprawling complex.

Cushing was released at the scene.

Sanchez was never charged, and the case dropped a couple of months later after investigators determined there was a lack of evidence. (Medical examinations of Sanchez and the alleged victim were inconclusive on "the issue of force," as the Associated Press put it. Prosecutors said it was "essentially a 'one-on-one' allegation.") Sanchez went on to earn the starting job in his junior season and was picked fifth overall by the Jets in the 2009 NFL Draft.

And still this week, with story after story about Roethlisberger's redemption two-step, and even considerable mention of New York wide receiver Santonio Holmes's assault — still, almost the only place I've seen Sanchez's history mentioned is in the comments sections of the articles that omit it. There are reasons both logical and stupid why the rape allegations against Roethlisberger remain so much a part of his public image and the ones against Sanchez have largely been forgotten. For one thing, Roethlisberger had been accused of sexual assault before he ever set foot in the Milledgeville restroom, and in the latter incident we can be certain he was guilty, at the very least, of drunken and boorish sexual behavior (whereas no details like this ever emerged from the Sanchez case). For another, Roethlisberger was already known to be kind of an asshole.

But the media seem to have gone out of the way to be sympathetic to Sanchez, and it illustrates just how flimsy and manufactured an athlete's public image can be. The press went so far as to turn the rape allegation into your standard-issue bit of sports-world adversity schlock. After he was drafted, the New York Daily News ran a brief story that touched upon the 2006 incident: "In best of times, Mark Sanchez talks about worst day of his life." Sanchez is portrayed as a repentant, deserving young man who learned from a bad experience and became an NFL-caliber quarterback because of it. "The only record connected to Sanchez's name after that was his win-loss mark as he went 12-1 with a Rose Bowl victory over Penn State," the article explains. (Imagine someone making a similar pun in a story about Roethlisberger.) Bad reputations have been built on a lot less than an unsubstantiated rape allegation. At draft time and in the run-up to the 2009 season, for instance, people made plenty of vague allusions to Percy Harvin's "character issues," which consisted of nothing more than testing positive for weed. All people talked about regarding Sanchez — who, remember, had spent a night in jail on suspicion of sexual assault — was his poise. It's amazing what some good genes and a nice set of dimples can do for your rep.

For all we know, Sanchez really was innocent and totally deserves the public image being crafted for him. But it's hard not to think that the fact he is a young, good-looking quarterback — one with a young Namath's charm and a gentle ancestral immigration story at a time of great anti-immigrant unease — made it all too easy to ignore the uglier stuff. There's a story everyone wants to tell about Sanchez, and his getting popped on a rape accusation doesn't fit.

http://deadspin.com/5739780/why-no-one-remembers-the-mark-sanchez-rape-case

Matt. 7:1-5

mcg24
01-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Great stuff, to be honest I can't say I'm much better, I totally forgot about this incident. But man, what a way the press has of manipulating stories. This story about Sanchez disappeared VERY quickly, while they choose to keep the Roethlisberger incident around as long as possible.

bigchuck
01-22-2011, 05:05 PM
who cares

lionslicer
01-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Sanchez is a pretty boy so he gets away with this type of stuff all the time.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2011, 05:09 PM
who cares

Just passing it along - if you do not like it don't read it

OX1947
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
I sick and tired of these (bleepin) rape cases with no proof of anything. If someone is raped, hospitals have a very thorough rape kit system that can determine rape from normal sex. They can get DNA, blood, sperm, etc to prove who it was. I never see any of this when some chick accuses someone of rape with these athletes and I am sick of it.

If you get raped, GO TO THE HOSPITAL, call the cops THAT DAY, get your Rape kit and if you were raped, you will win. and where are these girls father's? because if my kid was raped, Big Ben, Mark Sanchez, whoever, wouldn't have to worry about public ridicule and losing endorsements because their lives would end.

lionslicer
01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I sick and tired of these (bleepin) rape cases with no proof of anything. If someone is raped, hospitals have a very thorough rape kit system that can determine rape from normal sex. They can get DNA, blood, sperm, etc to prove who it was. I never see any of this when some chick accuses someone of rape with these athletes and I am sick of it.

If you get raped, GO TO THE HOSPITAL, call the cops THAT DAY, get your Rape kit and if you were raped, you will win. and where are these girls father's? because if my kid was raped, Big Ben, Mark Sanchez, whoever, wouldn't have to worry about public ridicule and losing endorsements because their lives would end.

The average american doesn't look into anything, they see "so and so accused of rape" and believe its true.

tanda10506
01-22-2011, 05:27 PM

this^

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-22-2011, 05:50 PM

AMEN.

The new stories don't ever mention any of that. Not being able to find enough male DNA after a supposed rape is almost physically impossible if a rape or assault actually took place.

Of course, I do have to be fair though and mention that they swabbed the girl's mouth in Georgia for DNA, so she must have swallowed all the evidence... Just wondering though, without going into the "mechanics" of it, how do you force a blowjob from someone besides holding one of their loved ones hostage or something? It doesn't add up (among MANY other things in her accusation), THAT is an act that almost HAS TO BE voluntary on both parties for it to happen.....

Needless to say, after reading through all the evidence available in both cases (in Ben's cases), I amTHOROUGHLY NOT CONVINCED ANY ASSAULT TOOK PLACE.

fer522
01-22-2011, 06:23 PM
who cares

i do
i watch espn everyday and i did not know this

SteelCityMom
01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Not to be rude or anything...but you guys, are well, guys. And there's a few things here that sound very ignorant.

1. Have you ever heard of a condom? Pulling out? A lot of times rapists will do this for the very reason that they prevent their DNA from being collected (unless the girl fights back and gets the attackers skin under her nails). There doesn't have to be DNA for there to be rape.

2. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that none of you were ever raped or sexually assaulted (yes I know it's possible, but from the context of speech here...it's very unlikely). To assume that it's just an easy step for all women to go to the hospital or call the cops, or even tell friends and family members after they are raped is 100% false. Many women feel ashamed, dirty, self loathing and a myriad of other emotions that you'll probably never understand after such an attack occurs. Sometimes it's just not that cut and dry. Is it something they should do? Absolutely. Is it that easy? Never. It's very easy for people to be looking at a situation they've never been in, or never dealt with and provide all the easy answers for it, but until you've been faced with that situation, it's impossible to understand why some do what they do.

3. Rape is one of the hardest crimes to prove...even with DNA evidence. Almost every woman on the face of the Earth knows this. So do most men. Both sexes sometimes use that knowledge to their advantage.

4. I've never once been comfortable calling Ben 100% innocent. I don't know what happened that night. There are a ton of variable to consider. He is a very rich, high profile man which makes him an easy target...but doesn't mean it's impossible for him to do the things he was accused of. I much prefer not judging it either way. Most sensible people do the same thing. None of us have all the facts, and none of us should act like we do.

5. I've joked about Sanchez' case with a few Jets members here who've brought up the Big Ben thing. While I do think it's fair that they know what their QB is accused of when they bring up ours, it's not fair the manner I presented it in. In hindsight, I handled it badly...but the temptation of throwing back the ridicule we've taken here for quite a while now was too much. The reality of it is, both guys were accused of something very serious. There's a chance one or both of them did it. There's a chance neither of them did it. We might never know. If we ever find out though, it'll most likely be in a horrible way (another charge that will likely stick).

I'll leave it at that. I just had to say my piece on this because I don't think it's fair to assume that every woman will handle being raped or sexually assaulted in a cut and dry manner. There were just too many broad statements for me.

SteelCityMom
01-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Ok...I thought about this for a few minutes as well and decided moving this to the Locker Room (because of the nature of the discussion) was probably best.

Please don't hate me Dan. I swear I'm not power tripping. :chuckle:

1st&Goal
01-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Excellent post, SCMom.

Lets shift gears here for a second. Has anyone ever checked his (Sanchez's) green card? If not him, I suspect there was an illegal border crossing somewhere along the line in his family. :rofl:

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Ok...I thought about this for a few minutes as well and decided moving this to the Locker Room (because of the nature of the discussion) was probably best.

Please don't hate me Dan. I swear I'm not power tripping. :chuckle:

As you recall, i was banned by the previous regime - I know power tripping when I see it and moving this to the Locker Room is certainly not that
:drink:

SteelCityMom
01-22-2011, 08:05 PM
As you recall, i was banned by the previous regime - I know power tripping when I see it and moving this to the Locker Room is certainly not that
:drink:

Thanks lol. And I'm not even sure it should stay here, because it is relevant news, given how Ben's case has been handled by the media...I just wasn't sure and went with my gut at the time.

If Tony or Pete think it belongs in the Steelers section, I'm ok with that too.

fer522
01-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Lets shift gears here for a second. Has anyone ever checked his (Sanchez's) green card? If not him, I suspect there was an illegal border crossing somewhere along the line in his family

really foo? if you have nothing relevant to say than shut the f**k up
i guess you must be a Native American
i know steelers fan are not racist towards any race
and no i dont like Sanchez, even though i am Mexican i've
been a steelers fan since i was 7or 8 years old
your comment or joke was just not funny to me
im proud to be Mexican and im definitely proud to be a STEELER
:tt03: :drink:

1st&Goal
01-22-2011, 10:09 PM
really foo? if you have nothing relevant to say than shut the f**k up
i guess you must be a Native American
i know steelers fan are not racist towards any race
and no i dont like Sanchez, even though i am Mexican i've
been a steelers fan since i was 7or 8 years old
your comment or joke was just not funny to me
im proud to be Mexican and im definitely proud to be a STEELER
:tt03: :drink:

Please......Lighten up........And I'm not racist. Far from it. My comment was meant to be a slight on illegal immigration, not nationality. I don't give damn where you come from, as long as you're in this country legally. I do, however, have problem with illegal immigration. So don't direct your anger at me, I'm a citizen of the USA and the Steeler nation.

So tell me, are you a Mexican living in Mexico? Or a Mexican living legally in the US? Or an American of Mexican heritage? If you are an American of Mexican heritage, THEN YOU'RE AN AMERICAN, NOT A MEXICAN.

fer522
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
i'm 100% MEXICAN
living in 1 of the most beautiful countries in the world (71913)
and you know this is a steelers fever.com, right? we talk sports
not peoples legal status

go steelers :tt03:

fer522
01-22-2011, 11:18 PM
i forgive you bro :chuckle:

im here to make friends, friend :wave:

go steelers

1st&Goal
01-22-2011, 11:19 PM
i'm 100% MEXICAN
living in 1 of the most beautiful countries in the world (71913)
and you know this is a steelers fever.com, right? we talk sports
not peoples legal status

go steelers :tt03:

My friend, you do indeed live in a beautiful country with awesome people. I've been to Mexico many times, and I have met some very nice people there. I regret if I offended you i any way, that was not my intention, but lets hate Sanchez together anyway, shall we? :drink: :tt:

fer522
01-22-2011, 11:28 PM
lets hate Sanchez together anyway, shall we?:drink: :tt:

right on bro :drink: :thumbsup:

go steelers

1st&Goal
01-22-2011, 11:47 PM
right on bro :drink: :thumbsup:

go steelers

HERE WE GO !!!!!! :drink: :thumbsup: :tt03: