PDA

View Full Version : texans agree to deal with mario williams

Koopa
04-28-2006, 07:23 PM
according to rachel nichols

i'll post up a story when i find a link

EDIT:

The Texans have told ESPN's Rachel Nichols that they have reached an agreement with Mario Williams, making him the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2426003

DIESELMAN
04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Sorry Koop I just posted this in the DD didn't see it here......The Texans selecting Mario Williams shakes up the entire first round of the 2006 NFL Draft and blows just about every mock draft out of the water! What trades will be made now that Reggie Bush has fallen out of the No. 1 spot now? Where will Reggie land? It doesn't get any better than this its going to be an interesting draft.....:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2006, 07:51 PM
I still call BS... this is the texans trying to force some leeway in the negoiations between their FO and the agents for Reggie Bush. Taking Mario makes more sense for the texans but I still think they're gonna go with Reggie when its all said and done.

Ambridge
04-28-2006, 07:53 PM
That's a major curveball by the Texans.
I heard yesterday that Houston and Bush were still far apart on an agreement.

I wonder how much cash Bush loses out on by not being the number one overall???

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Plus he's smack in the middle of the NFLPA investigating that whole not paying rent on the mansion deal that his family's been living in.

Koopa
04-28-2006, 08:13 PM
I still call BS... this is the texans trying to force some leeway in the negoiations between their FO and the agents for Reggie Bush. Taking Mario makes more sense for the texans but I still think they're gonna go with Reggie when its all said and done.

oh no you better believe lol

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have signed North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams to a six-year, $54 million deal, making him the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft Saturday.

Of the $54 million, Williams is guaranteed $26.5 million.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly had cautioned earlier in the week that anyone concluding the team had decided on Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and was only using Williams as leverage was mistaken.

The choice of Williams by the Texans could dramatically alter the landscape of the early segment of the first round. The New Orleans Saints, with the second choice, have indicated they would snap up Bush if he fell to their slot. But the Saints had hinted, in general, that they might entertain trade offers for their pick.

The availability of Bush at the No. 2 spot would almost certainly elicit trade offers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2426003

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Well well well, I suppose I should stand corrected then. Apparently Casserly and company realize the key to building a successful team starts with the guys in the trenches. You could see a flury of trade offers going berzerk from now till tomorrow morning when they get on the clock!

Rep points to you koopa!

MichiSteeler
04-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm... I dont think that was the smartest possible pick on the texans part 'cough' dbrickashaw ferguson 'cough' i mean they led the league in most times sacked... by a LOT. o well... this well definatly shake up the previous almost sure thing of the top 10

tony hipchest
04-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Plus he's smack in the middle of the NFLPA investigating that whole not paying rent on the mansion deal that his family's been living in.

well it was a $750,000 3000 square foot home in so. cal. a pretty modest abode by any standards where the land it was on was probably worth than the house itself. assuming his stepdad had a decent middle class job, they very well could afford the lease on their own without any outside help. i think people are automatically coming to the conclusio that this house was above his parents means. i dont know, but 3000 feet isnt that big.

assuming the texans dont draft bush it is a good sign that some owners are taking back control of how much they pay these rookies and their agents. he will take flak but it is a business. having the weapons to stop peyton is #1 priority to winning his division anyways.

MasterOfPuppets
04-29-2006, 01:28 AM
well it was a $750,000 3000 square foot home in so. cal. a pretty modest abode by any standards where the land it was on was probably worth than the house itself. assuming his stepdad had a decent middle class job, they very well could afford the lease on their own without any outside help. i think people are automatically coming to the conclusio that this house was above his parents means. i dont know, but 3000 feet isnt that big.

assuming the texans dont draft bush it is a good sign that some owners are taking back control of how much they pay these rookies and their agents. he will take flak but it is a business. having the weapons to stop peyton is #1 priority to winning his division anyways.
considering they moved out the day after the jig was up,speaks volumes.

Livinginthe past
04-29-2006, 02:53 AM
I really, REALLY dont want to see Reggie Bush playing for the Jets next year.

Question is, who has the draft pick weaponry to trade up and get him from the Saints?

Jets have two 1st rounders.

If the Saints were to take him (they have said they would jump at the chance, but probably thought they never would get the opportunity) then what would happen to Deuce McAllister?

I can't believe the Texans have passed on Reggie and then not picked D'Brickshaw!

NM

83-Steelers-43
04-29-2006, 07:45 AM
First, I see Bush sporting a Jets jersey next year. Should be interesting.

Second, if the Texans were going to draft a lineman, why not take the best offensive lineman available? For a team that gave up 68 sacks last season, I would think that would be priority #1.

Third, in my opinion the Texans could have traded down in the first, maybe with the jets, and picked up an extra pick and still have gotten Mario Williams.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

3 to be 4
04-29-2006, 08:35 AM
First, I see Bush sporting a Jets jersey next year. Should be interesting.

Second, if the Texans were going to draft a lineman, why not take the best offensive lineman available? For a team that gave up 68 sacks last season, I would think that would be priority #1.

Third, in my opinion the Texans could have traded down in the first, maybe with the jets, and picked up an extra pick and still have gotten Mario Williams.

You should always build defense first. Opposing OB's had a passer rating of over 100 on them last year. that being said, i agree with your trading down point. there is enough talent in this drft that 2 picks out of the first 60 are worth more than one top pick.

83-Steelers-43
04-29-2006, 08:42 AM
I understand and I agree that you build a defense first, but I still feel they should have picked up the best o-lineman and then worried about a defense. If I was picking later in the rounds, then it would be a totally different story.

Livinginthe past
04-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Is there a good Texans board anywhere? I'd like to see the meltdown over there (based on the wailing and grinding of teeth by Texans fans on the LSU board).

The Texans did have a good board....

.......but they traded it for a conditional 2025 7th rounder. :rolleyes:

NM