PDA

View Full Version : Ike still fastest Steeler?

chitownpit
01-23-2011, 03:03 AM
In cutting through 6hrs of pregame shows on my dvr tonight i came across
a interview with Ike [kick the baby] Taylor, stating he`s getting tired of hearing
about how fast all these young recievers are. Tom waddle [ex bear reciever]
on chicago sports night said Ike told the recieving corps to put up or shut up
and wanted to foot race anybody on the team that thought he wasnt the fastest
Steeler.
Now here is the kicker folks, no takers! Not even the great Mike Wallace
dared tarnesh his reputation as one of the top 3 fastest men in the NFL.
Now im remembering back to our last superbowl team and somebody
told Troy thats it`s suprising seeing a strong saftey , the fastest man on
his team . Well he was quick to stop him and correct him ,
. Ike is by far the fasest man on this team . Now if im mistaken
was`nt Nate Washington on this team . And was`nt Nate being paraded
by the leauge as one of the top 3 fastest men in the league ?
Some day Ike , some day you`ll get the respect you deserve.:bowdown:

SteelKnight
01-23-2011, 03:16 AM
I think Wallace said he was second to Ike. Ike is getting up there in age though. He will slow down in the next 3 years or so.

lionslicer
01-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Well Wallace runs a 4.3? Ike ran a 4.26 just last year. Probably the fastest 30 year old and probably the fastest player on the team. And he doesn't let up, he works as hard as anyone. I don't think he'll actually go down to a 4.40 until he's well into his 40's.

Ike ran a 4.1 years ago, thats Deion Sanders speed...

MikeHaullace
01-23-2011, 03:34 AM

I bet Deion can still run a 4.4 rollin' out of bed.

MattsMe
01-23-2011, 04:08 AM
Here's an excellent article and even better video from the Trib last year on Ike's speed.

It's interesting to note that his sprint coach says Ike is the fastest player he's ever coached, and he's coached Chris Johnson and Deion Sanders. So yeah, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Ike is still the fastest.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_635267.html

Ike mentions Wallace towards the end of the video.

He's one of the best, and definitely the most underrated, in the league. But partly because he can't catch, and mostly because of the scheme that he plays in, he'll never get the mainstream credit he deserves.

MikeHaullace
01-23-2011, 04:20 AM
Here's an excellent article and even better video from the Trib last year on Ike's speed.

It's interesting to note that his sprint coach says Ike is the fastest player he's ever coached, and he's coached Chris Johnson and Deion Sanders. So yeah, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Ike is still the fastest.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_635267.html

Ike mentions Wallace towards the end of the video.

That was a good video. It really made me appreciate how fast he really is. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "faster than Woodson and/or Deion???? noooooo." Ike just has that dig.

Based on Ike's reaction when Mike came to mind and what he said about him, it's safe to assume that Ike knows he's not far behind him in the speed department.

And I loved the jib at the end... Not a problem, indeed.

SteelKnight
01-23-2011, 04:22 AM
He's one of the best, and definitely the most underrated, in the league. But partly because he can't catch, and mostly because of the scheme that he plays in, he'll never get the mainstream credit he deserves.

Even though his catching has improved this year, it makes a difference. If you truly want to reach shut down corner status, you do that by intimidation. QBs don't want to throw your way because they are afraid you will pick it and possibly pick 6. So on top of whatever natural skill you have to limit catches and stick with your man, you do well because not many balls come your way...so then at the end it shows you shut down a receiver. If they are not afraid of INTs, why not throw your way? It means you have to work harder to get to that same status...and you eventually will be beat.

sharkweek
01-23-2011, 06:46 AM
<3 Stone Hands

DanRooney
01-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Wallace is faster. At least he is in pads.. You can just tell by watching them on the field.

steelerdave1969
01-23-2011, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that Ike Taylor
is faster than Mike Wallace . . Hats off to
Mr Taylor
:hatsoff:

chitownpit
01-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Well Wallace runs a 4.3? Ike ran a 4.26 just last year. Probably the fastest 30 year old and probably the fastest player on the team. And he doesn't let up, he works as hard as anyone. I don't think he'll actually go down to a 4.40 until he's well into his 40's.

Just so everybody knows Darrell Green [ hall of fame corner]
jumped in with the linebackers after the the hall of fame flag foot ball
game at last years competions and ran a 4.8 at 49 years old.
Thats faster than alot of free saftes out there.

chitownpit
01-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the great feed back folks, great stats , and vidieo , and great
appreciation for a great corner! Over here in chicago this man is talked
about like crap. It just kills me. :tt03:

lionslicer
01-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Just so everybody knows Darrell Green [ hall of fame corner]
jumped in with the linebackers after the the hall of fame flag foot ball
game at last years competions and ran a 4.8 at 49 years old.
Thats faster than alot of free saftes out there.

He actually ran a 4.5 when he turned 50. He wasn't stretched the day he did 4.8 lol.

MattsMe
01-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Wallace is faster. At least he is in pads.. You can just tell by watching them on the field.

Of course Wallace is faster on the field. You'll almost never see Ike run all out. If he did he would outrun the guy he's covering. :doh: Also Wallace knows beforehand where he's going to run. Ike is following a receiver, and has to react to his movements first.

I'm sure it's a very close call who's faster, but we'll never find that out in the game.

wutchy
01-23-2011, 05:00 PM
The punter Sepulveda is among the fastest Steelers. Ike, Wallace, Troy, Lewis are faster, but not by much. Sepulveda runs a legitimate 4.4 40.

MikeHaullace
01-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Sepulveda runs a legitimate 4.4 40.

He doesn't now.