PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me (the media hype)

stlrtruck
01-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I've been listening to talk radio, watching sports shows all week and it seems to me that they've all been talking about how great the jets are this post-season? Almost seemingly wishing for the jets to win?

Hmmm, I wonder if the players have been listening to this.

Pittsburgh43
01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
If any of them have watched a minute of ESPN this past week, they know. lol

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2011, 08:47 AM
I've been listening to talk radio, watching sports shows all week and it seems to me that they've all been talking about how great the jets are this post-season? Almost seemingly wishing for the jets to win?

Players presumably have been listening to it and coaches may pass along particular comments to try and geek up the players (e.g. - in his rant Bart Scott knew which team Tom Jackson and Keyshawn Johnson had picked on the ESPN show earlier that day to win Pats-Jets) but this game is not Steelers-Panthers, it is for a trip to the Super Bowl - I would assume players do not need to look for motivation:noidea:

With regard to the Jets, they are a better media story from the media HQ of the country for the Super Bowl as opposed to a Steelers team that was just there 2 years ago - so the Jets accordingly will get the hype

ucsteve667
01-23-2011, 08:59 AM
others talk...STEELERS WIN

steel-EERS
01-23-2011, 09:06 AM
love how ESPN talk about the "heritage" of the Bears and packers and treat the steelers like they are some expansion team. HELLO! we have been around since 1933!!

winningisnewtome
01-23-2011, 09:26 AM
love how ESPN talk about the "heritage" of the Bears and packers and treat the steelers like they are some expansion team. HELLO! we have been around since 1933!!

they are doing that because bears/packers is a HUGEE rivalry. Everyone knows the main game is Jets/Steelers.

4xSBChamps
01-23-2011, 09:40 AM
if the same group of players and coaches who make-up the Jets were from Denver, Jacksonville, or Cleveland, the national media, ESPN, and USA Today wouldn't give them the time of day, hyping an average-at-best QB, encouraging the trash-talking, and ignoring the team which won the Championship just 2 years ago:
conversely, the constant blowing of sunshine up the Jets' skirts, which can't be ignored, should keep the Steeler players focused at the task at-hand

SeinfeldNut
01-23-2011, 09:44 AM
And the amount of people who are now "Jets fans" here in Nj and NYC is amazing. I have not walked around malls, stores, supermarkets etc and seen so much green in my life. It makes me even prouder to put on my Steeler cap :smile:

steelerzfannforever
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
I wouldnt have it any other way. Let the idiots talk about the Jets and crown them champions. The Steelers thrive off of being overlooked and will come out and prove everyone wrong. This is a good thing!!

StainlessStill
01-23-2011, 09:52 AM
The Steelers will once again dominate a paper-champion! These Jets have won JACK-SHIT. HERE WE GO!

therocksteeler
01-23-2011, 09:58 AM
I love it when the media count us out. It only leads to one thing....tackling fuel!!!!

FanSince72
01-23-2011, 10:09 AM

That's why I stopped watching all that crap.

Let's face it, back in '05, they were doing the very same thing with us. Even though we had to get through the Colts and most of the pundits thought we didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning in Indy, they were all secretly pulling for us to go all the way because everyone loves an underdog.

I mean it's not hard to understand the excitement - especially when you consider that there are no sentimental or record-breaking reasons for us to win but there are about a half-dozen reason for the Jets to win.

Sure for us there's the 15th AFCC game angle or the 7 and 7 record that could be broken, but all of that pales in comparison to what the Jets are on the brink of doing. Add to that the fact that the Jets are in the New York market and that makes the hype go up even more.

I guess this is the way it is when you get to a point where you're sitting on top of the pile -- when you're the team whose won the most hardware and in the minds of many, has nothing to prove.

But the thing we have to realize is that New England has been in that situation too and they always seemed to be ready to go even when there wasn't much to motivate them. That's the problem with being the best; the best win because they're supposed to and the best don't "need" a reason.

I just hope that everyone in our locker room realizes that.

SoCalFan
01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Im glad,to be honest its Steeler nation against the world.Im thinking this game will have the highest T.V.ratings in championship game history with most dissapointed viewers leaving with the impression,DAM,the Steelers are a kick ass team!!!!:tt03:

330steelerguy
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
If they want to crown their ass then crown there ass!! (dennis green voice). But come 6:30 we will see what 6 championships and wanting 7 looks like!!! "FEAR THE TOWEL"

4xSBChamps
01-23-2011, 12:14 PM
listening to a pair of East Coast (attempting) sports-announcers, pumping-up the Jets, asking 'how will the Steelers not-lose again to the Jets?':
when a caller said he had to make his call short because he was going to church, they told him 'pray-hard for your Steelers'

:blah:

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Im glad,to be honest its Steeler nation against the world.Im thinking this game will have the highest T.V.ratings in championship game history with most dissapointed viewers leaving with the impression,DAM,the Steelers are a kick ass team!!!!:tt03:

Nice. I can't wait to hear Ryan melting down as he looks at the wreckage of another season as the Steelers go on to the Super Bowl.

1Ferrari
01-23-2011, 12:56 PM
The Jets arent even over beating Belicheat last week. They have nothing to "prove" since they beat us last time too. They have no chance.

MACH1
01-23-2011, 01:17 PM

According to faulk we've already lost.

lionslicer
01-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Jets beat 2 future hall of fame quarterbacks to get to the AFC championship, I think they deserve the right to be talked about. Steelers beat the Ravens... It was a slug fest and an awesome game, but it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Let the Jets have their glory, after tonight they'll be weaping in it.

kfender69
01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
It will be a great game.Could go either way.If we shut down the run and turn Sanchez into panic mode we should win convincingly.I haven't said anything to anyone all week about how I feel.Let's go Steelers!!!!!On to 7

harrison'samonster
01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Jets beat 2 future hall of fame quarterbacks to get to the AFC championship, I think they deserve the right to be talked about. Steelers beat the Ravens... It was a slug fest and an awesome game, but it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Let the Jets have their glory, after tonight they'll be weaping in it.

I agree completely. Beating Manning and Brady in back to back playoff games is really big. They do deserve hype, what they've already accomplished this post-season is something to be really proud of. With all that being said, hype isn't going to win you any games, and the Steelers are better right now than the Pats/Colts were as teams this year.