PDA

View Full Version : Report: Palmer wants trade or will retire

NYC_Steeler
01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
...he wants out of Cincinnati. Link: http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27196188

It's just a matter of time before the rest of the Bungles start leaving.

Report: Palmer wants trade or will retirePosted on: January 23, 2011 1:50 pm
Posted by Josh Katzowitz

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen is reporting that Bengals QB Carson Palmer wants out of Cincinnati and, if he’s not dealt, he could retire from football.

Palmer is coming off a tough year – though his statistics (61.8 completion percentage, 3,970 yards, 26 TDs and 20 INTs) aren’t that terrible – and despite the organization’s attempts to surround him with receiving weapons, it appears he’s already on the downside of his career.

But, like I wrote earlier, it doesn’t appear the Bengals, coming off a 4-12 season, feel the need to make improvements.

That might have something to do with Palmer’s desire to leave, although he has four years and $50 million of base salary left on his contract (how bad must Palmer want to go if he’s going to leave THAT much money on the table?).

And what will Cincinnati do without Palmer if he’s dealt or retires, considering backup QB Jordan Palmer – Carson’s brother – is not a starting NFL quarterback? Well, the Bengals have the No. 4 pick in the Draft, so they could take a QB there, or they could grab a veteran free agent like Marc Bulger for a short-term solution.

But losing Palmer is a big deal, and no matter how mediocre he’s been the past two season, this is bad news for the Bengals.

SeinfeldNut
01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Just looking at the Bengals and how badly run their organization is, I thank the Lord that I saw the light and became a Steelers fan.

MACH1
01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Palmer to the suckhawks.

SteelCityMom
01-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Again folks (not picking on you NYC)...If you're posting an article, please keep the thread title the same as the story to avoid double posting. The actual story didn't have anything to do with the Steelers either, so it's being moved to the NFL forum.

With that said, the only thing I'm surprised about is it took him so long to threaten to leave that shithole.

theplatypus
01-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I can't really blame him for wanting out.

lionslicer
01-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Well they'll still have his brother when he leaves lol.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-23-2011, 02:37 PM
The Vikings or 49ers might have just found a QB.

NYC_Steeler
01-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Again folks (not picking on you NYC)...If you're posting an article, please keep the thread title the same as the story to avoid double posting. The actual story didn't have anything to do with the Steelers either, so it's being moved to the NFL forum.

With that said, the only thing I'm surprised about is it took him so long to threaten to leave that shithole.

Sorry - I just chuckled when I though of him wanting out of the AFC North - most likely because of the beatings he's taken at the hands of the Steelers. Funny when you think about it> :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

harrison'samonster
01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
maybe now we can go for Palmer and get a real QB lol

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Remember in 2005 when Carson Palmer was in the conversation with Brady and Manning as the best QB in the game and Ben was game manager who would always eat Palmer's dust?

Palmer is in a bad situation in Cincy but it is a question whether he is trying to enhance his marketability by saying he wants to jump before he is pushed - he has a huge contract payment coming up in 2011 that the Bengals would be nuts to pay based upon his declining skills

harrison'samonster
01-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Remember in 2005 when Carson Palmer was in the conversation with Brady and Manning as the best QB in the game and Ben was game manager who would always eat Palmer's dust?

Palmer is in a bad situation in Cincy but it is a question whether he is trying to enhance his marketability by saying he wants to jump before he is pushed - he has a huge contract payment coming up in 2011 that the Bengals would be nuts to pay based upon his declining skills

Yeah, back in '05 I remember Bengals fans talking about how amazingly great Palmer was, and he was obviously going to win them several super bowls.

He has been good, he just plays for a hopeless team.

jjpro11
01-23-2011, 03:38 PM
please don't leave the AFC North Palmer!!! please stay!!!

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2011, 03:45 PM
please don't leave the AFC North Palmer!!! please stay!!!

Actually he has played the Ravens tough over the years - Ravens losing in Cincy tipped the division this year

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Gregg Doyel of CBS Sportsline lives in Cincinnati - if Jay Cutler quitting in Chicago today does not give Steelers fans an appreciation for how great it is to have a mentally tough QB, read this

Call Carson's bluff, Bengals. Let him quit

Palmer was so mentally weak that, as his injuries mounted and his numbers started to decline, the Bengals brought in the most harmless backup quarterback in the history of the NFL -- the starter's little brother. With Jordan Palmer as the No. 2, there was never a question who would be No. 1. Carson never had to worry. Never had to compete.

His production kept sliding. His impact in the locker room kept receding. He never said a harsh word about the idiots around him, his silence setting free Ochocinco and Houshmandzadeh and Owens.

Now he wants out? Really? Palmer doesn't deserve a fresh start. He helped steer this team into the iceberg, so he can go down with the ship. Or he can do the most Carson Palmer-like maneuver imaginable and quit.

http://gregg-doyel.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/27206938

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2011, 11:38 PM
damn i gotta get glasses , i don't know how i missed this thread...sorry mom..:hide:

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2011, 11:42 PM
possible places he could land...
sanfran
seattle
arizona ... his wife is from arizona , they just had their first child.

SteelCityMom
01-23-2011, 11:43 PM
damn i gotta get glasses , i don't know how i missed this thread...sorry mom..:hide:

Nothing 30 lashes with my whip won't fix! :whip: :naughty:

Third Rail
01-24-2011, 01:58 AM
I hope they let him go. As shaky as his play has been over the years, if the Bungles are forced to go with a rookie at QB or start one of their pathetic backups, they'll be lucky they win ONE game next year. Of course, they could always go after a half-decent free agent like Kolb, but come on. Do you really think Mike Brown is going to offer up the cash?

They'll probably sign some hack like Alex Smith or JaMarcus Russell.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 04:19 AM
The Vikings or 49ers might have just found a QB.

Yeah. I think he could help either of those teams.

I hope Jonathan Joseph leaves too. lol

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 04:20 AM
I hope they let him go. As shaky as his play has been over the years, if the Bungles are forced to go with a rookie at QB or start one of their pathetic backups, they'll be lucky they win ONE game next year. Of course, they could always go after a half-decent free agent like Kolb, but come on. Do you really think Mike Brown is going to offer up the cash?

They'll probably sign some hack like Alex Smith or JaMarcus Russell.

Maybe they will draft Cam Newton.

Pentheon
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I dont think hes gonna get traded...the bengals said they have no plans to trade him.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
I dont think hes gonna get traded...the bengals said they have no plans to trade him.

Who would want to trade for him? They'd much rather his contract be paid out by the Bengals so they could offer him a much cheaper contract

MasterOfPuppets
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
i fail to see how it's of any benefit to keep a employee / player around when they obviously don't wanna be there. is it wise to invest millions in a person who's most likely just going to mail it in and not give you 100% because they don't wanna be there ?

El Nino
01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
damn, i don't wanna see palmer leave. him leaving would be the first step in the right direction for the bengals.

and why would i want that? :)

LukesDad88
01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
If they divorce, who gets custody of Jordan?

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
i fail to see how it's of any benefit to keep a employee / player around when they obviously don't wanna be there. is it wise to invest millions in a person who's most likely just going to mail it in and not give you 100% because they don't wanna be there ?

If you trade him someone takes on that salary - probably just need to release him

Former Univ. of Georgia great and Bengal David Pollock (who had to retire after a few years in the league due to a broken neck) is on sports talk radio in Atlanta and regularly talks about how cheap and screwed up the Bengals are, with the Palmer mess being the latest episode

steeltheone
01-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Can't blame Palmer...Never win there!

Third Rail
01-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Maybe they will draft Cam Newton.

Yeah, so they can ruin his chances of ever being a successful NFL quarterback too.