PDA

View Full Version : Do you pray for a big game like this or do you feel that's an insult to God

3rdandlong
01-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Thought I'd lighten up the discussion and ask people if they pray that the Lord intervenes In favor of the Steelers (not that I think we can't win this one on our own) or if they feel it's an insult to pray to God to divinely intervene in a football game when he didn't stop the holocaust or any other human catastrophe

steeltheone
01-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Never hurts to pray to Our Good Father!

lionslicer
01-23-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure God doesn't care... When there is a game winning field goal attempt, both teams are down on their knees praying... Like they can out pray each other or something.

Just play football, God has other things to do.

harrison'samonster
01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
it never hurts to pray, but I don't for football games. I don't think it's insulting to God though. I suppose if I thought of it, I would pray that nobody gets really hurt.

fer522
01-23-2011, 02:42 PM
if praying a little will calm me down
than i ll be praying quit a bit :tt03:

Steelboy84
01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Ray Lewis hasn't figured out that no higher power has bearing on a game.

"What God got for ya, it's for ya. And it wasn't for us today".-Ray Lewis

mcg24
01-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't believe in God lol. The theory of prayer is such a mess to me I just don't even try to understand it lol.

NYC_Steeler
01-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I pray all the time that:
1. the Steelers win the Super Bowl every year, and
2. that the Steelers absolutely destroy the Jets in this game to the tune of say 45-10 or something like that.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with praying - you kind of start thinking God is a Steelers fan. ;-)

Goldsteel86
01-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I always pray, pray before I run, before I eat, before I go to bed, pray before I leave the house to go to work, I am in the military so if the "big man" upstairs gives me one more day I am appreciative, oh and I prayed last week during the game, I hope that it worked!

43Hitman
01-23-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure God doesn't care... When there is a game winning field goal attempt, both teams are down on their knees praying... Like they can out pray each other or something.

Pretty much this.

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin on being asked if he prayed for the Colts kicker during our playoff game there the year we won SB 40.

With a laugh "Of course I prayed for him, I also prayed for a bad kick and God took care it."

fer522
01-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin on being asked if he prayed for the Colts kicker during our playoff game there the year we won SB 40.

With a laugh "Of course I prayed for him, I also prayed for a bad kick and God took care it."

nice:tt03:

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 05:03 PM
nice:tt03:
see http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/4328974#pm_cmp=vid_OEV_P_P

The quote is out about 3/4 and a bit more of the way through the video.

I misquoted a bit "Of course I prayed for his well being but I prayed for a bad kick to and obviously God took care of it."

stlrtruck
01-23-2011, 11:31 PM

:thumbsup: Excellent post!

Just to carry through the lighter side of it though. What would He do?

Would He count the number of prayers coming from each fanbase?
Would He take the level of service at the church that each person did?
Would He calculate each sides tithes and offerings?

:toofunny:

To the OP, awesome question to pose to bring in a little bit of humor. The God that I know, He likes to laugh and have fun too.

HAWK
01-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Sorry. I don't pray.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Thought I'd lighten up the discussion and ask people if they pray that the Lord intervenes In favor of the Steelers (not that I think we can't win this one on our own) or if they feel it's an insult to pray to God to divinely intervene in a football game when he didn't stop the holocaust or any other human catastrophe

I don't pray for sports that I watch but that doesn't mean I won't mumble to my self "Please God" in my head hoping that God has decided to have the Steelers win this time. It is more like I am hoping it is God's choice rather than hoping God intervenes.

If I were actually playing, I might pray. Even though people can say everyone has the same God on both sides, I feel like talking to God has helped me with other things in my life so why not?

SouthTexasSteel
01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
As a youth minister, I 100% absolutely believe in God and especially in the power of prayer. But prayer can be a funny and tricky thing. Do I believe that God intervenes for an entire team... nope.. So I don't pray that way. I do believe that praying for the players to play to their fullest potential and to protect them from injuries goes a long way in helping them win. Just sayin'...

P.S. I missed Pouncey this week.... oops..

grward
01-24-2011, 09:51 AM
I always find it odd that a person would pray to change the outcome of a football game when there are children suffering in the world. You can say that it's okay to pray for both, but com'on man ... you pray for those who need prayer. A football player earning millions of dollars certainly does not need prayer, unless you are praying for an injury-free game.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Don't believe in a God. But I pray during games by yelling at the screen when people **** up. :thumbsup:

Quasar
01-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Back in the 1970s, the Steelers had to face the Cowboys twice in the Super Bowl. Both quarterbacks were Christians: Terry Bradshaw, and Roger Staubach. When asked who he thought God would favor in the Super Bowl, Bradshaw replied, "I'm sure the Lord doesn't play favorites in athletic contests."

plenewken
01-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Sorry. I don't pray.

Me neither. We're in 2011, not in 1011. Enuff said.