PDA

View Full Version : Second half letdown,whos to blame???

SoCalFan
01-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Im passing the blame on the coaching staff,letting the fire slip away!:banging:

toughsticks87
01-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Arians. Great first half. Awful second half. I'm still astounded they went for the pass on 3rd and 6. Yes it worked, but really why not run the ball and kill some clock?

MattsMe
01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Is this thread for real?

I think the Jets are to blame. They played too well in the second half.

:coffee:

SteelCityMom
01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't really care right now. We're going to the SuperBowl...let's take a moment to be happy about that! :tt03:

SmashmouthFootball
01-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Arians almost singlehandedly lost us this game.

Also, let Antonio Brown loose on special teams. Let him return punts. Give another dimension to our team as far as big play threats go.

SteelCityMom
01-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Is this thread for real?

^ This.

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't really care right now. We're going to the SuperBowl...let's take a moment to be happy about that! :tt03:
exactly .... :tt03:

SH-Rock
01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Jets! Mad props to Ryan and staff who called a great second half!

GMU Steeler
01-23-2011, 09:02 PM
People have already said it but let's give credit to the Jets here for not giving up. We wanted credit for doing the same against the Ravens last week. And SCMom is right. Let's be happy. We're going back to thje Super Bowl and we have a chance to get our third Super Bowl since 2005. Just think about that. And the fact we'll be the first team ever to win seven superbowls.

Kanata-Steeler
01-23-2011, 09:03 PM
In the 2nd half the, Jets did to us EXACTLY what Brady did to us earlier this year.
We have to learn from this, otherwise the Packers are gonna pack our bags in Dallass.

NYC_Steeler
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Both the offense and defense, as well as the coaching staff - pathetic example of Steelers football in all areas.

davidtrout
Is this thread for real?

Hear Hear!!!!

jjpro11
it was indeed almost an epic collapse.. then again, the Packers almost gave up a 14 point lead to a 3rd string QB.. shit happens i guess.

CargoJon
We do this more frequently than I like - play like world-beaters the first half, and then fail to step on the team's throat in the 2nd half. Reminds me of SB 43 vs. Zona. We damn near lost that one....

theplatypus
01-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Is this thread for real?

Didn't you get the memo? It's Arians' fault. He caused Ike to fall down, he's responsible for ben throwing two interceptions, and the fumbled snap for a safety.

SoCalFan
01-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Im so dam excited we are going to the SUPERBOWL,almost had a heart attack in the process...

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 09:13 PM
We do this more frequently than I like - play like world-beaters the first half, and then fail to step on the team's throat in the 2nd half. Reminds me of SB 43 vs. Zona. We damn near lost that one....

AirHead is incapable of adjusting during the game. The Jets adjusted their defense to stop the run. AirHead the idiot did not adjust to thier changes.

Sixburgher
01-23-2011, 09:22 PM
AirHead is incapable of adjusting during the game. The Jets adjusted their defense to stop the run. AirHead the idiot did not adjust to thier changes.

Was he responsible for the defense going soft too?

SteeleReign
01-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Arians. Great first half. Awful second half. I'm still astounded they went for the pass on 3rd and 6. Yes it worked, but really why not run the ball and kill some clock?

Man. I can't disagree with you more here. I'm SOOOOOOOOO happy we didn't do the predictable 3 runs for 6 yards and a punt. I'm glad that we finally went for the kill and put the game away!! :tt03:

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Was he responsible for the defense going soft too?

Airhead the idiot's failure to anticipate that the Jets would make half time adjustments to stop the run damn near cost us the game. His garbage play calling during the second half forced the D to spend the entire half out there. They got tired and go no break bescaue our O was so ineffective!

Fire the Airhead now!

Sixburgher
01-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Airhead the idiot's failure to anticipate that the Jets would make half time adjustments to stop the run damn near cost us the game. His garbage play calling during the second half forced the D to spend the entire half out there. They got tired and go no break bescaue our O was so ineffective!

Fire the Airhead now!

Yes, that must be why the Jets took the opening possession of the 2nd half and waltzed right down the field for a TD. Whatever.

ZoneBlitzer
01-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Im passing the blame on the coaching staff,letting the fire slip away!:banging:

That's the character of this year's team. It has been happening all year long. They struggle to put teams away. They are not good front-runners. They play better coming from behind.

OX1947
01-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Second half breakdowns were a combo of things. Bad pass by Ben, good execution by the Jets and the Steelers playing it safe. And another fluke play when Ike fell.

Aussie Steeler
01-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Our pass defense got picked apart - remniscent of last time Tom Brady was at Heinz. We played far too conservatively on defense and needed to BLITZ. Every time we put pressure on Sanchez he would fold.
Play-calling by Arians was very poor in the second half as he was still insistent on playing the rush despite minimal gains by Mendy.
Ben really played a great game and kept us in it - although stats show otherwise. One int was on Mendy and the other int was really on the O-line bad protection. It was a long pass anyway, as good as a punt.

SteelKnight
01-23-2011, 09:38 PM

Are you crazy? That 3rd and 6th was the right thing to do. Why? Because he learned from the first Baltimore game. You can't play the whole season then someone puts the ball in you hands and says if you make one first down you go to the Superbowl and you say no...I'm chicken.

Then after the punt, we would have given them the chance they wanted.

It was definitely the right call. >60% completion percentage and if it is complete you go to the Superbowl...why not? Worse comes to worse you give Sanchez a little more time.

Steelboy84
01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I should be hooping and hollering, but I'm already focused on the Packers. lol

FanSince72
01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't see the second half as a letdown at all.

What I saw was a team that realized the Jets made many adjustments, went to a hurry-up and went to man coverage and instead of trying to fight that, just rolled with it.

I mean, a 21 point lead is a lot to play with and Tomlin knew that Ryan was going to pull out all the stops. He had Ben running the ball with an eye ONLY toward safe passes and taking sacks as opposed to incompletions or worse.

He knew that short runs or even sacks eat up clock and that was fine with him. Yes, it got a little dicey after the safety, but even that didn't change the game plan and I'm glad he didn't panic and start asking for big plays.

Granted, it would have been nice to get one more TD, but overall I think he handled things very well.

SteelKnight
01-23-2011, 09:42 PM
One thing is whenever something doesn't go right on the offense it is Arians' fault. If something doesn't go right on the defense it is the player's fault...not Lebeau's. Some of this has to do with execution. Not everything can be Arians' fault.

Had he run on that 3rd and 6, I would have blamed him.

MikeHaullace
01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Is this thread for real?

How did this thread not stop here?

Man... The Jets are a good team. Bottom line.

That Sanchez really can put a ball where it's supposed to be. He's going to be a pretty decent QB for years to come.

Hats off to the Jets. :hatsoff:

Now... As a Steelers fan, I must throw in the obligatory...

LOL! J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK!!! :wink02:

Aussie Steeler
01-23-2011, 09:46 PM

Best call of the game. Ben is as clutch as they come. Most likely, they wouldn't be able to run the ball 6 yards for the first anyway so Ben would have taken the sack and kept the clock moving if he couldn't find anyone open. 6 yards to win the game, or hand the ball over and give them time to win? I know I'd rather have the ball in my hands.

sharkweek
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM

lol, that was one of the few plays I agreed with in the second half

FFS, let Ben, your franchise QB and one of the most clutch QBs in this history of the game make a f***ing play to seal the deal.

At worst, if he can't find a WR open Ben can always tuck and run (a much better chance at converting a 3rd and 6 on a broken pass play with Ben running than calling a running play straight up) or eat a sack which would have been the same thing as calling a running play on a Jets D expecting a run.

In this case our clutch QB made the clutch throw and our rising rookie WR made a catch any WR should make and the game is effectively over barring a miraculous fumble turnover in the victory formation.

VegasStlrFan
01-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Didn't you get the memo? It's Arians' fault. He caused Ike to fall down, he's responsible for ben throwing two interceptions, and the fumbled snap for a safety.

Exactly, the team has to execute. I can excuse the Ike slip and the fumbled snap as a "shit happens", but the O's execution nearly cost this game. We were lucky the jets only had 2 picks, I can think of 3 others that hit a Jets defender in the hands (or the face mask). The D gave up 14pts in the 2nd half, which isn't bad when you consider the O couldn't hold on to the ball more than minute everytime they touched the ball.

JCPsteelers
01-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Arians is a douche but it takes guts to call two pass plays at the end there on 3rd down. We won the game and that is all that matters.

dcbng
01-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Last week the Steelers stunk up the first half, just like the jets did today. The difference is that the Steelers were able to over come a suckass firsthald and come back to win. The jets fell short.

Let the beer continue to flow, and tomorrow the Steelers start to get ready for the Packers.

This journey is not yet compleat.

stlrtruck
01-23-2011, 11:01 PM
The coaches are to blame for the fact they let up and/or allowed the players to play prevent on both sides of the ball. By now you have to know when you've got them in the coffin, nail that biatch shut!

Rick5895
01-24-2011, 03:44 AM
The Jets were very good in the second half, give them some credit. Teams can adjust and it is hard to continue dominance like we had in the 1st half for an entire game.
We just won the AFC championship for crying out loud, there will be enough time for the negativity some of you preach around here, lets enjoy this one for a few days.

Matt91
01-24-2011, 05:13 AM
The Jets had lots of first downs in the game, but remember that they ate lots of minutes away, in my opinion that was a good defensive decision. They had to score 21 points in a half at least, so we gave them room for short passes but not gave them big plays, the real mistake was on Santonio's TD

pittsurghsteelers4life
01-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Yes letz thank God we pulled it out....letz enjoy what the steelers did........SUPER BOWL .....BLACK & YELLOW.

plenewken
01-24-2011, 05:36 AM
How did this thread not stop here?

Man... The Jets are a good team. Bottom line.

That Sanchez really can put a ball where it's supposed to be. He's going to be a pretty decent QB for years to come.

Hats off to the Jets. :hatsoff:

Now... As a Steelers fan, I must throw in the obligatory...

LOL! J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK!!! :wink02:

Did you guys really expect us to lead 24-3 at half-time? Not me. It was very uncharacteristic of the Jets not to stop the run, especially against an average OL. They made the adjustments in the 2nd half and we didn't but I'm not surprised by them coming back. What worries me is that it's becoming a bad habit that we can't play consistently for 60mn, both offensively and defensively.
I hope we learn from it for the SB because Rodgers is not Sanchez.

GO STEELERS!

caseyviator
01-24-2011, 08:29 AM
just think if our d could hang onto the i dunno 4 ints that hit ours hands and were catchable and dropped...even if we caught 2 of them especially the clark one its a different game.

grward
01-24-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm surprised that no one is discussing Maurkice Pouncy. When he went out, our offense held it together for a little while, but not long term. I think there was a huge difference just from the downgrade at center. Add to that the fact that Jets PLAYER THEIR HEARTS OUT in the second half. No way is this Arians or Coaching problems. The 3rd and 6 call to end the game was gutsy and I loved it!!

TRH
01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
in the 3rd quarter, one again, we were playing way back and almost zone (which i completely don't understand as it NEVER works for us), and the Jets were able to move the ball right down the field easily. Be thankful for the goal-line stance and for the Jets not being able to get the ball back at the end.
We started getting after Sanchez a little bit in the 4th....i don't know why we get "off" that type of play. It comes back to bite us every single time.

tube517
01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Is this thread for real?

Yeah, it's not as if we're playing a doormat like the Browns. Give some credit to the Jets for making adjustments.

Super Bowl bound yet again!

dcbng
01-24-2011, 09:55 AM
I have been getting some crap about the Steelers 'almost' choking. So, my official response is now: The Steelers were able score enough points in 30 minutes to win a 60 minute game,

Steelerfreak58
01-24-2011, 11:14 AM
What would that game have looked like if the coaches would have actually coached a decent game for 60 minutes. Seems like whenever we get a two TD lead they fall back to a passive RUN RUN PASS offense, and the D sits back on its heals. That first half of football was phenomenal the second half was like another team took the field.

I am used to it by now I just would love to see the coaches keep their foot on the throttle for once and slam the doors shut without the edge of the seat roller coaster ride that it always ends up being! LOL

Anyways... SUPER BOWL BOUND BABY!:tt04:

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Let’s take a look at some realities…

Everybody knows about the 70’s Steeler legend and we’ve all seen the highlight reels and we know the storied history of the Pittsburgh Dallas SB games. But take a hard look at both of those games and you’ll see two games that are remarkably similar to the game we just won.

SB X: Cowboys are up 10-7 at the half, there’s no scoring by either team in the third quarter and we score two TD’s to Dallas’ one in the fourth and have to withstand a fierce rally by Dallas to secure the win.

SB III: We take a 21 –14 halftime lead and that shrinks to 21-17 in the third quarter and both we and Dallas score two TD’s in the fourth quarter and we win by 4, 35-31.

There were “letdowns” by us in both of those games and if not for a good bounce or a timely pick, we could have easily lost either or both of them.

But Thirty-plus years later when fans talk about those games, they seem to think that we completely dominated them or they leave out the parts where we bogged down, or trailed, or fumbled, or missed FG’s, etc.

The point is that there ARE no perfect games and the bottom line in championships is that it’s the team that hangs on – the one that withstands the rallies and the onslaught is the one that comes out on top. Blowouts are rare as are “perfect” games and what we all saw against the Jets was – even by our storied standards – just about business as usual.

So stop complaining about “stats” and “letdowns” and just enjoy the ride to a record tying 8th Super Bowl appearance and the chance for an unprecedented Seventh Win!

Winning is a good thing, remember?

Curtain_of_Steel
01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Arians?

Defense went into prevent on the Jets last drive and gave them a field goal. Showed them there is life still out there. IF they clamped down like the rest of the 1st half and didnt bend, JETS would've been further down on themselves with no light at the end of the tunnel.

But is typically steeler fashion, we go prevtn and give up something.

Arians couldnt combat the JETS Def attack in the 2nd half. You have a qb that played well enough to keep us in the game, and provide bad field position for the jets. But you just cant go from a run game to a pas game 90 minutes later and expect Ben to light it up in zero degree weather. No flow etc.

There was no way we were gonna run on the jets all game like the first Q. ryan would adjust and he did.

UF-Steeler
01-24-2011, 12:22 PM
I thought the game plan was fine. They play what they preach. The standard is the standard. They stuck guys in and still got some really great production. Pouncey going down slowed us in the second half and it would've been nice to see Redman mixed in more to keep Mendy fresh.

This team is super resilient and I think their AFC championship win shows how resilient they are. They were extremely passive in the second half but they knew they were eating time off the clock by allowing short passes and runs. It was an overall safe and good strategy.

In this generation and time of immediate gratification we all wanted to see our Steelers crush the competition and continue to score so we could easily end the game. Steelers rarely ever do that, especially against great teams.

Jets played really well and scared us a bit, but I'm so happy we're going to the Superbowl. Literally made my next two weeks.

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I thought the game plan was fine. They play what they preach. The standard is the standard. They stuck guys in and still got some really great production. Pouncey going down slowed us in the second half and it would've been nice to see Redman mixed in more to keep Mendy fresh.

This team is super resilient and I think their AFC championship win shows how resilient they are. They were extremely passive in the second half but they knew they were eating time off the clock by allowing short passes and runs. It was an overall safe and good strategy.

In this generation and time of immediate gratification we all wanted to see our Steelers crush the competition and continue to score so we could easily end the game. Steelers rarely ever do that, especially against great teams.

Jets played really well and scared us a bit, but I'm so happy we're going to the Superbowl. Literally made my next two weeks.

I vote to have this post framed, signed and auctioned on E-bay!

Well Done!

OX1947
01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Steelers have turned in to the Lakers. They have to make you have a heart attack before they win. Hey, as long as they win. My heart will have to deal with it...AS LONG AS THEY WIN.

Sleeper/54
01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
I hate "Prevent Defence" .... and why is it that the best coaches are the ones sitting in the stands (or watching on TV) ????

fer522
01-24-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't really care right now. We're going to the SuperBowl...let's take a moment to be happy about that!

what she said :wink02:

Steelrule
01-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Looked to me like on both sides of the ball, save for a few plays at the end, we played "not to lose," rather than playing to win. Can't do that against Green Bay. Play all 60 like the first 30 and we should be good to go.

KitsapSteve
01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Why is there someone to blame;; we spotted the Jets 24 and said if you want to beat us,, match it while holding us scoreless... They didnt catch up...we win ,, minimal injuries...its a W folks and we are in the dance...freakin Monday Morning QB's,,, and screw Deion and Bens Stats,, like I care about QB ratings its a W....

KitsapSteve
01-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I agree

QUOTE=FanSince72;906129]Let’s take a look at some realities…

Everybody knows about the 70’s Steeler legend and we’ve all seen the highlight reels and we know the storied history of the Pittsburgh Dallas SB games. But take a hard look at both of those games and you’ll see two games that are remarkably similar to the game we just won.

SB X: Cowboys are up 10-7 at the half, there’s no scoring by either team in the third quarter and we score two TD’s to Dallas’ one in the fourth and have to withstand a fierce rally by Dallas to secure the win.

SB III: We take a 21 –14 halftime lead and that shrinks to 21-17 in the third quarter and both we and Dallas score two TD’s in the fourth quarter and we win by 4, 35-31.

There were “letdowns” by us in both of those games and if not for a good bounce or a timely pick, we could have easily lost either or both of them.

But Thirty-plus years later when fans talk about those games, they seem to think that we completely dominated them or they leave out the parts where we bogged down, or trailed, or fumbled, or missed FG’s, etc.

The point is that there ARE no perfect games and the bottom line in championships is that it’s the team that hangs on – the one that withstands the rallies and the onslaught is the one that comes out on top. Blowouts are rare as are “perfect” games and what we all saw against the Jets was – even by our storied standards – just about business as usual.

So stop complaining about “stats” and “letdowns” and just enjoy the ride to a record tying 8th Super Bowl appearance and the chance for an unprecedented Seventh Win!

Winning is a good thing, remember?[/QUOTE]