PDA

View Full Version : Dallas "Welcome Wagon" for SB Visitors

caseydog
01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
I've been a Steelers fan since a kid, and I've lived in Dallas for about 30 years. I just want to wish anyone coming down here for the Super Bowl a warm welcome, like the one I got when I came to Pittsburgh to watch Super Bowl XLIII.

If there are any questions I can answer, or advice I can share with Steelers fans coming to Dallas for the big game, I'd be most happy to help out.

I just set up a gmail account, that I will kill after the Super Bowl. The address is cdsuperbowldallas@gmail.com. I'll try to check that email address a few times a day, and answer your questions about coming to Dallas for the Super Bowl.

I will be adding information on events and parties to this thread as I get them, and others are adding them, too. Check back regularly to see what's new.

CD

SteelCityMom
01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Great idea for a thread...I'm going to go ahead and sticky it for you. Thanks for helping! :drink:

caseydog
01-23-2011, 10:26 PM
I hope I don't regret this. LOL

But seriously, if anyone is coming to Dallas, I'll do what I can to help make it a good trip.

I'll try to come up with a FAQ to post on this thread by tomorrow. Airport/rental car tips, etc.

I really think you will find that you are not flying into hostile territory. It's going to be a PITA in some respects, because it is a huge event, but Dallas folks are really pretty nice people. Just be patient with them, because this event is going to be a major inconvenience for people living near Cowgirls Stadium.

CD

tony hipchest
01-23-2011, 10:27 PM
is it true that all cowboys fans screw sheep down there, and they wear loose boots to stick the sheeps feet and ankles in?

caseydog
01-23-2011, 10:42 PM
A lot of my friends are Cowboys fans, and most of them are pretty normal. I keep an eye on a few of them.

CD

tony hipchest
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM
lol... mine too, and i keep an eye on them as well, especially when im wearing white and my back is turned to those goat****ers. :chuckle:

tube517
01-24-2011, 08:12 AM
is it true that all cowboys fans screw sheep down there, and they wear loose boots to stick the sheeps feet and ankles in?
:rofl:

wnyBob
01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
And I lived there for 12 years until 2009. I'll not make up an email address but if I can offer any insight I'd be happy to also. I am from Westeren PA and drove that trip a gazillion times in 12 years, so particularly if anyone is inclined to drive for a mini vacation I have good insight for that and times to plan on entering the metroplex and times to NOT plan on entering the metroplex from the East if driving. It's an easy drive but long, approx 17 hours from the burg probably. As a central point, use Columbus OH and it's 16 hours from Columbus. We lived a little North of Arlington between Dallas and Ft. Worth near the DFW airport. Ft. Worth is pretty easy to get around in even if you're flying and renting a car. I would rather go to the dentist than drive in Dallas lol. And Arlington will be insane on game day or any day during rush. I'd look for shuttles rather than take a vehicle to the game.

Anything else?

bigbenz
01-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Love the Ben pic with the CHEESE...
Hey whats the parking like in the big D?

wnyBob
01-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Love the Ben pic with the CHEESE...
Hey whats the parking like in the big D?

Parking for? The game? Or to have your own car or a rental car for doing the tourist thing other than the game?

I'm pretty sure I read the Steelers HQ is in Ft. Worth and the Packer's HQ is in Dallas. The game of course is in Arlington which is between the two.

There is quite the competition for name recongnition and business between Dallas and Ft. Worth, so I'm sure using both cities for each team was a negotiated and planned deal. As well as you'll notice that the new Jerry Jones palace uses the name "Arlington" which is where it is located. Arlington probably pitched a fit when Jones may have wanted to name it either after the team "Dallas Cowboys" or like the old stadium "Texas Stadium". Arlington probably negotiated getting to use their name since it is located there and told Jerry it's Arlington or look for another site. lol Because the old Texas Stadium or Cowboys stadium wasn't in Dallas it was in Irving and Irving got slighted out of a lot of name recognition for that.

I'd seriously consider some shuttle or taxie or whatever for game parking. It will be nuts. There is just a LOT of traffic on top of event traffic. For tourist stuff, there is adequate parking generally to be found. pay of course. Ft. Worth is easier to get around in than Dallas, traffic wise. Getting to the Historic Stock Yards for instance is easy in Ft. Worth. It's just for out touring around in a car, I'd avoid having to be on the major routes after 4:00 PM and before say 6:30 - 7:00 PM like the plague. Unless you like sitting at idle for countless times.

caseydog
01-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Okay, I have a few questions by email about where to go to watch the game.

The stadium itself is in Arlington, about halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth. It is a sprawling suburb full of the major chain restaurants and sports bars. At this point, I don't know which ones will have the most Steelers fans. I'll try to snoop around and see what I can find out. But, basically, Arlington is a mega-suburb, so it will have all the same restaurant/bar names you find in every other suburb, plus a few local chains.

I don't go to Arlington very often, so I'll have to do a little digging to see what's there these days.

There are a lot of places close to the stadiums -- like in Pittsburgh, the Cowboys and Rangers stadiums are side by side.

Not far from Arlington, and closer to Dallas, is Las Colinas. There are some really nice clubs, restaurants and sports bars in that part of town. Plenty of hotels, too. And, Las Colinas is a very easy drive from and to DFW Airport.

If you prefer a more urban experience, Uptown Dallas is the current "cool" place to live and party. Starting at McKinney Ave, and going North, you have top-notch hotels, restaurants and bar/grills. Uptown should be jumping.

Deep Ellum, on the East side of Downtown is more "rustic." That's where you will find the hole-in-the-wall places. You would probably stay in a downtown hotel, and walk to Deep Ellum.

West End Marketplace, which is the Western edge of Downtown, is the touristy part of Dallas, but there should be some good watching parties there. Most people will probably NOT be from Dallas in the West End Marketplace.

There is a trolley that connects the West End Marketplace with the McKinney Ave section of town. So, if you get a room along McKinney Ave/Uptown, you should be able to get around without a car.

The hotels along McKinney Ave/Uptown are not cheap, but they are nice.

Just North of the West End Marketplace is the Victory Park area, anchored by American Airlines Center, where the Mavericks and the Stars play. The W-Hotel is there, and the Ghost Bar is one of the places where the elite hang out. I've been there, but not on my dime. It has a glass balcony 50 or so stories off the ground. Victory Park is all new within the last ten years.

I have a feeling that the Gaylord Texan will be packed with out of town fans. It is a huge hotel complex, a sports bar, a Tex-Mex cantina, and a REALLY cool nightclub called the Glass Cactus -- all will be showing the game, and the Glass Cactus is doing an after party, too. The Gaylord is just North of the Airport, and is a good option for people who don't want to drive in Dallas.

Another popular area is Addison/Galeria area. It is in North Dallas. As hotel rooms fill up, if you have to move farther from downtown, this area is an option. I have heard about two Steelers bars up there, Malarkey's Tavern and Stadium Cafe, but have not been to either one, so I can not verify how "Steelers" they really are.

Austin Avenue Grill & Sports Bar in Plano is supposed to be a Steelers bar, but for God's sake, don't fly to Dallas to watch the game in Plano. It is a really boring bedroom community. You may as well stay home.

I hope this helps, a little.

caseydog
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Oh, I forgot Fort Worth. LOL

Fort Worth is a smaller city. The main area for Super Bowl parties will no doubt be the Stockyards area. Billy Bob's Texas is a HUGE club, that I would expect to be packed with Super Bowl fans.

CD

caseydog
01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Parking for? The game? Or to have your own car or a rental car for doing the tourist thing other than the game?

I'm pretty sure I read the Steelers HQ is in Ft. Worth and the Packer's HQ is in Dallas. The game of course is in Arlington which is between the two.

There is quite the competition for name recongnition and business between Dallas and Ft. Worth, so I'm sure using both cities for each team was a negotiated and planned deal. As well as you'll notice that the new Jerry Jones palace uses the name "Arlington" which is where it is located. Arlington probably pitched a fit when Jones may have wanted to name it either after the team "Dallas Cowboys" or like the old stadium "Texas Stadium". Arlington probably negotiated getting to use their name since it is located there and told Jerry it's Arlington or look for another site. lol Because the old Texas Stadium or Cowboys stadium wasn't in Dallas it was in Irving and Irving got slighted out of a lot of name recognition for that.

I'd seriously consider some shuttle or taxie or whatever for game parking. It will be nuts. There is just a LOT of traffic on top of event traffic. For tourist stuff, there is adequate parking generally to be found. pay of course. Ft. Worth is easier to get around in than Dallas, traffic wise. Getting to the Historic Stock Yards for instance is easy in Ft. Worth. It's just for out touring around in a car, I'd avoid having to be on the major routes after 4:00 PM and before say 6:30 - 7:00 PM like the plague. Unless you like sitting at idle for countless times.

Yes, Fort Worth is hosting the Steelers.

If you are going to the game, Parking at the stadium is going to take a while, so start out early. If you can take a shuttle bus, do it. Driving on Hyw 360 or I-30 on Sunday will be horrendous, so I'd avoid those roads, if possible.

Parking at clubs and restaurants in Arlington should not be TOO bad, but you may have to park some distance away, and walk a bit to your destination.

Most of Arlington is wide open and flat as a pancake, so there is room for big parking lots. The closer you are to the stadium, the worse traffic will be, and the tougher it will be to park.

Parking downtown in Dallas is like parking in any other city, you will pay for it, and it will probably fill up, so start early. Prices will probably be jacked up, too.

I can almost guarantee there will be a taxi shortage on gameday, so don't count on getting a taxi without waiting.

CD

caseydog
01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Drinking in the Bible Belt

Oh, this is going to trip a few people up. Here in Southern Baptist country, there are a whole lot of things a drinking man needs to know. We have wet areas, dry areas, and semi wet-dry areas. And, if you don't know what's what, it can drive you nuts.

There are only a very few places in the DFW area where you can find a liquor store. So if you want to buy a bottle of Scotch for the game, it will not be a walk to the corner to get it. Google "liquor stores Arlington" or "liquor stores Dallas" and you should get a Google Map with the stores flagged.

There are more areas where you can find beer and wine at retail. Many of the suburbs now allow you to buy beer and wine at retail, which you can find in most grocery stores and convenience stores in those towns. In the city of Dallas, some neighborhoods allow beer/wine sales, but many don't.

You can NOT but ANY kind of alcoholic beverage at retail between midnight and noon on Sunday. So, make your plans around that.

Most of the DFW area allows you to buy liquor, beer and wine by the drink at restaurants, although you may need a "membership," or a "Unicard" which will typically be free, or cost next to nothing. It's a technicality. Just roll with it.

Other areas just need to see and/or scan your ID. And, they take that seriously. DO NOT FORGET YOUR ID, OR YOU AIN'T DRINKING! The drinking age is 21.

DWI in Texas is .08, and the cost of a DWI here is heavy duty. The cops will be out in force, and they will be looking for drunk drivers.

strangebrew13
01-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Another Dallas-based Steelers fan here with my 2 cents.

Sundance Square in the heart of downtown Ft. Worth should be a great option for many Steelers fans staying in Cowtown. There are many options here and it can all be easily and safely walked. The Flying Saucer is always a good time if you are more of a beer drinker, while Mi Cocina has very good Mexican food and their Mambo Limousine/Taxi frozen drinks are lethal if you are into that sort of thing. However, if you are headed to the Stockyards/Billy Bob's both Esparanza's and Joe T. Garcia's are the more traditional Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants. Hard to go wrong here.

Knox/Henderson is another spot with a nice collection of bars and restaurants. It is a bit detached from Uptown, but still pretty close and provides some different options. Being an 80's kid, Barcadia is naturally my favorite spot on Knox/Henderson. Think arcade meets trendy-ish dive bar. The giant-size Jenga they have on the patio is a great bit if you can commandeer it. Also, there are a number of very good, reasonably cheap brunches in the area if you are wanting to load up the morning of the big game. There is also a spot right next door named Louie's that only opens up at night and was featured on the Diners, Drive-In's and Dives. People swear by their pizza although I have never had it.

If you do make it to the West End and are looking to kill some time, the Dallas Aquarium is surprisingly good. The Book Depository Building is also very close to here.

If you are in the Victory Park area, I would save your dough and head a few blocks away (towards Uptown) and drop in at the Stoneleigh P instead. Much cheaper and more laid-back but also with decent burgers. This is my standard stop before heading to a Dallas Stars game.

If you stop by the NFL Experience at the NFL convention center and afterward are looking to have a drink and kill some time, head down the road to Lee Harvey's. It is a mostly outdoor bar which is great if the weather is nice, but if it is on the colder side they also have furnaces strewn about in the yard. Good food, strong drinks, fairly unique environment for Dallas.

There are very few reasons to go outside of the 635 loop for a visitor unless you were wanting to go shopping at the Galleria, unless you absolutely must see the extremely lame and totally underwhelming Southfork Ranch.

Here we go Steelers! :tt03:

caseydog
01-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Good tips, strangebrew.

I have been to the Flying Saucer in Addison many times, and they have hundreds of beers on their menu. Same goes for the one in Fort Worth, I'm sure. Another beer heaven is The Gingerman in Uptown, just a few blocks of McKinney Ave. Both the Fling Saucer and The Gingerman have hundreds of beers, most of them on tap.

MiCocina is a DFW chain that serves modern TexMex, and it is very good. The MondoTaxi (correct name) is sort of a version of a swirl that will knock you on your arse. They have locations all over DFW, including Uptown and Sundance Square.

Joe T. Garcias is old school TexMex, but is hard to get into on a normal weekend, so expect to wait a long time for a table.

The food to eat at least once in DFW is TexMex. We have a lot of good places to get it. The frozen Margarita was invented here by Mariano Martinez, who owns the La Hacienda Ranch chain of restaurants, and that's where I go for TexMex.

For REAL mexican cuisine, try Javier's in Dallas. It is not what you expect when you think of Mexican food. You will need a reservation, and the price is higher than TexMex.

The Stoneleigh P is good for burgers, as is Snookies, also in Oak Lawn. Good Eats Cafe in Oak Lawn has a good Chicken Fried Steak, another Texas classic. The Oak Lawn area is just North of the Uptown and McKinney Ave. neighborhoods.

FrancoForever
01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I can't believe all the parties and events that are happening during Super Bowl week. Anyone know of good ways to figure out which parties to go to? Everything seems so expensive. I found this Twitter feed which is really good - @supersundayhq - but that is it so far.

FrancoForever
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Anyone know about any good parties or events taking place in the Dallas area during Super Bowl week? I heard that there are all these amazing parties that draw celebs, athletes and VIPs but are expensive and hard to get into. Apparently, Diddy is putting on a bunch of parties and there are good concerts.

Kid Rock is playing at something called the Pepsi Fan Jam and Prince is in concert. My buddy told me that a lot of them are invite only and could be expensive. I found one site that has a good listing of the parties but really need more info. That site is www.supersundayhq.com. They seem legit and at least there are not some shady ticket broker. Open to ideas............

MikeHaullace
01-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Sort of a big deal. (http://www.aces-angels.org/)

SteelCityMom
01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Sort of a big deal. (http://www.aces-angels.org/)

Phil Hellmuth in the house! The douche factor of that party just went up 100%. :chuckle:

MikeHaullace
01-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Phil Hellmuth in the house! The douche factor of that party just went up 100%. :chuckle:

I'd stalk Sammy Farha all night. Direct my conversation to other people and find ways to squeeze in "I'm just bluffin'." repeatedly while standing in earshot to him. I bet dude would snap.

SteelMontour
01-25-2011, 07:07 AM
In Tampa 2 years ago there was an awesome Steeler Nation Tailgate, along with a DVE party next to it. Just down a block or so from the stadium. It was put together very well. Anyone know if anything like that is in the works for Dallas SB? Let me tell you, we had so much fun we almost dumped our tickets and stayed. Good time!!

clefgo
01-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Hello,

Have they set-up any Steeler hang out places? Anyone set up parties for Steeler fans yet?

Is there a website that would have this information?

Thanks.

BlackNGoldBearer
01-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Hey guys, if you're in Fort Worth, go to Woody's Tavern to watch the game. It's where the Fort Worth Steeler Nation meets to watch the games. It's one of the best sports bars to watch a game IMO. Other than that, I appreciate all of the previous suggestions as well. Thanks! Go Stillers!!!!!! Here we go!

Address: 4744 Bryant Irvin Road, Fort Worth, TX 76132

Here's a link to Ft. Worth Steeler Nation website: www.fortworthsteelers.com

caseydog
01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Q: Is there a subway or train system we could use to get around from Irving to Dallas or anywhere else?

Dallas has a pretty bad mass transit system, and not all the suburbs participate. It is mostly busses. There is some light rail, but that is commuter oriented, and won't help you much.

The Trinity Railway Express links downtown Fort Worth, downtown Dallas and DFW Airport. Scheduled train service is provided Monday through Saturday. Usually, no service is available on Sunday, but TRE has a special Super Bowl program. Read about it here... http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/Resources/TREhandout_web.pdf

Here are links to DART and the Trinity Railway...

http://www.dart.org/

http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/

There is the trolley connecting the West End Marketplace with the McKinney Ave. area, and Las Colinas has it's own little rail system that mostly connects office buildings.

Taxis are probably going to at a shortage for this big event. Plus, since DFW is so spread out, using taxis could get expensive. Taxis are fine if you were staying in downtown dallas and just wanted to hop around to Uptown or the West End, but if you wanted to go from Dallas to the Fort Worth Stockyards, it would be an outrageous taxi fare.

Dallas is basically a "car town." Everyone drives, and you will be surprised by how many large pickups and SUVs you see here. I wish we had better mass transit, but there is just not enough public demand for it -- yet.

caseydog
01-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Hey guys, if you're in Fort Worth, go to Woody's Tavern to watch the game. It's where the Fort Worth Steeler Nation meets to watch the games. It's one of the best sports bars to watch a game IMO. Other than that, I appreciate all of the previous suggestions as well. Thanks! Go Stillers!!!!!! Here we go!

Address: 4744 Bryant Irvin Road, Fort Worth, TX 76132

Here's a link to Ft. Worth Steeler Nation website: www.fortworthsteelers.com

Hey, thanks for the Fort Worth information. Keep it up. I don't get over to "Cowtown" very often, so it would be nice to have a Fort Worth resident assist with this thread.

CD

caseydog
01-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Okay, I am calling some of my media contacts that might know about the celebrity parties, here's what I have, so far...

Tim Miller, Editor of Grand Luxe Magazine gave me a few tips.

1. An Event at Club Zaza at the Zaza Hotel called Leather and Laces. Zaza is one of the McKinney Ave hotels. Pricey, but very cool. http://www.leatherandlaces.com/

2. Pamela Anderson is hosting a "SuperBash" at FIG (Fashion Industry Gallery) in Dallas. http://www.dallassuperbash.com/venue/

The Prince Concert is being held in a giant tent in Dallas benefiting The Goss-Michael Foundation. It will be at a location formerly known as Reunion Arena (The old Mavs/Stars arena that was torn down). That's on the West End of Downtown Dallas. “Single Ticket $1500 Contribution” includes general admission, open bar and food stations.“VIP Nest for Six $12,000 Contribution” includes VIP admission, reserved lounge style seating for six, dedicated server for drinks and food. “Head Table for Ten $25,000 Contribution” includes VIP admission, plush stage side seating for 10 and dedicated server for food and bottle service. Tune in to Twitter.com/theEventDallas if you want to try to get in. LOL

Tim Miller also tells me that there will be a "tent city" outside Cowboys Stadium set up to watch the game. Tickets are $200 per person. Jerry Jones wants to beat the all-time attendance record, and apparently tents on the property count towards attendance. Tickets are first-come, first served, with priority going to Cowboys Season Ticket holders.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/01/12/2765001/super-bowl-organizers-set-sights.html

I'm working to reach another friend, Timm Mathews, former TV Sports guy in Dallas who now is Editor of Scoreboard Monthly. I'll pass on any new information as I get it.

CD

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Anyone know about any good parties or events taking place in the Dallas area during Super Bowl week? I heard that there are all these amazing parties that draw celebs, athletes and VIPs but are expensive and hard to get into. Apparently, Diddy is putting on a bunch of parties and there are good concerts.

Kid Rock is playing at something called the Pepsi Fan Jam and Prince is in concert. My buddy told me that a lot of them are invite only and could be expensive. I found one site that has a good listing of the parties but really need more info. That site is www.supersundayhq.com. They seem legit and at least there are not some shady ticket broker. Open to ideas............

I wonder how you heard about this site. :chuckle:

It's not like your e-mail isn't @supersundayhq.com or anything lol.

I don't mind you trying to pimp the parties or anything, but it wasn't really necessary to try to cover it up like that. I mean, you sort of did make it obvious when all your posts are in reference to the link. :chuckle:

Carry on.

caseydog
01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
That Pepsi FanJam is going to be on Thursday, Feb 3 at 7:00p at Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie.

Grand Prairie is next to Arlington. This venue used to be the Nokia Theater. It really is a good concert venue. It is on the small side, with good seating and good sound in pretty much any seat. Other than that, and there is a nice horse racing track there, I can't think of anything good to say about Grand Prairie.

Kid rock is the headliner, with... Duran Duran.

The theater really is a good concert venue, in spite of where it is located.

http://verizontheatre.com/events/eventdetail.php?id=30453

CD

caseydog
01-25-2011, 10:01 PM
In Tampa 2 years ago there was an awesome Steeler Nation Tailgate, along with a DVE party next to it. Just down a block or so from the stadium. It was put together very well. Anyone know if anything like that is in the works for Dallas SB? Let me tell you, we had so much fun we almost dumped our tickets and stayed. Good time!!

I have received multiple emails about tailgate parties. I am looking hard to find an organized Steelers Tailgate party at the stadium. No luck yet. But, I know there will be some tailgaters at the game.

If anyone is coming to town that wants to do a tailgate, email me. I'll do what I can to help you pull it off. cdsuperbowldallas@gmail.com

Jerry doesn't prohibit those.. yet. If he can figure out a way to make money off of it, he will.

CD

caseydog
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
More Events...

Cirque Du Soleil - Ovo is in town from 1/28 to 2/27. It is not a Super Bowl Event, but it is something cool to do. That is in Frisco, North of Dallas (where I live).

XLV Party at Cowboys Stadium. First night: The Village People, Duran Duran, T.a.T.u. Lena Katina, DJ Hector Fonseca, New York's Lady Bunny and Cazwell, DJ Inferno (Madona's DJ), and Host Steve Kimble. Second night:DJ Kaskade, Passion Pit, Lance Herbstrong, Space Rockers. $150 per ticket. www.xlvparty.com

Timm Mathews of Scoreboard Monthly sent me a link to this website, www.northtexassuperbowl.com, and there is a pretty good calendar on that site. Here is SB Week.... http://www.northtexassuperbowl.com/event/2011-02

caseydog
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
In Fort Worth...

Host City of the AFC Champions Pittsburgh Steelers - Fort Worth has been designated the Host City of the AFC Champions Pittsburgh Steelers. The team will stay at the Omni Fort Worth Hotel and practice at Texas Christian University.

In addition, on Saturday, February 5, Fort Worth will also host Taste of the NFL at the Fort Worth Convention Center. This fundraiser features chefs from every NFL city and benefits food banks across the U.S.

ESPN Live from Fort Worth's Sundance Square - Starting January 31, ESPN television coverage, as well as ESPN Radio shows, and other related content across ESPN's multimedia platforms will be based out of Sundance Square. Located at the intersection of 4th and Main in front of Fort Worth's Chisholm Trail Mural, this will be a great spot to see lots of famous broadcasters and sports legends in town for the Super Bowl.

The Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo - Celebrating its 115th anniversary in 2011, this legendary annual event, held at Will Rogers Memorial Center in the Fort Worth Cultural District January 14 - February 5, is the oldest continuously running livestock show in the nation. It showcases over 22,000 livestock and features activities such as professional bull riding, live rodeo, carnival rides, livestock appreciation day and much more.

Acy18
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM
If you want some authentic Texas BBQ give Angelo's BBQ a try in Fort Worth. They are located on 2533 White Settlement road - about a couple of miles from where the Steelers are staying. Angelo's has good brisket and ribs and as always schooners of cold beer and margaritas. If you want something stronger you can alwasy bring your own bottle of your favorite beverage. They people are really friendly and always aim to please.

On tailgating supplies (adult beverages), Arlington doesn't have any liquor stores so your best bet is Fort Worth or Dallas for liquor, and you have to buy it on Saturday - liquor stores aren't open on Sunday in Texas.

steelintx
01-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Ft. Worth is looking like the place for Steeler Fans from all accounts. There is talk of a "pep rally/tailgate" in Sundance Square at Noon on Sun. Of course Dallas, Addison and everywhere in between will still be good for Steeler Nation

plowenstein
01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I am looking for Steelers tailgate parties in Texas for the Super Bowl. Anyone having any? know of any?

thank you

caseydog
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
If you want some authentic Texas BBQ give Angelo's BBQ a try in Fort Worth. They are located on 2533 White Settlement road - about a couple of miles from where the Steelers are staying. Angelo's has good brisket and ribs and as always schooners of cold beer and margaritas. If you want something stronger you can alwasy bring your own bottle of your favorite beverage. They people are really friendly and always aim to please.

On tailgating supplies (adult beverages), Arlington doesn't have any liquor stores so your best bet is Fort Worth or Dallas for liquor, and you have to buy it on Saturday - liquor stores aren't open on Sunday in Texas.

I think there are a few Liquor Sores in South Arlington, down towards Pentego. But, I'm not sure. If there are, they will not be convenient to most folks.

As for Angelo's, I have not been there. I will say that DFW is not the best metropolitan area for BBQ. My own personal favorite BBQ place in Dallas is my own backyard. The Texas Hill Country around Austin is BBQ heaven.

You can find good TexMex at several places in DFW, as mentioned earlier. That's what I recommend everyone eat at least once while in DFW.

CD

caseydog
01-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Need a place to stay and tickets to the game? Check this out...

http://www.socialwhirl.com/Photos/SixthOfMay/SuperBowlEmail/SuperBowl.pdf

caseydog
01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Ft. Worth is looking like the place for Steeler Fans from all accounts. There is talk of a "pep rally/tailgate" in Sundance Square at Noon on Sun. Of course Dallas, Addison and everywhere in between will still be good for Steeler Nation

You may be right about Fort Worth. They are the host city for the Steelers, so there may very well be more Steeler-centered action over there.

I know more about Dallas than Fort Worth, so hopefully the Fort Worth forum members will help me out with the dispensing of information.

CD

Acy18
01-27-2011, 04:17 PM
I think there are a few Liquor Sores in South Arlington, down towards Pentego. But, I'm not sure. If there are, they will not be convenient to most folks.

As for Angelo's, I have not been there. I will say that DFW is not the best metropolitan area for BBQ. My own personal favorite BBQ place in Dallas is my own backyard. The Texas Hill Country around Austin is BBQ heaven.

You can find good TexMex at several places in DFW, as mentioned earlier. That's what I recommend everyone eat at least once while in DFW.

CD

I am right there with you on the my backyard being the best BBQ, but Angelo's is pretty good especially on Friday's. You can expect a crowd on Friday before the game especially with Stock Show still going on.

I think the liquor stores in Arlington you are thinking about are techincally in Fort Worth city limits off of Division (HWY 180) or Pioneer Parkway. There are quite a few package stores in Fort Worth right off I-30 and Eastchase Parkway, which is only a couple of exits before the stadium exit.

I drove around the stadium at lunch and most to almost all of the typical Official Cowboys Stadium parking is being overtaken by Sponsor tents so parking will probably be an issue becasue it is already a pain to park at the Stadium for other events. That being said, Lincoln Square Strip Mall (on the corner of I-30 and Collins St. about a mile from the Stadium) is offering free parking with $75 worth of purchases at the strip mall and shuttle service for $10 a person. Just display your reciept in the windshield is what I read online. In the strip mall is Sherlock's Pub, which I imagine will be overtaken by the Steeler Nation on Sunday (might be easiest place to run up a $75 bill quickly for free parking).

BlackNGoldBearer
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Looks like Fort Worth for Steelers fans is definitely the place to be if you don't have tickets for the game.

Sundance Sqaure in down town Ft. Worth is where the tailgate/countdown is gonna happen.

As well, on Saturday there's a free event that ESPN is hosting, with interactive games, etc... - The Next Big Tailgate.

Here's a link for info:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/01/26/the-party-buzz-next-big-tailgate/#comments

Double yoi!

BlackNGoldBearer
01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Additionally, you know by now that the Steelers and their families have booked the OMNI Hotel Fort Worth. What you might not know is that the first floor will be open for public.

"That means there's a chance you could spot your favorite Steeler dining at one of the five restaurants."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/ESPN-Steelers-Move-Into-Cowtown-114490119.html

BlackNGoldBearer
01-28-2011, 11:06 AM
As well, here's the official site for the North Texas Super Bowl Committee which includes an event calendar and a lot of information:

http://www.northtexassuperbowl.com/

MeanGreenSteeler
01-28-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm also a long time Steeler fan who has lived in the DFW area for over 30 years. Welcome Steeler Nation!

There is a Dallas Steeler Fan group that will be organizing several activities:

http://www.dallassteelerfans.com/

And, Gordon Biersch at Park Lane and Northwest Highway in Dallas has a small group of loyal Steeler fans that gather in the bar area every week to watch the games.

Here are two links with lists of what is happening in the area next week:

http://www.dfw.com/superbowl/

http://listings.guidelive.com/search?commit=Search&new=n&search=true&srad=50&srss=50&ssi=0&st=event&st_select=event&svt=text&swhat=superbowl45&swhen=&swhere=Dallas%2CTX&sort=1

If you want good barbeque, Hard Eight is north of DFW airport in Coppell:

http://www.hardeightbbq.com

Opening next week is the Lockhart Smokehouse, owned by folks from central Texas who really know barbeque. They promise to be open for Super Bowl weekend. It's in south Dallas in the Bishop Arts District:

http://www.lockhartsmokehouse.com/index.html

I really do not like Cooper's BBQ in the Ft. Worth Stockyards, but they stay open so it must appeal to some folks.

If you are going to the Fort Worth Stock Show, another Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives place close by is Fred's Texas Cafe (and I love Louie's in Dallas for pizza):

http://www.fredstexascafe.com/

With regard to mass transit--there is none in Arlington. Hard to believe for a city of over 375,000 people (49th in the country), but it's a sad fact.

Enjoy your stay in DFW!

BlackNGoldBearer
01-28-2011, 11:28 AM
If you are going to the Fort Worth Stock Show, another Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives place close by is Fred's Texas Cafe (and I love Louie's in Dallas for pizza):

http://www.fredstexascafe.com/

Fred's have the best burgers in the Fort by far. Great suggestion MGS!

caseydog
01-29-2011, 05:49 PM
I've been MIA yesterday and today. Two days of sunny and 70s weather. I've been outside as much as possible.

The forecast high for Tuesday is 38, with a low of 16 and an 80-percent chance of precipitation. We might have us a good old North Texas ice storm.

High for Wednesday... 27.

It get's better later in the week, but next weekend will NOT be like today.

Thanks to the other posters for picking up the slack.

BTW, I've been to the Hard Eight in Stephenville, and it was very good. I have not been to the one in Fort Worth.

Cooper's in Llano is legendary, and is one of my favorite places for brisket. I have not been to the one in Fort Worth.

CD

romy
01-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Apologize if this was already posted BUT I searched and couldn't find anything. We are coming to dallas for the superbowl and getting our stadium parking tickets today. Is there a planned section where majority of steelers fans are parking and tailgating before the game??:tt02:

steelerchad
01-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Apologize if this was already posted BUT I searched and couldn't find anything. We are coming to dallas for the superbowl and getting our stadium parking tickets today. Is there a planned section where majority of steelers fans are parking and tailgating before the game??:tt02:

What lot are you buying? When I looked, it looks like red S is all that's available. No tailgating is allowed in these lots.

Tooner
01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Just go to nfl.com and drill down, lots od information there. Maps, mass transit, official Superbowl guide, parties, links to other SB events, etc., etc., etc.

MeanGreenSteeler
01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
There is a Steeler Nation Tailgate party, tickets are $45 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Bowl-XLV-Steeler-Nation-Tailgate-Party-/150555981408?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item230dd5f660

:tt:

StillSpotz
01-30-2011, 03:45 PM
You guys are pretty in depth, but I'll give a few of my thoughts:

Greenville Avenue is good, but parking will be a mess.

Beltline Rd in Addison (N Dallas area) has tons of good bars just east or west from The Dallas North Tollway

Strip clubs: Baby Dolls, The Mens Club, The Lodge, Silver City and Jaguars (if you like all nude and byob). There are dozens off of I-35 and Northwest Highway. I personally think Baby Dolls is usually the best as they have the most dancers, so something for everyone.

Uptown area just north of Downtown Dallas (McKinney Avenue) also has tons of great bars and restaurants.

If you like Hooters type restaurants, there are several all over the area. Twin Peaks, Bone Daddy's and Hooter's are everywhere.

Downtown Fort Worth (Sundance Square) is awesome. Since The Stillers are in Fort Worth, I'm guessing a lot of you will be in that area. Don't know that area too well, but it's a great town. It definitely gives you the generalized opionion most people have of Texas.

Dallas is known for the cocaine and boob job crowd, whereas FW is very country and welcoming.

Hope this helps and I'll try to answer any specific questions that any of you have.

Gonna be a great fricken week!!!

caseydog
01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
There is a Steeler Nation Tailgate party, tickets are $45 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Bowl-XLV-Steeler-Nation-Tailgate-Party-/150555981408?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item230dd5f660

I don't know anything about the people putting this tailgate party on. The location is close enough to the game for most people to walk. I don't know about parking. That location is a few blocks from the GM plant in Arlington, where the big SUVs are made. There is a lot of open land, so it is a good place to set up a tailgate party. I'd personally like to know more about parking.

Maybe someone involved can email me at cdsuperbowldallas@gmail.com with some more information.

CD

caseydog
01-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Malarkey's Tavern in Addison has Pittsburgh Steelers parties with Ken Laird and Deshea Townsend on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. The 3rd and 4th are lunchtime live "Sports Talk" radio show events from 1-3. I plan to go to at least one of those, to check it out.

They have a "Steeler Fan Rally" (sic) scheduled for Saturday, February 5th. They mention "Former Steeler (sic) Legends" on their events page, but they don't say who.

They also list a Live Gameday Party, with the tavern and a tent set-up for the game.

Malarkey's is one of the few "Steelers Bars" I have heard of in the Dallas area.

My own opinion is, this gameday event would be great for Steelers fans who live in Dallas, but there is no way I would recommend flying to Dallas to watch the game in Addison. However, since I already live here, I plan on checking this bar out.

CD

StillSpotz
01-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Malarkey's Tavern in Addison has Pittsburgh Steelers parties with Ken Laird and Deshea Townsend on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. The 3rd and 4th are lunchtime live "Sports Talk" radio show events from 1-3. I plan to go to at least one of those, to check it out.

They have a "Steeler Fan Rally" (sic) scheduled for Saturday, February 5th. They mention "Former Steeler (sic) Legends" on their events page, but they don't say who.

They also list a Live Gameday Party, with the tavern and a tent set-up for the game.

Malarkey's is one of the few "Steelers Bars" I have heard of in the Dallas area.

My own opinion is, this gameday event would be great for Steelers fans who live in Dallas, but there is no way I would recommend flying to Dallas to watch the game in Addison. However, since I already live here, I plan on checking this bar out.

CD

I'll definitely be there Thur and maybe Fri and Saturday. Thanks for the info!!

Granada
01-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Granada Theater in Dallas, Texas is holding an XLV-HD Watching Party! Come watch the big game on 3 20-ft. screens with BRAND NEW HD projectors!

$20 to reserve a seat that includes an all-you-can-eat fajita buffet. Doors @ 4pm on 2.6.11.

http://granadatheater.com/show/steelers-vs-packers-watching-party/

caseydog
01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Granada Theater in Dallas, Texas is holding an XLV-HD Watching Party! Come watch the big game on 3 20-ft. screens with BRAND NEW HD projectors!

$20 to reserve a seat that includes an all-you-can-eat fajita buffet. Doors @ 4pm on 2.6.11.

http://granadatheater.com/show/steelers-vs-packers-watching-party/

The Granada Theater is awesome. One of the grand old theaters, lovingly restored.

CD

caseydog
01-31-2011, 10:32 PM
If you are coming from Pittsburgh to Dallas early, as in tomorrow, you will feel right at home. It just started raining here, and by mid morning tomorrow, it is forecast to become freezing rain, followed by sleet, followed by snow. The temperature tomorrow afternoon, a lovely 27 degrees. The high temperature for Wednesday, 20-degrees, and for Thursday, 25 degrees.

It was sunny and in the 70s all weekend. Welcome to North Texas! The weather here is insane. LOL

CD

caseydog
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
A massive Super Bowl party tent on the Cotton Bowl field couldn't withstand the weight of the ice and snow from today's storm.

Crews are taking down the tent to clear off the ice and snow. It will be back up tomorrow, and the XLV Party, scheduled for Friday and Saturday, is still on, said Ariana Hajibashi, the party publicist. Organizers anticipated that the ice and snow might be too heavy for the tent.

"It did not collapse," she said. "It came down quicker than we wanted to. ... 'Tent collapse' sounds like a catastrophe. We're all there, knowing that it was going to happen."

No one was injured, Hajibashi said.

The event, which bills itself as "the largest tent party for the big game," will feature Duran Duran's Roger Taylor, Chiddy Bang and Passion Pit, among other groups. Tickets are available at xlvparty.com.

"Everything is good to go," Hajibashi said.

CD

MeanGreenSteeler
02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
More info on the tailgate party:

http://www.robmowry.com/xlvtailgate

caseydog
02-04-2011, 01:06 PM
If you are flying to Dallas today, verify your flight status. We got snow on top of the ice we already had.

CD

StillSpotz
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I'll definitely be there Thur and maybe Fri and Saturday. Thanks for the info!!

Great time at Malarkey's today. Several hundred fans were there. Would still be there if I didn't have my kids, but may be going back tonight.

caseydog
02-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Great time at Malarkey's today. Several hundred fans were there. Would still be there if I didn't have my kids, but may be going back tonight.

I missed the Malrakeys's party. The weather here has SUCKED!!!

I was going to watch the game at home, but my current plan is to watch it at Down Under, in Frisco, TX, three miles from where I live. They call themselves a Steelers bar. I figure I'll find out, when I show up in my #58 Jack Lambert Jersey. That jersey separates the boys from the men. Forget the battle of Ben vs. Bradshaw. Nobody ever wore the black and gold like Jack Lambert did.

You guys are pretty much on your own from now on. Go Steelers!!!!!

CD

StillSpotz
02-06-2011, 09:39 AM
I missed the Malrakeys's party. The weather here has SUCKED!!!

I was going to watch the game at home, but my current plan is to watch it at Down Under, in Frisco, TX, three miles from where I live. They call themselves a Steelers bar. I figure I'll find out, when I show up in my #58 Jack Lambert Jersey. That jersey separates the boys from the men. Forget the battle of Ben vs. Bradshaw. Nobody ever wore the black and gold like Jack Lambert did.

You guys are pretty much on your own from now on. Go Steelers!!!!!

CD

I live in Frisco too, near the 7-11 off of College and Hillcrest. You should check out Malarkeys. I've definitely found a new home to watch the games next season.