PDA

View Full Version : There is a Steeler Way

SteelSurf
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Like me, many of you grew up as Steelers fans on the knees of your dad or grampa watching the games at the stadium or on TV. Like me, your dad prolly let you take a sip of beer 'only during the game' as he would explain to your mom, with a smile on his face. Your Dad prolly explained Steeler fandom and Life's rules to you as well. #1 rule, don't blame anybody but yourselves if something doesn't go your way. #2 Let us be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat. #3 Never let another team decide whether you make it to the playoffs on game 16 . Win it before. #4 Leave the showboating and big mouthing for the other guys, let our hard smash-mouth way of Steeler ball speak for itself.
Most importantly...
Let us be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat.

This is the Steeler way. The Only way. This is our rep throughout the other 31 teams,let's not forget this. I know it's hard to do. I'm not schooling anyone, I yell at the refs plenty and want to lower myself to opposing teams fans in a smack contest. But I resist and fall back upon the Steeler way that was taught to me back in 1960.

Congrats to the Jets and their fans for a well played game. We will see them next year.

We Steeler Fans and our team has a Super Bowl to prepare for. Our Opponent is the Green Bay Packers....Another great team with loyal fans,National representation and a storied franchise. Sounds kind of like us,don't they?

Here we Go Steelers, Here WE GO!

SeinfeldNut
01-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Like me, many of you grew up as Steelers fans on the knees of your dad or grampa watching the games at the stadium or on TV. Like me, your dad prolly let you take a sip of beer 'only during the game' as he would explain to your mom, with a smile on his face. Your Dad prolly explained Steeler fandom and Life's rules to you as well. #1 rule, don't blame anybody but yourselves if something doesn't go your way. #2 Let us be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat. #3 Never let another team decide whether you make it to the playoffs on game 16 . Win it before. #4 Leave the showboating and big mouthing for the other guys, let our hard smash-mouth way of Steeler ball speak for itself.
Most importantly...
Let us be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat.

This is the Steeler way. The Only way. This is our rep throughout the other 31 teams,let's not forget this. I know it's hard to do. I'm not schooling anyone, I yell at the refs plenty and want to lower myself to opposing teams fans in a smack contest. But I resist and fall back upon the Steeler way that was taught to me back in 1960.

Congrats to the Jets and their fans for a well played game. We will see them next year.

We Steeler Fans and our team has a Super Bowl to prepare for. Our Opponent is the Green Bay Packers....Another great team with loyal fans,National representation and a storied franchise. Sounds kind of like us,don't they?

Here we Go Steelers, Here WE GO!

Very well said, I am very early in my fandom of the Steelers and I appreciate fans like you who have been w/ the franchise for years and years giving your thoughts on what the Steelers are about.

stlrtruck
01-23-2011, 10:58 PM
While my father did those things, he did not teach me about the Steelers, for that I had to learn on my own. See my old man was a colts fan, then oilers fan, then ravens fan.

SeinfeldNut
01-23-2011, 11:02 PM
While my father did those things, he did not teach me about the Steelers, for that I had to learn on my own. See my old man was a colts fan, then oilers fan, then ravens fan.

I understand, I'm in the same boat. I have had to learn about the Steelers on my own, get to know the history, players and tradition etc. My father is a Cowboys fan and my mother is a Patriots fan.

deathrow821
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
I learned the Steelers Way from my uncle. He's the one that got me into them. My dad's a Cowboys fan, but I definitely was taught all of that stuff as a kid. Just over the phone instead of in person.

4xSBChamps
01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=33279

SB45 will be played 2 years to-the-day after we buried my dad

SeinfeldNut
01-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

steeltheone
01-24-2011, 10:22 PM
My Daddy was a Raiders fan...Yuckk

SeinfeldNut
01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
My Daddy was a Raiders fan...Yuckk

Ugh, did he try and get you to be a Raiders fan?

stlrtruck
01-24-2011, 10:37 PM

Not to take away from your personal loss, and for that I'm sorry :drink:, but
SB45 will be played on my 40th B-day. :tt: :tt04: :tt02: :tt03:

skinart82
01-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Exactly how I was raised. I was brought home in a Willie Stargell outfit and Black and Gold have been our colors since day one. Now I raise my children the same way.

SeinfeldNut
01-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Exactly how I was raised. I was brought home in a Willie Stargell outfit and Black and Gold have been our colors since day one. Now I raise my children the same way.

Terrific, starting them early so they can grow and learn about the Steelers as they grow up.

saveus1011
01-25-2011, 12:26 AM
My dad didn't have a team, he flipped between his childhood Packers and the Bengals (ironically.) My mother rooted for the Falcons because her family did (and they were the "home" team.) My brother rooted for the Broncos because he loved John Elway.

I've already said on here how I became a fan, and I'm at a point where I feel like I don't have to prove anything anymore. For a while, I felt pressured because I wasn't from the 'burgh and people (even my idiot cousin) labeled me a bandwagoner. The fact is, I know more about the Steelers than they likely do about their own franchise (i.e. - originally the Pirates, first game was a 23-2 loss, oh and Ernie F'N Stautner) and I always support them win or lose.

There is honestly no better feeling than being a Steelers fan. It has nothing to do with how many titles we have, how much success we've constantly had. It's because of the support we give the team.

SeinfeldNut
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
My dad didn't have a team, he flipped between his childhood Packers and the Bengals (ironically.) My mother rooted for the Falcons because her family did (and they were the "home" team.) My brother rooted for the Broncos because he loved John Elway.

I've already said on here how I became a fan, and I'm at a point where I feel like I don't have to prove anything anymore. For a while, I felt pressured because I wasn't from the 'burgh and people (even my idiot cousin) labeled me a bandwagoner. The fact is, I know more about the Steelers than they likely do about their own franchise (i.e. - originally the Pirates, first game was a 23-2 loss, oh and Ernie F'N Stautner) and I always support them win or lose.

There is honestly no better feeling than being a Steelers fan. It has nothing to do with how many titles we have, how much success we've constantly had. It's because of the support we give the team.

Yeah, felt the same pressure from my family, my brother and parents saying to me how could you be a Steeler fan, your joining because they win allot of Super Bowls. I said to them its my decison & their is allot more reasons to why I became a Steelers fan, one of them being the traditions of the franchise, the great history, coaches, players and the blue collar identity this franchise exudes.

Aussie Steeler
01-25-2011, 12:51 AM
I rooted for the Steelers ever since 2004. The year Big Ben joined the NFL. Before this, I had not even heard of American Football. I didn't follow the Steelers through and through, and only started watching NFL on a regular basis the past two years (I'm recently 20, and am a HARD-OUT Rugby fan). I rooted for the Steelers because they were the first and only team I played with on Madden NFL, and it has stuck since. Some on forums may call me a bandwagoner, since I'm from Australia and really have no personal relationship with Pittsburgh (or any NFL team for the matter). I went for the Steelers because of the way Ben played the game, the way Bettis ran the ball and the hard smash mouth football that defined the Steelers. This was before I figured out they were such a decorated franchise. Six years on, I tune in at sometimes 4 am in the morning to watch games and miss work on Mondays occassionally to catch a big Steeler game (since Sunday games are on Monday in Aus).

4xSBChamps
01-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Some on forums may call me a bandwagoner, since I'm from Australia and really have no personal relationship with Pittsburgh... I tune in at sometimes 4 am in the morning to watch games and miss work on Mondays occassionally to catch a big Steeler game.

"... THIS man is holding-down the South Pacific for us!!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/movies/GeorgePatton.jpg

From this point-forward, NOBODY calls this man a 'band-wagoner', got-it???"

SeinfeldNut
01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I rooted for the Steelers ever since 2004. The year Big Ben joined the NFL. Before this, I had not even heard of American Football. I didn't follow the Steelers through and through, and only started watching NFL on a regular basis the past two years (I'm recently 20, and am a HARD-OUT Rugby fan). I rooted for the Steelers because they were the first and only team I played with on Madden NFL, and it has stuck since. Some on forums may call me a bandwagoner, since I'm from Australia and really have no personal relationship with Pittsburgh (or any NFL team for the matter). I went for the Steelers because of the way Ben played the game, the way Bettis ran the ball and the hard smash mouth football that defined the Steelers. This was before I figured out they were such a decorated franchise. Six years on, I tune in at sometimes 4 am in the morning to watch games and miss work on Mondays occassionally to catch a big Steeler game (since Sunday games are on Monday in Aus).

Thats called dedication people!!!

deathrow821
01-25-2011, 09:22 AM
All of my friends have tried to label me as a bandwagon fan because I never rooted for the hometown team. But my Dad is a Cowboys fan living in the DC area, I was never allowed to root for the Redskins (hate them almost as much as the Ravens), but I love my Steelers and Penguins. Watch every game, pregame shows, you name it and I've either watched it or read it. Started watching the Steelers as a kid in the 1998 season, never looked back. Don't get me wrong, I'll root for the Pirates, but I'm a Cubs fan. Still haven't figured out which one is worse though.

HinesWard86HOF
01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
i know this is a bit old ... but i just joined the chat.. and thanks to the moderators for getting me online so quickly. (still waitign for over a week for steelres.com) so thanks moderators !!! ....

it was great in the ravens game to see our steeler drafted brown and sanders play so well... while the guys the ravens spent big bucks on to win the division TJ and boldin dropped key passes... they tried to take the short cut and buy a championship while we did it the steeler way.. we EARNED IT !!!

hines ward forever !!!

stb_steeler
01-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Welcome......GO HINES....:tt02:

harrison'samonster
01-27-2011, 10:20 AM
you've got to love it that the Steelers do things the right way. We get a free agent every once and a while, but we don't need to buy a whole new team every few years.

GMU Steeler
01-27-2011, 10:36 AM
you've got to love it that the Steelers do things the right way. We get a free agent every once and a while, but we don't need to buy a whole new team every few years.
Yep, honestly this is why I am a Steelers fan and not a Skins fan. As a kid, I always hated teams that just thought they could buy a team rather than develop it throught he draft. IT's why I've becoem such a strong Steelers fan and why I never had much love for the local Redskins who go after the first big name FA they see.

43Hitman
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Welcome to the boards. We have a thread about this already though.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=67770

SteelCityMom
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the boards. We have a thread about this already though.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=67770

Thank you....threads merged.

And welcome to the boards! Go Steelers! :tt02: