PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey says injury won't sideline him for the Super Bowl

mesaSteeler
01-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Pouncey says injury won't sideline him for the Super Bowl

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 24, 2011

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey plans to play in Super Bowl XLV despite sustaining a high ankle sprain in a 24-19 win against the New York Jets.

Pouncey, the first Steelers rookie offensive lineman to make the Pro Bowl since the 1950s, left the AFC Championship Game on the first possession after Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas fell on his left leg.

Pouncey did not return to the game but he said afterwards that he will play Feb. 6 against the Green Bay Packers in Dallas.

I know in my heart that Im playing in that game, Pouncey said after the Steelers earned their third trip to the Super Bowl in the last six years. I had the same injury before on my other ankle and I know how to attack it. I know how to approach things.

The Steelers will likely hold Pouncey out of practice until they arrive in Dallas, and the 6-4, 304-pounder gets extra time to heal because of the bye both Super Bowl-bound teams receive next weekend.

Pouncey has started every game this season for the Steelers though he became the latest one to go down on a unit that has been besieged by injuries.

Despite the loss of Pouncey, the Steelers provided enough running room for Rashard Mendenhall to rush for 95 yards in the pivotal first half -- and 121 overall against the team that had the No. 3 rushing defense in the NFL during the regular season.

They dont blink, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said when asked about the resiliency shown by the offensive linemen. The standard is winning. Its not always as attractive as we would like, talking about the effort, but it is effort nonetheless. Todays effort was kind of a window to what it has been.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Pouncey says injury won't sideline him for the Super Bowl - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_719533.html#ixzz1BvVpiSID

lexingtonsteelersfan
01-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Didn't Hines stay up at all hours of the nights doing treatments to get in the last SB? Hope he can go.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Plans ? I hope he plans alot better then Rex Ryan!

El Nino
01-24-2011, 12:16 AM
we're going to need him. legursky is a huge dropoff.

MasterOfPuppets
01-24-2011, 12:19 AM
the way he was hopping off the field and came back with crutches , doesn't look very encouraging ...:doh:

BigRick
01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I think he will do everything humanly possible to get ready. He won;t want to miss playing in his first Super Bowl.:helmet: :tt03:

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 12:24 AM
the way he was hopping off the field and came back with crutches , doesn't look very encouraging ...:doh:

A sprain is the most painful Injury that ANY Football player can have. I have seen guys on cruthches right after it, and then running a 4.1 forty 3 days later. The crutches don't mean a darn thing. Only the MRI will tell the tale.

lexingtonsteelersfan
01-24-2011, 12:27 AM
I wonder how the Big Polar Bears thigh is doing? Sometimes those linger. By the way instead of Big Ben maybe we need to go with "The Big Polar Bear" from now on since he doesn't like Big Ben anymore.

MikeHaullace
01-24-2011, 12:30 AM
I just read the headline and thought "This is the greatest news possible." Not sure if I should be so confident.

SeinfeldNut
01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Hopefully this two week period will give him time enough to be able to move around without too much pain.

Steelboy84
01-24-2011, 12:32 AM
we're going to need him. legursky is a huge dropoff.

I know. He was getting trucked today. And going against Raji, that's not good.

MikeHaullace
01-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I know in my heart that Im playing in that game, Pouncey said after the Steelers earned their third trip to the Super Bowl in the last six years. I had the same injury before on my other ankle and I know how to attack it. I know how to approach things.

He'll play < 100%. I think right now, I'd take a 75% Pouncey over a 100% Legursky for the Super Bowl.

No offense to Doug.

stb_steeler
01-24-2011, 12:36 AM
I think he'll play reguardless.....hope its not a lingering injury....

OX1947
01-24-2011, 12:38 AM
I thought legursky played really well considering the situation. But this is great news. I love this kid....

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 12:42 AM
He'll play < 100%. I think right now, I'd take a 75% Pouncey over a 100% Legursky for the Super Bowl.

No offense to Doug.

If he has to play, the two weks to get ready will be huge. He and Ben should have no more trouble with the Snaps. Also, as it goes to having Pure Mauler like strength to take on BJ,,,Legursky has way more then Pouncey. But Pouncey is the better gap blocker. And certainly a better pass protector. Hope he does play.

3rdandlong
01-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Pouncey will do everything in his power to play in the Super Bowl, but the crutches did not look encouraging.

MattsMe
01-24-2011, 12:58 AM
A sprain is the most painful Injury that ANY Football player can have. I have seen guys on cruthches right after it, and then running a 4.1 forty 3 days later. The crutches don't mean a darn thing. Only the MRI will tell the tale.

I'm pretty sure Joe Theismann would disagree with that statement.

BUIf5m0bgu0

JCPsteelers
01-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Regardless if he plays or not, Pouncey is a warrior. What a stud.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Pouncey had better play. Or he will receive alot of the Jay Cutler treatment. Especially after how Flozell handled his High Ankle sprain. Anyone remember the second Baltimore game ?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10343/1109584-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

SteelCityMom
01-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Pouncey had better play. Or he will receive alot of the Jay Cutler treatment. Especially after how Flozell handled his High Ankle sprain. Anyone remember the second Baltimore game ?

Pouncey will make every effort to play in the SB. Kids a gamer.

If he can't, no one will give him the "Cutler treatment". That's a guarantee.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Mom, if Pouncey has no structural damage,,,and the report is he does not. Then his High Ankle sprain is not even as bad as the one Flozell got in the Baltimore game. And he cameback the next week to play, and at a O-Line position that requires alot more motion. And he is 35 years old, not 21. So one would assume Pouncey can heal faster. Look this is all for not Mom cause like you,,,I KNOW Pouncey is gonna suit up and play. Even if he has to take 10 shots of cortisone and other pain killers....he's playing!

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2011, 03:44 PM

This was your post earlier today

Plus when I compared Pouncey to Cutler it was more me being sarcastic.

Sarcasm or not?

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
This was your post earlier today

Plus when I compared Pouncey to Cutler it was more me being sarcastic.

Sarcasm or not?

Dan, nothing Cutler did made him deserve the treatment that other league players said about him, when they never even played with him. But that aside, Cutler does deserve some flack for his demeanor sometimes. So in that vein, I was sarcastic cause Pouncey will never be like that the way Cutler is. As it goes to the Injury though, yeah, unless it is worse then reported, his Sprain is not nearly as bad as the one Flozell had against Baltimore. And Adams gutted it out to not miss a game this season. And Admas was a starter in this league when Pouncey was in 1st grade.
So Pouncey had better Nut it up for the SB game :thumbsup:

chitownpit
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Playing basketball iv substained two 3rd degree sprains. They hurt worse then breaking your
ankle and the swelling is worse. And yes , hines ward slept in a hyperbarec chamber for
the week leading up to the superbowl

theplatypus
01-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Dan, nothing Cutler did made him deserve the treatment that other league players said about him, when they never even played with him. But that aside, Cutler does deserve some flack for his demeanor sometimes. So in that vein, I was sarcastic cause Pouncey will never be like that the way Cutler is. As it goes to the Injury though, yeah, unless it is worse then reported, his Sprain is not nearly as bad as the one Flozell had against Baltimore. And Adams gutted it out to not miss a game this season. And Admas was a starter in this league when Pouncey was in 1st grade.
So Pouncey had better Nut it up for the SB game :thumbsup:

This coming from the guy that said Pouncey was out for all of next season just yesterday. :chuckle:

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
This coming from the guy that said Pouncey was out for all of next season just yesterday. :chuckle:

Show me where I said that ? I said IF...IF...IF Pouncey tore up all his knee ligiments he would likely be out all of next year cause tearing all those ligiments is a year of rehab. But I also said lets hope it is not his knee. So please, learn to read first.

steeltheone
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Was Pouncey injury prone in college? Seems like he has been down on the field 2 or 3 times this year.