PDA

View Full Version : How Steelers survived a bad QB day

mesaSteeler
01-23-2011, 11:16 PM
How Steelers survived a bad QB day
January, 23, 2011
Jan 23
11:12PM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/16185/how-steelers-survived-a-bad-qb-day

As was the case with the NFC Championship, the winning quarterback in the AFC title game didnít have one of his better statistical efforts. But, as has been the case with Ben Roethlisberger previously, the Pittsburgh Steelers found a way to win anyway, beating the New York Jets, 24-19.

The Steelers advanced to their eighth Super Bowl, matching the Dallas Cowboys for most appearances in NFL history.

Roethlisberger finished with a passer rating of 35.5, the second-lowest in his postseason career. Yet, heís won his three worst games in terms of passer rating, beating the Jets twice and the Seahawks, when he posted a 22.6 in Super Bowl XL.

Roethlisberger is 10-2 career in postseason starts. His .833 win percentage ranks second all-time, behind only Bart Starr, who went 9-1.

This was the second time since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970 that the winning teams in each conference championship game did not throw a touchdown pass. The only other previous occurrence was in 1980 (both the Raiders and Eagles won without throwing one).

Roethlisberger didnít need to throw one, partly because running back Rashard Mendenhall was so good. Mendenhall recorded the 15th 100-yard rushing game in Steelers history and joined Franco Harris, Merril Hoge and Willie Parker as Steelers who had 120 rushing yards and a touchdown in a postseason game.

Mendenhall exploited the right side of the Jets defense. He averaged 6.5 yards per carry and got four first downs on his 13 rushes to the right side, against a Jets defense that allowed 3.9 yards per run to the right during the regular season.

The Steelers also won on the strength of a defense that completely shut the Jets down in the first half. Among the standouts was LaMarr Woodley, who got his 10th career postseason sack. It took Woodley only six games to get 10 sacks, the fewest games needed to reach that plateau since sacks became official in 1982.

Roethlisberger did well with one thing. Our video review showed that he pump-faked on five plays against the Jets. The Steelers averaged 9.2 yards on those five plays and converted first downs four times. Only two of the five plays were pass attempts (2-for-2, 21 yards) as Roethlisberger pump-faked to extend the play and scrambled twice for first downs (a run of 12 yards on 3rd-and-12, and a five-yard run on 3rd-and-4).

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is the second coach in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl twice in his first four seasons as head coach. Joe Gibbs is the other (he took the Redskins to Super Bowl XVII in second season and Super Bowl XVIII in his third season). Tomlin could become first coach to win two Super Bowls in his first four seasons (Gibbs and the Redskins lost Super Bowl XVIII).

This was the third time since the NFL-AFL merger that both conference championship games were decided by seven points or fewer. The other two were in 1987 (Redskins won by seven, Broncos won by five) and 2001 (Patriots won by seven, Rams won by five).

For the Jets, as it always is, itís a case of wait Ďtil next year. The Jets are 0-4 in AFC Championship Games, which according to the Elias Sports Bureau, is the worst record of any team in conference championship play, surpassing the 0-3 Cleveland Browns. The Jets and Browns are the last two AFC teams to lose consecutive conference championships.

SteelCityMom
01-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Other than Ben's QB stats, those are impressive!

And I'm not totally down on Ben's rating for the game either. He ran a TD in, and both of the INT's were deep in the Jets zone. The bobbled snap is the only thing that ticked me off...but he's had little time playing with Legursky. Could have been a lot better, but it could have been A LOT worse too.

ZoneBlitzer
01-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Ben had an off day for sure but what you have to respect is that he fought through it to the end and made the plays when they absolutely had to have them.

HAWK
01-24-2011, 12:04 AM
**** that. Ben played great. I'm sooo tired of all these stats blahblahblah. Even the talking heads on the TV are saying that Ben played great.

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Well I think the Jets did a hell of a job taking Ben out of the game. That was their game plan and it worked for most of the game. What cost them ultimately was that we ran better then they thought we could . Mostly Mendy and some of Ben's big scrambles won us that game.

The Jets took away the deep ball (namely Wallace) and Ben struggled with that. Several times during that game Ben was looking deep but couldn't' find anything. A couple times he forced it, a couple times he missed wide open WR's. I thought we should have got Heath into that game more. If Ben throws a decent ball to Heath it's an easy TD... we did end up scoring anyway so no big deal. Ben was too amped up IMO...he accuracy was noticeably bad. But Ben did work through it and get us 1st downs. It was Mendy and our O-line that really made the difference. After Pouncey left there was a noticeable drop off in the 2nd half.

This next game will take everything we have to win it.

MikeHaullace
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
**** that. Ben played great. I'm sooo tired of all these stats blahblahblah. Even the talking heads on the TV are saying that Ben played great.

Yeah. This pretty much sums up how I feel as well.

Couldn't tell you about the talking heads but, I do know one thing :

Ben makes plays when he needs to make plays. Plain and simple.

Throw style points out the window. It's about the W. Ben has a lot of 'em.

CaliStillersFan
01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Leave the stat lines to fantasy geeks. Final score is the only stat I care about. His 2 biggest passes came when it mattered most.

Merchant
01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
I thought Ben had a great game. Don't care what the stats say.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Ben played well in the final 2 minutes to close the game... Thats what really matters here. He doesn't get those 2 first downs, the way the Jets momentum was going, they would have scored and won the game.

History shows, games are won and lost in the final 2 minutes of each half.
- Coach Lombardi

Third Rail
01-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Ben completed passes when he needed to, ran better than any QB in the league not named Michael Vick (even running for a TD himself), and made the throws at the end that won the game. Also, all the "geniuses" who are picking the Packers over the Steelers already should take note that Rodgers also threw two picks today and only ran in one TD.

SeinfeldNut
01-24-2011, 12:28 AM
How Steelers survived a bad QB day
January, 23, 2011
Jan 23
11:12PM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/16185/how-steelers-survived-a-bad-qb-day

As was the case with the NFC Championship, the winning quarterback in the AFC title game didn’t have one of his better statistical efforts. But, as has been the case with Ben Roethlisberger previously, the Pittsburgh Steelers found a way to win anyway, beating the New York Jets, 24-19.

The Steelers advanced to their eighth Super Bowl, matching the Dallas Cowboys for most appearances in NFL history.

Roethlisberger finished with a passer rating of 35.5, the second-lowest in his postseason career. Yet, he’s won his three worst games in terms of passer rating, beating the Jets twice and the Seahawks, when he posted a 22.6 in Super Bowl XL.

Roethlisberger is 10-2 career in postseason starts. His .833 win percentage ranks second all-time, behind only Bart Starr, who went 9-1.

This was the second time since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970 that the winning teams in each conference championship game did not throw a touchdown pass. The only other previous occurrence was in 1980 (both the Raiders and Eagles won without throwing one).

Roethlisberger didn’t need to throw one, partly because running back Rashard Mendenhall was so good. Mendenhall recorded the 15th 100-yard rushing game in Steelers history and joined Franco Harris, Merril Hoge and Willie Parker as Steelers who had 120 rushing yards and a touchdown in a postseason game.

Mendenhall exploited the right side of the Jets defense. He averaged 6.5 yards per carry and got four first downs on his 13 rushes to the right side, against a Jets defense that allowed 3.9 yards per run to the right during the regular season.

The Steelers also won on the strength of a defense that completely shut the Jets down in the first half. Among the standouts was LaMarr Woodley, who got his 10th career postseason sack. It took Woodley only six games to get 10 sacks, the fewest games needed to reach that plateau since sacks became official in 1982.

Roethlisberger did well with one thing. Our video review showed that he pump-faked on five plays against the Jets. The Steelers averaged 9.2 yards on those five plays and converted first downs four times. Only two of the five plays were pass attempts (2-for-2, 21 yards) as Roethlisberger pump-faked to extend the play and scrambled twice for first downs (a run of 12 yards on 3rd-and-12, and a five-yard run on 3rd-and-4).

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is the second coach in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl twice in his first four seasons as head coach. Joe Gibbs is the other (he took the Redskins to Super Bowl XVII in second season and Super Bowl XVIII in his third season). Tomlin could become first coach to win two Super Bowls in his first four seasons (Gibbs and the Redskins lost Super Bowl XVIII).

This was the third time since the NFL-AFL merger that both conference championship games were decided by seven points or fewer. The other two were in 1987 (Redskins won by seven, Broncos won by five) and 2001 (Patriots won by seven, Rams won by five).

For the Jets, as it always is, it’s a case of wait ‘til next year. The Jets are 0-4 in AFC Championship Games, which according to the Elias Sports Bureau, is the worst record of any team in conference championship play, surpassing the 0-3 Cleveland Browns. The Jets and Browns are the last two AFC teams to lose consecutive conference championships.

That stat really jumps out at me, if he could beat the Packers, he solidifies himself as one of the great QBs of all time.

USWSteel
01-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Well I think the Jets did a hell of a job taking Ben out of the game. That was their game plan and it worked for most of the game. What cost them ultimately was that we ran better then they thought we could . Mostly Mendy and some of Ben's big scrambles won us that game.

The Jets took away the deep ball (namely Wallace) and Ben struggled with that. Several times during that game Ben was looking deep but couldn't' find anything. A couple times he forced it, a couple times he missed wide open WR's. I thought we should have got Heath into that game more. If Ben throws a decent ball to Heath it's an easy TD... we did end up scoring anyway so no big deal. Ben was too amped up IMO...he accuracy was noticeably bad. But Ben did work through it and get us 1st downs. It was Mendy and our O-line that really made the difference. After Pouncey left there was a noticeable drop off in the 2nd half.

This next game will take everything we have to win it.

Yeah he misses a wide open miller and then Pouncey gets hurt the next play... should have never happened. He also couldn't get the ball to a wide open Wallace who beat Revis by 3 steps. When will this kind of play from Ben catch up with him? I hope its not in Dallas.

caseyviator
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM

This next game will take everything we have to win it. i dont think so!!!!

i think the afc has the top 4 best teams in the whole league.followed by packers
steelers
patriots
rravens
jets
packers

i think we have played the best teams and beat them in the playoffs

i think if we dont have turnovers and we are on warm fast turf..also on the long bomb play where wallace had revis beat by 3 steps and ben underthrew it, in 5 degree weather its really hard to get that ball down the field 60 yards the ball just doesnt go through the cold air as well as in the warm air., in the warmer air ben will pass deeper much easier and much better...also we have more team speed than any team period...on turf our offense is on a whole different level.
i think we will beat these guys by 10..i dont think they are as good as the ravens or the jets i really dont.
pitt 31
pack 20

ZoneBlitzer
01-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah he misses a wide open miller and then Pouncey gets hurt the next play... should have never happened. He also couldn't get the ball to a wide open Wallace who beat Revis by 3 steps. When will this kind of play from Ben catch up with him? I hope its not in Dallas.

Agreed. There were also several near INTs. The one to Revis in the endzone comes to mind.

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2011, 11:17 AM
I know I was nice and warm watching the game indoors but have to assume the frigid conditions in both games impacted the poor passer ratings by both Aaron Rodgers and Ben

Sixburgher
01-24-2011, 11:17 AM

Rodgers threw 2 picks and no TDs yesterday as well. I think the same question can reasonably be asked about him too, considering that a 3rd string nobody almost brought the Bears back.

Spidey
01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Not a great day passing the football yesterday from Ben, . . . .

He made up for it by the plays he made with his feet and closing out the game in good style.

Still wouldn't swap him for anyone.

He'll need to pass the ball better in two weeks, and I believe he will.

harts
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Bad QB play?
Please
In the words of Al Davis
"Just Win Baby"

Brady or Manning could not have made the plays Ben made last night

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM

THANK YOU!

I think Ben deserves the "A+" that every single talking head is giving him for this game because FINALLY they're realizing that Ben isn't about "stats" but he's about getting it done when he needs to; or as Skip Bayless put it: "He was born with the "clutch" gene in his DNA".

If I had a dime for every QB who posted great stats --- and then lost, I could retire to Tahiti. Stats don't mean beans. The only thing that means anything is "W's" and Ben just keeps printing them.

wootawnee
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Who's the only guy in the world to have a 35.5 and you would say he played an awesome game?............Ben.....Every pass he completed was a great one, that's how.....

OX1947
01-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Big Ben defies numbers. He is the Troy Aikman of his era. Aikman had 15 TD, 9 INT type season his entire career. But won games because he played within the situation. Last night, Ben rode Mendenhall and made key throws when it mattered. One of his INTs was a fluke, the other one was his fault.

What I sort of feel comfortable with is I am glad he got his INTs out of the way after not throwing any for a while. He will come into the Super Bowl on a mission and hopefully put up 300 and 3 TDs. I saw Haine make throws on their D on several occasions. And the Packers are not good at stopping the run. If the Steelers have a 1st half like they did in the AFC Title came, it could be a duplicate game in the Super Bowl, with maybe the difference being that Ben has a little more positive result in numbers.

cloppbeast
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Other than Ben's QB stats, those are impressive!

And I'm not totally down on Ben's rating for the game either. He ran a TD in, and both of the INT's were deep in the Jets zone. The bobbled snap is the only thing that ticked me off...but he's had little time playing with Legursky. Could have been a lot better, but it could have been A LOT worse too.

On top of that, in my opinion, both INTs were the fault of the reciever.

Obviously, the Medenhall drop was his fault, but I also think Sanders should have come back for the ball (he was falling backwards trying to catch it!). He needs to be aware of his defenders and prevent them from undercutting passes like that.

Sidenote: He and Brown have had quite successful rookie years. They've made some clutch catches this season. But, for both of them, their biggest area for improvement is fighting DBs for the ball. This is the NFL, not college. Receivers need to attack the ball, not wait for it.

With all that said, Ben still didn't have his greatest game. But, he does what he always does with the game on the line. Kudos to the coaching staff to put the game in Ben's hands. With Ben struggling, that took some balls. I think that will set the tone for the next 2 weeks heading into the Super Bowl.

chitownpit
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Ben had a great game for all you fanasty stat guys . Cant believe what im
hearing , we won despite the way ben performed . You got to be kidding
me? That was a field general with a broken foot , broken nose , and i dont
care what anybody says , after that hit in the knee by suggs at the one yard line
Ben has had torn ligiments in his knee as well as swelling.
I thought he did a great job other then still forgeting how fast his recievers
are. This one for a pick . That ball to Mendy that got picked had a little to
much juice on it for sombody standing 10 feet away and 5 below zero.

steelerjim58
01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
On the surface it does appear that Ben had a bad game. But I would argue that in todays NFL, 19 pass attempts is an average half or very close to it. I'm guessing that if every game was analyzed that all qbs had a few games where at some point in the game their stat line looked like this. I was afraid that when we went in at the half with such a big lead we wouldn't see much passing in the second half. That's what separates the patriots and Colts from the Steelers, they never stop being aggressive.

zulater
01-24-2011, 08:33 PM

That might be the stupidiest point I've ever seen made. :doh: Maybe Pouncey breaks his ****ing neck on the next series if he stays in and Ben saved him from being a quadraplegic.

Seriously dude it's football, it was just in the cards for Pouncey to get hurt yesterday.

As for Ben, he was struggling somewhat yesterday, but he made the plays that had to be made to help get the lead and preserve it later.

USWSteel
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
That might be the stupidiest point I've ever seen made. :doh: Maybe Pouncey breaks his ****ing neck on the next series if he stays in and Ben saved him from being a quadraplegic.

Seriously dude it's football, it was just in the cards for Pouncey to get hurt yesterday.

As for Ben, he was struggling somewhat yesterday, but he made the plays that had to be made to help get the lead and preserve it later.''

I was trying to make a point with that comment .... It is ridiculous ...the same as the idiot who said it was the defenses fault for the safety because they stopped the jets at the 1 yard line and not sooner:doh::doh::doh:

Ben looked bad for most of the game... his runs saved his bacon. His passing was terrible. my god all he was ask to do was pick up a first down or two and that was a serious challenge for a 100 million dollar player... he struggled bigtime. Christ he couldnt hit wide open receivers most of the game !!!!! ie Miller, wallace, and Mendy who had to spin almost completely around for the catch by the endzone.
He hit more jets in the hands with the ball then Steelers !!@!! Good thing the Jets Defense cant catch ! Thank god we didnt need to score on the last drive and only needed a couple first downs or it would probably be Jets Vs Packers !!!

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM
''

I was trying to make a point with that comment .... It is ridiculous ...the same as the idiot who said it was the defenses fault for the safety because they stopped the jets at the 1 yard line and not sooner:doh::doh::doh:

Ben looked bad for most of the game... his runs saved his bacon. His passing was terrible. my god all he was ask to do was pick up a first down or two and that was a serious challenge for a 100 million dollar player... he struggled bigtime. Christ he couldnt hit wide open receivers most of the game !!!!! ie Miller, wallace, and Mendy who had to spin almost completely around for the catch by the endzone.
He hit more jets in the hands with the ball then Steelers !!@!! Good thing the Jets Defense cant catch ! Thank god we didnt need to score on the last drive and only needed a couple first downs or it would probably be Jets Vs Packers !!!
everyone has a bad game at one time or another. I think Steelers' fans are happy with Ben because even when he has a bad game throwing he can make plays with his legs, and has a short memory. A win is a win and the last drive was clutch. Those guys weren't wide open, it takes confidence to make those throws. The Jets secondary played a great game.

USWSteel
01-24-2011, 10:02 PM
everyone has a bad game at one time or another. I think Steelers' fans are happy with Ben because even when he has a bad game throwing he can make plays with his legs, and has a short memory. A win is a win and the last drive was clutch. Those guys weren't wide open, it takes confidence to make those throws. The Jets secondary played a great game.

Maybe you should watch the game again,on the turned over miller catch he was wide open, so was wallace who blew by Revis as if his shoes were untied, and Mendy also was alone in the open. 3 passes that would have been easy TD's if Ben makes a decent throw. Hey I'm not saying he didnt make a few plays but come on really ? What if we lost the first thing everyone would be saying is look at those numbers he sucked !!! Geez with a few minute left in the 4th he had -3 yard passing in the second half.... even if your not a "fantasy guy" that sucks !

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Maybe you should watch the game again,on the turned over miller catch he was wide open, so was wallace who blew by Revis as if his shoes were untied, and Mendy also was alone in the open. 3 passes that would have been easy TD's if Ben makes a decent throw. Hey I'm not saying he didnt make a few plays but come on really ? What if we lost the first thing everyone would be saying is look at those numbers he sucked !!! Geez with a few minute left in the 4th he had -3 yard passing in the second half.... even if your not a "fantasy guy" that sucks !

I don't need to watch the game again, he did not have a great day throwing. He did have a great day running for first downs and when it counted he hit the receivers. I am satisfied as I was when we beat the Seahags in the SB. Not pretty but a win. You on the other hand can bitch and whine about our QB who has won 2 SB's in 6 years and taken us to a third for a statistically poor game. Face it the Jets coverage was very good and Ben was pressured almost every time he dropped back in the second half.

USWSteel
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't need to watch the game again, he did not have a great day throwing. He did have a great day running for first downs and when it counted he hit the receivers. I am satisfied as I was when we beat the Seahags in the SB. Not pretty but a win. You on the other hand can bitch and whine about our QB who has won 2 SB's in 6 years and taken us to a third for a statistically poor game. Face it the Jets coverage was very good and Ben was pressured almost every time he dropped back in the second half.

RIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT...thats it fall back on the Oline excuse for him, that explains it. They played another good to great game yesterday... I guess Mendy made all the holes in the Jets line yesterday... they also gave Ben more than enough time yesterday.

Aussie Steeler
01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
''

The ball to Miller was a tad overthrown but it was alot harder of a pass than you think - you should watch the replay. He did underthrow Wallace though. And if we're talking about the same pass to Mendy - that was on Mendy slipping, not on Ben. It was a sure TD. You underestimate the Jets' pass defense and ALOT of times, there were no receivers getting open. Brady caught himself in that situation many times last week and took a sack, Ben rolled out of the pocket, made plays with his feet or bought time for receivers to get open. In fact I'd even go as far to say that the unorthodox play of Ben is a huge factor for us winning the game. The Jets secondary had their way with Manning and Brady. And yeahh, that $100M quarterback can pick up a first down or two - refer to last two first downs. Did you even watch the game?

And for the record; if we needed to, we could have scored on the last drive. We have Ben Roethlisberger derr.

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
The ball to Miller was a tad overthrown but it was alot harder of a pass than you think - you should watch the replay. He did underthrow Wallace though. And if we're talking about the same pass to Mendy - that was on Mendy slipping, not on Ben. It was a sure TD. You underestimate the Jets' pass defense and ALOT of times, there were no receivers getting open. Brady caught himself in that situation many times last week and took a sack, Ben rolled out of the pocket, made plays with his feet or bought time for receivers to get open. In fact I'd even go as far to say that the unorthodox play of Ben is a huge factor for us winning the game. The Jets secondary had their way with Manning and Brady. And yeahh, that $100M quarterback can pick up a first down or two - refer to last two first downs. Did you even watch the game?

And for the record; if we needed to, we could have scored on the last drive. We have Ben Roethlisberger derr.

exactly, we only had the ball on 3 drives the second half. I don't count the safety because it was one play. We ran 8 plays when Ben threw a pic which was a mistake due to being only second down. Then we had a 9 play drive that backed up due to sacks. The last drive was a success and was 8 plays. He had one bad series which was the first due to the pic when we were on their 35 yard line. Hardly equates to a bad game.

Aussie Steeler
01-24-2011, 10:52 PM
exactly, we only had the ball on 3 drives the second half. I don't count the safety because it was one play. We ran 8 plays when Ben threw a pic which was a mistake due to being only second down. Then we had a 9 play drive that backed up due to sacks. The last drive was a success and was 8 plays. He had one bad series which was the first due to the pic when we were on their 35 yard line. Hardly equates to a bad game.

That pick was frustrating. Sanders should have come back instead of going forward into coverage. Massive rookie error led to an interception. It didn't help that the O-line collapsed on Ben. One second Sanders is open, Ben dodges the would-be-tackler, and the next Sanders is in double coverage. Even though Ben threw that ball into the double coverage, I can't really blame him as he had a LB or DE (I can't remember who) on his face as well as Sanders committing a huge rookie error leading the ball into coverage instead of coming back to the play to help his QB.

Also, not to be too critical of a rookie ... but it looked to me that Sanders gave up on that play when he saw the DB go for the interception. He should have been aggressive and contested it, he let the DB catch it without contest. I hope he gets a talking to. There is much work to be done with Sanders. Very raw WR.

LVSteelersfan
01-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Some morons have no clue that POSSIBLY the opposing defense had something to do with it. The Jets got there with their defense and it was phenomenal in the second half. Any QB would have struggled. Remember Manning and Brady, the so-called two best QBs in NFL history the prior two weeks. Get a freakin clue dude.

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 11:44 PM
That pick was frustrating. Sanders should have come back instead of going forward into coverage. Massive rookie error led to an interception. It didn't help that the O-line collapsed on Ben. One second Sanders is open, Ben dodges the would-be-tackler, and the next Sanders is in double coverage. Even though Ben threw that ball into the double coverage, I can't really blame him as he had a LB or DE (I can't remember who) on his face as well as Sanders committing a huge rookie error leading the ball into coverage instead of coming back to the play to help his QB.

Also, not to be too critical of a rookie ... but it looked to me that Sanders gave up on that play when he saw the DB go for the interception. He should have been aggressive and contested it, he let the DB catch it without contest. I hope he gets a talking to. There is much work to be done with Sanders. Very raw WR.

Imagine the upside to the these young receivers. I only hope Sweed gets inspired by them assuming he is still around. Next year if when we get Colon and Starks back and hopefully draft a O lineman the offense is going to be as good as the D.

wootawnee
01-25-2011, 02:52 AM

ditto

wootawnee
01-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Big Ben defies numbers. He is the Troy Aikman of his era. Aikman had 15 TD, 9 INT type season his entire career. But won games because he played within the situation. Last night, Ben rode Mendenhall and made key throws when it mattered. One of his INTs was a fluke, the other one was his fault.

What I sort of feel comfortable with is I am glad he got his INTs out of the way after not throwing any for a while. He will come into the Super Bowl on a mission and hopefully put up 300 and 3 TDs. I saw Haine make throws on their D on several occasions. And the Packers are not good at stopping the run. If the Steelers have a 1st half like they did in the AFC Title came, it could be a duplicate game in the Super Bowl, with maybe the difference being that Ben has a little more positive result in numbers.

The first a fluke .....the second a punt.....

wootawnee
01-25-2011, 03:01 AM
RIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT...thats it fall back on the Oline excuse for him, that explains it. They played another good to great game yesterday... I guess Mendy made all the holes in the Jets line yesterday... they also gave Ben more than enough time yesterday.

You post like a Troll IMO........

plenewken
01-25-2011, 06:03 AM
The first a fluke .....the second a punt.....

You're the 3rd guy here with this theory that the 2nd pick was a punt. Where is this coming from? It was 2nd and 9!! Are we punting on 2nd down now? And Ben's the punter? C'mon! It was a poor throw into double coverage, no ifs, ands or buts.
I don't think Ben played great, either. To me he played OK. He did enough at the end of the game to seal the W and it's what matters most.

zulater
01-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Ever consider those holes Mendy was running through might not have been there if the Jets didn't fear our ability to pass the ball? It's a combination of things that make an offense work, in the second half when the Jets were confident the Steelers would run to use clock they stacked the deck against the run and stopped us. But in the first half, look at the opening drive, Ben kept them guessing by mixing things up, so they played the entire first half defensively guessing and on their heels.

OK, here's the thing, if your contention is Ben had a bad day at the office, I'll disagree with you, but I'll get into the why later when I have more time.

But if your copntention is that Ben isn't an elite quarterback you have no ****ing clue as to what you're talking about,and we'll leave it at that, as I'm not going to waste keystrokes on a moronic conversation.

zulater
01-25-2011, 06:19 AM
You're the 3rd guy here with this theory that the 2nd pick was a punt. Where is this coming from? It was 2nd and 9!! Are we punting on 2nd down now? And Ben's the punter? C'mon! It was a poor throw into double coverage, no ifs, ands or buts.
I don't think Ben played great, either. To me he played OK. He did enough at the end of the game to seal the W and it's what matters most.

That's fair. I don't think Ben had his normal velocity or accuracy all day. I'm not sure if that was about the exteme weather, if your hand is numb, I'm sure that would effect your passing, or maybe it was the lingering after effects of battling illness all week combined with the extreme cold, or maybe that shot he took to the hip had some bearing on his game? Or maybe it was just a bad passing day period. :noidea: But the bottom line is he batled through it, didn't get down on himself, and made enough plays to help gain the lead, and later made the plays he needed to to put it away.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 11:01 AM

I think it's more about where the pick occured. Yes it was 2nd down, and yes it was a bad throw...but throwing a pick where he did is the equivalent of a 3 & out and a decent punt. At least that's how I took it to mean.

I was upset that he threw that pick, but the Steelers still led (by at least 2 scores at that point I think?) and it didn't give the Jets good field position. If you're ever going to throw picks in a game, Ben's two are how you want to do it lol.

zulater
01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81de4791/article/steelers-packers-provide-plan-for-others-to-find-success

Ben Roethlisberger was once again the difference. By allowing him to move around in the pocket and escape the pressure, Big Ben killed the Jets, especially on third. His ability to make a play out of nothing is tremendous. As Phil Simms said to me after the game, Roethlisberger's stats lie. He clearly was the difference in the game.

I think I'll take Phil Simms' word on this one.:thumbsup:

USWSteel
01-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Ever consider those holes Mendy was running through might not have been there if the Jets didn't fear our ability to pass the ball? It's a combination of things that make an offense work, in the second half when the Jets were confident the Steelers would run to use clock they stacked the deck against the run and stopped us. But in the first half, look at the opening drive, Ben kept them guessing by mixing things up, so they played the entire first half defensively guessing and on their heels.

OK, here's the thing, if your contention is Ben had a bad day at the office, I'll disagree with you, but I'll get into the why later when I have more time.

But if your copntention is that Ben isn't an elite quarterback you have no ****ing clue as to what you're talking about,and we'll leave it at that, as I'm not going to waste keystrokes on a moronic conversation.

Yeah what other excuse can you come up with ? Our passing attack is so scary now the oline doesnt need to even block !!!!! What a joke !!!!:popcorn:

zulater
01-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Yeah what other excuse can you come up with ? Our passing attack is so scary now the oline doesnt need to even block !!!!! What a joke !!!!:popcorn:

Jets DT, Trevor Pryce was on Mike and Mike the other day and when asked which the Jets feared more in that game, Ben or the Steelers running game without a moment's hesitation said Ben.

Come back when you get a clue troll.

:coffee:

zulater
01-28-2011, 06:43 AM
USW Steele is one of three things.

.A fan of another team posing as a Steelers fan, aka a troll.

Someone who's personal dislike of Ben Roethlsiberger is so pronounced that he's lost all objectivity in any assessment of his play.

A complete idiot when it comes to the game of football who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to assessing qb play.

My guess is troll.