PDA

View Full Version : Hope LeBeau can come up with a strategy to stop Rodgers

lexingtonsteelersfan
01-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Rodgers is my biggest worry and he seems to be even tougher on turf because he can use his feet and quickness. Ben actually may be better suited for grass but Rodgers will thrive indoor and on a fast turf running away from defenders. We have to find a way to get to Rodgers in this game early and get some hits on him to make him think. We also have to contain him when he gets out of the pocket. Lebeau has his hands full but i am sure we will watch film and get a great game plan. Plus Rodgers is due a bad game isn't he? But regardless we have to pressure him and make sure when we have a chance to get him down get him down. The key to the game is making Rodgers feel uncomfortable and everything else can and will fall into place.

ZoneBlitzer
01-24-2011, 12:47 AM
thank you. that's what i was trying to say over in another thread. AR is quick on carpet.

SeinfeldNut
01-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Rodgers is my biggest worry and he seems to be even tougher on turf because he can use his feet and quickness. Ben actually may be better suited for grass but Rodgers will thrive indoor and on a fast turf running away from defenders. We have to find a way to get to Rodgers in this game early and get some hits on him to make him think. We also have to contain him when he gets out of the pocket. Lebeau has his hands full but i am sure we will watch film and get a great game plan. Plus Rodgers is due a bad game isn't he? But regardless we have to pressure him and make sure when we have a chance to get him down get him down. The key to the game is making Rodgers feel uncomfortable and everything else can and will fall into place.

Yep, because Rodgers if he is contained, will get happy feet and rush a throw off. Bears were able to get to him a few times today, make him have to worry about pressure coming from all sides. Steelers will, like you said, have to establish that right away in this game.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't care about stopping Rodgers. I care about stopping the PACKERS! And I will love to see how Aaron is gonna run away from Timmons. I mean name another LB who is close to Timmons athleticsm and speed ?
Also, we have played two of the leagues BEST Pass-protecting O-Lines in Baltimore and the Jets..I mean great ones. Lets see how the Packers O-Line does in a Super Bowl game when they are nervous, and where not ONE single Packer player has ever even played in a SB game.

tony hipchest
01-24-2011, 12:56 AM
And I will love to see how Aaron is gonna run away from Timmons. I mean name another LB who is close to Timmons athleticsm and speed ?

brian urlacher?

:noidea:

mcg24
01-24-2011, 12:57 AM
brian urlacher?

Athleticism? Maybe. Speed? Definitely not. If it was Lawrence Timmons running with that interception in the NFC Championship game today, he runs it all the way back for the score.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Tony, you're going by reputation. Urlacher is sub-par athletically now. I mean he was David Harris out there running that pick back ? Timmons is Mike Wallace fast on the defensive side. Rodgers will get some angles to get some yards yes. But if he does it too much, he will be creamed.

toughsticks87
01-24-2011, 01:06 AM
The key to beating the Packers will lie in time of possession. Keep the ball out of AR's hands.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Rogers will have success against the Steelers defense... Practicing against a Dom Capers defense will have him ready for the Steelers. But will he score 36 points? No, I think the Steelers will hold him to under 30, but Ben and Mendy have to play very good because this wont be some 17-14 type game. More like 28-31

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2011, 01:10 AM
They way you beat the packers is by running the ball and containing Rogers. This will neutralize their pass rush and prevent Rogers from making big runs. The Packers offense thrives on the quick 10-20 yard pass plays to Jennings along w/ Rogers running for 1st downs.

They lost to the bears today because #1 they allowed Rogers to run on them. #2 They could not establish any offense to keep the Packers off the field.

Those two factors decided that game.

We should be able to score some points and eat up some clock on the Packers. Containing Rogers and the big plays will be another issues all together. But it will take a better game from Ben then we saw today. I think the Jets did expose Arians a little bit. They removed Wallace from that game and Ben struggled with that.

Also protecting Ben. The bears did a great JOB imo keeping Mathews from taking over that game. The Bears horrible QB play really made it tough to take much from that game. The Packers playmakers on defense ( mathews and Woodson) can take a game over. We cannot let that happen.

The bears defense though did figure out how to contain Rogers. Sure Rogers put up some big yards offensively in the 1st half. After that it was the Bears defense. It was the Bears QB play that really cost them in the 2nd half.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Rogers will have success against the Steelers defense... Practicing against a Dom Capers defense will have him ready for the Steelers. But will he score 36 points? No, I think the Steelers will hold him to under 30, but Ben and Mendy have to play very good because this wont be some 17-14 type game. More like 28-31

They scored 21 each against the Bears and the Eagles. And you think they're gonna get near 30 on us ? :toofunny::rofl::toofunny::rofl::toofunny::rofl:

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 01:18 AM
They scored 21 each against the Bears and the Eagles. And you think they're gonna get near 30 on us ? :toofunny::rofl::toofunny::rofl::toofunny::rofl:

Bears play them 2 times a year, they know Rogers and that offense.. And Rogers should have had 28 points against them, but he threw 2 touchdowns in bears terrortory.

All out blitzing a quarterback like Rogers who takes more sacks than most quarterbacks will end up in 21 points like the Eagles held them to, but the Steelers don't all out blitz. Plus these are way different defenses.

Packers have good recievers, a running back who has shown he's a beast, and an all star quarterback who can win in the playoffs. They have the ability to do to the Steelers what the Patriots did. And everyone knows that if a team starts passing a lot, LeBeau goes into prevent defense mode, and we all know how well that ends up...

But it could be 9-6... I'm just throwing some fuel into the arguement. To say its doubtful that Rogers could score against the Steelers defense would be way too optimistic

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Bears play them 2 times a year, they know Rogers and that offense.. And Rogers should have had 28 points against them, but he threw 2 touchdowns in bears terrortory.

All out blitzing a quarterback like Rogers who takes more sacks than most quarterbacks will end up in 21 points like the Eagles held them to, but the Steelers don't all out blitz. Plus these are way different defenses.

Packers have good recievers, a running back who has shown he's a beast, and an all star quarterback who can win in the playoffs. They have the ability to do to the Steelers what the Patriots did. And everyone knows that if a team starts passing a lot, LeBeau goes into prevent defense mode, and we all know how well that ends up...

But it could be 9-6... I'm just throwing some fuel into the arguement. To say its doubtful that Rogers could score against the Steelers defense would be way too optimistic

rogers will put up some yards on us. DL's philosophy has always been "bend but don't break" We'll give Rogers his quick 5 yard passes. What we will try to contain are those big runs by Jennings (after the catch) and Rogers when he can't find Jennings. Rogers is much like Brady in that he''ll get rid of that ball quickly against blitzing defenses.

Capers knows our weaknesses. I think it will be up to Ben and our offense to keep Rogers off the field and score points. We will need more then 24 points to win this game. My guess is we'll need over 30 to win it.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 01:34 AM

What RB do they have ? Please son, what that kid has done against those Bums they have played is not us. As far as the Bears knowing them, then what is your excuse for his average stats against Miami, Washington...? Look, the guy is good of course. But just like we had trouble in the first Jets game in the Red zone cause our reliable short area threat in Miller was out. So to do I THINK that even IF Rodgers moves the ball within the 20 to 20 Yd line,,,what TE is gonna bail out Rodgers ?

They have none. And Finely was the KILLER of our defense in last years game. Neson, Jennings, Driver,,all those guys will be useless in a tight Red Zone area. And they don't have a good RB who can catch it either. I think Green Bay should worry about a plan to stop Harrison and Woodley, and all the rest of the steeler defenders who HAVE played in the Big game.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 01:51 AM
What RB do they have ? Please son, what that kid has done against those Bums they have played is not us. As far as the Bears knowing them, then what is your excuse for his average stats against Miami, Washington...? Look, the guy is good of course. But just like we had trouble in the first Jets game in the Red zone cause our reliable short area threat in Miller was out. So to do I THINK that even IF Rodgers moves the ball within the 20 to 20 Yd line,,,what TE is gonna bail out Rodgers ?

They have none. And Finely was the KILLER of our defense in last years game. Neson, Jennings, Driver,,all those guys will be useless in a tight Red Zone area. And they don't have a good RB who can catch it either. I think Green Bay should worry about a plan to stop Harrison and Woodley, and all the rest of the steeler defenders who HAVE played in the Big game.

I remember when we faced the Patriots after the Browns loss. They were lackluster, they were bearly winning games, only put up 17 points on the browns, an average of like 20 a season, very low. Most steeler fans were confident the Steelers would win. It wasn't even like 60/40 it was like 95/5. But look how that turned out. Everyone started questioning the season. But now we're in the superbowl. I'm not complaining, but just because you're really confident and you know the team were facing has been lackluster doesn't mean that the Steelers could be the team they just have a huge day against.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Yep, because Rodgers if he is contained, will get happy feet and rush a throw off. Bears were able to get to him a few times today, make him have to worry about pressure coming from all sides. Steelers will, like you said, have to establish that right away in this game.

Yup. If you keep Rogers in the pocket and nobody gets open, sometimes Rogers will force it. Don't let him outside. Te Bears shut him down for the second half. After the 14, he couldn't do anything. If our defense can hold them to 24 points, that's good. I really think the O should aim for 27 points.

The other thing is, just like this week, if the defense gets a fumble or INT, they should try to score and not feel satisfied.

If Jennings gets shut down, Rogers is not as good. I'd like to see Ike man to man on Jennings. He totally shut Santonio down except the one time he tripped. As good as Driver, Jones and Nelson are, Rogers can't survive with those guys alone.

Once Rogers throws a couple of picks, then he tends to hold on to the ball and get sacked.

The main thing I don't want is Swiss Cheese Pass defense. I hope Troy will hang around Jennings, a pick will come sooner or later.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 02:34 AM
The Packers are beatable. We just need to study.
Held to
-17 against bears
-13 against redskins
-20 against Dolphins
-9 against Jets
-17 against falcons
-3 against Detroit (Rogers got knocked out)
-10 against bears

That's 7 games so they don't always have the same Scoring like they had with the Falcons. In addition when the Eagles settled down, they almost beat them and when the Bears settled down, the offense was held to 14 points.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Jennings is tough. I imagine Ike will take him. I don't really wanna see Mcfadden play cause he has been horrible. But if he does, I think he will take the slower Vet Driver. The BIG challange for us will be if Gay can take Jordy Nelson...that will be huge. I find it funny though that in this game...WE will actually have the Special teams advantage over Green Bay :-) Cause they are not good at all.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Jennings is tough. I imagine Ike will take him. I don't really wanna see Mcfadden play cause he has been horrible. But if he does, I think he will take the slower Vet Driver. The BIG challange for us will be if Gay can take Jordy Nelson...that will be huge. I find it funny though that in this game...WE will actually have the Special teams advantage over Green Bay :-) Cause they are not good at all.

I see Gay on either Jones or Nelson. They run a lot of 4 WR sets so Hampton may have a lot of rest...lol They will start out trying to run and try to stick with it but they will be unsuccessful.

Here's the thing...with Finley out and their back up sucking, they can run 4 WR and no TE. At minimum they will have 3WR every play.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 02:50 AM
I want to look at some film of Baltimore because I don't think Ngata comes out in their nickel. Maybe they just take one of the DEs or LBs out.

I almost really consider Gay a starter now because 3 WR sets are so common and nobody wants to tie up their safeties.

Also, Bulaga has been struggling so that could be a good day for Woodley or it may force them to use their TE as an extra blocker. They even flat out put out an extra tackle on some plays. lol

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 03:07 AM

the game last year where the pack scored 36 or so wasnt enough? anyways yes i am a packer fan but i come in peace. i think this is going to go down as one of the best super bowls ever. two teams that have stellar defenses and offenses. i dont think it will be a shootout like last year tho. both are very different teams now, alot better on defense. also take into account that rodgers is one of the best dome qbs i have ever seen. he is good in the cold but better in domes.

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 03:14 AM

we have quarless, i know he is not well known yet as he is just a rookie. BUT he is a damn fine football player if you have the chance to watch all his games this year as i have. he is not the beast that finley is, but i think that the finley injury was the best thing to happen to gb. he was becoming rodgers lock on target, he would just lock onto finley and not give jennings or the other good recievers they have a chance. now he spreads the ball around to multiple targets

about the second paragraph, we have many weapons on offense, from rodgers to starks. they have the best wr corp in the game by far. and rodgers can run it in himself as u guys already know. And yes the steelers have been there and done that twice this decade (kudos btw) but expirense in the big game isnt always an advantage. we havent won it in 15+ years and i think we want it more. but as i said it will be a good game non to less. also not trying to bash the steelers in any way, i have alot of respect for the steeler fans and football team. but go pack!

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 03:21 AM
The Packers are beatable. We just need to study.
Held to
-17 against bears
-13 against redskins
-20 against Dolphins
-9 against Jets
-17 against falcons
-10 against bears

That's 7 games so they don't always have the same Scoring like they had with the Falcons. In addition when the Eagles settled down, they almost beat them and when the Bears settled down, the offense was held to 14 points.

u have to take into account the circumstances in those games we lost tho. we have 15 players on ir this year.

-17 against bears - 26 penalties, should have been a w
-13 against redskins - finley goes out, lost in ot
-20 against Dolphins - rodgers was playing a week after getting his 1st concussion
-9 against Jets - 50 mph wind gust, neither team could throw
-17 against falcons - bs ST flag with under a min left in 4th
-10 against bears - very cold day in lambeau field, not ideal passing conditions but still got the W

all but one of these games was a L. not trying to make excuses but they are facts. rodgers is in the top 3 qbs in the league, he can run on ya and he can pass on ya. i hope the steelers dont like to blitz because AR has a very quick release and is the best QB under the blitz. he will shred the blitz.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 03:23 AM
u have to take into account the circumstances in those games we lost tho. we have 15 players on ir this year.

-20 against Dolphins - rodgers was playing a week after getting his 1st concussion
-10 against bears - very cold day in lambeau field, not ideal passing conditions but still got the W

all but one of these games was a L. not trying to make excuses but they are facts. rodgers is in the top 3 qbs in the league, he can run on ya and he can pass on ya. i hope the steelers dont like to blitz because AR has a very quick release and is the best QB under the blitz. he will shred the blitz.

Trust me kid, you DON'T wanna start talking about Injuries with us and our team, cause your teams Injuries don't come close :doh:

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 03:30 AM
Trust me kid, you DON'T wanna start talking about Injuries with us and our team, cause your teams Injuries don't come close :doh:

okay, i will take your best shot

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 03:34 AM
56 Nick Barnett ILB (IR) starter
-- Josh Bell CB (IR)
42 Morgan Burnett SS (IR) starter
54 Brandon Chillar ILB (IR) starter
88 Jermichael Finley TE (IR) starter
25 Ryan Grant RB (IR) starter
91 Justin Harrell DE (IR)
41 Spencer Havner TE (IR)
97 Johnny Jolly DE (Susp.) starter
59 Brad Jones OLB (IR) starter
29 Derrick Martin FS (IR)
96 Mike Neal DE (IR) starter
74 Marshall Newhouse G/T (IR)
51 Brady Poppinga OLB (IR) starter
27 Anthony Smith FS (IR)
65 Mark Tauscher OT (IR) starter

plus you have the starters that missed games here and there all year like cullen jenkins, chad clifton, aaron rodgers, and many more.

steelers have what 6 on IR, and how many of those where major contributers and starters?

dez09231
01-24-2011, 04:00 AM
56 Nick Barnett ILB (IR) starter
-- Josh Bell CB (IR)
42 Morgan Burnett SS (IR) starter
54 Brandon Chillar ILB (IR) starter
88 Jermichael Finley TE (IR) starter
25 Ryan Grant RB (IR) starter
91 Justin Harrell DE (IR)
41 Spencer Havner TE (IR)
97 Johnny Jolly DE (Susp.) starter
59 Brad Jones OLB (IR) starter
29 Derrick Martin FS (IR)
96 Mike Neal DE (IR) starter
74 Marshall Newhouse G/T (IR)
51 Brady Poppinga OLB (IR) starter
27 Anthony Smith FS (IR)
65 Mark Tauscher OT (IR) starter

plus you have the starters that missed games here and there all year like cullen jenkins, chad clifton, aaron rodgers, and many more.

steelers have what 6 on IR, and how many of those where major contributers and starters?

The Packers have injuries. . . they do. . no doubt, they've overcome alot. . . . but seriously. . . let's stop being childish. .

. ok. . .

Baluga has been better than Tauscher almost since he was drafted. . . anyone who knows football can see that. . . he would've been starting regardless.

Anothony Smith? Bro. . . you're on a Steelers forum. . . . . maybe you should rethink who you're talking to. . . we know Mr. Guarantee better than you ever will. .

Poppinga = not a starter. Nice try kid.

Marshall Newhouse. . . really?. . . we lose actual o-line players that we counted on before the season started.

Mike Neal? Man. . . I bet you guys are missing all 3 tackles from the unproven rookie. . . another fabrication of yours. . .

Derrick Martin. . . damn. . . losing a 3rd string safety is a bitch.

Brad Jones. . . 5 games, 16 tackles. . . . . OFFENSIVE MINDS STAYED UP ALL NIGHT. . .

Jolly = maybe he should stop being a junkie.

Should I really continue or should I just save time and say that pretty much no one aside from Finley and Grant are relevant?

You reallllly have no idea what you're talking about.

ncsteeler
01-24-2011, 04:01 AM
I don't care about stopping Rodgers. I care about stopping the PACKERS! And I will love to see how Aaron is gonna run away from Timmons. I mean name another LB who is close to Timmons athleticsm and speed ?
Also, we have played two of the leagues BEST Pass-protecting O-Lines in Baltimore and the Jets..I mean great ones. Lets see how the Packers O-Line does in a Super Bowl game when they are nervous, and where not ONE single Packer player has ever even played in a SB game.

KUHN??

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 04:42 AM
The Packers have injuries. . . they do. . no doubt, they've overcome alot. . . . but seriously. . . let's stop being childish. .

. ok. . .

Baluga has been better than Tauscher almost since he was drafted. . . anyone who knows football can see that. . . he would've been starting regardless.

Anothony Smith? Bro. . . you're on a Steelers forum. . . . . maybe you should rethink who you're talking to. . . we know Mr. Guarantee better than you ever will. .

Poppinga = not a starter. Nice try kid.

Marshall Newhouse. . . really?. . . we lose actual o-line players that we counted on before the season started.

Mike Neal? Man. . . I bet you guys are missing all 3 tackles from the unproven rookie. . . another fabrication of yours. . .

Derrick Martin. . . damn. . . losing a 3rd string safety is a bitch.

Brad Jones. . . 5 games, 16 tackles. . . . . OFFENSIVE MINDS STAYED UP ALL NIGHT. . .

Jolly = maybe he should stop being a junkie.

Should I really continue or should I just save time and say that pretty much no one aside from Finley and Grant are relevant?

You reallllly have no idea what you're talking about.

you cant even spell bulaga right lol, no he is a rookie and has made many rookie mistakes this year, the coaches have been giving him blocking help all season.

never said anthony smith was special, just that he is on IR, i never said he contributed on defense, but he did on ST

poppinga is a starting caliber player, we are so deep at lb he may have become a backup, but got alot of play non to less.

newhouse, nope never said he was special either, just that he is on IR. but he does add depth when healthy

mike neal was a beast, he is so strong. i saw him man handle alot of offensive lineman this year when he played. he pushes them straight back into the pocket, and puts alot of pressure on the qb.

derrick martin was a very good ST player. what ST dont count or what? and again added depth

brad jones had a short season, he is a starter and he was a very good one for us last year.

jolly is a good football player that made a mistake, kinda like your QB

barnett is a pro bowl caliber LB and has been for years

burnett is a promising rookie that showed he has what it takes to be elite

chillar is one of the most athletic players the packers have.

dont tell me i dont know what im talking about when it comes the the team i watch every single snap from pre season to now. i know this team inside out, and i know who's good and whos not. so i think you got to get off of wikipedia and watch some film.

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 04:48 AM
KUHN??

practice squad player for the entire 2005 season, never played in the super bowl.

dez09231
01-24-2011, 05:14 AM
you cant even spell bulaga right lol, no he is a rookie and has made many rookie mistakes this year, the coaches have been giving him blocking help all season.

never said anthony smith was special, just that he is on IR, i never said he contributed on defense, but he did on ST

poppinga is a starting caliber player, we are so deep at lb he may have become a backup, but got alot of play non to less.

newhouse, nope never said he was special either, just that he is on IR. but he does add depth when healthy

mike neal was a beast, he is so strong. i saw him man handle alot of offensive lineman this year when he played. he pushes them straight back into the pocket, and puts alot of pressure on the qb.

derrick martin was a very good ST player. what ST dont count or what? and again added depth

brad jones had a short season, he is a starter and he was a very good one for us last year.

jolly is a good football player that made a mistake, kinda like your QB

barnett is a pro bowl caliber LB and has been for years

burnett is a promising rookie that showed he has what it takes to be elite

chillar is one of the most athletic players the packers have.

dont tell me i dont know what im talking about when it comes the the team i watch every single snap from pre season to now. i know this team inside out, and i know who's good and whos not. so i think you got to get off of wikipedia and watch some film.

right, right, right. . . so your little "starter" implications in parentheses clearly weren't meant to imply a misleading significance based on your personal opinion and not actual production or accolades, but instead were meant to show how important they were to ST depth.

Right.

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 05:28 AM
right, right, right. . . so your little "starter" implications in parentheses clearly weren't meant to imply a misleading significance based on your personal opinion and not actual production or accolades, but instead were meant to show how important they were to ST depth.

Right.

no they are facts, poppinga could go either way. you dont need amazing stats to be a good football player, only a few players from that list are on ST, the rest are main contributers on offense and defense. also special teams depth is very important. it can win and lose games.

dez09231
01-24-2011, 05:35 AM
no they are facts, poppinga could go either way. you dont need amazing stats to be a good football player, only a few players from that list are on ST, the rest are main contributers on offense and defense. also special teams depth is very important. it can win and lose games.

31 year olds that have been usurped on the depth chart usually get a ton of play.

Please, define the "main contributors" on offense and defense aside from those i've outlined please. . . and no, merely seeing the field doesn't define them as a "main contributor".

If Anthony Madison and Keenan Lewis hit the IR I wouldn't be stretching and calling them "main contributors".

arodisgod
01-24-2011, 06:03 AM
31 year olds that have been usurped on the depth chart usually get a ton of play.

Please, define the "main contributors" on offense and defense aside from those i've outlined please. . . and no, merely seeing the field doesn't define them as a "main contributor".

If Anthony Madison and Keenan Lewis hit the IR I wouldn't be stretching and calling them "main contributors".

the packers use certain players in certain packages on defense. like i said before u dont need amazing stats to be a good player.

offense

Mark Tauscher - has been an anchor on the offensive line since 2000 when he was drafted along with chad clifton. so he was very important for a decade.

thats about it on the offensive side of the ball

defense

Mike Neal - 2nd Rd draft pick who was a very important body on the deffensive line, showed alot of promise until his unfortunate injury. didnt post many impressive stats but he did put pressure on the qb when he played.

Nick Barnett - Pro Bowl caliber player for almost 7 years now. usually the pack's leader in tackles and is the QB of the Defense.

Brad Jones - Started 7 games as a 7th round pick in 09. posted 33 tackles and 4 sacks. showed promise this year but only started 5 games due to injury.

Morgan Burnett - started 4 games next to Nick Collins and played very well in Atari Bigby's place, as bigby started season on pup list. got hurt in week 4

Brandon Chillar - starter for almost his entire career, very solid player. very vital in capers 34 defense. hurt in week 8

not to mention all the other starters to miss a few games this year.

Matt91
01-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Matthews will destroy our interior line men if Pouncey won't start

LambertIsGod58
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
WIth his mobility and precision passing, I am more than concerned. His O-line is suspect. There's our opportunity.

El Nino
01-24-2011, 12:40 PM
mendenhall is going to have a big game, which will keep rodgers off the field

SH-Rock
01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
I think the game plan should be containment. Keep him in the pocket and bring the pressure.

SteelerEmpire
01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Green Bay has a good offense... but they are VERY mistake prone... We should not be short on opportunities during the game. On top of that, there's a REASON why their a 6th seed...

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2011, 02:29 PM
The Packers have lost 3 players that matter: Finley, Grant, and Barnett. The rest were depth players, some of which were better off being on the IR. Taucher for example lost it. He was horrible last season and hasnt' played a full season since 2007. he was good in his prime...and a class act. But losing him did not matter and the team should have been prepared for that.

The three I mentioned though were big injuries. I'd say we have 3 serious injuries as well, but not to playmakers... our injuries were to the back bone of our O-line and D-line. We lost both our starting tackles and A. Smith our DE. We had pretty solid backups, just as the Packers have. So I think that is why both teams weathered the injury issues. I will concede that the Packers have been harder hit with injuries this year. I just think the number sounds much worse then what it actually is. The key to the Packers has always been Rogers, Jennings, Mathews, and Woodson. If you would have lost one of those guys it would have been over for the Packers.

I think the steelers have more depth. We could have probably lost just about any player on the team and still been a playoff caliber team. Take away our best best WR, RB, and 2nd best ILB? = Wallace, Mendy, and Farrior. That would be the equivalent to what has happened to the Packers. Could we have weathered those losses and still made the playoffs? Its tough to say really. I like our depth at all of those positions so who knows how good our backups would have played? Props to the Packers coaching staff for dealing with all those injuries so well.

Rotorhead
01-24-2011, 03:41 PM
After watching the Bears shut down the Packs offense I feel pretty confident in our Def. Rogers isn't Vick and he may get a run or 2 but nothing that will kill us. They will try to run but we all know how that will work out. I feel our DBs match up well against them as well. If Pouncey is out I will be concerned as their NTis like a young Hampton. He will clog up the middle and get Ben moving faster which will help Mathews on the rush. Our receivers just played the best secondary in the league so I expect better passing production. We will run fine if Pouncey is in. This games winnability will be on our Oline plain and simple. If we have Pouncey we have a good chance at #7, if not it will be closer than it should and could use some Def and ST plays to help out. I don't think the Pack will score more than 17 honestly.

UF-Steeler
01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
This game should be pretty amazing.

Rodgers is awesome, but I believe Woodley and Harrison do a great job of sealing the outside and if the Steelers play contain they can always put a spy on Rodgers if it becomes a problem (Timmons can keep up with him). I think another two weeks is important for our players and their health. I think a healthier Troy will help a lot as he has been quiet the last two playoff games.

Matthews doesn't really scare me as a Steelers fan. I think people forget that Ben handles Suggs 2 to 3 times a year. Suggs is a monster and on the same level as Matthews. In addition, I think Mendenhall will have a good game.

The Steelers experience, familiarity with 3-4 defenses, and veteran leaders will be extremely important for their success in the Super Bowl. It still cracks me up how large the margin is between the #1 run defense (Steelers) and #2 (Bears). This defense is special and scary.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 04:55 PM

My point is that (against the right D) the Packers can be shut down. There is no guarantee that Rogers will have a high scoring offense like he had against the Falcons. If the Redskins can shut the Packers down (and they play a 3-4) then the Steelers might be able to do so too.

You saw after they got 14, the Chicago defense settled down and the O couldn't score anymore. That defensive pick 6 gave them 21. If the Steelers hold their offense to 14, we win.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
After watching the Bears shut down the Packs offense I feel pretty confident in our Def. Rogers isn't Vick and he may get a run or 2 but nothing that will kill us. They will try to run but we all know how that will work out. I feel our DBs match up well against them as well. If Pouncey is out I will be concerned as their NTis like a young Hampton. He will clog up the middle and get Ben moving faster which will help Mathews on the rush. Our receivers just played the best secondary in the league so I expect better passing production. We will run fine if Pouncey is in. This games winnability will be on our Oline plain and simple. If we have Pouncey we have a good chance at #7, if not it will be closer than it should and could use some Def and ST plays to help out. I don't think the Pack will score more than 17 honestly.

I think the Pack will get something like 24 so I'm hoping we can get something like 27 or 28. This is the Superbowl. They must make every Red Zone trip count.

SH-Rock
01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Let me remind you guys of something. Remember how everyone said Micheal Vick is great out of the pocket and can run away from sacks. Well he had to run away because the O-Line stank and look what the Bears did. They contained him, got the sacks and won the game.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 05:16 PM
My point is that (against the right D) the Packers can be shut down. There is no guarantee that Rogers will have a high scoring offense like he had against the Falcons. If the Redskins can shut the Packers down (and they play a 3-4) then the Steelers might be able to do so too.

You saw after they got 14, the Chicago defense settled down and the O couldn't score anymore. That defensive pick 6 gave them 21. If the Steelers hold their offense to 14, we win.

Thats if they can... Obviously Rogers can be stopped, every quarterback can. Brees and Brady were shut down by the Browns of all teams. Steelers haven't shut down an elite quarterback this year. They had some success against Brees, but he still walked down the field to score when he needed to. Tom Brady.... know how that ended. Sanchez, during the season and in the 2nd half of the AFCC game had some successful drives.

If the Steelers do stop Rodgers and hold the Packers to 21 or 14, they have a chance to win, but whos to say the Packers D wont totally destroy the Steelers O? They will terrorize Ben and that line. Mendenhall and the line have to have a good game. Ben can't carry the team on his shoulders against this defense.

side note: LeBeau is good against running quarterbacks, including Vick.

SteelSurf
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Seeing what Lebeau can do with this defense,I doubt seriously that the word 'Hope' plays into the equation. For the record, I'm thinking that the entirety of the Packers offensive coaching staff is trying to come up with a strategy to keep Rogers alive. I'm sure Dom Capers is trying to figure out how to contain Big Ben's quirkiness,abilities outside the pocket,his abilities to avoid-shrug off the blitz and backyard sandbox style of play under wraps as well.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 05:20 PM
The Packers have the ability to get to Ben for sure. But they better worry about how their rookie RT will stop Woodley, and all the stunts they will toss at him. That's the side Troy loves to come from, and they had better be ready for it.

SteelSurf
01-24-2011, 05:52 PM
The Packers have the ability to get to Ben for sure. But they better worry about how their rookie RT will stop Woodley, and all the stunts they will toss at him. That's the side Troy loves to come from, and they had better be ready for it.

When Roethlisberger was asked to describe his style of play.

"Reckless," he said. "Controlled. Fearless. Crazy.

"Because I'm not really afraid of taking a hit. I'm not afraid to stand in there and deliver a ball. I'm not afraid to roll out and, if I feel pressure, try to stick the ball into a place where it shouldn't be stuck into."

For a big guy, Roethlisberger has an excellent ability to get away.
This might sound ineloquent, but it summarizes Roethlisberger's risk-versus-reward world view.It's ironic that both Big Ben and that big clock in London share the same name. You know how quarterbacks have that internal clock that tells them when the rush is about to separate them from their senses? Well, Roethlisberger doesn't operate on the NFL's chuck-and-duck Greenwich Mean Time. Actually, he's more of a time bomb. He will do almost anything to make a play. Quite often, this involves a degree of personal pain. Quite often,this involves a Touchdown or first down. Anyone of you who watched the Jets play the Colts or Patriots can remember how fast both Manning and Brady dropped to the ground and rolled up like an armadillo if a Jets defender came withing 4 yards of them.

gbfan
01-24-2011, 06:01 PM
poppinga was a starter. make sure you know what you are talking about before you start arguing!

RoarkSteel
01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
My first post on this incredible forum!! :thumbsup:

I am not sure if you can call this an advantage for us, but the Packers just finished playing three playoff teams that predominantly ran 4-3 defenses. And the Packers are 4-3 this year when they played against teams that run 3-4 defenses, while we went 8-3!! I am very curious to see how Aaron Rodgers will read and react to our different looks on 3-4.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM

I am not sure if you can call this an advantage for us, but the Packers just finished playing three playoff teams that predominantly ran 4-3 defenses. And the Packers are 4-3 this year when they played against teams that run 3-4 defenses, while we went 8-3!! I am very curious to see how Aaron Rodgers will read and react to our different looks on 3-4.

He can practice against his own D and he likes to spread teams our...our weakness.

xli...
01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Hopefully #43 will come to play this post season.

Doesn't seem to be much of a factor in the last two games.

arodisgod
01-25-2011, 04:03 AM
i doubt this will be a shootout like the last time we played. it will be a hard fought defensive game. the best defense on THAT DAY will win the game.

Fire Haley
01-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Here's your strategy right here....

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/01/23/sports/photos_stories/mark223855--300x300.jpg

Bow down beotches

pete74
01-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Packers run a 3-4 this year. Capers installed it and its almost identical to the defense we run. with that said they do seem to have more trouble against the 3-4 with the exception of last time we played them. everyone else in there division runs a 4-3 so thats what there used to playing

harts
01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Knocking out Rodgers is the best bet.
He must feel pain and feel it often
Troy will have opportunities to make plays this game as there will not restrict Rodgers as much as they did Sanchez

Rodgers just like Ben is good for a couple of mistakes a game
When he makes those mistakes the Steelers must capitalize and SCORE

none of this Brian Urlacher interception then get tackled nonsense

billym99
01-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Anybody catch the 2009 Steelers/Packers replay last night on NFL Network? Pretty good, one of those "abridged" games. Obviously it was one season ago, but a lot of the same players on both squads... two things severely stuck out as far as the Steelers D, missed tackles and no Troy... Tyrone Carter was a joke in that game, couldn't do anything right. Steelers had a lot of issues with tackling (which they don't seem to have this year) and gave up a lot of yards after the catch.

I wouldn't expect a high scoring game like that, but i think it can give some insight on what each team needs to do to the other to be successful in this game.

Fire Haley
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Lord Tyrone was in rare form in that game - running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

No relation to this game - Troy is back.

Ben getting 503 passing yds and Wallace it winning was pretty cool though.