PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes.. Welcome to the Steelers !

noto45
04-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I sure didnt see that coming!!!!!!!!

pucho58
04-29-2006, 03:50 PM

:iagree:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the Super Bowl Champs buddy ! Im not sure any of us saw it coming that we would trade up 7 spots.

He should fit in nicely, he's the same type of player that ARE was in terms of being a multi-dimensional threat for us. He'll come in and compete for the 3rd WR spot behind Hines and Cedric, do punt returns probably right away. He could be the #2 guy by mid season or the end of the season if things work out.

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 03:51 PM
I did...I ALWAYS said that if he dropped into the 20's, we move up for him.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 03:52 PM
He will fit in just great, this is a steal at that pick! Here We Go Steelers

Haiku_Dirtt
04-29-2006, 03:54 PM

Yeah.

I think once Reggie Bush fell to #2 the dominos started falling. I think Suit called a receiver in the first round.

I was pulling for LenDale White.

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Cowher loved this guy, I'm still shocked they moved up for him! Look for Defense the rest of the day..

SteelersFever
04-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I love the guy already. He said he was a Steelers fan since '95. Does it get any better? :smile:

drizze99
04-29-2006, 04:05 PM
I definitely didn't see that coming! I very happy with that jump to grab him. We Had extra picks to do the move, so why not!!

Welcome to the Black-n-Gold S. Holmes!!

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Cowher loved this guy, I'm still shocked they moved up for him! Look for Defense the rest of the day..

Want a freaky pick? It's not outside the realm of possibilty that we package a couple more picks and try to move up in 2 for White.

We have no real holes in the defensive end. Why not gamble a little on the offensive side?

stand undefeated
04-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Want a freaky pick? It's not outside the realm of possibilty that we package a couple more picks and try to move up in 2 for White.

We have no real holes in the defensive end. Why not gamble a little on the offensive side?

Yeah i thought of that too earlier haha.

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 04:13 PM
We'll see...

siss
04-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Welcome S.Homes.
Your quarterback is Ben roethlisberger. Make him look good and he will make you look good!

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 04:18 PM

We have no real holes in the defensive end. Why not gamble a little on the offensive side? i love this idea. assuming his failed drug test has been cleared up as he said.

the best thing about the s. holmes pick is that it is a definite vote of confidence for ben and w. parker. despite what holmes contributes in the upcoming season, i love the message that this pick sends to our future offensive stallwarts (hopefully).
adding l. white on offense will definitely be more productive than adding a player on defense. a defensive pick is really just planning for a year after next.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-29-2006, 04:19 PM
I did...I ALWAYS said that if he dropped into the 20's, we move up for him.

Who would you compare him to in the NFL? His OSU average is pretty sick but in a run offense.

I don't think we overpaid. If we didn't have the extra 4th rounders then I be questioning the cost.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-29-2006, 04:21 PM
i love this idea. assuming his failed drug test has been cleared up as he said.

the best thing about the s. holmes pick is that it is a definite vote of confidence for ben and w. parker. despite what holmes contributes in the upcoming season, i love the message that this pick sends to our future offensive stallwarts (hopefully).
adding l. white on offense will definitely be more productive than adding a player on defense. a defensive pick is really just planning for a year after next.

I think we would have to give up a pick next year to move up in the second to get White. Want it. But doubt it will happen.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Finally a legit 1st rounder at WR, Troy Edwards we pulled the trigger way to soon, I think they wanted him and new he wouldnt be around in the second round, but we took him to early. Plax had one great game, and it was Mich State bowl game he went off, we saw it and pounced on him, another wr, that went way earlier than he should have. But with Holmes he is the real deal. El is gone but we upgraded already. El was sort of a third Wr anyway, even if he starts off as a third, huge upgrade.

Rooneys, Cowher, all the Front Office Thank you, gutsy move. Not to often we move up in the first round, Troy Polamula, but when we do we score.

Steelers fans consider yourself lucky, i do .

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Who would you compare him to in the NFL? His OSU average is pretty sick but in a run offense.

I don't think we overpaid. If we didn't have the extra 4th rounders then I be questioning the cost.

After a little seasoning?
He has Reggie Wayne potential.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 04:25 PM
There always the Duckett possibility??? Who knows!

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 04:27 PM
NE takes Chad Jackson after a trade, which shows what THAT kid is worth.

I still don't like his 10.2 in the West Coast Offense.

MichiSteeler
04-29-2006, 04:31 PM
I really wanted LenDale White, but hopefully Santonio will be productive..

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 04:43 PM
NE takes Chad Jackson after a trade, which shows what THAT kid is worth.

I still don't like his 10.2 in the West Coast Offense. didnt he average like 22 yds per catch< setting a fsu record< the previous year in a different offense?

(i still like an osu wr over an fsu wr)

billcowherschin
04-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I think this is a great move by our staff, we got the #1 reciever in the draft. I look for him to make an immediate impact and be an excellent reciever, possibly even a pro bowl reciever in a few years

Tha rock
04-29-2006, 04:54 PM
hes a great guy and player hes going to be good for you.

Dook
04-29-2006, 05:09 PM
RB Lendale White is still dropping but I doubt he falls all the way to 64.

No way we can move up with this years remaining picks. We'd have to give up a #3 next year to do it. That would move us up to #52.

Ohio Steeler
04-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Santonio Holmes welcome to steeltown

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 05:37 PM
I think alot of us wanted White, but I trust the Steelers here, hell after seeing White drop I trust the entire league!

Ohio Steeler
04-29-2006, 05:40 PM

I hear that very nice pick

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 05:43 PM
I love the fact that it didnt take Holmes long to get a Terrible Towel.

He is an instant fan favorite

Volpe1564
04-29-2006, 05:51 PM
i trust the front office but man id'a loved to has White :)

Ambridge
04-29-2006, 05:53 PM
I just can't get excited about getting the best receiver in a small and questionably talented draft class.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Just keep telling yourself, he's the best WR in the draft :wink: .. allbeit a poor draft class for WR, he was the best available and we had to get one somewhere so it might as well been as good a one as we could have got.

rgleason
04-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Bottom Line - WR is a bigger need than RB. Even if you feel we need a big back, the Steelers are not ready to give up on Duce, who they feel can fill that role. Eventually we will want to add a quality "big" RB to complement Willie, but I dont think we need to address that this year with whoever the flavor of the moment is.
With Holmes, we now have three solid WRs we can depend on for a couple of years. Ward is good for another 3-4 at least, Cedrick stepped up last year in the playoffs, and Ben is even still improving and is going to need weapons. It's a great pick and is much better than L White.
Now, we need some D - Safety and LB, whoever we got ranked high.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Duce is the key, IF, IF he can only stay healthy, cross your fingers

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Thats the million dollar question..if he stays healthy, all this worrying is a mute point, if not, we better make damn sure we have some insurance at RB.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 07:09 PM
What number will Holmes wear, Maybe this was already talked about?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Im sure it'll be talked about pretty quick..these college WR's love to wear thier college numbers in the pros in pros ever since "throw me the damn ball" started it.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 07:15 PM
I hope Ben is happy, I mentioned thois in another thread, I think Holmes is a gift to Ben, after losing Plax, and El in consecutive season, and him having no WR to grow with. Yes he has Hines but he needs someone that he can play with for along time. This could be he guy for the long hual. And our offense is changes to more pass, not all but more. Ben needed this pick!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Good point buddy, plus the fact that he returns kicks makes it an even better pick..

Petesburgh66
04-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Great pick up in my books. Has more of better upside than Randle El will ever have.

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Great pick up in my books. Has more of better upside than Randle El will ever have. well randle el was a qb not a wr. holmes better have more wr upside

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Great pick up in my books. Has more of better upside than Randle El will ever have. well randle el was a qb not a wr. holmes better have more wr upside cause you dont draft a #3 wr with the #25 pick (unless youre the redskins or something)

SteelersNation7
04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Holmes is going to be awsome to watch in the Burgh.

Prosdo
04-29-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty excited about Santonio. It should be interesting to see what happens with the WR core.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm pretty excited about Santonio. It should be interesting to see what happens with the WR core.
I`m also excited, I say we push him to start a.s.a.p. ! And he can take El`s spot on returns!

Petesburgh66
04-29-2006, 09:50 PM
well randle el was a qb not a wr. holmes better have more wr upside cause you dont draft a #3 wr with the #25 pick (unless youre the redskins or something)'

I know Randle El was a drafted as a QB. Holmes upside as a WR to the current Randle El is better in my view.

Ohio Steeler
04-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Living in Columbus and watching holmes play as a Buckeye, I will tell you he is faster then Ginn and can do so much when he has the ball in hand. I for sure cant wait to see him on sundays in Black and Gold.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 11:16 PM
I`m also excited, I say we push him to start a.s.a.p. ! And he can take El`s spot on returns!

If he doesnt start right away atleast returning punts then something is definately wrong. The guy is quick, good hands and has good vision. Bring him on the field on every PT, and work his way into the lineup as the #3 WR and see what happens.

SteelerzGirl
04-30-2006, 05:40 PM
I am absolutely thrilled about Santonio Holmes! Who knew? The Steelers' front office staff never ceases to amaze me. I think this guy will more than fill the shoes of ARE, and the Steelers' air attack is going to ROCK in 2006! Oh yeaaa... I'm lovin' it! :bouncy:

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Santonio! :smile:

WWIIOwheelz
04-30-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm surprised, but it won't be the first time. SIZE is what Ben seems to like, more than anything, in a receiver. Plax was a go-to guy, here, based on little more than his visibility when things broke down. We all know what Heath did last year, as a 1st year TE, and I was calling that from training camp because of his height!

I think Holmes will be a better legit receiver than El, but his real worth will be how well he connects with Ben. That's key.

BB2W
04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I like this pick a lot... great move by the guys in charge to get it done. :thmbup:

Prosdo
05-01-2006, 03:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgU6u07PHVg&search=ohio%20state

Santonio4
05-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Cowher made i bold but very smart move by trading up to get him. He was the best reciever in the draft and we got him.

coachspeak33
05-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I have been pleading on this site for weeks about trading up and getting the guy that can help right now and they did exactly what I said they should do.... A lot of people questioned me when i said "overpay" to move up and maybe they did slightly... but well worth it to draft a guy who will be a starter in his 2nd year and a immediate contributor and upgrade in 3 and 4 receiver sets

I was really surprised that they did not use one pick to draft a LB though.... Rian Wallace and Andre Frazier must be working their asses off during the off-season....

I love the Holmes pick.... he is a winner who brings a dynamic threat to our offense.... and for him to tutor under Hines.... WOW... you gotta love it... when do the preseason game start??????

83-Steelers-43
05-01-2006, 10:14 AM
He's going to be sporting #10.

Here's his official welcoming to Pittsburgh

(The press conference).............http://kdka.com/video/?id=15779@kdka.dayport.com

Interview with Pompeani and Nelson http://kdka.com/video/?id=15748@kdka.dayport.com

shimmysteelerfan
05-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah.

I think once Reggie Bush fell to #2 the dominos started falling. I think Suit called a receiver in the first round.

I was pulling for LenDale White.

:iagree:

83-Steelers-43
05-01-2006, 10:52 AM
I went with WR, but I thought it would have been Moss.

pitt
05-01-2006, 11:01 AM
This was the best pick of the draft.

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I wanted us to move up and get Holmes, and said so many times, but I didn't dream it would actually happen.

I had Ko Simpson at #32 in my mock (who wound up being picked 105th in the 4th), so shows you how much I know about mock drafting:smile:

83-Steelers-43
05-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I give credit to Dulac and Labriola.

SteelerFanInCA
05-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Wow, I'm really looking forward to seeing him play along side Hines. I hope he is as good as all the hype says he is.

SteelerFanInCA
05-01-2006, 04:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgU6u07PHVg&search=ohio%20state
Thanks for the Video feed Prosdo. Man, that guy is super fast. I'd love to see him race fast Willie. That would be entertaining. Either way, I can see him blowing past defenders at the NFL level.

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I just got to watch it...but also proves why you need to be careful scheduling MAC teams in early September (and Marshall was still a MAC team in '04).

Holmes is pretty clutch, too.

Steel Pit
05-02-2006, 04:40 AM
I wanted us to move up and get Holmes, and said so many times, but I didn't dream it would actually happen.

I had Ko Simpson at #32 in my mock (who wound up being picked 105th in the 4th), so shows you how much I know about mock drafting:smile:

You probably know a lot more than you think. Every year during the NFL draft you can count on 3, 4, or 5 NFL teams to make bone headed-stupid a$$ moves which in turn allows the Steelers to grab a stud near the end of the round.

DJMD
05-02-2006, 09:12 PM
great pick, I still don't think they needed to trade up to get him. BUt nonetheless a good pick. If you told me before the draft started that we would get him, I would have been happy.