PDA

View Full Version : Holmes upset with Jets offensive coordinator

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Well so much for the new and improved Santonio Holmes not being a pain in the neck to deal with anymore:chuckle:

Holmes upset with Jets offensive coordinator

Santonio Holmes came back to Pittsburgh with a chance for revenge, to lead his new club past his old one en route to the Super Bowl.

But after his Jets' 24-19 AFC Championship loss, the only thing he was left with was anger -- seething over the loss, and seeming even angrier at offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Gang Green fell behind 24-3 in the first half, before Holmes' 45-yard touchdown catch sparked a huge second-half rally that fell short. But he'd been on the bench early in the game during the Jets' slow start. When asked about it, a visibly-vexed Holmes deflected all questions to Schottenheimer

"As you can see, I watched from the sideline the first couple plays, so I don't know," said Holmes.

When asked why he was on the sidelines and not in the game, Holmes replied: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what was the reason behind that.

"Ask Coach Schottenheimer. I just had to go with the gameplan. That's the way things were called, and that's what I had to do."

When asked whether the coaching staff had given him any indication in advance that he wouldn't be in the starting lineup, Holmes said: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what happened. He'll explain everything to you. I don't have an answer for that."

As an impending free agent, it begs the question of whether Holmes will be back. He spent four tempestuous seasons in Pittsburgh, known for making both big plays and big trouble.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/going_holmes_E6ZYoxmtArK6K7RVtfAN8M

tube517
01-24-2011, 09:18 AM
We got a new "Tone". Antonio Brown.

SeinfeldNut
01-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Well so much for the new and improved Santonio Holmes not being a pain in the neck to deal with anymore:chuckle:

Holmes upset with Jets offensive coordinator

Santonio Holmes came back to Pittsburgh with a chance for revenge, to lead his new club past his old one en route to the Super Bowl.

But after his Jets' 24-19 AFC Championship loss, the only thing he was left with was anger -- seething over the loss, and seeming even angrier at offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Gang Green fell behind 24-3 in the first half, before Holmes' 45-yard touchdown catch sparked a huge second-half rally that fell short. But he'd been on the bench early in the game during the Jets' slow start. When asked about it, a visibly-vexed Holmes deflected all questions to Schottenheimer

"As you can see, I watched from the sideline the first couple plays, so I don't know," said Holmes.

When asked why he was on the sidelines and not in the game, Holmes replied: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what was the reason behind that.

"Ask Coach Schottenheimer. I just had to go with the gameplan. That's the way things were called, and that's what I had to do."

When asked whether the coaching staff had given him any indication in advance that he wouldn't be in the starting lineup, Holmes said: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what happened. He'll explain everything to you. I don't have an answer for that."

As an impending free agent, it begs the question of whether Holmes will be back. He spent four tempestuous seasons in Pittsburgh, known for making both big plays and big trouble.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/going_holmes_E6ZYoxmtArK6K7RVtfAN8M

When its 24-3 and you have no running game, hard to keep throwing it to just one player and expect to move the ball down the field without having one of those passes picked off. Nice to send him home with a loss.

El Nino
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
locker room cancer. anyone else glad we got rid of him now?

SeinfeldNut
01-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Very happy about getting rid of him, now we have young WRS who just come to work and make the big plays.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-24-2011, 09:59 AM
He should be bitching more about Rex not calling for them to kick onside with 3minutes to go. And then burning all his timeouts prior to the 2minute warning destroying any chance of scoring had they got the ball back.

What is it with Wide Receivers being pissy, attention *****s? :doh:

4xSBChamps
01-24-2011, 10:00 AM

addition-through-subtraction

CargoJon
01-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Santonio should be more pissed he couldn't put down the reefer that led to his exit from the 'Burgh. Otherwise he may be going for ring #2 in 2 weeks.

TRH
01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Once again......great move for the Steelers getting rid of him and good move by Jets getting him. Winning decision on both sides.

sharkweek
01-24-2011, 10:33 AM

no, I don't remember him causing problems as a player when he was playing for us

he's mouthing off now because he's on a team that basically encourages mouthing off instead of being humble

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't know if he's more pissed off at his lack of opportunities or that he screwed the pooch here with us.

I'll bet he's doing a lot of "If I had only..." type of soul-searching this morning.

Playing for the Steelers may not be as colorful as playing for "Ringling Brothers", but it's a helluva lot more successful and has far greater opportunity for career advancement.

SteelHaven
01-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you Santonio for all you did in your career with the Steelers, you made one of the greatest catches in one of the biggest games in Steelers history. Your moving on worked out for the best, for both you and for the Steelers, never any hard feelings. You will always be remembered for all the good you did in a Steeler uniform. All the best Santonio Holmes :tt:

SteelCityMom
01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
They hate Schotty like we hate Arians. Most Jets fans are happy that Holmes basically called him out.

With that said, I'm glad we got rid of his ass.

Jetsfan115
01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
They hate Schotty like we hate Arians. Most Jets fans are happy that Holmes basically called him out.

With that said, I'm glad we got rid of his ass.

i don't know if anybody can hate their OC as much as jet fans hate schotty. i mean 1st and goal form the 2 in a must score a TD situation and he blew it.

tube517
01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't know if he's more pissed off at his lack of opportunities or that he screwed the pooch here with us.

I'll bet he's doing a lot of "If I had only..." type of soul-searching this morning.

Playing for the Steelers may not be as colorful as playing for "Ringling Brothers", but it's a helluva lot more successful and has far greater opportunity for career advancement.

Exactly. He was just pissed he couldn't get to the SB and had to eat it at Heinz Field

SteelCityMom
01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
i don't know if anybody can hate their OC as much as jet fans hate schotty. i mean 1st and goal form the 2 in a must score a TD situation and he blew it.

Oh believe me, it's abated a little bit this year...but there's a lot of Steelers fans who want to see that mans head (Arians) on a stick. They even gave him a website. :chuckle:

http://firebrucearians.com/

I know what you mean about the play calls though, we've dealt with that shit for 4 years now.

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Every fan who sits on their couch spilling beer and farting up the cushions thinks they know better than the guys who do it for a living.

It's been that way since they started playing this game and it will go on forever.

It's just the way it is.

SteelHaven
01-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Oh believe me, it's abated a little bit this year...but there's a lot of Steelers fans who want to see that mans head (Arians) on a stick. They even gave him a website. :chuckle:

I know what you mean about the play calls though, we've dealt with that shit for 4 years now.

I don't like Arians for the simple fact that he doesn't use a traditional FB. But if he wins a 2nd SB how can we then fathom our opinions or conclusions of him? He's one game away of proving us wrong again.

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't like Arians for the simple fact that he doesn't use a traditional FB. But if he wins a 2nd SB how can we then fathom our opinions or conclusions of him? He's one game away of proving us wrong again.

I dont like Arians because our offense consistently struggles to score points. We are as talented an offense as any in the league, yet we consistently rank near the middle of the league in points scored. Not to mention its not uncommon for our offense to struggle against bad defenses. The Bills for example.

Last night we looked good in the 1st half....we were running the ball down their throats and Arians actually stuck with it for once. In the 2nd half though the Jets adjusted and Arians had nothing to counter. It nearly cost us the game. All we really needed in the 2nd half was another 3 points. Yet offensively we imploded. That has to fall somewhat if not mostly on Arians shoulders. Yes Ben was having a bad game, but I thought we could have used some screens more then we did. We lost Pouncey yet we still tried to run up the middle. Sometimes you need to adjust to what has been given to you.

I was VERY happy not to see any stupid trick plays.

Set-Man
01-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Holmes is a great receiver and had a great superbowl for us 2 years ago. With that said his ego and mentality don't fit our system. He would have left this year anyway. Now we are back in the superbowl and he is at home.

As for Arians, he has good games and bad games in his play calling. Hopefully he has a good game called in the superbowl. Use more screens (to the outside)and slants. GB has a killer defense, and put up against our porous line, will make for a long day for BR. They have to have quick plays called up.

UF-Steeler
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I agree with you about Arians madtowndrunkard. He seems to have a hard time making good adjustments at half time. I am no OC, but you have to know the other team is going to adjust to what you're doing, why not change it around a bit?

I think Arians was extremely vanilla in the 2nd half last night. It was as if we were trying to just hold them the rest of the game and milk 30 minutes off the clock. It worked so I'm not complaining.

Jetsfan115
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah but your OC didn't try to make a 2nd year QB run an offense that tom brady would struggle in lol

Foreign Alphabet
01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Haha well santonio is right to be angry at our oc, but for all the wrong reasons.

Steelerfreak58
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
This is exactly why the Steeler organization let go of "its all about me" Santonio Holmes. They saw his attitude they tried to help him adjust and from all of his actions he basically said he wasn't going to make those changes. Bye bye Santonio wish you well on your journey in life.

SteelCityMom
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah but your OC didn't try to make a 2nd year QB run an offense that tom brady would struggle in lol

We'll never know lol. We had a better OC in Ben's second year. Arians didn't show up until Ben's 4th year.

Jetsfan115
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM

This is exactly why the Steeler organization let go of "its all about me" Santonio Holmes. They saw his attitude they tried to help him adjust and from all of his actions he basically said he wasn't going to make those changes. Bye bye Santonio wish you well on your journey in life.

our OC does suck though

harts
01-24-2011, 12:58 PM
You guys don't like Santonio
but I read that 3 times and to me Santonio didnt say anything bad

I thought releasing Santonio was kind of a double standard considering what Ben did
and it was real stupid to release him for a 5th round draft pick
but it is what it is

Santonio would have made our game easier yesterday
and if the Jets don't have Santonio are they even playing in the AFC championship?

Probably not

Santonio was the best WR on the field yesterday

I hope he comes back to the Steelers

If we can keep #7 we can welcome back Santonio

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 01:02 PM

I thought releasing Santonio was kind of a double standard considering what Ben did
but it is what it is

and if the Jets don't have Santonio are they even playing in the AFC championship?

Probably not

They had to do something with one of them otherwise they'd look as if they were running a halfway house for wayward adolescents.

Look, nobody is saying that there wasn't any politics involved in trading Santonio. But put yourself in the Rooney's shoes; you have two "trouble" situations and one involves a good wideout and the other involves your 100-million dollar, two-Super Bowl winning - "Mr. Clutch" franchise QB.

Wideouts are a dime a dozen but QB's like Ben come along once in a lifetime.

What the Rooney's ultimately did was the very definition of "No Brainer".

SteelHaven
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM

but it is what it is

Probably not

We entered the draft needing recievers after holmes departed and do keep in mind that if we had not let him go, Brown and Sanders would not be here today. This ended up perfect for us because these 2 recievers give us a future as well as depth at WR spot. Holmes alone did not give us depth. This was a win-win for all parties.. Holmes kinda let himself off the team by his actions but That doesn't take anything away for what he did here as a Steeler. And he fits well with New York

its all good:thumbsup:

OX1947
01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I never questioned the Rooney's getting rid of Santonio. Even if Wallace wasn't a stud, I would have understood, you cant keep having players do the things he was doing and not look like a hypocrite if you keep him because he was a great player. I just thought a 5th rounder was highway robbery. I wish they could have waited, maybe the crypt keeper would have thrown a 3rd rounder had they held on a little longer, who knows. But it worked out regardless. We have a future pro bowler at the 1 and 2 stud rookies at 2 and 3. Steelers have built some good karma over the years, they replace stars even when they aren't trying, hahahahahah...

harts
01-24-2011, 02:51 PM
They had to do something with one of them otherwise they'd look as if they were running a halfway house for wayward adolescents.

Look, nobody is saying that there wasn't any politics involved in trading Santonio. But put yourself in the Rooney's shoes; you have two "trouble" situations and one involves a good wideout and the other involves your 100-million dollar, two-Super Bowl winning - "Mr. Clutch" franchise QB.

Wideouts are a dime a dozen but QB's like Ben come along once in a lifetime.

What the Rooney's ultimately did was the very definition of "No Brainer".

to have to decide between QB and receiver of course QB comes first
but
if your organization is all about what's right vs winning

then Ben is playing somewhere else
#7 had the motorcycle accident, the thing with the other chick, and the thing in Georgia
3 strikes and your out supposedly

I thought Ben and Santonio were "hanged" by the media similar to the way Harrison was treated by the NFL

The Steelers IMO bowed to media pressure and Santonio was the scapegoat - Ben was more valuable and they put up a fight for him or risk losing too much

I still would keep Santonio over those 2 rookies
Santonio, Old Man Hines, AND Wallace is as good as a trio in the league
Hope he is a free agent and comes back

TRH
01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
to have to decide between QB and receiver of course QB comes first
but
if your organization is all about what's right vs winning

then Ben is playing somewhere else
#7 had the motorcycle accident, the thing with the other chick, and the thing in Georgia
3 strikes and your out supposedly

I thought Ben and Santonio were "hanged" by the media similar to the way Harrison was treated by the NFL

The Steelers IMO bowed to media pressure and Santonio was the scapegoat - Ben was more valuable and they put up a fight for him or risk losing too much

I still would keep Santonio over those 2 rookies
Santonio, Old Man Hines, AND Wallace is as good as a trio in the league
Hope he is a free agent and comes back

There was ALOT more to releasing him than just the "pot arrest". There was a huge list of legal and attitude-related problems, i believe someone posted most of it somewhere here just last week.
No way i would want Holmes back here, and i'm sure the front office feels the same way.
Also....i thought Braylon Edwards made more crucial catches than Holmes yesterday. To me, he was the best Jets receiver yesterday.