PDA

View Full Version : Y didnt we take White?

Volpe1564
04-29-2006, 06:03 PM
i think it was they thought WR was a bigger need. but i cant help but think it has something to do with the drug test thing....anyone else?

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 06:07 PM
i think it was they thought WR was a bigger need. but i cant help but think it has something to do with the drug test thing....anyone else? had to have been. bettis is harder to replace than el but white probably wants to go to a team and be "the man". that just isnt happening in pittsburgh.
no reason to risk him being the next r. williams.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 06:08 PM
The organization had a WR or RB targeted all along. we have more depth, experienced and talented depth at RB as far as Willie and Duce and Verron..but after Hines, there is a bit of a drop off in talent, so Holmes is a good choice for us. We'll take a RB too, I have little doubt of that, but the steelers dont usually draft RB's high so the fact that they were considering Lendale is a big deal in itself, but at this time, in a weak WR class, Santonio was the better choice, IMO.

You can always find talent at RB in later rounds, we've proven that as well as everybody else.

Volpe1564
04-29-2006, 06:09 PM
no reason to risk him being the next r. williams.

LOL...smoking dope with Ghandi?? :funny:

rgleason
04-29-2006, 06:12 PM
He might smoke dope, but he probably knows how to spell Ghandi.

Volpe1564
04-29-2006, 06:14 PM
i gotta buy a spell checker ;)

DIESELMAN
04-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah his character was a big question mark, to many negs and doubts, theres still a few good RB's left to be had later that will be a good fit. I'm glad we took Santonio we needed a deep threat for Big Ben with his arm and getting better every season LOOK OUT!!!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2006, 06:22 PM
I was upset about the pick at first. But thinking it over I looked at our depth at RB, compared to our depth at WR. Holmes fills a greater need on our offense, will give us a chance to open our running game up for fast willie parker and give ben another target on the field. Lendale would have been great but I now believe holmes is better for the team.
I do believe that the steelers will pick up a back later in the draft, but in the first round. We filled our biggest hole... WARD. Wilson. Morgan. Washington.....Holmes will be a number 2 by middle of 2006 season. and i hope washington will be 3

Haiku_Dirtt
04-29-2006, 06:38 PM
i think it was they thought WR was a bigger need. but i cant help but think it has something to do with the drug test thing....anyone else?

Well the Titans are upping the ante.

LenDale White is going to be a touchdown machine.

Addai before White will be one of the bigger blunders in the draft.

Now Vince and LenDale can team up against Team Bush who is starting to come off like Kobe Bryant.

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 06:57 PM
i still say jerome is harder to relace than randle el. jerome was a td machine. so was lendale. no telling what type of masking agent lendale was busted for. with the amount of stock his has plummeted i guess we dont need one shipping pounds of weed to compensate for draft day money lost. not to bust on lendale, im just disappointed these draft day allegations had to surface. steelers will always take the character guy over talent.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 07:12 PM
I really believe that this was for Ben, we all thought with our offensive style that we were going RB all the way. Ben has lost Plax, and El in the last two season, they owe him somebody to go to for along time. These two can put some history together. And I think our offensive philosphy is changing. I think Holmes was for BEN!

Volpe1564
04-29-2006, 07:28 PM
ok now they traded off the 2nd for 2 third rounders.....man i hope they take a DE and RB soon....lol

Mosca
04-29-2006, 07:30 PM
LenDale White is going to be Greg Hawthorne.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 07:39 PM
ok now they traded off the 2nd for 2 third rounders.....man i hope they take a DE and RB soon....lol

S, DE, RB, or LB.. now that we have 2 picks, we saved some money come salary cap time by getting them later in the day, and hopefully can fill 2 areas of depth w/ quality players at a good price. S and LB is my guess the more I ponder this, but as tony mentioned in another post, there isnt that much available in the 3rd round for RB's that is that much better then what we can get on Day 2.

silver2000svt
04-29-2006, 08:35 PM
He wasn't even the best running back available at the time... If we went running back at that point, it would have been D'Angelo Williams, who will be an absolute STUD in the NFL

Avoid Lloyd
04-29-2006, 11:26 PM
He wasn't even the best running back available at the time... If we went running back at that point, it would have been D'Angelo Williams, who will be an absolute STUD in the NFL

His style reminds me of Eddie George.

I think it's fairly obvious that we passed on White based on his character.

Stlrs4Life
04-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Heaered that he got busted Friday with a non substanince drug. Whatever that means.

Volpe1564
04-30-2006, 01:57 PM
masking agent? prolly something to help loose weight?

BCEDGE
04-30-2006, 06:36 PM
LenDale White is going to be Greg Hawthorne.

What a cheap shot at Greg Hawthorne...he never did anything to you and u insult him like that!!!!!!

SteelerzGirl
04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
And I think our offensive philosphy is changing. I think Holmes was for BEN!

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Cleve. This year's draft is kinda making me think that the Steelers aren't going to rely on the running game quite as much as they have in the past. We now have huge weapons in Ben and our WR corp, although we do need to have an effective running game and I'm worried about it. It's both exciting and scary at the same time. We shall see how it all pans out.

I think the Steelers may have thought White was too problematic.

rowedf
04-30-2006, 07:39 PM
No way is our philosophy changing .... because we took a WR 1st and 3rd ? Holmes and Reid are good players but nothing to say "we are chaning our philosophy over" Our WR core was NOT deep, it had a lot of mediocore talent and this draft upgraded that depth and talent. I think the Steelers were tickled pink they were able to get Holmes. I think he was probably the guy the wanted the most out of the guys there and were shocked he lasted to the 25th pick. IMO it's a no brainer when you compare trading up for Holmes or White. I would have been happy with either or in the first round, but if they would have taken White while Holme was still available ...I would have been really shocked. The guys a GOOD receiver.

SteelCityMan786
04-30-2006, 08:02 PM

White jad problems with Character

Midnightwriter07
04-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Possibly he did, but wathcing him play makes me wonder in 5 years as he is ripping off 5 yards a carry and Holmes is cathing 30 balls a year if was a mistake that will bite us in the ass down the road. I am not a big fan of Wr inthe first round because it doesnt seem like they work out all that well compared to receivers taken later. I like Holmes and gives us speed and the ability to go down field more. Hopefuly will work out and White will be a bust and will be a mute point.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2006, 09:27 PM
White had problems with self discipline too, from what Ive heard during the draft. He let himself get WAY out of shape while he was injured w/ the hamstring. That shows a lack of committment, especially close to the draft.

We dont need him now, we've got Humes !

Big D
05-03-2006, 07:48 AM
why didnt we take white i have a feeling the name byron "bam" morris crossed cowhers mind

shimmysteelerfan
05-03-2006, 01:39 PM
White had problems with self discipline too, from what Ive heard during the draft. He let himself get WAY out of shape while he was injured w/ the hamstring. That shows a lack of committment, especially close to the draft.

We dont need him now, we've got Humes !

I agree on the self disicipline thing, also he just doesnt seem like he would fit in with our boys any ways.

Ohio Steeler
05-03-2006, 02:02 PM
When will this why did we take white talk stop, the draft is over we took Holmes as the 1st pick, so lets move on and start talking about Holmes and the up coming year.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
I wanted White, then i found out that he tested positive for a banned substance probably weed...the steelers don't like people who defy the law nor people who would risk their carrers to enjoy somthing like that. If they would risk their carrers then why would they care what the steelers think. I was against white at that point.

Weed makes people lose their work ethic, i'm not saying that it was because of weed, im just saying that its worth noting.