PDA

View Full Version : BS measurement call by Ryan

plenewken
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
This is the second week in a row that a HC calls for a measurement, just to slow down the Steelers progression.
Last week it was Harbaugh, this week it's Ryan. In both instances, the ball wasn't anywhere near the marker and it was just for the Ravens and Jets to substitute personel on the field. WTF?
I hope the Rules Committee looks at this BS practice in the off-season and at least charges a TO, if not measure only if it comes from the ref himself or if the HC challenges the spot.

tube517
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Smart move by the fat guy, IMHO.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Smart move by the coaches obviously, but it was BS the refs did it on request. Refs don't have to measure it if the coach of the opposing team wants it measured.

plenewken
01-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Smart move by the coaches obviously, but it was BS the refs did it on request. Refs don't have to measure it if the coach of the opposing team wants it measured.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the HC of the defensive team can do it but not the HC of the team who has the ball?

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Smart move by the fat guy, IMHO.

Exactly and I would have done the very same thing.

plenewken
01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Exactly and I would have done the very same thing.

I'm not saying it's not smart, I'm saying the way it is now, it's a free time out and this is what I have a problem with. A team could have as many time outs as they want using this trick.

MDSteel15
01-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the HC of the defensive team can do it but not the HC of the team who has the ball?

If it's as obvious as that was that it wasn't a first down that refs can refuse to do a measurement...

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm not saying it's not smart, I'm saying the way it is now, it's a free time out and this is what I have a problem with. A team could have as many time outs as they want using this trick.

OK, so what about the fake injuries or pointless challenges designed to slow down another team? It's called gamesmanship and it's just as much a part of the sport as the X's and O's.

SteelHaven
01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
No excuses.

plenewken
01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
If it's as obvious as that was that it wasn't a first down that refs can refuse to do a measurement...

OK, makes sense. What doesn't make sense then is why they measured since the ball was 1 yd short of the marker. Ochuli needs glasses.
I'd like to see a rule like icing in hockey. On an icing call, the team who ices the puck can't substitute players. Here, the Jets shouldn't have been allowed to substitute players or if they want to substitute, then they have to call a time out.

Jetsfan115
01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
It was a smart move and fully within the rules to do so

plenewken
01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
OK, so what about the fake injuries or pointless challenges designed to slow down another team? It's called gamesmanship and it's just as much a part of the sport as the X's and O's.

To me, there's a big difference between an injury, even if it's greatly exaggerated and a measurement.
What gets me is, it's always the same teams who resort to this sh*t and their HCs are the biggest whinners. Teams respecting the spirit of the game don't need this crap.

CargoJon
01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
We won. Let the Jets fans spend the offseason complaining. I'm looking forward to Feb 6th.

SteelHaven
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
To me, there's a big difference between an injury, even if it's greatly exaggerated and a measurement.
What gets me is, it's always the same teams who resort to this sh*t and their HCs are the biggest whinners. Teams respecting the spirit of the game don't need this crap.

I'm more annoyed with the Jets starting fights at the line the last 3 snaps. I mean its fine if you want to swat the ball but resorting to that... but hey they are a reflection of their coach.

Call Ryan what you want but what he did on that drive was a smart coaching decision and that proved to me that he is a good coach. I may not like his style and how his players represent him.. but when it comes to x's and o's and situational on the field coaching the guy is a good

steelax04
01-24-2011, 12:41 PM

It's not a free timeout. The clock starts running after the chains are back on the sidelines.

GameTime55
01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
It's not a free timeout. The clock starts running after the chains are back on the sidelines.

However, literally speaking..Time is stopped so taht it actually prevents Pittsburgh from going into the next play. It looked an awful lot Ben was trying to get them up to the line quickly and catch the Jets off guard.

So in essence it prevented Ben from doing something clever in terms of calling a quick snap QB sneak or something that wjould have benefitted the Steelers on the premise of some kind of no huddle quick snap play.

FanSince72
01-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Yes but it's just a tactic to slow down the momentum.

The look on Ben's face said it all: "Oh crap, we were ready to jam it down their throats and they call for a measurement". He looked like a magician who just realized that the crowd figured out the trick.

Look at it another way: If it was the Jets that were gaining momentum and the same situation presented itself to Tomlin, don't you think he'd want to slow THEM down a bit and do the same thing?

MikeHaullace
01-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Against the Jets, about 2 minutes into the 2nd, Steelers were trying to go hurry-up, almost set at the line to probably punch it through on 4th and 1 at about the Jets' 30.

I felt like the measurement timeout was called to slow the Steelers' momentum. No way was there reason to stop for measurement there. I saw it. The crowd saw it. Ben knew it.

It was weird because Hochuli signaled the 4th down, they were getting set, then Hochuli had some sort of panic about him and whistled for a measurement. He proceeded to get boo'ed by everyone in the stadium when the measurement showed the ball was about 3 feet short. His body language seemed to reflect the BS game stopage.

Rarely have I ever seen a measurement so far from being close.

What did you see and how did you feel? It seemed peculiar to me. What say you? Am I looking too much into it?

steelerohio
01-27-2011, 01:22 AM
At that moment I just felt like "WOW!"

ZoneBlitzer
01-27-2011, 01:40 AM
I screamed at the TV. I've heard rumblings that Rex called for it. It was the dumbest measurement I have ever seen in my life.

tony hipchest
01-27-2011, 02:14 AM
i felt hungry.

so i quickly got up and grabbed some nachos and a beer, and then went and took a piss.

and miraculously life went on without a second thought about the situation. :noidea:

FWIW i ate the nachos and the hunger subsided (just incase anyone is intereszzted and would like to diszzcus on the internetzz messzzageboardzzzz).

MikeHaullace
01-27-2011, 02:21 AM
i felt hungry.

so i quickly got up and grabbed some nachos and a beer, and then went and took a piss.

and miraculously life went on without a second thought about the situation. :noidea:

FWIW i ate the nachos and the hunger subsided (just incase anyone is intereszzted and would like to diszzcus on the internetzz messzzageboardzzzz).

http://i.imgur.com/uujDZ.gif

MattsMe
01-27-2011, 02:22 AM
:sofunny:

I'm more interested in the beer. You failed to mention feeling any thirst, yet you chose to get a beer while in the kitchen.

Was this situational drinking, or do you script your game time refreshments ahead of time?

I was puzzled for a moment, and then realized that Ryan must have asked for it. I figured it was a smart move. Then I blinked or something, and forgot all about it.

tony hipchest
01-27-2011, 02:32 AM
no need to get all butt-hurt and defensive haullie.

if you cant handle the answer, dont ask the question in the form of a thread.

MikeHaullace
01-27-2011, 02:37 AM
no need to get all butt-hurt and defensive haullie.

if you cant handle the answer, dont ask the question in the form of a thread.

Oh? Is that all that was? Just an excuse to use butt-hurt against me?

Because otherwise, it had absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

ZoneBlitzer actually answered the unasked question of "WHY IN THE HELL DID THEY MEASURE WHEN IT WAS SO FRIGGIN FAR OFF??!?!?"

That said, if Ryan indeed influenced the decision, why wasn't it officially challenged, and subsequently, why was NY not charged with a timeout?

It just doesn't add up.

DoctorCAD
01-27-2011, 07:51 AM
No different than the "injuries" that the Jets used against the Pats* hurry-up offense the week before. A perfectly legal, but cheap way to stop an offense. Well within the rules.

Godell will probably ban the practice since it affected the Pats* chance at going to the AFC Championship game.

plenewken
01-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I started a thread about it Monday and the opinions vary. Mine is that a BS measurement like this should cost a TO to the team who requests it. The ball was 1 yd from the marker, c'mon!