PDA

View Full Version : *Update* Pouncey with broken bone; Smith likely out

finesward
01-23-2011, 10:45 PM
We kept him this long, I sure hope he is able to contribute come Feb. 6th.

I'm sure it would be extra special for the team to see him on the field starting. Not a knock on Ziggy at all, he should get plenty of reps if not the majority if he's still not 100% but to see 91 getting back after an otherwise season ending injury would be special. I'm not sure if he's a lock to play again next year, another ring might give him more incentive to call it a career.

Thoughts?

Steel-Bryan
01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
So will he play in the superbowl or what? whats your guys opinions...

mcg24
01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Ohhhh let's not start this again. Ziggy has been brilliant, it's not like we have Todd Collins in at QB and we are trying to get Tom Brady back in.

El Nino
01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
some rotation to keep our big guys up front will be helpful. i dont think he should be named starter over ziggy though.

sarahpalinhater
01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Nobody loves Smith here more then me. But to start him at less then 100 %, which he will be would be a SLAP in the face to Ziggy, and the team as well.

jjpro11
01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Ziggy deserves the start.. he came of age and helped lead this defense to where they are today. i am fine with Smith rotating in if he is healthy, but Ziggy deserves to start and play the most snaps.

JCPsteelers
01-23-2011, 10:52 PM
If Aaron can play it would be a big help. But yeah I would keep Ziggy as the starter.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Unless they give Smith a one rep start out of respect, which would be highly unlike what the Steelers do and potentially a slap to Ziggy along with something I would not do. Smith should've seen his last start with the Steelers back in week 6. Ziggy has played nothing short of phenominal over the last 6 weeks.

grward
01-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Ohhhh let's not start this again. Ziggy has been brilliant, it's not like we have Todd Collins in at QB and we are trying to get Ben Roethlisberger back in.

Uhhhhh ... Brady is Gay. I fixed your post for you.

tube517
01-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Thank you.

Uhhhhh ... Brady is Gay. I fixed your post for you.

SeinfeldNut
01-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Keep Ziggy as the starter, would not want to risk Smith getting hurt and getting re injured again. I just hope we can win and get him a ring.

verks36
01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey guys can anyone give an update on some of the injuries we have and if they will be able to play in the superbowl?

Pouncey
Smith
B-Mac
Ben looked like he got a little banged up

GameTime55
01-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for starting this verks36. I ws just about to.

The activity here is hard to keep up with and I dont know if anyone has posted something already.

Regardless, they are all integral pieces to the mission but I am more anxious to know about Pouncey. Great ball player who played superb all season. Would love to see him have the opportunity ..but in the same breath if he cant go ..dont jeopardize a great future.

Lets see what comes out of the medical staff and whats the diagnosis.

UF-Steeler
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
If it is just an ankle sprain Pouncey may be back. I know he dealt with the injury at Florida one season and bounced back a week later. I guess it really matters how bad it is. I just hope he can play because he plays an integral part in protecting Ben.

GameTime55
01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=67882

I just saw this as well posted here on SF

and thanks UF-Steeler

verks36
01-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks for starting this verks36. I ws just about to.

The activity here is hard to keep up with and I dont know if anyone has posted something already.

Regardless, they are all integral pieces to the mission but I am more anxious to know about Pouncey. Great ball player who played superb all season. Would love to see him have the opportunity ..but in the same breath if he cant go ..dont jeopardize a great future.

Lets see what comes out of the medical staff and whats the diagnosis.

I think that most people might think that pouncey would be the key injury we have to worry about but honestly I think it is Mcfadden. We all know the packers are going to do one thing on offense. If we are going to have any chance at stopping the packers passing game B-Mac is going to have to be 100% and play a great game. Gay played well against sanchez but I dont know if he would play as well against Rodgers

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Hopefully the 2 week break until the next game will help McFadden and Troy heal

As for Pouncey, that looked like a brutal sprain but I recall Max Starks looked to be in bad shape as well after his high ankle sprain in week one - all sparains are different but does anyone recall how long Starks was out after his week one injury?

OL has been falling apart all season

fer522
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
even if he plays for a few downs
just seeing him get on that field
the fans in the stadium would go crazy

Buddha Bus
01-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Ziggy should definitely start, but it would be sweet to have Smith as insurance and as rotation.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Tomlin said Ziggy earned his starting spot. Even if Smith was 100% he would not start, but having Smith rotating with Ziggy would great

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Yeah Smith has already started in 2 SB's. Let him get some plays, but the start goes to Ziggy.

43Hitman
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, Ziggy should definitely start, but it would be sweet to have Smith as insurance and as rotation.

Same here. Who wouldn't want that stud in rotation? :tt03:

steeltheone
01-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Same here. Who wouldn't want that stud in rotation? :tt03:

I'll stick with the 26 year old...Go Ziggy

steelax04
01-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Tomlin said Ziggy earned his starting spot. Even if Smith was 100% he would not start, but having Smith rotating with Ziggy would great

If Smith is able to play, this is probably what will happen. Keep them both fresh for the whole game... that'd be very nice.

Shea
01-24-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't think it will happen, but if Aaron is cleared to be healthy and 100% then he should start over Ziggy.

Not to take away from what Zig did this season, but Aaron has been doing it for years and is the best at his position in the league and that trumps anything the "rook" has done.

Aaron has more than earned it, year after year, and he shouldn't be pushed aside due to a good performance from a new player in the league.

He's more than earned it and this is and should still be his time and place. Ziggy's will come later.

Danny136200
01-24-2011, 09:13 PM
some rotation to keep our big guys up front will be helpful. i dont think he should be named starter over ziggy though.
No, I think Ziggy should start, he has been playing admirably. A good rotation should be put into place though.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post, I thought you said Aaron should start over Ziggy.

Shea
01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
No, I think Ziggy should start, he has been playing admirably. A good rotation should be put into place though.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post, I thought you said Aaron should start over Ziggy.

No again.

If Aaron is healthy enough to be cleared to play then that is his spot and position as it should be due to his play for the last upteen years. He's a HOF player in my opinion although unfortunately that won't be the case due to the 3-4 system the Steelers employ therefore driving up the linebackers stats and not his, but ironically those linebacker stats wouldn't come about without what happens up front on the defensive line and his dominance in the trenches.

Ziggy's time will come. But it's not his yet. Don't forget so easily what Aaron has done guys. :banging:

steeltheone
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
No again.

If Aaron is healthy enough to be cleared to play then that is his spot and position as it should be due to his play for the last upteen years. He's a HOF player in my opinion although unfortunately that won't be the case due to the 3-4 system the Steelers employ therefore driving up the linebackers stats and not his, but ironically those linebacker stats wouldn't come about without what happens up front on the defensive line and his dominance in the trenches.

Ziggy's time will come. But it's not his yet. Don't forget so easily what Aaron has done guys. :banging:

I don't forget what any Steeler has done....This is now...we set records with Smith NOT playing.....36 is too old to not play in 5 months then just step in....Ziggys time is now...

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't forget what any Steeler has done....This is now...we set records with Smith NOT playing.....36 is too old to not play in 5 months then just step in....Ziggys time is now...

I agree, not with the too old but Smith has missed a lot of games and Ziggy has filled in admirably. If it were 2 to 3 games yes you get your starting postion back. You dance with the one who brought you there. Unless Smith were 100 percent and Ziggy was underperforming which is not the case.

Shea
01-24-2011, 10:50 PM

Aaron was injured.

If he is fully healthy, then he should be the starter in the Super Bowl.

Injury is a factor, age isn't.

I'm embarrassed for the people here dismissing, and not paying proper due and appreciation to Aaron for what he has done year in and year out on the front line of defense year after ****ing year. How sad and easily it seems to be forgotten. It's actually embarrassing as a fan.

He's been ignored by the NFL for what he has accomplished and achieved during his career, but always thought Steeler fans knew. Guess not and that is seriously sad.

Ziggy's day will come, but this is still Aaron's territory and game.

AS IT SHOUD BE.

Merchant
01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
One thing people are forgetting is the leadership Smith brings. With him in the huddle the defenses swagger is unmatched. The discussion of who should start is very open to debate, but I think if Smith is 90%+ healthy, he should get the nod. It's similar to what happened at the beginning of the season; our backups did an admirable role filing in for Ben - Batch had a fantastic game against Tampa - but once Ben was able to come back there was no question as to who the starter was. Smith and Troy are the most important players on this defense. Ziggy should definitely get a lot of reps, but Smith should get the nod to start.

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 11:48 PM
One thing people are forgetting is the leadership Smith brings. With him in the huddle the defenses swagger is unmatched. The discussion of who should start is very open to debate, but I think if Smith is 90%+ healthy, he should get the nod. It's similar to what happened at the beginning of the season; our backups did an admirable role filing in for Ben - Batch had a fantastic game against Tampa - but once Ben was able to come back there was no question as to who the starter was. Smith and Troy are the most important players on this defense. Ziggy should definitely get a lot of reps, but Smith should get the nod to start.

you make a good point assuming Smith is healthy. The last thing you want to is be less productive just for sentimental reasons, especially in the biggest game of year. Will he be in game shape. I trust Tomlin and especially Lebeau to make that decision.

Fire Haley
01-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Ziggy has come up big lately and you don't want to mess with the mojo on D.

I don't know how effective Aaron Smith would be after 3 months without playing, but hey - it would be great to see him suited up and ready to play anyway

JackHammer
01-25-2011, 05:40 AM
I'll stick with the 26 year old...Go Ziggy

Well I'm not sure who that 26 year old is since Ziggy is 23.........

pete74
01-25-2011, 05:52 AM
i would never pull Hood for Smith in the super bowl even if Smith was 100% which he definatly wont be. Hood held that position down all year and was a major piece in our defensive sucess this season. how could you just take him out for the biggest game of his life when he helped you get there? he is a big reason why we had the 5th best rush defense of all time.

Smith is a great player but thats Hood's position this year. a rotation like we had at the begining of the year would be great but no way would i start Smith and leave Hood on that bench after all he did for us

JackHammer
01-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Aaron was injured.

If he is fully healthy, then he should be the starter in the Super Bowl.

Injury is a factor, age isn't.

I'm embarrassed for the people here dismissing, and not paying proper due and appreciation to Aaron for what he has done year in and year out on the front line of defense year after ****ing year. How sad and easily it seems to be forgotten. It's actually embarrassing as a fan.

He's been ignored by the NFL for what he has accomplished and achieved during his career, but always thought Steeler fans knew. Guess not and that is seriously sad.

Ziggy's day will come, but this is still Aaron's territory and game.

AS IT SHOUD BE.

Injury and age are both factors. Ziggy is playing at a high level and you cannot expect a 36 year old Smith to just jump into the SB, after months of sitting, instantly be in game shape and then play at as high a level as Ziggy is playing right now. And that's all after you assume that he's even 100% recovered, which is HIGHLY unlikely. Steelers fans know what Smith has meant to this franchise, but we're not all so ignorant as to act like he's close enough to game shape to even consider starting him over someone who's playing like Hood is. If Smith was able to make the rotation last week or the week before and had a game or two to get his legs back, then you start him in the SB, no question. That's not the case though, so him starting is highly unlikely. Just because some of us are able to accept the reality of the situation doesn't mean we're not paying "proper due" to Smith, or that we're dismissing him.

finesward
01-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Whether he starts can be debated, whether he plays if healthy shouldn't be. This isn't a guy who has been laying around for months. He's been working out, getting his cardio, and should be in shape to play. He's not exactly a pursuit ILB or anything. What I'd like to see is a DEEP rotation, with ziggy getting some rep's @ NT on passing downs when hampton comes out. Play both of em or mix up some new looks. It's like getting a new leggo to play with, I just want to see him contribute.

deathrow821
01-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Hopefully the 2 week break until the next game will help McFadden and Troy heal

As for Pouncey, that looked like a brutal sprain but I recall Max Starks looked to be in bad shape as well after his high ankle sprain in week one - all sparains are different but does anyone recall how long Starks was out after his week one injury?

OL has been falling apart all season

Our O-line has been getting hurt, but I've been pretty impressed by the guys who stepped in, like Doug Legursky and Jonathon Scott. Our line looked really good run blocking against the Jets with backups. Now we get the 18th rated rush defense. I hope our backups keep this up because Mendenhall should have a big game.

verks36
01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Our O-line has been getting hurt, but I've been pretty impressed by the guys who stepped in, like Doug Legursky and Jonathon Scott. Our line looked really good run blocking against the Jets with backups. Now we get the 18th rated rush defense. I hope our backups keep this up because Mendenhall should have a big game.

It may be the 18th ranked ran defense but what about clay mathews. He is a beast at rushing the passer. Almost reminds me of Harrison only maybe a little better.

steeltheone
01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Well I'm not sure who that 26 year old is since Ziggy is 23.........

Damn......your right. And he didnt come out early!

steeltheone
01-25-2011, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Merchant;906833]One thing people are forgetting is the leadership Smith brings. With him in the huddle the defenses swagger is unmatched. The discussion of who should start is very open to debate, but I think if Smith is 90%+ healthy, he should get the nod. It's similar to what happened at the beginning of the season; our backups did an admirable role filing in for Ben - Batch had a fantastic game against Tampa - but once Ben was able to come back there was no question as to who the starter was. Smith and Troy are the most important players on this defense. Ziggy should definitely get a lot of reps, but Smith should get the nod to start.[/QUOT

Now you know we won those first 3 by Defense and our passing game was bad. When Smith left our Defense got better and set records. I know Smith was good. But at this point he is far from the most important on our Defense. 14-4 and in the Super Bowl pretty much shows that. It would be nice if he could be there for depth.

pete74
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
whoever the coach thinks can do a better job at helping the team win should start. i dont care if its a rookie LB and we have to bench Harrison, whoever is the better player and gives the team the best chance of winning should start

tanda10506
01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
I think they should give Hood the start but rotate Smith in for Hood and Keisel now and then. Keep the ends fresh. Might not be a big deal, but if we keep our DE's fresh against there tackles that have played all game, that should be somewhat of an advantage.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
The only precedent the Steelers really have is Rod Woodson, who I think most of us will agree is better and more legendary than Aaron Smith. Even he did not start in Super Bowl XXX.

Kanata-Steeler
01-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Smith probably won't play -even with all his experience, missing these many games ? it'll be a judgement call by Tomlin... but obviously having Aaron available if Ziggy god-forbid gets hurt is still a definite advantage all in all.

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey guys can anyone give an update on some of the injuries we have and if they will be able to play in the superbowl?

Pouncey

This was in the RSS feeds section - does not sound good

Pouncey in hard cast, on crutches, not happy

Jim Wexell of Steel City Insider (Steelers' Scout site) tweeted Wednesday that Pouncey was "on crutches in a cast."

Even less appealing for Pittsburgh fans -- Wexell noted that Pouncey "doesn't know when he's going to get off" the crutches and "didn't want to talk about" his injury.

The follow-up to that was that it "appeared to be a hard cast" and it "didn't look good."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27258458?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

Ruh-roh

tony hipchest
01-26-2011, 12:34 PM
rich gannon just reported this on sirius. its not a typical stabilizing "air cast".

but lets hope it is just for extra precaution so he doesnt tweak it.

saw the replay several times and it looks so nasty.

but i remember seeing kobe bryant touch his ankle to the court in the playoffs years ago. i was certain he was done, and suited up the next game.

pouncey is young, dumb, and full of gumption. lets hope he can take a needle and grind it out.

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Guys sorry but, Pouncey was reported to have a low grade 1 high ankle sprain with no structural damage. This was not even close to the Ankle sprain that Flozell had after the 2nd Baltimore game, and he cameback and played the next week against Cincy. To be in a Hard cast makes no sense at all if there was no structural damage, and I know cause I have worked in the medical field as it goes to rehabing injuries like this. In fact, a Hard cast would only slow down the recovery time of ANY Sprained Ankle. Bottom line is, some people are " Tough " ( Like Flozell )...while others are just another version of " Jay Cutler ( Pouncey )

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Guys sorry but, Pouncey was reported to have a low grade 1 high ankle sprain with no structural damage. This was not even close to the Ankle sprain that Flozell had after the 2nd Baltimore game, and he cameback and played the next week against Cincy. To be in a Hard cast makes no sense at all if there was no structural damage, and I know cause I have worked in the medical field as it goes to rehabing injuries like this. In fact, a Hard cast would only slow down the recovery time of ANY Sprained Ankle. Bottom line is, some people are " Tough " ( Like Flozell )...while others are just another version of " Jay Cutler ( Pouncey )

So are you saying Pouncey asked to have a cast put on that is not medicallly necessary, is this just more of your "sarcasm" regarding Pouncey, or is it possible you simply do not know what you are talking about when it comes to Pouncey's injury status?

I think this thread is intended to be for injury updates rather than trolling, but maybe the mods can confirm that and deal with your posting accordingly

SteelCityMom
01-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Stephania Bell on Pouncey's ankle sprain
January, 26, 2011
By James Walker

Despite suffering a left high ankle sprain in the AFC title game, Pittsburgh Steelers rookie center Maurkice Pouncey seems extremely confident he will be ready for Super Bowl XLV on Feb. 6 against the Green Bay Packers. But in our experience -- most recently with the quarterbacks of the Cleveland Browns -- this injury has kept players sidelined for about a month.

So the AFC North blog checked in with ESPN medical expert Stephania Bell to get some insight on whether Pouncey recovering in half the time is possible or a pipedream for the Steelers.

Stephania, let's start with what exactly is a high ankle sprain and why it's more severe than regular ankle sprains?

Bell: It's really where the injury is located. The most common ankle sprain, for instance if you're playing pickup basketball, is when you roll your ankle. Someone goes up to the basket, shoots, lands usually on another player's foot and turns an ankle. The foot points in and all that stress goes to the outside of the ankle and that injures the ligaments down where the ankle attaches to the foot. With a high ankle sprain, the mechanism is different. It's often that the foot is planted and the player's leg gets twisted around. And what happens is it damages the ligaments that are basically at the top of the ankle joint. These are the ligaments that form the roof of the ankle joint where the two lower leg bones connect -- the tibia and the fibula. Those two bones are anchored by ligaments and it helps form the top of the ankle joint. So when those two ligaments are damaged, that's called a high ankle sprain.

Pouncey is confident he can come back in two weeks from this injury. What's been your experience?

Bell: Usually we give an estimate of four to six weeks for a high ankle sprain of the moderate variety. A severe one could take much longer. But you do have some evidence of guys coming back sooner. If you look at [Houston Texans receiver] Andre Johnson, he said he had a high ankle sprain. He later had problems because he tried to push through it, but Johnson was able to play sooner on a less than 100 percent ankle. I think when you look into the context of two weeks, it's the Super Bowl, and Pouncey doesn't have gross instability or a fracture based on what we know. So it will come down to whether the Steelers get the pain down enough and the swelling down enough that Pouncey can have normal motion in the joint and put pressure through the foot. One of the challenges of a high ankle sprain is every time you weight bear or put pressure over the foot, it puts stress right on those injured ligaments. The good news for Pouncey is he doesn't have to go running down the field. In his case, his position helps him. But perhaps the biggest risk is somebody could land on that ankle or twist it again.

Does Pouncey's age at 21 help at all in this recovery process?

Bell: Yes, in one sense we always feel you heal a little bit faster the younger you are. But also Pouncey hasn't had the same extensive career to have multiple injuries, which then often make it harder to heal. It's all of those variables that factor into it. It's the extent of the injury and how well he heals. We see just in terms of swelling after injury, some people will swell a lot and some don't swell so much. And Pouncey having the experience of having a similar injury [right high ankle sprain in college] and coming back quickly certainly helps.

So there you have it from ESPN medical expert Stephania Bell. Pouncey returning to the Steelers for Super Bowl XLV is not impossible but will certainly be a challenge. We will keep you posted on Pouncey's rehabilitation process until the Super Bowl.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/23902/stephania-bell-on-pounceys-ankle-sprain

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 02:17 PM
So are you saying Pouncey asked to have a cast put on that is not medicallly necessary, is this just more of your "sarcasm" regarding Pouncey, or is it possible you simply do not know what you are talking about when it comes to Pouncey's injury status?

I think this thread is intended to be for injury updates rather than trolling, but maybe the mods can confirm that and deal with your posting accordingly

Dan, you're way off base. What I am saying is that maybe the info that the team gave us was a lie. Cause what I CAN tell you is that if a ankle sprain, even a High ankle sprain is deemed a level-1 mile Sprain, and has no inner structural damage, yes I CAN tell you that a Hrad cast would never be put on it cause it limits the air flow. And air flow is one of natures fastest healers. Now maybe they have found something else after the fact. In some Ankle sprains, at first look, a serious shin injury can develope afterwards. It's rare, but it can happen. Now in that case usually a hard cast IS placed on the Ankle to prevent the shin from getting Infected. But really Dan at this point I just don't know. But I love Pouncey. And I was being some what sarcastic when I said he could be looked at as another Jay Cutler. Not by me Dan..No way.

I was refering to the hoards of players and media who like to tweet all day long without having ALL the facts. All I know is that it has been 3 days, and unless there is structural damage to his Ankle Dan, there is no reason why he couldn't at least be walking on it after 5 good days of rest and ICE and elevation treatment. But I guess we shall see Dan.

saveus1011
01-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Well, according to Kemo, we won't have him.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719978.html?utm_source=twitterfeed

Deserei90
01-26-2011, 03:44 PM
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Last updated: 4:32 pm

Read more: Kemoeatu says Pouncey will miss Super Bowl - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719978.html#ixzz1CBEGsstM
Maurkice Pouncey’s superb rookie season apparently won’t end with a Super Bowl appearance.

According to teammate Chris Kemoeatu, the Steelers will be without Pouncey for Super Bowl XLV against Green Bay after suffering what was initially being diagnosed as a left high ankle sprain.

“We are definitely sad that he won’t be able to be with us in the Super Bowl,” said Kemoeatu following today’s practice on the South Side. “Definitely I feel bad for him. We just have to win it for him.”

Pouncey suffered the injury early in last week’s AFC Championship Game against the N.Y. Jets. He did not return to the game and was relegated to crutches on the sidelines for the duration of the 24-19 victory.

Pouncey got an X-ray on the ankle Monday and was fitted for a cast. Pouncey was not available during the two open locker sessions and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not address the media today.

“We know how big this is for him and him not being able to play is definitely motivating for us to go out there and get that ring for him,” Kemoeatu said.

Doug Legursky will replace Pouncey at center and will be backed up by Trai Essex. Essex has played guard and tackle this season after originally starting the season as the starting right guard.:banging: Crap!!!!!

MDSteel15
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
This sucks but I'll wait til we hear it from Pouncey himself... :popcorn:

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 03:48 PM

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719978.html?utm_source=twitterfeed

Well that sucks then. Sorry for the kid. Must be way worse then what they stated cause Flozell played this season with a Middle High Ankle sprain. And Pouncey's was listed as not as bad. All I know is IF Essex plays, we are screwed. Essex is the worst. Last year when he had to play Tackle against the Packers, Essex gave up 3 of the 5 sacks on Ben. 2 by Brad Jones, and one by Matthews. He also got called for 3 holding penalties, and 2 other false starts.

I always wondered what type of pictures Essex has of the Rooney's to make this team each season. Cause frankly,,,I can play better on the O-Line then he can. So here;s hoping he does NOT play in Dallas. :applaudit:

Dino 6 Rings
01-26-2011, 03:51 PM
ouch now we have "no chance"

:chuckle:

stiller39
01-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Dino, are you serious we have no chance without Pouncey... OMG!!!

Dino 6 Rings
01-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Dino, are you serious we have no chance without Pouncey... OMG!!!

I believe the Steelers could take the field with any Oline and still have a chance.

The Standard is the Standard

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 03:57 PM
ouch now we have "no chance"

:chuckle:

I have to say I don't like a player breaking news on a Injury that was still up in the air for the other team to think about. I'm sure Tomlin doesn't appreciate it either. But, considering the Hard cast, yeah, I think it is official, Pouncey is out. Yes it sucks. And yes I feel for the kid. But as long as Essex doesn't play Center, I can be thankful for that.

Cause Essex is the worst O-linemen I have ever seen play. J-Scott is 10 times the Tackle he is ( Scarey huh ? ) And Legursky IS a much stronger guy then Pouncey at the point of attack. So in straight man on man matches with BJ, he will be better then Pouncey. But as a pick up the schemes on passing plays blocker, Pouncey was the best.

This hurts us yes. But at least we have 2 weeks to work with Legursky, and he and Ben can get on the same page as it goes to the snap count this time.

Sorry for Pouncey. I hope we can win it for him :tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Stiller39...you're avatar is questionable.

Steelboy84
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
This does suck, because Pouncey said he was sure he'd play.

lionslicer
01-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Kemoeatu is just being a negative nancy.

Pouncey got his cast today and is working on rehabilitation techniques for it to heal faster.

MikeHaullace
01-26-2011, 04:10 PM
I believe the Steelers could take the field with any Oline and still have a chance.

The Standard is the Standard

Yep. This is pretty much it.

I think Pouncey is the difference between Pittsburgh running away with it late and Green Bay keeping it close til the end.

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2011, 04:20 PM

I would assume Tomlin would like to handle the injury status reports for the team, but not surprising Kemo would spill the beans since Kemo would lose a battle of wits with a box of rocks

And there is more cheery news today - looks like the gamble in dumping a 4th round draft pick to bring Aaron Smith back for the playoffs has conclusively failed according to Bouchette

Do not look for Aaron Smith to play in the Super Bowl. He did no more in practice today than what he has been doing the past two weeks, which is very little. The Steelers list him as “limited participation” in practice.

I talked to Smith after practice and he expressed his frustration with the process. He said if he all it took was for him to work harder he’d do so but that is not the case. It’s a matter of time and his strength returning so he can play and that’s just not going fast enough.

He also told me that if he cannot play he certainly does not want to suit up and stand on the sideline at Super Bowl XLV. There has been speculation that could happen but Smith said he would fight that because it would be unfair to the Steelers – and to him because he wants another Super Bowl ring.

And one more thing. He told me he plans to play in 2011, that he felt good before the injury and was playing up to his standard and has no plans to retire yet.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/107733-ed-it-doesnt-look-good-for-aaron-smith

Steelers have handled Smith's absence - whether a very shaky O-line can play as well as it did in the first half of the Jets game without Pouncey is a big story line (now the center and both tackles have been lost)

GMU Steeler
01-26-2011, 04:21 PM
I hope he's mistaken. Not just because Pouncey is a valuable part of our offense but because the dude's had an amazing rookie campaign and it would just suck for him to miss out on the big game like this. Hope we see him in uniform in Dallas.

SteelKnight
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
I like Ben's joke about sneaking Pouncey's twin in there with nobody noticing...funny.

theplatypus
01-26-2011, 04:41 PM
It looks as if sarapalin stayed at a Holiday Inn Express again.

43Hitman
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM

:iagree:

lionslicer
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM

Browns fan in disguise

BengalDestroyer
01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I really hope Smith at least gets to play...

mesaSteeler
01-26-2011, 05:01 PM
The battle cry for the O-Line will have to be "Win it for Pouncey".

thumper
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
And even then, usually players are not right when they come
back. High ankle sprains are often worse than a break.

For Pouncy to come back after 2 weeks....not likely, to say the least.

http://www.drchiodo.com/Pages/disorders/ankle_sprains.php

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
And even then, usually players are not right when they come
back. High ankle sprains are often worse than a break.

For Pouncy to come back after 2 weeks....not likely, to say the least.

http://www.drchiodo.com/Pages/disorders/ankle_sprains.php

Oh really ? Well maybe you should try reading this...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39138067/ns/sports-player_news/

Or perhaps this....

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2696&line=193937&spln=1

Maybe it's time we ALL started to appreciate what this guy has done for our patch-work O-Line this season. And the pain he has had to endure. So Thumper,,,tell me again about this 4 to 8 weeks for a High Ankle sprain, and a player not being able to play ?, let alone in two weeks ?

MattsMe
01-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Are you really a dick, or do you just play one on the internet?

There is no cut and dried answer for how long a player should be out.

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Are you really a dick, or do you just play one on the internet?

I know you ain't talking about me!! Cause if so, why ? All I did was post differing facts on what Thumper posted. So how is that being a D!ck ?

SteelCityMom
01-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Injuries are not the same for different players. Just because Flozell was back in a week doesn't mean that everybody with a similar injury will be back in the same amount of time.

What's so hard to understand about that?

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Injuries are not the same for different players. Just because Flozell was back in a week doesn't mean that everybody with a similar injury will be back in the same amount of time.

What's so hard to understand about that?

Mom, I never said different. Mom, this is what I do for a living. I have rehabbed athletes, even Super Bowl winning athletes Mom. And even the slightest of a millimeter to the ligiment of a High Ankle sprain can make a huge difference as it goes to placing weight on the injury after 2 weeks, as opposed to one that might take a month. And everyones pain tolerance is different. Like I said Mom, I have not seen Pouncey's results of the MRI. All I was saying to Thumper is that not all High Ankle sprains are the same. Cause two of our O-Linemen had them this season, and played the following weeks. This is not to call out Pouncey for his Injury cause as you said Mom....All Sprains, even High Ankle ones are different as it goes to time to Rehab them.

adamsteve14
01-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Mom, I never said different. Mom, this is what I do for a living. I have rehabbed athletes, even Super Bowl winning athletes Mom. And even the slightest of a millimeter to the ligiment of a High Ankle sprain can make a huge difference as it goes to placing weight on the injury after 2 weeks, as opposed to one that might take a month. And everyones pain tolerance is different. Like I said Mom, I have not seen Pouncey's results of the MRI. All I was saying to Thumper is that not all High Ankle sprains are the same. Cause two of our O-Linemen had them this season, and played the following weeks. This is not to call out Pouncey for his Injury cause as you said Mom....All Sprains, even High Ankle ones are different as it goes to time to Rehab them.

This is very, very true. I had a severe one last february that didn't heal until June and still gives me problems. I had one when it only took a week or two until I was back to almost 100%. A cast for a week or so just immobilizes the ankle to try to jumpstart the healing. I wouldn't take Kemo's opinion into consideration.

SteelCityMom
01-26-2011, 06:53 PM

Ok, sarahpalinhater, that's not what you made it sound like, sarahpalinhater. You keep bringing up Flozell's injury like it should be the same, sarahpalinhater. That's great if you really rehab guys sarahpalinhater, but I'll trust the team doctors in this case sarahpalinhater. I just don't understand the need to compare it to every other players injury, sarahpalinhater, if you already know that not all injuries are the same, sarahpalinhater.

cubanstogie
01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Ok, sarahpalinhater, that's not what you made it sound like, sarahpalinhater. You keep bringing up Flozell's injury like it should be the same, sarahpalinhater. That's great if you really rehab guys sarahpalinhater, but I'll trust the team doctors in this case sarahpalinhater.

lmfao mom, I really am mom

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok, sarahpalinhater, that's not what you made it sound like, sarahpalinhater. You keep bringing up Flozell's injury like it should be the same, sarahpalinhater. That's great if you really rehab guys sarahpalinhater, but I'll trust the team doctors in this case sarahpalinhater.

No Mom, I was more being sarcastic as to how the media and the rest might make Pouncey look if he can't play cause Adams did. Maybe I should stick to NOT trying to be sarcastic in the future...huh ? :thumbsup: Yeah ALWAYS take the word of Doctors, especially over me Mom. But the work I do, more so in the past has Invoved alot of Ankle, elbow and knee Rehans. I have worked a few times with Ex-Giant Mark Collins Mom...ever hear of him ? And Steve Jones, former L.A. Dodger, and Ex-WR R Jay Soward. And ALL injuries are differnt Mom. Both in pain, and time to heal. And no matter how I feel about Legursky being able to do a really good job in Pouncet's place. I do hope Kemo is wrong, and that the kid has a quick recovery, and can play :applaudit:

SteelCityMom
01-26-2011, 07:07 PM
No Mom, I was more being sarcastic as to how the media and the rest might make Pouncey look if he can't play cause Adams did. Maybe I should stick to NOT trying to be sarcastic in the future...huh ? :thumbsup: Yeah ALWAYS take the word of Doctors, especially over me Mom. But the work I do, more so in the past has Invoved alot of Ankle, elbow and knee Rehans. I have worked a few times with Ex-Giant Mark Collins Mom...ever hear of him ? And Steve Jones, former L.A. Dodger, and Ex-WR R Jay Soward. And ALL injuries are differnt Mom. Both in pain, and time to heal. And no matter how I feel about Legursky being able to do a really good job in Pouncet's place. I do hope Kemo is wrong, and that the kid has a quick recovery, and can play :applaudit:

Ok sarahpalinhater. I guess nobody caught on to the sarcasm since you were doing it every time the topic of him was brought up sarahpalinhater.

No, sarahpalinhater, I've never heard of Mark Collins and don't watch baseball sarahpalinhater.

I know all injuries are different sarahpalinhater...I already said that.

I'll still take the word of the TEAM doctors over yours sarahpalinhater, since they are the ones that are on the teams staff to specifically rehab them into playing sooner sarahpalinhater.

I hope he's able to play as well, only a complete numbskull would not want him to play sarahpalinhater.

SH-Rock
01-26-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81defa80/Will-Pouncey-play

cubanstogie
01-26-2011, 07:20 PM
how could Kemo possibly know now that MP won't play. We still have 11 days, lots of time for swelling to reduce. That is unless there is more to the story like a tear or hairline fx. I will believe it when I hear it next thursday and by someone other than Kemo. My fingers are crossed.

El Nino
01-26-2011, 07:36 PM
unless TOMLIN says pouncey is out, this is all speculation

TRH
01-26-2011, 08:36 PM
damn, this ain't looking good. If he can't play, ya gotta feel bad for him, he's been talking about it all year.
Man, our OL is just about completely decimated......its amazingly unlucky.
Can you imagine if we had Pouncey, Colon, Starks, and Essex all healthy?

El Nino
01-26-2011, 08:40 PM
damn, this ain't looking good. If he can't play, ya gotta feel bad for him, he's been talking about it all year.
Man, our OL is just about completely decimated......its amazingly unlucky.
Can you imagine if we had Pouncey, Colon, Starks, and Essex all healthy?

our o-line was looking shit hot in the beginning of the season. when starks got IR'ed there was a huge dropoff.

with a healthy colon (lol) do we still keep flozell?

43Hitman
01-26-2011, 08:44 PM
our o-line was looking shit hot in the beginning of the season. when starks got IR'ed there was a huge dropoff.

with a healthy colon (lol) do we still keep flozell?

He'd be a nice backup, but I have a feeling that if we win the SB, he'll retire.

El Nino
01-26-2011, 08:50 PM
He'd be a nice backup, but I have a feeling that if we win the SB, he'll retire.

that'd be a great way to stick it to jerry jones. ex-cowboy goes out a winner at texas stadium and retires... as a steeler.

Packerstud
01-26-2011, 08:59 PM
our OL is just about completely decimated......its amazingly unlucky.

Sorry to hear this. I was really hoping your O Line would hold up, at least until half time.

tony hipchest
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry to hear this. I was really hoping your O Line would hold up, at least until half time.

they will. :coffee:

theyre still better than what they were last year.

heres to wishing your o-line holds up (atleast until the half). :drink:

SteelCityMom
01-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Ehhh...they've gone this far, they can go 60 more minutes.

Won in '08 with a completely decimated and patchwork OL as well.

Packerstud
01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Ehhh...they've gone this far, they can go 60 more minutes

Without Pouncy?

mesaSteeler
01-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Smith: Status Unchanged
Smith: Status Unchanged

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Jan 26, 2011

Here's the injury list from the first day of practice for Super Bowl XLV:

PITTSBURGH – The progress of Aaron Smith continued at a snail’s pace Wednesday as the big defensive end continued to practice in “a limited capacity.”

Since putting on his familiar No. 91 early this month, Smith has been peppered with questions about his availability, and his answers remain the same.

“We’ll see,” he said. “It’s day to day. We have two weeks. We’ll see.”

While Smith’s status appears unchanged, good news came from cornerback Bryant McFadden. Even though he sat out of Wednesday’s practice, his strained abdomen has improved significantly.

“I’m feeling a lot better than I did, honestly, last week, mentally and physically,” said McFadden. “I have two weeks and I’m looking forward to it and am feeling a lot better than I did last week.”

McFadden missed all but the first two series of the Divisional Round playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens, and then struggled in his only practice before Sunday’s game against the New York Jets. McFadden played against the Jets, but as the No. 3 cornerback. If healthy, McFadden will start the Super Bowl.

Also missing Wednesday’s practice with McFadden and Maurkice Pouncey were S Will Allen (knee), S Troy Polamalu (Achilles), WR Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and LT Jonathan Scott (ribs).

Missing practice for the Packers were LBs Erik Walden and Frank Zombo (knee). Limited were LB Desmond Bishop (ankle), LT Chad Clifton (neck), LB A.J. Hawk (knee), WR Greg Jennings (knee), and C Jason Spitz (calf).

DFWSTEELERFAN
Without Pouncy?

We held up against the Jets.. Mendenhall had a great game even after Pouncey went out in the first quarter. I think Jets were 3rd in the league against the run. It's not ideal, but it's not a deal breaker either. I sure would like to see him back though!

tony hipchest
no starks.

no colon.

no pouncey.

no problem.

next man up.

the standard doesnt change.

sure, we may not put up 350 passing and 150 rush, but with the way our defense plays we shouldnt need to.

Packerstud
01-26-2011, 09:30 PM
no colon

Thats gotta hurt!

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Without Pouncy?

They won a Super Bowl with Hartwig at center 2 years ago - as you may have noticed, the success of the Steelers QB has not been based on a stellar OL

With regard to injuries, hopefully for Green Bay the cover-up regarding Rodgers concussion last Sunday does not unravel before February 6 - would hate to see Goodell force Rodgers to sit to show how committed the league is to player safety:chuckle:

http://host.madison.com/ct/sports/football/professional/article_20a7a8f2-280b-11e0-aca5-001cc4c03286.html

MattsMe
01-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Ok, sarahpalinhater, that's not what you made it sound like, sarahpalinhater. You keep bringing up Flozell's injury like it should be the same, sarahpalinhater. That's great if you really rehab guys sarahpalinhater, but I'll trust the team doctors in this case sarahpalinhater. I just don't understand the need to compare it to every other players injury, sarahpalinhater, if you already know that not all injuries are the same, sarahpalinhater.

:toofunny:

I so wanted to make a post like this, but decided I'd been mean enough for one day.

DFWSTEELERFAN
01-26-2011, 10:02 PM

I so wanted to make a post like this, but decided I'd been mean enough for one day.

JackHammer
01-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Thats gotta hurt!

I lol'd :toofunny:

MattsMe
01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Jim Wexell's tweet today:

"3rd string C Essex says hard cast an option; team thinks promotes quick healing. Not about severity."

Pouncey will play.

Unless he doesn't. Then I'll just go back and edit this post. :chuckle:

Buddha Bus
01-26-2011, 10:20 PM

Pouncey will play.

Cheater, cheater pumpkin eater!!!! :tomato:

You can't edit my quoting of your post, Matt! :flap:

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Pouncey will play.

A hard cast does not make it heal faster. Just the opposite.

SteelCurtain5643
01-26-2011, 11:17 PM
This is gonna suck if Pouncey is out. A really big blow to an O-line already struggling.

SteelCityMom
01-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Without Pouncy?

Pouncey got hurt on the first drive of the Jets game, and the Steelers still ran on them more than any other team had run on the Jets all year.

steelerohio
01-27-2011, 12:14 AM
I'll just be hoping until Tomlin says he's out... but that would suck for a rookie that been doing a real great job all season long if he don't get to play.

zsheik22
01-27-2011, 03:42 AM
I like Ben's joke about sneaking Pouncey's twin in there with nobody noticing...funny.

hahahaha, thats freakin awesome.

Any more updates? This has been a bittersweet year, since im stuck in the middle east and cant be home in pittsburgh to get the full experience. At least im able to watch the games.... albeit at 2:30 AM :p

How am I supposed to watch the damn parade when they win #7? FML!

theplatypus
01-27-2011, 05:34 AM
A hard cast does not make it heal faster. Just the opposite.

Yeah, you said that it needed air like a scab. Interesting since it's an internal injury. Oxygen helps it heal via blood flow not a cool breeze.

mesaSteeler
01-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Steelers' Aaron Smith still holding out hope that he can play
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_720019.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 27, 2011

Aaron Smith participated in practice on a limited basis Wednesday and left shortly thereafter for a doctor's appointment.

The veteran defensive end is hoping to get clearance to play in Super Bowl XV before the Steelers leave for Dallas on Monday.

"I think it's feasible, I really do," Smith said of playing for the first time since partially tearing his left triceps in late October. "The longer (this season) has stretched, the better the possibility of me playing has gotten. I would like to have an answer before we leave, but we've gone this long, so we'll see what happens and go from there."

Smith has been practicing on a limited basis for two weeks, and he is realistic about the role he will play even if the 6-foot-5, 298-pounder is well enough to suit up for his third Super Bowl.

Smith said he will spell second-year man Ziggy Hood if he plays against the Green Bay Packers.

Hood has started 12 consecutive games at left defensive end. All four of his sacks this season have come in the Steelers' last six games.

"Ziggy's done a fantastic job and deserves to play all the snaps he can because the guy's carried us to this point," Smith said. "Whatever I can do to help out, a snap here, a snap there, it would be nice to do and go from there."

Smith has been starting since 2000 and is widely considered one of the top 3-4 defensive ends in the NFL.

The Steelers kept Smith on the 53-man roster after he got hurt even though there were no guarantees that he would make it back.

That underscored Smith's value to the Steelers, and his teammates have talked about how inspiring it would be if he returns this season.

"I'm kind of speechless when I hear that," Smith said. "I can't help but fantasize about the team and dream about it, just to be out there, being able to be on the field and a part of something special."

Digits

4: Players that had at least 500 yards receiving for the Packers this season, a team record

263: Rushing yards by Packers rookie James Starks during the postseason, tops in the NFL

steelers' super bowl takes

"I don't think I would have been shocked, to be honest with you. Knowing the guys in this locker room — we're a tight-knit group — we kind of rally around each other. It's not surprising that we are where we are."

Tight end Heath Miller, on being told at the beginning of the season that the Steelers would advance to Super Bowl XLV despite Ben Roethlisberger missing the first four games

"Thirteen years in this league, five Pro Bowls, an All-Pro selection. If you can just give him that last one thing — a Super Bowl championship behind that long resume — I think that seals it."

Tackle Max Starks, on the offensive line wanting to honor veteran tackle Flozell Adams, a former Dallas player, with a Super Bowl win in the Cowboys' home stadium

"I probably do have the most but I probably don't have the most going. You've got to cut it off at some point. I get in as many people as I can and everybody else will be mad but it is what it is."

Nose tackle Casey Hampton, on ticket requests for the Super Bowl

"I just try to have fun with it and enjoy the circus atmosphere and all the media attention. The key is not to get overwhelmed or let it stress you out. So, I tell the young guys to just enjoy it, because you might never get back. It's going to get crazy, but you have to focus in on the game once we get going there and you have to put everything else behind you."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, on the build-up to the Super Bowl

"I think the thing that's most important is to focus on you're going to be playing a game this week, to really study and get a jumpstart on the team you're playing because when you go to your site, it's not the normal facility or amenities that you're used to so it can get tough to do your same type of research, you're same type of study habits. So it's very good to use this week in a very practical, common sense way this week and get a little head start."

Free safety Ryan Clark, on the significance of this week

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers' Aaron Smith still holding out hope that he can play - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_720019.html#ixzz1CElIe3nr

mesaSteeler
01-27-2011, 06:29 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/05/dixon-looks-good.html
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Doesn't look good for Pouncey

Maurkice Pouncey has gotten rid of his walking cast. The problem is that he's traded it in for a regular one.

That doesn't bode well for Pouncey being able to play in the Super Bowl in a week and a half.

Doug Legursky would get the start if Pouncey can't go. The Steelers would also likely have to make some kind of move for a backup center.

Jonathan Scott serves as the team's backup long snapper and could probably center the ball in a pinch, but he's also the starting left tackle.

Word has it that Trai Essex would serve as the backup center at this point.

© I've heard from two different sources now that it looks like Dermontti Dawson has a good chance to get into the hall of fame this year.

I kind of discounted the first source, but when you hear it from two, it starts to add up.

© Aaron Smith did not practice again today and it's looking doubtful that he'll play in the Super Bowl.

Also sitting out today were Troy Polamalu and Bryant McFadden.

adamsteve14
01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Yeah, you said that it needed air like a scab. Interesting since it's an internal injury. Oxygen helps it heal via blood flow not a cool breeze.

I know you can't compare, but I had two comparable high ankle sprains on each ankle. One was casted for 10 days. The other was not. After being casted for 10 days, I was back to about 90% when it came off. The other took months to get to that point. Just saying.

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Steelers' Kemoeatu backs off assessment of Pouncey's injury

A day after strongly hinting that rookie Pro Bowl C Maurkice Pouncey would miss Super Bowl XLV due to the left high ankle sprain he suffered in the AFC Championship Game, Steelers LG Chris Kemoeatu softened his stance Thursday.

"I think they're taking it day by day, as far as his injury," Kemoeatu said, holding out hope that the team's first-round pick will suit up vs. the Packers. "I don't think it has been confirmed that he's not playing yet. Right now he's just rehabbing."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/ravens-oust-ex-redskins-coach-jim-zorn-as-qb-coach/1The

Wonder how long Kemo will be rehabbing following the ass kicking Tomlin gave him after yesterday's injury assessment about Pouncey?

steelerbackr4life
01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Thats alot of ass to kick

ETL
01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm hoping that kemo is part of a grand smoke screen and pouncey could play with some tape and cortisone shots

acidburn517
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
PG exclusive: Steelers' Pouncey has broken bone in left ankle

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027/1121114-100.stm#ixzz1CHg4vQnU

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle along with the previously-announced high ankle sprain. His status for Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6 remains highly doubtful.

Steelers sources say they have not yet ruled him out of the game against the Green Bay Packers, but a number of teammates remain privately skeptical that he will be healthy enough to play.

Both Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Pouncey himself described the injury to the rookie Pro Bowler as a high ankle sprain, sustained on the opening drive of their 24-19 victory against the New York Jets in the AFC Championship game.

But, after further examination, it was determined Pouncey also has a broken bone in his ankle. His left foot and ankle were encased in a hard cast that replaced a walking boot. Pouncey has been using crutches to get around but has not been available to the media this week at the team's training facility.

Sources told the Post-Gazette that while there is a broken bone, damage to the ligaments in his ankle remains the major stumbling block for him.

Pouncey was injured when Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas fell on the back of his left leg after being shoved by right tackle Flozell Adams. The play came at the tail end of a Ben Roethlisberger pass to Hines Ward that carried seven yards to the Jets one.

Doug Legursky replaced Pouncey at center and the Steelers scored on the next play when Rashard Mendenhall ran 1 yards into the end zone. Legursky played the rest of the game and likely will start in the Super Bowl. His backup would be guard/tackle Trai Essex, who has played just about every position on the offensive line this season.

Pouncey and Adams were the only players on the offensive line to start every game this season.

----
Apologies if this was already posted. Think it's breaking news though. Doesn't look good for Pouncey. Hope Legursky is putting in some overtime.

MattsMe
01-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Well that sucks. :banging:

But I think I heard somewhere that the standard is the standard, so I ain't skeered.

acidburn517
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah, at least they know ahead of time and can get Legursky good and ready. I put things in perspective by remembering that we won a Superbowl with Justin Hartwig (even with his stupid holding in the end zone). Would have been great to have Pouncey but Legursky will step up. Our team is greater than the sum of its parts.

FanSince72
01-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, if we needed a rallying point or "something to play for", this is it.

Not that a SB is nothing to play for but since we have no real history with Green Bay and there's no specific battle cry this season, this injury can have a galvanizing effect that could be the spark we need.

Tell you what, it takes the emphasis off of Green Bay and any smack that comes our way and it puts the emphasis on the team as a group, the "standard" and all that stuff and it's a perfect exclamation point for one of the most schizo seasons (from a personnel point of view) I've seen in a long time.

"Win it for Pouncey" could become the reason to take it up a notch.

madtowndrunkard
01-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Well we can forget about running up the middle.

Hopefully Legursky can hold his own in the pass rush.

I think we might want to try using the no huddle offense a lot. This could help our O-line and help cover up the loss of Pouncey.

There is no way he's playing in the SB.

SteelCityMom
01-27-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm just glad they found out the bad news sooner than later. It's going to be a challenge for sure, but he's done alright when he's had to step in. Hopefully they'll have him well prepared.

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-27-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm still not convinced that he is definitely out. Seems like Tomlin would have said something by now. Until we hear it from the horses own mouth, I'll remain optimistic that he'll play. It sucks we have this sort of luck before the big game.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm just glad they found out the bad news sooner than later. It's going to be a challenge for sure, but he's done alright when he's had to step in. Hopefully they'll have him well prepared.

Agreed - no splitting of snaps with the first team in case Pouncey might go

No denying this is a big loss but you work with what you have, not with what you want

theplatypus
01-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm still not convinced that he is definitely out. Seems like Tomlin would have said something by now. Until we hear it from the horses own mouth, I'll remain optimistic that he'll play. It sucks we have this sort of luck before the big game.

I'm pretty sure Jack Youngblood played for the Rams in the Super Bowl with a fracture in his leg.

steelerchad
01-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Legursky will have had 2 weeks to get the snaps down with Ben. Other than that, they did fine. Remember, Pouncey went out on the first series against the Jets and we still ran the ball down their throats. We can run the ball on Green Bay's D.

This is no smoke screen by Tomlin. I think there is no way Pouncey plays. Tomlin not saying anything is more of a smoke screen to protect Legursky. If anything, I think he doesn't want Green Bay to know for certain that Pouncey won't be there, so they don't scheme to overwhelm Doug.

The Aaron Smith situation has failed miserably. We lost a promising 4th rounder who could possibly replace Farrior in 2 years for nothing. The good thing, we now know Ziggy is a player.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Latest update from the P-G - this will be a running story next week until Tomlin (or Kemo:chuckle:) officially rules Pouncey out

Pouncey now in boot

Maurkice Pouncey showed up this morning at the Steelers offices wearing a boot on his injured left ankle, not the hard cast he had been wearing the past couple days.

That might lead some people to think the rookie center is progressing toward playing in the Super Bowl, and maybe he is. Certainly the Steelers are hoping he is.

But, medically speaking, it will be very difficult for him to play against the Packers, certainly at any level of efficiency, and the Steelers are proceeding with that mindset. They are also not fretting about the possibility.

Pouncey has more than just a high-ankle sprain, which is bad enough. He also has a broekn bone in his anle to complicate matters. Because it is the first time Pouncey has sustained a high-ankle sprain on his left leg, doctors and trainers will tell you first-time sprains of that nature usually take longer to heal.
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/107751-gerry-pouncey-now-in-boot

JCPsteelers
01-30-2011, 11:09 AM
just heard it on NFL countdown.

theplatypus
01-30-2011, 11:50 AM
The Steelers have listed center Maurkice Pouncey as questionable for the Super Bowl, but there’s no question about it: Pouncey isn’t playing against the Packers.

That was made clear by teammate Chris Kemoeatu, and it was reiterated this morning by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, who reported that Pouncey will not play in Super Bowl XLV because of a fracture and high ankle sprain.

As a rookie out of Florida, Pouncey started all 16 regular-season games and both playoff games for the Steelers. He deserves some consideration for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Without Pouncey, Doug Legursky will start against Green Bay, and his battle with Packers nose tackle B.J. Raji may be the most important individual matchup in the Super Bowl.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/30/maurkice-pouncey-listed-as-questionable-but-really-out/

mesaSteeler
01-30-2011, 12:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/30/maurkice-pouncey-listed-as-questionable-but-really-out/

"profootballtalk" = "profootballlies" = ESPN = "Bad Rumor"

Didn't we just go through this with LeBeau to Arizona crap? I think it's a very long shot that he will play but I'll wait until we get a real source and not the lies from profootballtalk and ESPN.

HinesWard86HOF
01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
ya know i read somewhere that a 60 minute game actually contains about 11-12 minutes of actual play... actual movement.....the rest is time running off the clock in a huddle or at the line ready to snap... but a game is 11-12 minutes of action.. so i read on another post about pouncey being a tuff guy (which i belive is true) and that he is prepping for one game... not a season... so could he play one game... and this applies to anyone injured... but if you look at it that a game is say 12 minutes and ifffffff the time of posession is split 50/50 the time the offense has the ball (and moving with it) is actually 5 1/2 -6 minutes... so i think a person that is playing because of pain can probably tuff it out for that time... if its a case of doing more damage then best not to do that?

ZoneBlitzer
01-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Pouncey is out. Shefter announced it today.

tony hipchest
01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
a real source is my eyeballs and common sense.

he has a wicked high ankle sprain, a broken bone, is a rookie and is unable to practice.

legursky is healthy and practicing. im gonna go way out on a limb and say pouncey is not playing.

love em or hate em, espn is the world wide leader in sports for a reason and its not for spreading lies and rumors.

im not wasting any time holding out hope. legursky wont shut down raji, but really nobody does. it will take a team effort which is why legursky w/ 2 weeks of practice is more valuable and be more effective than an injured pouncey w/o it.

HinesWard86HOF
01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Pouncey is out. Shefter announced it today.

i will believe it when i hear it from the steelers .. not some clueless talking head out to make a name as I SAID IT FIRST that has no more idea if hes playing than you or i do... i dont think anyone INCLUDING pouncey knows as of today with 7 days and 4 hours to go

MACH1
a real source is my eyeballs and common sense.

he has a wicked high ankle sprain, a broken bone, is a rookie and is unable to practice.

legursky is healthy and practicing. im gonna go way out on a limb and say pouncey is not playing.

love em or hate em, espn is the world wide leader in sports for a reason and its not for spreading lies and rumors.

im not wasting any time holding out hope. legursky wont shut down raji, but really nobody does. it will take a team effort which is why legursky w/ 2 weeks of practice is more valuable and be more effective than an injured pouncey w/o it.

Yup...At this point I'd rather have someone with two good legs.

El Nino
i've yet to hear tomlin say anything about this

unless i hear something from MT himself I ain't believing anything.

HinesWard86HOF
01-30-2011, 01:34 PM
i've yet to hear tomlin say anything about this

unless i hear something from MT himself I ain't believing anything.

Yep.... like a reporter would know 7 days before the game.. as i said pouncey doesnt even know at this point must less some reporter

tony hipchest
01-30-2011, 01:37 PM
i will believe it when i hear it from the steelers .. not some clueless talking head out to make a name as I SAID IT FIRST that has no more idea if hes playing than you or i do... i dont think anyone INCLUDING pouncey knows as of today with 7 days and 4 hours to gopouncey is out... not questionable or doubtful, but OUT.

as already stated, schefter reported it today. i dont think he needs to use pouncey's situation as a stepping stone in his career. he's pretty solid.

but its not like this is shocking news. he couldve told us something we all didnt really know.

poncey cant go. raji would jack up that ankle in the 1st series no matter how many shots pouncey takes or how tightly it is wrapped.

El Nino
01-30-2011, 01:39 PM
schefter isn't a guy with any affiliation to the steelers is he?

i'm not entirely optimistic that he'll start but I think we should wait for the coach to say something before jumping to conclusions

zulater
01-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I might be wrong, but I honestly believe Legurskey is as good as Hartwig ever was for this team, and we won a Super bowl with him.

HinesWard86HOF
01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
schefter isn't a guy with any affiliation to the steelers is he?

i'm not entirely optimistic that he'll start but I think we should wait for the coach to say something before jumping to conclusions

totally agree.. i will believe it when tomlin announces it... maybe tomorrow.. maybe tuesday.. maybe friday ..or maybeee not at all

theplatypus
01-30-2011, 02:14 PM
"profootballtalk" = "profootballlies" = ESPN = "Bad Rumor"

Didn't we just go through this with LeBeau to Arizona crap? I think it's a very long shot that he will play but I'll wait until we get a real source and not the lies from profootballtalk and ESPN.

They just said that he was out on the NFL Network as well, although I'm sure you've got a problem with them also.

zulater
01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't see it, the kid's too good to let him play injured anyway. Pouncey's going to be the best center in the game as soon as next season, he goes out there and does permanant damage to that ankle?! I don't even want to think about it.

Legurskey will find a way to get the job done

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2011, 02:24 PM
im not wasting any time holding out hope.

Agreed - 2 years ago the drama was Hines with the bad knee - after the big gain to open the game he was a non-factor because he was hurt - Steelers adjusted since you play with whom you have, not with whom you want - I want Pouncey but Steelers will not have him

At least as big an issue for me at this point is how healthy Troy is - Steelers will not be turning any information loose there - we will have to wait for the game to see if we get deep center field Troy from the Ravens/Jets games or Troy The Disruptor who made the play of the season on Sunday night in Baltimore

El Nino
01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
if blow job raji is so good why are the packers #18 in rush defense? just saying.

pete74
01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
he still has a full week to heal and nobody knows how quickly he heals. he might wake up sunday morning feeling perfect or horrible but only time will tell.

Steelboy84
01-30-2011, 02:37 PM
There's no way this dude gets healed in a week. Not being in a cast and all. I don't even think steroids would get him back by then.

Rick5895
01-30-2011, 02:40 PM
If Pouncey is indeed out, I am very confident in Legursky. He came in with minimal to no snaps at center prior to the jets game and held his own. With 2 weeks of taking the majority of the snaps, i am sure we will be fine.

tony hipchest
01-30-2011, 02:41 PM
totally agree.. i will believe it when tomlin announces it... maybe tomorrow.. maybe tuesday.. maybe friday ..or maybeee not at allponcey is out.

we dont need the HC to report the obvious. he's a coach, not a reporter, and right now his sole fucus is coaching up those who can practice and play.

El Nino
01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
If Pouncey is indeed out, I am very confident in Legursky. He came in with minimal to no snaps at center prior to the jets game and held his own. With 2 weeks of taking the majority of the snaps, i am sure we will be fine.

thats true. he's no pouncey but the jets o-line is pretty formidable and he held his own. backups usually don't fare good in multiple game stretches but all we need is 1 good game out of this guy.

xli...
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Would you want a 40-60% Pouncey or a 100% Legurksy out their playing?

El Nino
01-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Would you want a 40-60% Pouncey or a 100% Legurksy out their playing?

legursky. i don't want pouncey to risk a long term injury either if it's that severe. he's only a rookie, and I'm sure he'll get his chance again.

HinesWard86HOF
01-30-2011, 04:01 PM
poncey is out.

we dont need the HC to report the obvious. he's a coach, not a reporter, and right now his sole fucus is coaching up those who can practice and play.

so tomlin doesnt have the time nor the responsibility to report if/when pouncy is out? and if asked next sunday if he is gonna play you think he will say oh by the way hes out.. thought you heard it from some reporter...

btaylor179
01-30-2011, 04:52 PM
he has a broken bone hes not gonna play...if hes not 100% then don't need him in there

plenewken
01-30-2011, 06:09 PM
It's a shame for Pouncey but there's no way he'll be playing next Sunday if he has a broken bone and a sprained ankle.
Legursky will do more than fine. Like someone pointed out already, Legursky is at least as good as Hartwig who won a ring with us against the Cards.

steelerchad
01-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Pouncey is out and at this point it is better that way. His chances of playing would be less than 10% anyway and chances of playing well and not getting reinjured even lower than that. I'll take Legursky, healthy and with a full 2 weeks of practice and prep. We will also scheme around this weakness. And yes, Raji vs. Doug is an advantage for the Packers. Knowing this with more than a week to go is a good thing. And yes, we'll be fine. We are going to be more 50-50 vs the Pack and we will run and throw the ball well. We are going to put in the neighborhood of 30 points on these guys and they will be lucky to score 20. I'm going with 31-20.

tony hipchest
01-30-2011, 06:25 PM
so tomlin doesnt have the time nor the responsibility to report if/when pouncy is out? and if asked next sunday if he is gonna play you think he will say oh by the way hes out.. thought you heard it from some reporter...

pouncey is out.

i know it sucks but its time for everyone to get over it and move on.

HinesWard86HOF
01-30-2011, 06:48 PM
pouncey is out.

i hope you are eatin those words like you are eating that cheese (and im sure as a steelers fan you would love to eat those words to see him play) iagree its a long shot but who knows

tony hipchest
01-30-2011, 07:17 PM
i would love to eat those words, but knowing the severity of the injury, i'd rather not see him play.

dude cant even walk.

zulater
01-30-2011, 07:20 PM
i would love to eat those words, but knowing the severity of the injury, i'd rather not see him play.

dude cant even walk.

Maurkice has got a long career ahead of him, not worth jeapordizing that for one game, no matter how important the game.

24seven
01-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I've rolled my ankle several times and it takes almost 2 to 3 months before you can walk on it without having that gimp to your step. I know these guys have the best technology and staff available to help but for him to be in that much pain and have it be ok in 2 weeks is asking a bit much. This guy is our future. Either way everyone knows he was a major contribution to us getting to where were at.. Let Legursky hand him his ring and we'll see you in the fall..

tony hipchest
01-31-2011, 12:19 AM
i jacked up my ankle as well playing snadlot football about 10 years ago. full contact-no pads, and i was playing undersized center cause nobody else wanted to hike the ball. i was bull rushed in a wide stance and my ankle rolled and touched the ground. i heard the 3 *pops* and the bruise showed the 3 strakes where the ligaments were torn.

it hurt like hell and swole up like a grapefruit.

i didnt see a doctor (cause what are they gonna do). i used crutches for a few days and kept it wrapped for about a month.

after 2 weeks i tried carrying a 5 gallon bucket down a flight of stairs half full of water. the ankle gave out and i fell down the stairs.

with no rehab, it took atleast a year before that damn ankle was right and i could run and cut again.

to this day i am amazed by pro athelets who return and adequately do their job w/in 4 weeks of one of those injuries.

Acerinox
01-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Tony - did you not sleep in an oxygen tent? What about a dynamic water-based physio rehab program?
Perhaps some collagen injections?

Reckon that's where you went wrong buddy!

tony hipchest
01-31-2011, 12:40 AM
:chuckle: i tried puttin it in a giant bowl of ice water immediately after (like you see the real atheletes do), and that shit hurt so bad i dont think i iced it again.

ACE bandage was my rehab "tool" of choice.

(that and a pair of NIKE high tops basketball shoes.)

pete74
01-31-2011, 03:21 PM
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP)—Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is not ruling out Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey(notes) for the Super Bowl despite the rookie walking on crutches with a high ankle sprain.

Pouncey injured his left ankle in the Steelers’ victory over the New York Jets in the AFC championship last Sunday. He did not practice last week, and Tomlin says Monday the Steelers are being “very aggressive” with Pouncey’s rehabilitation. He adds that Pouncey is “not on a running clock” until Wednesday—the team’s first practice before the Super Bowl.

According to media reports, Pouncey also has a broken bone in the ankle— with Tomlin saying only he’s “sure it could be characterized as that.”

Backup Doug Legursky(notes) would fill in for Pouncey if necessary

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP)—Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is not ruling out Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey(notes) for the Super Bowl despite the rookie walking on crutches with a high ankle sprain.

Pouncey injured his left ankle in the Steelers’ victory over the New York Jets in the AFC championship last Sunday. He did not practice last week, and Tomlin says Monday the Steelers are being “very aggressive” with Pouncey’s rehabilitation. He adds that Pouncey is “not on a running clock” until Wednesday—the team’s first practice before the Super Bowl.

According to media reports, Pouncey also has a broken bone in the ankle— with Tomlin saying only he’s “sure it could be characterized as that.”

Backup Doug Legursky(notes) would fill in for Pouncey if necessary

Tomlin is trying to force Green Bay to devote some time to planning for Pouncey possibly playing, but between Kemo spilling the beans last week and that visual of Pouncey getting on and off the plane today with two (!) canes it ain't gonna happen

fer522
01-31-2011, 05:23 PM
I just heard that he's gonna have an mri done wen. to determine if he can play on sunday :tt03:
Adam Schefter broke the news

LukesDad88
01-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Tomlin is trying to force Green Bay to devote some time to planning for Pouncey possibly playing, but between Kemo spilling the beans last week and that visual of Pouncey getting on and off the plane today with two (!) canes it ain't gonna happen

I don't really believe this, but what if it's the opposite? Say the injury wasn't as bad as feared, and Pouncey was able to be back to 90-95%, but it gets leaked from an "insider" that there's a fracture, and that he's not going to play. The Packers think that Tomlin's just playing a game, to try to get them to devote more time preparing for Pouncey, but instead they focus on Legursky, and as a result, are completely caught off guard when Pouncey comes through and plays.

That would be some gamesmanship.

Buddha Bus
01-31-2011, 05:52 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't believe we'll be seeing Pouncey in the Super Bowl. He's definitely seriously hurt and too valuable to risk for the future. We're going to have to trust in Legursky to get the job done for us Sunday.

pete74
01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
everyone keeps saying he is or isnt going to play but the fact is none of us know. alot of people have come back and played from this injury in the same time span and others took longer. there is no way of telling if he will or wont play until friday or saturday

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2011, 06:32 PM
I just heard that he's gonna have an mri done wen. to determine if he can play on sunday :tt03:
Adam Schefter broke the news

P-G says to forget it

Pouncey, Smith won't play in Super Bowl, sources say

The Steelers have kept a roster spot open for Smith, but he has not practiced since the injury and will not play against the Packers. But, like Pouncey, the Steelers are listing him as questionable on their injury report.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11031/1121961-66.stm

mesaSteeler
01-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Tomlin: Steelers 'very aggressive' in ailing Pouncey's rehab
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e06013/article/tomlin-steelers-very-aggressive-in-ailing-pounceys-rehab?module=HP_headlines
* NFL.com Wire Reports
* Published: Jan. 31, 2011 at 03:33 p.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin believes Maurkice Pouncey still can play in the Super Bowl, despite reports to the contrary.

During his arrival news conference, Tomlin refused to rule out his Pro Bowl rookie center, who has a high sprain and a broken bone in his left ankle. Pouncey needed crutches to walk down the steps from the team's charter plane, which arrived in Texas on Monday, and he wore a bulky walking boot on his left foot.

"We've been very aggressive in terms of treating it," Tomlin said in Fort Worth. "We've even been putting it in hard casts and so forth. Just trying to do everything in our power to give him the best opportunity to participate. I don't know what his chances are at this point."

NFL Network insider Albert Breer cited a source with knowledge of the situation in reporting Sunday that Pouncey is "highly doubtful" to play against the Green Bay Packers. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Monday that sources said Pouncey definitely won't play.

Pouncey injured his ankle during the Steelers' 24-19 victory over the New York Jets in the Jan. 23 AFC Championship Game. Pouncey didn't practice at all last week, and Tomlin said Monday that the rookie is "not on a running clock" until Wednesday -- the team's first practice before the Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers in Arlington.

"We will remain hopeful," said Tomlin, who wouldn't confirm nor deny that Pouncey has a broken bone in the ankle.

"I'm sure it could be characterized as that," Tomlin said. "I'm sure I've got something floating around in my ankle. The issue that's keeping him from participating is the high ankle sprain."

Steelers offensive tackle Flozell Adams, a 13-year NFL veteran, knows the difficulty of playing with a high ankle sprain.

"I haven't had one in a while until this year," he said. "It's very difficult to move. You have to do the best you can to work around it.

"It's definitely a pain thing," Adams added. "You just have to suck it up and do the best you can."

Backup Doug Legursky, whom Pouncey beat out for the starting job in training camp, would fill in at center if necessary. Legursky, an undrafted player from Marshall, was on the Steelers' practice squad during their Super Bowl win two years ago.

"I don't think it's going to affect us at all personally because we have a lot of guys on this team, let alone the offensive line, that can come up and step up if one of the starters come down," Adams said. "So I have no shadow of a doubt that Doug will do just as good a job -- if not better than Pouncey -- being in there for this Super Bowl. And I mean that."

Legursky came in for Pouncey after the first-round draft pick went down early in the game against the Jets, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger fumbled an exchange that resulted in a safety. Still, Tomlin echoed Adams' confidence in Legursky, who started four games at right guard earlier this season when starter Trai Essex went down with an injury.

"We're comfortable if we have to go in that direction," Tomlin said.

SteelerWay8
02-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Conflicting reports on his condition all over the place, I guess we will all find out on Sunday. I'd be impressed if he did come back and play on it that fast, but I sure hope he can!

plenewken
02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Excellent news.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl45/story/09000d5d81e0b772/article/steelers-pouncey-says-there-is-a-75-percent-chance-he-will-play

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Maurkice Pouncey and coach Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers have left the door open that the Pro Bowl center will play in Super Bowl XLV on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.

Pouncey, who sustained a high left ankle sprain during the Steelers' AFC Championship Game victory over the New York Jets on Jan. 23, said the ankle is out of a cast and he believes he will "definitely" play on Sunday.

Pouncey wore a walking boot at Tuesday's media day at Cowboys Stadium. He said his treatment is going well, and he expects to practice Thursday or Friday. He placed his chance of playing at 75 percent during an interview with NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders.

"I'm defintely not going to count that young man out," Tomlin said of Pouncey Tuesday. "I don't think anything he's done this year would lead you to believe that he's incapable of showing up. So we're going to give him every opportunity to do so."

plenewken
02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl45/story/09000d5d81e0b772/article/steelers-pouncey-says-there-is-a-75-percent-chance-he-will-play

WisconsinSteelerMan
02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
So, do you think that this is just "smoke screen" so the Pack have to prepare for Pouncey??

I am a born and raised Steeler Man from Pittsburgh, currently living in the midst of Packer country in western Wisconsin... This is tough territory to live in now. This has always been my dream matchup for the Super Bowl...Now, my stomach is getting tied in knots!

WisconsinSteelerMan

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Tomlin is playing the injury report on Pouncey like Bill Belichick, the grandmaster of that misinformation game:chuckle:

pete74
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Tomlin is playing the injury report on Pouncey like Bill Belichick, the grandmaster of that misinformation game:chuckle:

what are you going to say if he does start

SH-Rock
02-01-2011, 01:46 PM

He's crazy, but if he can stop Raji and others he's a beast!

El Nino
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
the injury might not have been as severe as we thought, but they really wanted to take all the precautions possible.

remember when ben got carried out on a stretcher in the final game and played in the playoffs 2 weeks later? just saying, sometimes things can 'appear' worse than they seem

colescott1
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't think you have to "prepare" for a center like perhaps a running back with a certain running style, or receiver with speed.

I'm no NFL coach, but regardless, I'm preparing my D to face the starters. If the starter can't go, then I get the benefit of facing a backup. If the backup was as good as the starter, he wouldn't be the backup.

Don't think there is any smokescreen being played. I think you have a case where the rookie WANTS to play (who wouldn't!), and a coach who is very hopeful his young stud can perform.

pete74
02-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't think you have to "prepare" for a center like perhaps a running back with a certain running style, or receiver with speed.

I'm no NFL coach, but regardless, I'm preparing my D to face the starters. If the starter can't go, then I get the benefit of facing a backup. If the backup was as good as the starter, he wouldn't be the backup.

Don't think there is any smokescreen being played. I think you have a case where the rookie WANTS to play (who wouldn't!), and a coach who is very hopeful his young stud can perform.

agree in this situation

alot of you already counted him out a few days ago but if its not a severe sprain then he can definatly tape it up and play. i had 2 sprains in my life and i was back from both within a week. the 1st my entire ankle was swelled and turned blue when i was in boot camp down in Paris Island. i sat out a week and went back to training after that so it is definatly possible depending on the severity

if its extremly bad and playing can result in a full tear of the ligiment then im all for him sitting but if it was that bad i think the steelers would of already counted him out

everyone was sure he wasnt playing just a few days ago. i told you all not to count him out. if he can he will start and i wouldnt bet against it

HinesWard86HOF
02-01-2011, 02:01 PM

dude cant even walk.

start EATIN' DAT CHEESE (and your words) my friend... pouncy says 75% he plays....

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl45/story/09000d5d81e0b772/article/steelers-pouncey-says-there-is-a-75-percent-chance-he-will-play?module=HP_headlines2col

and thats from his mouth not some talkin head sports reporter that doesnt have a clue.... and i cant imagine if hes not pretty sure hes going to play that he would say that and then NOT play and be a downer on his teammates? i say he IN !!!!

HinesWard86HOF
02-01-2011, 02:03 PM
pouncey is out.

not according to pouncey... according to him hes 75% IN WHOO HOOOO
eat that cheese my friend !!!

HinesWard86HOF
02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
pouncey says 75% chance he DOES PLAY !!!

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl45/story/09000d5d81e0b772/article/steelers-pouncey-says-there-is-a-75-percent-chance-he-will-play?module=HP_headlines2col

HinesWard86HOF
02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
he just told boomer 75% chance and NO BROKEN BONE !!! just a sparin

HinesWard86HOF
02-01-2011, 02:10 PM
he just told boomer 75% chance and NO BROKEN BONE !!! just a sparin

and he was walking on it on tv and smilingggggg ..dont think he would look that happy if he didnt think he was playing

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
pouncey says 75% chance he DOES PLAY !!!

:shake01: :doh:

You do realize that the exact same link is posted directly above yours, right?

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
@ HinesWard86HOF: Are you just going to go around re-posting the same thing and starting new threads about something that's already been addressed? You're doing an awful lot of patting yourself on the back when the guy has yet to step on the field. I hope he plays as much as anyone else, and I think you would be very hard pressed to find one single person on this site who doesn't want him to play (Packer fans aside), but it isn't Sunday yet and you're only cluttering up the board with your repeated posts.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Nothing against the great rookie, but the man was in a hard cast and needed 2 canes to get on and off the flight yesterday - looks like the Aaron Smith scenario to me - the will to play cannot overcome the need to heal

I know Pouncey will have the offseaason to heal up, but I would hate to see a permanent injury or Ben getting blown up because Pouncey gets hurt or cannot move on a blitz pick-up after dragging himself out there

Third Rail
02-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting this. I just hope the kid and the coaching staff are being smart here. Super Bowl or not, I wouldn't want Pouncey to cripple himself.

Still, gotta love the determination. I think if Pouncey got his leg ripped off, he'd stitch it back on and be ready by gameday.

pete74
02-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Nothing against the great rookie, but the man was in a hard cast and needed 2 canes to get on and off the flight yesterday - looks like the Aaron Smith scenario to me - the will to play cannot overcome the need to heal

I know Pouncey will have the offseaason to heal up, but I would hate to see a permanent injury or Ben getting blown up because Pouncey gets hurt or cannot move on a blitz pick-up after dragging himself out there

the sticks were to keep the pressure off so it could heal quicker. if he walked on it from day 1 it wouldnt heal as quick. i know it looked bad seeing him like that

LukesDad88
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Isn't 75% a significant downgrade considering the last time Pouncey spoke, he said 100% chance that he plays?

SeinfeldNut
02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Very encouraging news, I will be crossing my fingers that he will be out there on Sunday.

caseyviator
02-01-2011, 02:44 PM
i know hes playing 100% and hes gonna play well....no broken bone i just heard on tv...i know hes playin and with a shot or two will be fine..

HinesWard86HOF
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
@ HinesWard86HOF: Are you just going to go around re-posting the same thing and starting new threads about something that's already been addressed? You're doing an awful lot of patting yourself on the back when the guy has yet to step on the field. I hope he plays as much as anyone else, and I think you would be very hard pressed to find one single person on this site who doesn't want him to play (Packer fans aside), but it isn't Sunday yet and you're only cluttering up the board with your repeated posts.
just saying all the doom and gloomers here were saying ... hes OUT hes OUT and quoting reporters saying HES OUT HES OUT like its gospel... im saying lets wait and see and NOT listen to some reporters that know less than you or i probably.. you need to chill out

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 03:05 PM
just saying all the doom and gloomers here were saying ... hes OUT hes OUT and quoting reporters saying HES OUT HES OUT like its gospel... im saying lets wait and see and NOT listen to some reporters that know less than you or i probably.. you need to chill out

And you're saying "He's in! He's in!" 5 days before the actual game. No different. Like I said, everybody here wants the guy to play including me, but from what we saw of him in a cast and on crutches, the way he couldn't put weight on the ankle and a lot of the reports that were coming out, certainly made it look/sound as though he would not be playing.

I'll be happy as a pig in shit to be wrong, but I'm not going to go around thread to thread if he's definitively ruled out before Sunday and play the I-told-you-so game with people who had a different opinion than me. No one here is upset that this could possibly be the case. Just remember, it's still only a probability, not a certainty.

chitownpit
02-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Pouncey just said he is absolutley going to play . To me that means Doug gets
the snaps all week and Pouncey gives it a go sunday , if it aint working Doug
gets the job done anyway .

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Pouncey just said he is absolutley going to play . To me that means Doug gets
the snaps all week and Pouncey gives it a go sunday , if it aint working Doug
gets the job done anyway .

That's great news, but I would still think the team doctors and trainers would have some say in that decision. The Steelers aren't going to risk the future of their Pro Bowl rookie 1st round draft pick if they aren't convinced he won't do irreparable or further serious damage to the ankle that would hinder him in the upcoming seasons. It does sound good, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic at this point.

HinesWard86HOF
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM
That's great news, but I would still think the team doctors and trainers would have some say in that decision. The Steelers aren't going to risk the future of their Pro Bowl rookie 1st round draft pick if they aren't convinced he won't do irreparable or further serious damage to the ankle that would hinder him in the upcoming seasons. It does sound good, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic at this point.

well i guess for some reason i like to hear it out of the horses mouth so to speak... as soon as the PG said hes out many of the people took it as gospel... then some know nothing reporter on espn says hes out and the threads start here that hes out hes out.. i said its just a bunch of talking heads... lets wait and see what happens... and while of course its no lock that he will start or even play at all .. according to him... he thinks hes got a 75% chance.. he even said NO break.. so where did that story come from.. he said its only a high ankle sprain "no break" ? so that shows you how much credibility the PG and ESPN had on this story.... unless you think pouncey is lying? GO STEELERS !!

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
well i guess for some reason i like to hear it out of the horses mouth so to speak... as soon as the PG said hes out many of the people took it as gospel... then some know nothing reporter on espn says hes out and the threads start here that hes out hes out.. i said its just a bunch of talking heads... lets wait and see what happens... and while of course its no lock that he will start or even play at all .. according to him... he thinks hes got a 75% chance.. he even said NO break.. so where did that story come from.. he said its only a high ankle sprain "no break" ? so that shows you how much credibility the PG and ESPN had on this story.... unless you think pouncey is lying? GO STEELERS !!

Where exactly did I intimate that I thought Pouncey was lying? You're really reaching here. I'm just saying that players' hopes and feelings aren't the same as reality. Of course he's going to say he's playing if he really wants to that badly. There have been instances where players have said they want to or will play only to be told they wouldn't because a doctor, trainer or coach would not allow them. Again, I really hope I'm wrong and he plays.

I wasn't begrudging you your opinion, you're most certainly entitled to it. I'm just pointing out there's no reason to make redundant and repetitive chest-thumping posts trying to rub someone's face in it when, 1) it still hasn't fully been determined that he will IN FACT play and, 2) no one here will be upset if he does.

pete74
02-01-2011, 03:59 PM

with a sprain its usually how well you feel. if the pain is low enough he will play, if not he wont.

Buddha Bus
02-01-2011, 04:02 PM
with a sprain its usually how well you feel. if the pain is low enough he will play, if not he wont.

Yep, and I'm all good with that. I've stated to many people that not having Pouncey is my biggest concern with this game because, Lord knows, Ben needs all the quality protection we can get and Pouncey is hands down the best lineman we have. Trust me, if Pouncey thinks he can go and the trainers and coaches clear him, I say LET 'ER RIP! :tt03:

mesaSteeler
02-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Steelers' Pouncey sheds boot, says he must practice by Friday

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e11875/article/steelers-pouncey-sheds-boot-says-he-must-practice-by-friday?module=HP_headlines2col

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie center Maurkice Pouncey didn't wear a walking boot on his sprained left ankle, nor did he use crutches before the team left its Fort Worth hotel Wednesday for practice at Texas Christian University.

But Pouncey didn't practice, and he told NFL Network reporter Albert Breer that if he doesn't go Friday, he won't play in Sunday's Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

"If I'm not on the field Friday, most likely I'm not playing," Pouncey said, adding that it's his thought, not something he has been told by the Steelers' coaching staff. "I'm not going to put the team in a bad position."

Pouncey, who wore regular athletic shoes Wednesday morning and later said he spent the Steelers' practice time rehabilitating in the TCU trainers' room, told Breer the walking boot will go back on in the evening. And Pouncey hasn't resumed running yet.

"I feel positive," said Pouncey, who stood by his Tuesday assertion that his chances of playing were 75 percent. "I'm working to get my range of motion back, but it's going good."

Pouncey, who was selected to the Pro Bowl in his rookie season, sustained a high ankle sprain early in the Steelers' AFC Championship Game victory Jan. 23 over the New York Jets. He didn't practice last week, but he said Tuesday that he hoped to take the field Thursday or Friday.

"He's a center who's got a high ankle sprain," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "If he played a skill position, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But he's an interior lineman. Whether he practices (by Friday) depends how he responds to treatment."

Backup center Doug Legursky, who could start in Pouncey's place, impressed Wednesday with his quickness to get outside on some running plays, as Tomlin has asked.

"He's an athletic guy," Tomlin said. "And I've challenged him to get out and run and lead that group."

Legursky said he's preparing as if he will start against the Packers.

"I prepare every week as if I'm going to start even if all the guys are healthy," he said.

Watch NFL Playoff games online and in HD with NFL Game Rewind. Sign up now to get full access to the Postseason archives.

Aaron Smith, the only other injured Steeler, was limited in practice, and Tomlin acknowledged he is losing faith that the veteran defensive end will be able to play Sunday.

Smith hasn't played since tearing his left triceps Oct. 24 against the Miami Dolphins, and Tomlin said, when asked if he had any realistic hope that his lineman could face the Packers: "I do, but it's fading."

Notes: QB Ben Roethlisberger looked sharp while throwing 10- to 12-yard sideline routes. ... No. 3 QB Charlie Batch, performing with the scout team, was particularly sharp against the first-team defense late in the session, hitting rookie WR Antonio Brown up the seam for a long gain and winning praise from Tomlin. ... Starting CB Ike Taylor dropped a sure interception in the session, leading LB Larry Foote to shout from the sideline: "Save it for the game! Save it for the game!" Others were more critical of Taylor. Said Tomlin: "Our peanut gallery was in perfect form today." ... The FOX television crew, led by play-by-play announcer Joe Buck and analyst Troy Aikman, watched practice.

Xx_STEEL_xX
02-02-2011, 09:49 PM
it would be nice to have smith back, but ziggy does deserve to start. i think you should play both guys, if ,smtih starts to feel hurt, put ziggy in. i think pouncey will play to

Packerstud
02-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Would you rather have Pouncey at 75% or Legursky?

finesward
02-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Would you rathehttp://forums.steelersfever.com/images/editor/menupop.gifr have Pouncey at 75% or Legursky?

Doesn't really matter seeing as you have us pegged to score 0 points :doh:

mesaSteeler
02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Not looking good for Pouncey, Smith
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/february/03/not-looking-good-for-pouncey-smith.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Thursday February 3, 2011 12:13 AM

FORT WORTH, Texas — When the Steelers practiced Wednesday for the first time in North Texas, they didn’t have Maurkice Pouncey.

No surprise there. The rookie center remains doubtful for Super Bowl XLV as he continues to recover from a severe high ankle sprain.

Coach Mike Tomlin, who listed Pouncey as questionable on his injury report last week, would not even venture to guess if Pouncey will be able to practice by Friday.

“He’s a center with a high ankle sprain. If he played a skill position, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation,” Tomlin said. “But he’s an interior lineman. Whether he practices by Friday depends on how he responds to treatment.”

While the Steelers practiced at the indoor facility at Texas Christian University, Pouncey stayed in the training room getting treatment.

For the second straight day, Pouncey insists he has a 75 percent chance of playing. The hard cast was removed from his left ankle in favor of a protective boot.
Advertisement Click Here

“That’s real good news,” he said.

Doug Legursky has been practicing with the first team in Pouncey’s absence.

“If I can’t play, trust me, the next guy will step in,” Pouncey said. “Doug Legursky is a great player.”

Tomlin conceded that defensive end Aaron Smith has virtually no chance of being in uniform Sunday. When asked if he had any hope that Smith would play, Tomlin said, “I do, but it’s fading.”

Smith suffered a torn triceps in the Oct. 24 win in Miami and hasn’t played since. Smith is listed as questionable. But even Smith admits that’s bogus.

“It’s hard. It’s been difficult,” said Smith, who only worked out on a limited basis Wednesday. “Obviously, you want to go out there and contribute and help the team win. But I also don’t want to put myself in a situation where I hurt the team.”

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Would you rather have Pouncey at 75% or Legursky?

I'd put Pouncey in at 75% for as long as he could play, then I'd put Legursky in.

MACH1
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd put Pouncey in at 75% for as long as he could play, then I'd put Legursky in.

I don't know. I think I'd rather have a guy who can go 100% in the SB. :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Steelers practice report: Pouncey still not on field
Thursday, February 03, 2011
By Peter King, Pro Football Writers of America

With no change in the injury situation to two prominent starters, Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger stole the show at the Steelers' second practice of Super Bowl week at Texas Christian University Thursday, throwing red-zone touchdown passes on four straight plays on a sharp afternoon.

The Steelers worked mostly on nickel and red-zone offensive and defensive situations for exactly two hours in the Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility on the TCU campus. For the second straight day, defensive end Aaron Smith, idle since Oct. 24 with a torn triceps, was limited in practice and didn't play in any scrimmage work, while center Maurkice Pouncey (high ankle sprain) wasn't present. He was inside the Horned Frogs' training room getting rehab on the right ankle. Coach Mike Tomlin said he didn't know if Pouncey would practice Friday, but said time is growing short for the rookie center to prove he can be mobile enough to play in Sunday's game against Green Bay.

"It's getting to be the witching hour for Maurkice,'' Tomlin said after practice. "He's going to have to show us something very soon.''

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/1122800-66.stm

SteelersBry79
02-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't know. I think I'd rather have a guy who can go 100% in the SB. :noidea:

I kind of agree with you, but Pouncey can play some, let him play. Alternate between centers, that may throw the Packers off.

Steelers practice report: Pouncey still not on field
Thursday, February 03, 2011
By Peter King, Pro Football Writers of America

With no change in the injury situation to two prominent starters, Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger stole the show at the Steelers' second practice of Super Bowl week at Texas Christian University Thursday, throwing red-zone touchdown passes on four straight plays on a sharp afternoon.

The Steelers worked mostly on nickel and red-zone offensive and defensive situations for exactly two hours in the Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility on the TCU campus. For the second straight day, defensive end Aaron Smith, idle since Oct. 24 with a torn triceps, was limited in practice and didn't play in any scrimmage work, while center Maurkice Pouncey (high ankle sprain) wasn't present. He was inside the Horned Frogs' training room getting rehab on the right ankle. Coach Mike Tomlin said he didn't know if Pouncey would practice Friday, but said time is growing short for the rookie center to prove he can be mobile enough to play in Sunday's game against Green Bay.

"It's getting to be the witching hour for Maurkice,'' Tomlin said after practice. "He's going to have to show us something very soon.''

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/1122800-66.stm

Glad to read that about Smith, but I have a feeling he's not playing Sunday, which is a shame. After all he's been though, he deserves to play.

Reading about Ben having a good practice has got my anxiety at a lower level for now. Whenever I read Ben's having a good practice, that usually means he's going to be ready for the game.

I really want Pouncey out there tomorrow for practice, but I have a strong feeling he's not going to be, but hopefully he proves us all wrong.

pete74
02-04-2011, 04:17 AM
By Simon Evans

DALLAS, Feb 3 (Reuters) - Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey(notes) missed practice for a second straight day on Thursday with a sprained left ankle and coach Mike Tomlin said his availability for the Super Bowl is in question.

“It’s getting to be the witching hour for Maurkice,” Tomlin told reporters after practice. “He’s going to have to show us something very soon.”

Pouncey’s injury has been categorized as a high ankle sprain and he arrived in Dallas on Monday on crutches and has not trained.

The talented rookie will be replaced by the versatile Doug Legurksy if he is unable to play in Sunday’s Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.

Prior to practice, Pouncey said there was a good chance he would take part in Friday’s session but acknowledged that if he did not his starting place was lost.

“If I am out there, I will play and if I’m not, I won’t play. It’s still a 75 percent chance. I am not doing any running yet,” said Pouncey.

“We aren’t going to push it that far yet. The biggest issue is the swelling. It’s not all out yet and I’m trying to get all the rotation back into my ankle. It’s been going good.” (Editing by Frank Pingue; To query or comment

Buddha Bus
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
aaron rodgers interview goes wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqPecGe7MkI

:doh: Stupid.

And what exactly does this have to do with Pouncey's or Smith's playing status?

FanSince72
02-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I think Tomlin has just been playing the "Pouncey Card" all week for strategic reasons and that he's always known that Pouncey will not be playing.

I think he's kept the idea alive for two reasons.
1. It takes the limelight and the pressure off Legursky (has anyone even mentioned his name all week?) so that he can focus and practice and not have to answer a billion questions about how nervous he'll be.
2. It forces McCarthy to have to at least entertain the thought that Pouncey might be back which makes him have to work harder to game plan for either Pouncey or Legs.

But I don't think that anyone really believes that Pouncey will play or that if he does, will be anything close to 100%.

pete74
02-04-2011, 01:28 PM
honestly, if Legursky plays the way he did last week then i would rather see him in there over a injured Pouncey anyway. its obvious Pouncey strained or tore a ligiment and its worse then expected and even if he could play the question should be "should he"

Pittsburgh43
02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Pouncey missed practice today and is out for the Super Bowl.

This was just Breaking News on ESPN.

Buddha Bus
02-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Pouncey missed practice today and is out for the Super Bowl.

This was just Breaking News on ESPN.

Hmmmmmm. :scratchchin:

Could you do all of us a favor and run around and post this news in twelve different threads and tell everybody "I told you so"? That would be really helpful. :chuckle:

Honestly, this sucks, but it's not surprising. Looks like Legursky's "next man up"! :tt03:

acidburn517
02-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I1. It takes the limelight and the pressure off Legursky (has anyone even mentioned his name all week?) so that he can focus and practice and not have to answer a billion questions about how nervous he'll be.

I think this was the primary reason for Tomlin keeping up the will he/won't he game about Pouncey. After Kemo spilled the beans, I think a lot of people kind of figured that was it for Pouncey but because Tomlin managed to spin it and make Pouncey a big deal, Legursky been free to prepare without the additional pressure. I think it was a genius move.

Buddha Bus
02-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I think this was the primary reason for Tomlin keeping up the will he/won't he game about Pouncey. After Kemo spilled the beans, I think a lot of people kind of figured that was it for Pouncey but because Tomlin managed to spin it and make Pouncey a big deal, Legursky been free to prepare without the additional pressure. I think it was a genius move.

I think it may have had a better effect if Kemo hadn't let the cat out of the bag. :doh:

I think you're right, though. Legursky probably had much less pressure on him with the rumor circulating of Pouncey possibly playing. If it only helped in that regard, it was a good move by Tomlin.

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Peter King confirms Aaron Smith is out too.

http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/33628605200203776

MattsMe
02-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Peter King confirms Aaron Smith is out too.

http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/33628605200203776

Expect a Smith OUT!!!!!!!!! thread to be started soon. :coffee:

pete74
02-04-2011, 03:55 PM
i think we all knew smith wasnt playing. i perfer Hood anyway

Farrior_roirraW
02-04-2011, 09:23 PM
i think we all knew smith wasnt playing. i perfer Hood anyway

:thumbsup::tt03:

El Nino
02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
hood > smith at this point in their careers.

i love smith, but the torch has been passed

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Failed gamble on losing a 4th round draft choice on the waiver wire to leave a spot for A. Smith

Maybe the coaches concluded Fred Gibson was never going to make it or it helped morale on a veteran team by leaving the door open for Smith to possibly return:noidea:

pete74
02-05-2011, 06:02 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers placed rookie Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey(notes) on injured reserve with a high ankle sprain.

They promoted rookie center-guard Dorian Brooks(notes) from the practice squqad.

Brooks, 23, is a 6-foot-2, 306-pound undrafted free agent from James Madison.

Pouncey and defensive end Aaron Smith(notes) (triceps) are both out for Sunday's Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

The Steelers conducted their final walkthrough today at Texas Christian.

And family members were allowed to attend practice.

“Nothing else was normal,” Tomlin told ESPN Dallas pool reporter Calvin Watkins. "“But there’s not a lot about this week that is, so we’re not going to fight against it. We're going to embrace it.”

The Steelers posed for a team/family photo at the 50-yard line.

“It’s two-fold,” Tomlin said. “We want to honor them of course because their love and support is the reason why these men are here. But also we use them to a degree because we had to get some work done today and nothing outside of the white lines was normal but let’s face it, nothing tomorrow night outside the white lines is going to be normal.

"This is a mock game for us, it represented just that. It was unique in terms of the people that were outside the field but the work we got done inside the white lines was very normal for a Saturday.”

Former Steelers John Stallworth and Mel Blount were at practice as well as TCU coach Gary Patterson annd Steeler owners Dan Rooney and Art Rooney II.

Among the people watching practice was Dan Rooney and Art Rooney II, TCU football coach Gary Patterson and Steelers greats John Stallworth and Mel Blount.

steeltheone
02-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Failed gamble on losing a 4th round draft choice on the waiver wire to leave a spot for A. Smith

Maybe the coaches concluded Fred Gibson was never going to make it or it helped morale on a veteran team by leaving the door open for Smith to possibly return:noidea:

Fred Gibson? Thaddeus Gibson Lol We knew what you meant!