PDA

View Full Version : Overlooking Mendenhall

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Okay, I have already watched 2 different programs previewing the Super Bowl game. And all I have heard is how the Steelers will have trouble with the Packers spread, wide-open passing attack on that good Dallas stadium turf. That the steelers won't have their defense being helped out by the cruddy field that they have had the past two weeks. But why is no one mentioning that Mendenhall, who not only has had to face two of the top-4 rundefenses in the league in Baltimore and the Jets, but who also is a PURE One-step cutback runner who THRIVES on this type of surface ?

At Illinois, this was the ame turf he played on when he set many national rushing records that still hold to this day. And Green Bay, as much as their rush defense numbers have Improved in the playoffs, were only 18th in Run defense during the season. I feel with our huge guys up front, and Green Bay's rather smallish defensive front, we can easily run on these guys. And IF Green Bay commits alot up front to stop our rushing attack, then we have them in single coverage if we pass. And since Ward and Miller, as well as Brown if he is in there are all great on quick hitter types of passing plays, I really don't see how the Packers are gonna stop us from long, time consuming drives.

I think Mendenhall could have a HUGE Day in Super Bowl 45 fans :applaudit:

casteeler
01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
First the Steelers were ranked 16th in the power rankings .Then all the boneheads said they wouldn't fair well in the north, coming into the playoffs the ratbirds were supposed to kick our a*# es at home. Finally the Jets were going to take care of buisness and now the Pack have the clear advantage( as i heard one commentator put it)? Please, let the hate,jelousy and doubting go in one ear and out the other! The Steelers could win back to back SB rings and Ben could throw for 450 and run two in and the Steelers will still be considered sub-par and Ben somewhere in between Phillip Rivers and Carson Palmer

chitownpit
01-24-2011, 04:16 PM
I think Mendy could have a great day against any defence on any field.
He just posscess a blend of speed , power , and quick feet in the hole .
He has also mastered a terrific spin move the country has`nt seen yet
but steeler fans seen all year leaving tacklers grasping air. I dont care how dangerous people think Rogers is . Just ask Sancheese how tuff it is to score
standing on the sideline for twelve minutes of every quarter ?

grward
01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
I wonder how much of a homer I must be, b/c I never see it the same way as the analysist. Do the they really dislike the Steelers or are they more objective? :huh:

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Mendenhall could run for 200 yards, but thats not going to help the defense against Aaron Rogers. Thats why he's being overrlooked at the moment. And if Pouncey doesn't play, you can forget the run game.

Merchant
01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Mendenhall could run for 200 yards, but thats not going to help the defense against Aaron Rogers. Thats why he's being overrlooked at the moment. And if Pouncey doesn't play, you can forget the run game.

Even after Pouncey went down, the run game was gashing the Jets D for big gains. In the NFC Championship matt forte had a lot of nice runs too, and that's running behind probably the worst O-Line in the league.

steelax04
01-24-2011, 04:38 PM

Forget the run game? I think they did alright after Pouncey went out... but maybe I was watching a different game. :noidea:

chitownpit
01-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Were over looked by over paid washed up players and anylists who are
trying to sell the flash of the game . Their trying to sell you high flying circus
acts , high scoring teams , with flashy players . They dont want to have to
sell our brand of football.

Like Tomlin says , It wasn`t pretty , but i dont count style points.
A win is a win ........

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Forget the run game? I think they did alright after Pouncey went out... but maybe I was watching a different game. :noidea:

They ran decently after Pouncey left, but it was clear after the game went on, him not being that was effecting that line. They weren't picking up run blitzes well enough and seemed to struggle in the passing game as well. You can bet the offensive coaches on the Steelers staff are thinking this way as well. But as fans I guess we're more worried about winning and not the small details.

steelax04
01-24-2011, 05:13 PM
They had 45 yards in the first drive with Pouncey for 5 YPC. Then 128 and a 2 TD after that without him for a 4.3 YPC (which is a little deceiving since the 2 TDs were for a whopping 3 yards and I took out Ben's four kneels for -7 yards). I'm not disagreeing with you that Pouncey changes the face of the Steelers line, I just think that saying "forget the run without Pouncey in there" is a little extreme, especially against a suspect GB front line as was noted by Merchant. If there was a substantial drop to say 3 or less, then maybe I'd be overly concerned.

And for another 'detail' Mendy running for 200 yards would be extremely effective against Rodgers... it will keep him off the field. That's the best help the offense could give the defense. Just imagine two or three 9 minute drives like they put on the Jets.

Dino 6 Rings
01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
yeah...pretty sure after the way we ran the ball yesterday that the Packers aren't over looking the Steelers running game.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM
He had 121 total yards. So thats 76 without Pouncey and an even less YPC total without Pouncey. Also take into consideration the shuffle pass Ben gave Mendenhall when he was in the open, that was like a 20 yard run and was counted in his rushing yards. So behind a line without Pouncey on actual run plays he only had like 50 something yards with an average of 2.5-3 yards per carry.

Steelers kept running all game because it worked at the begining of the game, if the Packers shut it down early, Arians wont think twice before abandoning the run and pass 90% for the rest of the game.

steelax04
01-24-2011, 05:50 PM
He had 121 total yards. So thats 76 without Pouncey and an even less YPC total without Pouncey. Also take into consideration the shuffle pass Ben gave Mendenhall when he was in the open, that was like a 20 yard run and was counted in his rushing yards. So behind a line without Pouncey on actual run plays he only had like 50 something yards with an average of 2.5-3 yards per carry.

Steelers kept running all game because it worked at the begining of the game, if the Packers shut it down early, Arians wont think twice before abandoning the run and pass 90% for the rest of the game.

My first post was overall running game since you referenced the running game as a whole, not just Mendenhall...

Mendenhall with Pouncey: 7 carries/27yards/3.85 YPC
Mendenhall without Pouncey: 20 carries/94 yards/4.7 YPC
Mendenhall without Pouncey on 'actual running plays' (not sure why the 'shuffle' pass isn't an actual running play b/c it was more like an option): 19 carries/59 yards/3.10 YPC

Taking out the option play is like how everyone said "If Willie didn't have that 75 yard run, his YPC would have been 0.0001 YPC and blah, blah, blah..."

I love what Pouncey brings to the table and the line is greatly improved with him on the field, but I don't think he's the the only chance of having a successful running game against GB.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM
GB likes to blitz alot on the outside but that can hurt them very easily. If he can get through the first phase of defenders he could take it

El Nino
01-24-2011, 06:58 PM
GB likes to blitz alot on the outside but that can hurt them very easily. If he can get through the first phase of defenders he could take it

green bay was also 18th in the league in rush defense. a little below average, i'm hoping for rashard to have an MVP performance.

deathrow821
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I think Mendy is primed to have an MVP caliber game against the Packers. He went off against the Jets (the fifth ranked rush defense) and now we play the 18th ranked rush defense. I think he's about to have a huge game. Thoughts?

steelax04
01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Older thread (and I mean older than 10 hours... haha), but I think it may be what you're looking for

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=67925

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I think Mendy is primed to have an MVP caliber game against the Packers. He went off against the Jets (the fifth ranked rush defense) and now we play the 18th ranked rush defense. I think he's about to have a huge game. Thoughts?

Yeah, what is Green Bay ranked in Run defense NOW...In these playoffs ?

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Current playoff team stats for run defense.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2010&seasonType=POST&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

El Nino
01-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, what is Green Bay ranked in Run defense NOW...In these playoffs ?

those stats are a little skewed.

atlanta for some reason was willing to get into a shootout, only running michael turner 10 times. and played the eagles who for some odd reason don't believe in running the ball. Is their leading rusher michael vick? lol.

Chicago was the only running team they played and forte had a big game. Mendenhall is better imo.

I still don't understand atlanta's game play. they came out airing the ball and michael turner was having a decent game, but they never looked like they even tried to establish the run game

Packerstud
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Your running game is overlooked because your O line is suspect. Now with an injured Pouncey we can focus on containing Ben

El Nino
01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Your running game is overlooked because your O line is suspect. Now with an injured Pouncey we can focus on containing Ben

suspect at pass blocking I'd agree. We still have a good run blocking line.

UF-Steeler
01-25-2011, 01:05 PM

There is a good chance Pouncey will play.

deathrow821
01-25-2011, 02:41 PM
That inverted wishbone we came out with looked like it helped a lot after Pouncey went down. Hopefully we use it some more against Green Bay.