PDA

View Full Version : NFL Titles: Green Bay 12, Pittsburgh 6

UMBC79
01-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Although the Steelers have won six Super Bowls, they still have some catching up to do. Green Bay's 12 Titles is the record. Lombardi was probably the greatest coach in NFL history.

The Pack has won 3 Super Bowls and won the NFL Championship 9 times before the Super Bowl was created.

El Nino
01-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Although the Steelers have won six Super Bowls, they still have some catching up to do. Green Bay's 12 Titles is the record. Lombardi was probably the greatest coach in NFL history.

The Pack has won 3 Super Bowls and won the NFL Championship 9 times before the Super Bowl was created.

I care this much: |---|

43Hitman
01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
:yawn:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-24-2011, 07:17 PM
And the Browns have won 8 NFL Championships...

LukesDad88
01-24-2011, 07:19 PM
The Pre-Merger NFL Championships carry as much weight as a Conference Championship today.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 07:20 PM

Yeah and Ben has TWICE as many as EVERY single current Green Bay Packer :applaudit:

lionslicer
This is something that ticks me off sometimes. People say the Steelers have the most superbowl vicotries, which they do, but they don't have the most championships by a longshot. The Browns even have more with 8.

True there were less teams, but no playoffs, so 2nd seed and 6th seed teams like the Packers wouldn't even get the chance to win anything. Even in highschool leagues, there is like 12 teams and there is still some playoff system. There was a 1-8 team in playoffs in pittsburgh once...

But anyways... I think I just watch NFL films too much, I have way more appriciation for the NFL and AFL pre-superbowl era.

StainlessStill
I don't care about anything that happened before the SB era. Hell, NE has more SB wins than the '66 or '67 team. The Steelers on the other hand have 6 SBs in the SB era. The league we see NOW was defined by the AFL/NF megerL/Super Bowl era. Anytime before this is labeled as a slight accomplishment when the game was still growing.

SteelCityMom
Not to take anything away from that, cause they were (and still are IMO) one of the greatest NFL franchises ever, but that's like Detriot Red Wings fans bragging that they've won 11 Stanley Cups (when 7 of them were won with 6 teams in the league). :noidea:

We all know it, and we all know the teams were really good then, but it's much harder to win a Lombardi than it was to win an NFL Championship.

Sixburgher
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
The Pre-Merger NFL Championships carry as much weight as a Conference Championship today.

Especially the ones that were "won" based on having the best record in a 12 team league before a championship game was even played over the likes of the Minneapolis Red Jackets, Staten Island Stapletons and the Frankford Yellow Jackets.

No argument with the Lombardi claim, though.

SteelHaven
01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Still counts for something and gives the Steelers something to aim for

LukesDad88
01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
The first three was back when the NFL just awarded the Championship to the team that had the best record. So, those shouldn't really be taken into consideration. The next three carry the same weight as having won Conference Championships The 3 SB's are legit, thoughs. So, 7Conference Championships and 3 Superbowl Wins vs 8 Conf Championshps and 6 Superbowl Wins.

mesaSteeler
01-24-2011, 07:31 PM

Not even that much considering how much smaller the leagues were then. Football wasn't the king of sports it is now back in 50s and early 60s. Baseball was king then not football. So these so called "Championships" mean as much as rollerball championships do now.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Green Bay has won this many :blah::blah::blah: Pittsburgh has won this many :blah::blah::blah:

Seriously,,,ALL I care about is who is gonna win the one on Feb 6th, 2011 :tt04:

mcg24
01-24-2011, 07:35 PM
This could be the most profound thread I have ever seen. Great work!

pete74
01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
i dont know anything about football presuper bowl so all i really know and care about is how many super bowls a team won

SteelHaven
01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
The first three was back when the NFL just awarded the Championship to the team that had the best record. So, those shouldn't really be taken into consideration. The next three carry the same weight as having won Conference Championships The 3 SB's are legit, thoughs. So, 7Conference Championships and 3 Superbowl Wins vs 8 Conf Championshps and 6 Superbowl Wins.

It's easy for us to sit here and say that anything won in the 20's shouldn't be taken into consideration. But I respect that those teams still went out with the schedule and format that was given to them, played the game (And i'm sure it was just as hard-nosed smash mouth as ever) and won. We can't take anything away from them

Edit: 30's or 40's when they first played with pads? I don't remember.

bozz723
01-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't think anyone besides Green Bay and Chicago fans give those championships any sort of merit. The AFL didn't even merge yet, had like 10 teams and was a totally different game.

The only thing that matters is super bowl trophies not trophies from 50 years ago from a different league.

4xSBChamps
01-24-2011, 08:28 PM
It's easy for us to sit here and say that anything won in the 20's shouldn't be taken into consideration. But I respect that those teams still went out with the schedule and format that was given to them, played the game (And i'm sure it was just as hard-nosed smash mouth as ever) and won. We can't take anything away from them.

Frankly, I'm surprised at how-easily my Steeler-brethren ignore the accomplishments won by those who came before us:
beating the opponent before you is all that can be expected to be done.

this 'poo-pooing' of all things pre-1966 will be no-different than the day in the future when Ms. Goodell has teams in London, Paris, Rome & Madrid, and some girdle-wearing bloke says "what the Steelers did before we were in the League is insignificant"

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Welcome - No question the Packers are one of the great franchises

After dealing with the Ravens fans all season and the Jets fans last week it will be a relief to have an opposing team's fan base that has a reputation of being classy and as devoted to their team's record of success as we are to the Steelers :drink::thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't think anyone besides Green Bay and Chicago fans give those championships any sort of merit. The AFL didn't even merge yet, had like 10 teams and was a totally different game.

The only thing that matters is super bowl trophies not trophies from 50 years ago from a different league.

Have to disagree

Those pre-Super Bowl franchises and individuals such as Halas, the Chief, the Maras and Lambeau are the foundation upon which the league was built

steeltank
01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah and Ben has TWICE as many as EVERY single current Green Bay Packer :applaudit:

(John Kuhn)

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
(John Kuhn)

Kuhn has never won sh it!! So what is your point exactly ? :noidea:

HOFCitySteelers
01-24-2011, 09:12 PM
And the Browns have won 8 NFL Championships...

False. The Clownies only have 4 NFL championships.
:tt03::tt03::tt03:

jjpro11
01-24-2011, 09:39 PM
False. The Clownies only have 4 NFL championships.
:tt03::tt03::tt03:

true.. don't let those sneaky bastards try to tell you otherwise when they are arguing with you about Steelers vs Browns. they are inferior any way you spin it.

as for the NFL Championships, i'll gladly trade 9 of those in for the 4 Super Bowls we won with cast of players from the 70s. the Championships are nice, but during this time of the year, it's the teams from the 70s who are always remembered and honored.

Cannonball Butler
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Technically, the leagues didn't merge until 1970. In 66 and 67, the Packers won both the NFL and World Championships(it wasn't called the Super Bowl yet). The Steeler's,Browns, and Colts joined the AFC and interleague play began in 1970.

That means, under the current format, the Steeler's have won 6 Super Bowls and the Packers 1.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Technically, the leagues didn't merge until 1970. In 66 and 67, the Packers won both the NFL and World Championships(it wasn't called the Super Bowl yet). The Steeler's,Browns, and Colts joined the AFC and interleague play began in 1970.

That means, under the current format, the Steeler's have won 6 Super Bowls and the Packers 1.

Packers have 3 lombardi trophies sitting in their stadium that says other wise

The superbowl from 66-69 was still 2 leagues facing each other (it was actually a way for TV stations to get more money). The winner of the AFL championship and the winner of the NFL championship fought for the Superbowl championship. Its like it is today, but we have conferences instead of leagues, and they play each other during the season also.

Cannonball Butler
01-24-2011, 10:32 PM
The Steeler's were in the NFL in 1969 and there were no interleague regular season games between the NFL anf AFL. The format as it exists today, started in 1970.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-24-2011, 10:53 PM

You seem to be operating under the assumption we didn't already know that. :scratchchin:

stlrtruck
01-24-2011, 11:38 PM
I care this much: |---|

Damn dude that's about twice as much as I care. :sofunny: :hatsoff:

MattsMe
01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Kuhn has never won sh it!! So what is your point exactly ? :noidea:

:doh:

You're new around here aren't you?

ricardisimo
01-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Since when does "every single current Green Bay Packer" have a Super Bowl ring? Anthony Smith has one, but only because he was a Steeler in '08. Donald Driver doesn't have one, and he's older than dirt. Almost all of the Packers have zero rings.

I think what you meant to say was that most of the current Steelers have infinitely more Super Bowl rings that almost every single current Packer.

Curdoisseur
01-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Since when does "every single current Green Bay Packer" have a Super Bowl ring? Anthony Smith has one, but only because he was a Steeler in '08. Donald Driver doesn't have one, and he's older than dirt. Almost all of the Packers have zero rings.

I think what you meant to say was that most of the current Steelers have infinitely more Super Bowl rings that almost every single current Packer.

Mathemagicians - doesn't matter how many times you multiply zero, even infinitely so.:chuckle:

Anyways - discounting the Packers' long tradition puts you in line for the next logical leap - the Steelers four Lombardi Trophies from the seventies also didn't happen in an era that can be realistically compared to this era. The game has evolved since that time as well, as has the structure of the league.

I wouldn't suggest for a minute that you, as Steeler fans, forget or belittle the incredible accomplishments of your team in the 1970s - those were some of my favorite non-Packer teams and you should rightly be incredibly proud of them.

Likewise, you'll never convince me that Don Hutson wasn't among the greatest WRs of all time. Could he play today? Who cares! Can't happen, won't happen - what matters is how he played when he played, and at that time he was THE wide receiver in the league, and his accomplishments in his era were real and they were spectacular!

The truth is that both organizations have long and proud histories full of achievement, and that is to be celebrated. What happened in 1976 need not be compared to what happened in any other time. That you had a dynasty in the 70s is as true as that the Packers had a dynasty in the 60s and earlier, but its futile to compare teams that accomplished what they did in such different contexts.

Cheers!:drink:

arodisgod
01-25-2011, 03:59 AM
^^^ amen to that

both teams should be proud of their tradition and legacy in this league. nobody can take away anyting that both franchises has done. imo there would be no NFL without the packers or steelers.

another thing that the packers are taking iinto this super bowl is that if you want to be the man, you have to beat the man. our team knows good and well what this team has done in the past decade.

MDSteel15
01-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Still counts for something and gives the Steelers something to aim for

Bingo!!! :tt03:

plenewken
01-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Mathemagicians - doesn't matter how many times you multiply zero, even infinitely so.:chuckle:

Anyways - discounting the Packers' long tradition puts you in line for the next logical leap - the Steelers four Lombardi Trophies from the seventies also didn't happen in an era that can be realistically compared to this era. The game has evolved since that time as well, as has the structure of the league.

I wouldn't suggest for a minute that you, as Steeler fans, forget or belittle the incredible accomplishments of your team in the 1970s - those were some of my favorite non-Packer teams and you should rightly be incredibly proud of them.

Likewise, you'll never convince me that Don Hutson wasn't among the greatest WRs of all time. Could he play today? Who cares! Can't happen, won't happen - what matters is how he played when he played, and at that time he was THE wide receiver in the league, and his accomplishments in his era were real and they were spectacular!

The truth is that both organizations have long and proud histories full of achievement, and that is to be celebrated. What happened in 1976 need not be compared to what happened in any other time. That you had a dynasty in the 70s is as true as that the Packers had a dynasty in the 60s and earlier, but its futile to compare teams that accomplished what they did in such different contexts.

Cheers!:drink:

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::

Best post in this thread, by far.

tube517
01-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Those pre-merger titles are fine but no one cares about those except Green Bay and NFL Films. They aren't Super Bowls so It Doesn't Matter what they think (think The Rock)

OX1947
01-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Honor the Past. However, any game before this game coming up has zero barring on on the Super Bowl in 2011. Packers won 3 titles before the Steelers even existed. 2 of those titles were at a time where all you needed was the best record in the league and you won the title. The first year they had a title game was in 1933, the same year the Steelers came into the league.

Packers will always be 12 time champs, and my hope is they stay 12 time champs in 12 days. I will take 7 Super Bowls for now.

saveus1011
01-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Me on a quiz just now:

"Name cinematic antagonists - Walter Peck (GHOSTBUSTERS), Green Bay Packers (Super Bowl XLV)"

:D

MDSteel15
01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::

Best post in this thread, by far.

Agree whole heartedly... :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 01:41 PM
and yet...my Signature Says It All

SteelHaven
01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
and yet...my Signature Says It All

I used to think like this too but I respect the game pre Super Bowl era too much to discount NFL Titles. I stand by this: It really should be counted as how many titles a franchise won from 1920-2011. The Steelers had a chance from 1933 to 1966 to achieve a championship and we did not get it done in those days.

Edit: Consider how many Super Bowls we lossed (1) and how many times we failed in AFC Chapionship games where we could have really closed the gap to Green Bays 12 championship.

Steelers still have their work cut out if they wanna catch Green Bay.

SteelWolf62
01-25-2011, 03:08 PM

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Steelerfreak58
01-25-2011, 03:46 PM

LOL Keep trying... once you get some more rings then we can talk.