PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Saw this story, and it kinda upsets me a little IF Roger Goodell doesn't look into it seriously. I mean I HOPE no Steeler players said anything racial to him. But really, should the league look into this ? Cause I wonder what the uproar would be if say a White LB or DE said, " Hey Black Boy, you ain't doin nothing against us "...I wonder how the Jesse Jackson's and Al Sharpton's of the world would react ?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/nfl-running-back-taunted-for-being-white/

cubanstogie
01-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Is there really such a thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism to me. I know its not the point of the thread just curious. Could you imagine If a defense were yelling at Vick or Vince young no Ni--er is going to pass on us.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 10:57 PM
It's wrong. Goodelle should look into it and remind players that using race (even if it is just to try to psych out) is not acceptable. That is a bad example for kids.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 11:01 PM
It's wrong. Goodelle should look into it and remind players that using race (even if it is just to try to psych out) is not acceptable. That is a bad example for kids.

I agree. I know saying White Boy is not as bad as saying the N word. But still, as I said, if a White player refered to a African-American as Black Boy, you KNOW there would be a national outrage from the media. And since we played them twice, I hope no one on our team ever said that to him.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Smack talk on the field is completely legal. Obviously race is an issue, if Hillis said some racial thing to a black player and that black player attacked him, he wouldn't get in trouble because Hillis was being racist and deserved to get beat. But if a black player is racist towards Hillis and he attacks a black player, he'd probably get expelled from the league.

But again all smack talk is legal, racist or not...

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Smack talk on the field is completely legal. Obviously race is an issue, if Hillis said some racial thing to a black player and that black player attacked him, he wouldn't get in trouble because Hillis was being racist and deserved to get beat. But if a black player is racist towards Hillis and he attacks a black player, he'd probably get expelled from the league.

Bottom line is race needs too be removed from the equation. The NFL is a professional league. I don't think it will be a big problem. It is just something that needs to be addressed. I think with the momo/warning, it will stop.

sarahpalinhater
01-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Racial Smack talk is NOT Legal dude, get serious. There is a moral code in the league. And I guarantee you if any White player refered to a Black player as " Hey Black Boy, you ain't getting nothin " against us, that White player would be fined and suspended. And you can bet your life on that. As long as there is a Jesse Jackson and a Al Sharpton around. But what worries me is that I don't think the league office will think the term " White Boy " as racist. And that my friend IS a Double standard.

I guarantee you I'm gonna be watching this. And see how Goodell handles it.

lionslicer
01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Racial Smack talk is NOT Legal dude, get serious. There is a moral code in the league. And I guarantee you if any White player refered to a Black player as " Hey Black Boy, you ain't getting nothin " against us, that White player would be fined and suspended. And you can bet your life on that. As long as there is a Jesse Jackson and a Al Sharpton around. But what worries me is that I don't think the league office will think the term " White Boy " as racist. And that my friend IS a Double standard.

There is no real NFL rule about saying anything on the field. They provide warnings not to swear, but we've all watched the NFL on tv, you can hear them swearing. No one gets fined for it no one will. Out of the 40 years since the merger, I'm sure there has been some redneck players that were racist calling out black players, but whens the last time anyone got in trouble for it?

Individual teams actually are supposed to fine players for any on field actions that they seem wrong that isn't covered by the NFL rules.

Now if a player complained to the media like "Peyton Manning called me the N word" you could get Jesse Jackson to step in and demand something be done. The NFL will gladly fine Peyton, but its not in the rules. If the player complains to Goodell about it, but says he wont go public with the information, no one will get fined because its technically legal.

NFL tried to regulate trash talk on the field before the merger but it didn't work out too well, everyone just ended up getting fined every game, so they just let them do whatever. They are men, they want to swear and yell at each other. Science shows in the heat of emotion a person will let out feelings that they don't truely believe.

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 11:49 PM

I agree but before we overreact, first make sure Goodell knows about it. If he hears about it, I guarantee he will send out a memo.

There is no real NFL rule about saying anything on the field. They provide warnings not to swear, but we've all watched the NFL on tv, you can hear them swearing. No one gets fined for it no one will. Out of the 40 years since the merger, I'm sure there has been some redneck players that were racist calling out black players, but whens the last time anyone got in trouble for it?

There is a general race code of conduct that applies like in all professional businesses. Sure in the past, people got away with such things but times have changed...that's what makes us better and the past wrong.

El Nino
01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
it's because over the years, the name of the position was renamed to running black, cause there's no white guys at that position lol

lionslicer
01-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree but before we overreact, first make sure Goodell knows about it. If he hears about it, I guarantee he will send out a memo.

There is a general race code of conduct that applies like in all professional businesses. Sure in the past, people got away with such things but times have changed...that's what makes us better and the past wrong.

Well obviously there is conduct policies for the NFL and teams and teams have the right to conduct their players however they wish within the general NFL rules.

I understand the whole double standard about racism towards white people, its been like that my whole life, you can't even bring it up without people pulling out the slavery card and all the troubles whitey has given to blacks. But thats not my point, my point is racism and such is part of trash tralk (whether you agree with it or not) which is allowed and it will never be regulated on the field to the point that people want it to be. Sure there will be warnings and refs will say stop it, and players usually obey the refs, but it wont stop. Even if players start getting fined and suspended over it, its just the emotions of the game. If it escaladed into a fight, someone would be in trouble, but as long as players just go "well F you" and walk back to their sideline, no one gets in trouble.

Off the field it is constantly regulated though. We see players fined for saying stupid things with the media, on twitter, or just anywhere that gets publicized. But I just don't see anyway it would be successful on the field.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I understand the whole double standard about racism towards white people, its been like that my whole life, you can't even bring it up without people pulling out the slavery card and all the troubles whitey has given to blacks.

Actually. That's the part I'm not interested in. I'm not interested in people using this as an agenda/ platform for other tings they are feeling in society.

my point is racism and such is part of trash tralk (whether you agree with it or not) which is allowed and it will never be regulated on the field to the point that people want it to be.

Here is where we disagree. Race need not be part of trash talking and we can stop it. It stops when you say it is wrong, send out a memo and use peer pressure with possible fines. These players have white friends on their teams so if their friends tell them they disagree with using it, it would make a difference too.

Once the memo is sent out, each coach should be responsible for managing his own players and any violations should be reported to the league. I don't think most use it so you can't let a few street thugs cast a shadow on all people in the league.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
don't care what they call him...he'd look good in the Black and Gold...that's all I know...watched him in College and he got buried on the Houston Nutt roster behind McFadden and Felix Jones...

seriously...Hillis, Jones and McFadden in the Backfield...sickest running game I've ever seen live.

TRH
01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I agree. I know saying White Boy is not as bad as saying the N word. But still, as I said, if a White player refered to a African-American as Black Boy, you KNOW there would be a national outrage from the media. And since we played them twice, I hope no one on our team ever said that to him.

White Boy.
Black Boy.
Its the same exact thing and should be treated identically. The way it goes is that they'll look into the "black boy" thing more and on a higher level. Thats what promotes racism in the 1st place.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 03:54 PM
White Boy.
Black Boy.
Its the same exact thing and should be treated identically. The way it goes is that they'll look into the "black boy" thing more and on a higher level. Thats what promotes racism in the 1st place.

BINGO.

I know racism is wrong, but trying to force people to not be racist and pretending it only goes one way (the hell is reverse racism?) does nothing to further anyone's cause. It only makes it worse.

Saying "the N word" is just as bad as saying ******. You automatically put the thought in someone's head whether you beat around the bush about it or flat out say it.

You aren't going to change anyones thoughts by fining them either. I would think if something racist were said on the field that knocking them down and making a huge play would hurt them more.

The whole sociological effort (that goes way beyond football) to make everyone equal in other people's minds will always fail miserably. You can not order people to think others are equal. It may sound harsh, but it's true. I'm not saying we should take away the equal rights the government has given to all people (based on sex, race, religion, whatnot)....I'm just saying that you're not going to change the way people actually think if they don't want to change the way they think.

Just my :twocents:

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 04:46 PM
BINGO.

You aren't going to change anyones thoughts by fining them either. I would think if something racist were said on the field that knocking them down and making a huge play would hurt them more.

The whole sociological effort (that goes way beyond football) to make everyone equal in other people's minds will always fail miserably. You can not order people to think others are equal. It may sound harsh, but it's true. I'm not saying we should take away the equal rights the government has given to all people (based on sex, race, religion, whatnot)....I'm just saying that you're not going to change the way people actually think if they don't want to change the way they think.

Just my :twocents:

I think there is a difference between thoughts and actions. You can't control what someone thinks but you can control actions. Football is a professional sport so they need to act like professionals.

The difference is the actions/words are things that others have to deal with.

I think the sociological effort has been a huge success (but this depends on where you live). It is not perfect because people are not perfect but a lot of progress has been made. Even the not wanting to appear racist is good. There was a time when that was the popular thing. Peer pressure helped that. People want to be thought of as good and cool.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I think there is a difference between thoughts and actions. You can't control what someone thinks but you can control actions. Football is a professional sport so they need to act like professionals.

The difference is the actions/words are things that others have to deal with.

I think the sociological effort has been a huge success (but this depends on where you live). It is not perfect because people are not perfect but a lot of progress has been made. Even the not wanting to appear racist is good. There was a time when that was the popular thing. Peer pressure helped that. People want to be thought of as good and cool.

No, I know...and I'm not saying that anybody should just go around and say whatever they want, but I just don't like the talk of having leagues owners or the NAACP step in and handle something like racial slurs being slung around.

It's just how I feel. I also think it should be legal for you to receive an ass kicking for making racial slurs to someone's face. :chuckle: That would stop more people from doing it than anything else.

I disagree with you about not wanting to appear racist. I think that's worse than actually stating how you feel. The North for a long time didn't want "to appear racist", but they were worse in some of their actions and laws than the South. If you don't like someone or something, just say it. Thinking and acting one way in front of a certain group and differently in front of another just makes you a hypocritical asshole. I'd rather know where someone stands from the get go....if that makes any sense.

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 07:03 PM
No, I know...and I'm not saying that anybody should just go around and say whatever they want, but I just don't like the talk of having leagues owners or the NAACP step in and handle something like racial slurs being slung around.

It's just how I feel. I also think it should be legal for you to receive an ass kicking for making racial slurs to someone's face. :chuckle: That would stop more people from doing it than anything else.

I disagree with you about not wanting to appear racist. I think that's worse than actually stating how you feel. The North for a long time didn't want "to appear racist", but they were worse in some of their actions and laws than the South. If you don't like someone or something, just say it. Thinking and acting one way in front of a certain group and differently in front of another just makes you a hypocritical asshole. I'd rather know where someone stands from the get go....if that makes any sense.

Mom I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make. I mean bottom line is that is I...as a caucasian player yelled accross the Line of scrimmage to a RB who was African-American and uttered,," Hey Black BOY!...You ain't gettin sh it against us "..
well Mom you Damn well know that would be lead story number one throughout the freaking nation. It would get more national pub then tonights " State of the Union Address " And if you don'y feel that way Mom, then you're not living in reality.

Also, even though the WORLD may not think so, but I say the word " Honky" is every bit as egregious as the " N " word. But, say that to a white player, or call a White RB
as a " White Boy "...and Zippo,,,nothing happens. Belive me Mom,,,it was the " Black Caucus of America " that got, or forced Goodell to suspend Ben. Cause they thought that their Hero...M.Vick was treated unfairly before he was ever convicted. It was Black pressure. But,,,any organazation that tried to PUSH these comments made against WHITE P.Hillis against certain BLACK player...won't be called anything other then a version of White Supremacy Mom.

And that is the Bottom line.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Mom I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make. I mean bottom line is that is I...as a caucasian player yelled accross the Line of scrimmage to a RB who was African-American and uttered,," Hey Black BOY!...You ain't gettin sh it against us "..
well Mom you Damn well know that would be lead story number one throughout the freaking nation. It would get more national pub then tonights " State of the Union Address " And if you don'y feel that way Mom, then you're not living in reality.

Also, even though the WORLD may not think so, but I say the word " Honky" is every bit as egregious as the " N " word. But, say that to a white player, or call a White RB
as a " White Boy "...and Zippo,,,nothing happens. Belive me Mom,,,it was the " Black Caucus of America " that got, or forced Goodell to suspend Ben. Cause they thought that their Hero...M.Vick was treated unfairly before he was ever convicted. It was Black pressure. But,,,any organazation that tried to PUSH these comments made against WHITE P.Hillis against certain BLACK player...won't be called anything other then a version of White Supremacy Mom.

And that is the Bottom line.

I never said there wasn't a double standard. I don't know how you got that out of what I wrote. :noidea:

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Mom, then you are saying that the league should take this as seriously as if it were a White player saying " Hey Black Boy!...right ? Then why no outrage from you ? Or the nation ?

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM

As far as owners etc stepping in saying how they want people to be treated on their team and the kind of image they would like to project, i see nothing wrong with it. it is a business and these players are representing their teams. Their actions could cost the teams money.

I understand what you are saying about being true to yourself but with race, sometimes keeping things manageable for people is good. Keeping a clean atmosphere is helpful. I think peer pressure has worked in a positive way overall. It is true there are things people would like to say that can't be said that should be addressed. Maybe that's what you are getting at. But overall, I don't mind people keeping their individual thoughts to themselves and keeping a clean atmosphere.

It's just like with women. If we didn't protect the atmosphere, it would be a mess. There would be guys thinking these "B's" , etc. We can't stop people from thinking that but enforcing an environment where women are comfortable that they do not have to receive such treatment takes precedent. i don't really care what these guys are "feeling". They can discuss it when they get home. Same with race.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Mom, then you are saying that the league should take this as seriously as if it were a White player saying " Hey Black Boy!...right ? Then why no outrage from you ? Or the nation ?

Do you think the league would step in if they called him fag boy? Nope. I don't think the league (at least Goodell) in any case. If the team wants to have some kind of policy against trash talking, then they can take care of it on their own.

Honestly...I don't get offended easily. I could care less if someone makes a sexist remark towards me. Who are they? Just some insecure asshat. Why would I get "outraged". Too many people with thin skin in this country anymore.

And yes, I realize it comes off as a bit harsh, but that's the reality of it. You can try to make rules and regulations and laws against what people say, but you'll never stop the way they think.

But I do agree with you that the double standards are bad...but I don't think there should be whining and outrage either way. Just hit the dude and get over it.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 07:54 PM
As far as owners etc stepping in saying how they want people to be treated on their team and the kind of image they would like to project, i see nothing wrong with it. it is a business and these players are representing their teams. Their actions could cost the teams money.

I understand what you are saying about being true to yourself but with race, sometimes keeping things manageable for people is good. Keeping a clean atmosphere is helpful. I think peer pressure has worked in a positive way overall. It is true there are things people would like to say that can't be said that should be addressed. Maybe that's what you are getting at. But overall, I don't mind people keeping their individual thoughts to themselves and keeping a clean atmosphere.

It's just like with women. If we didn't protect the atmosphere, it would be a mess. There would be guys thinking these "B's" , etc. We can't stop people from thinking that but enforcing an environment where women are comfortable that they do not have to receive such treatment takes precedent. i don't really care what these guys are "feeling". They can discuss it when they get home. Same with race.

Can't argue too much with your other points...well I could, but it would all be opinion. :chuckle:

As to your last statement...you mean how women are portrayed in such a positive light by the hip hop and MTV community? :chuckle: Don't get me wrong, I like hip hop, and I don't get offended when the talk about bitches, ho's and tricks, but popular culture is definitely not enforcing a comfortable environment lol.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Can't argue too much with your other points...well I could, but it would all be opinion. :chuckle:

As to your last statement...you mean how women are portrayed in such a positive light by the hip hop and MTV community? :chuckle: Don't get me wrong, I like hip hop, and I don't get offended when the talk about bitches, ho's and tricks, but popular culture is definitely not enforcing a comfortable environment lol.
lol on the opinion thing. Mine is opinion also of course.

lol. The same is evident in the rock and heavy metal community even if not in the songs. Those artist aren't so "lovie dovie" respectful to their groupie chicks either.

What I was referring to was "work environment". I really consider the football field a work environment.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Do you think the league would step in if they called him fag boy? Nope. I don't think the league (at least Goodell) in any case. If the team wants to have some kind of policy against trash talking, then they can take care of it on their own.

Honestly...I don't get offended easily. I could care less if someone makes a sexist remark towards me. Who are they? Just some insecure asshat. Why would I get "outraged". Too many people with thin skin in this country anymore.

And yes, I realize it comes off as a bit harsh, but that's the reality of it. You can try to make rules and regulations and laws against what people say, but you'll never stop the way they think.

But I do agree with you that the double standards are bad...but I don't think there should be whining and outrage either way. Just hit the dude and get over it.

LOL.

You brought up an interesting point about "fag boy". It would be more offensive if the person was really gay...lol If the person is not gay, then the player is just saying the other player is girly but if the player is gay and the player is trying to insult him because of it, it is offensive. JMO

I still think you are doing too much of a jump from actions to thoughts. Actions should be regulated in the workplace.

With respect to thoughts, once what is good is offered up, if the person agrees, it is up to that person to legislate his/her own thoughts.

Still,

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 08:18 PM
lol on the opinion thing. Mine is opinion also of course.

lol. The same is evident in the rock and heavy metal community even if not in the songs. Those artist aren't so "lovie dovie" respectful to their groupie chicks either.

What I was referring to was "work environment". I really consider the football field a work environment.

Oh I know...that was more tongue in cheek. Still, I don't think telling people how to think really changes how they think. I mean, it's nice and all that there are groups that want to push this fluffy attitude in terms or sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc...but I just don't think they're doing that much good at all. In reality, I think racism, sexism and bigotry is just as prominent today as it was 50-60 years ago...just some people are afraid to say how they feel in certain situations. It's more veiled. But it's still there.

That's the part I don't like. People want to pretend that things are getting better and that some kind of special group has their back....but that's a fairy tale.

Like I said before, I think (most of) the laws the government has passed to make people equal are a good thing...but you'll never be able to pass a law to change peoples perceptions. And I think hiding the fact that people still think the way they do (i.e. pretending that just because you forbid someone to say something means that race and gender relations are getting better), does more harm than good. There needs to be good honest dialogue to ever make some headway. I'm not sure we'll ever see that though.

Anyway...most of that is off topic and has nothing to do with the OP's story. I do agree that if someone is going to make a huge stink over racial slurs towards blacks (in the NFL or otherwise), then the same stink should be made over white racial slurs. And honestly, the main reason we don't EVER see that kind of stink being made is because, as a race, white people have been made to feel so guilt ridden and are seen as nothing but culprits when it comes to race relations.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2011, 08:25 PM
LOL.

You brought up an interesting point about "fag boy". It would be more offensive if the person was really gay...lol If the person is not gay, then the player is just saying the other player is girly but if the player is gay and the player is trying to insult him because of it, it is offensive. JMO

I still think you are doing too much of a jump from actions to thoughts. Actions should be regulated in the workplace.

With respect to thoughts, once what is good is offered up, if the person agrees, it is up to that person to legislate his/her own thoughts.

Still,

No, I know.

This is just me rambling honestly lol. I know some actions should be regulated, was just sort of going off on a thought tangent. I'll stop now though. :chuckle:

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 11:23 PM
That's the part I don't like. People want to pretend that things are getting better and that some kind of special group has their back....but that's a fairy tale.

Like I said before, I think (most of) the laws the government has passed to make people equal are a good thing...but you'll never be able to pass a law to change peoples perceptions. And I think hiding the fact that people still think the way they do (i.e. pretending that just because you forbid someone to say something means that race and gender relations are getting better), does more harm than good. There needs to be good honest dialogue to ever make some headway. I'm not sure we'll ever see that though.

Anyway...most of that is off topic and has nothing to do with the OP's story. I do agree that if someone is going to make a huge stink over racial slurs towards blacks (in the NFL or otherwise), then the same stink should be made over white racial slurs. And honestly, the main reason we don't EVER see that kind of stink being made is because, as a race, white people have been made to feel so guilt ridden and are seen as nothing but culprits when it comes to race relations.

Yeah...I know what you mean about honest dialogue. I was hoping Obama would bring that but it became hard for him to say "Look when you are well educated, well spoken, not a criminal, work hard, warm hearted, etc. you will be embraced. So focus on self accountability" when he received so much hatred ...some of it which appeared racial. It totally ruined the possible message. Had he been embraced, it would have shown something to many and he could have emphasized that message.

It'll probably take some music artists that are respected to talk to the people...lol