PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Kemo?

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I was listening to the broadcast and I was hearing Simms (I believe) say how kemo was one of our best blockers.

In my mind he had been on the hit list to be replaced.

People have been complaining about RG but to me, RG seems fine. That's not where I see the pressure coming from and we seem to be able to run on that side well.

I thought i would just get opinions as to whether you think Kemo needs to be replaced?

Merchant
01-25-2011, 12:47 AM
He hasn't been having his best season. I was in attendance for the Buffalo game where he had probably the worst game I've ever seen him have. He's also made some really bone-headed plays such as when he came in extremely late into the pile after Mendy scored the go-ahead TD in the Ravens game. However, last season I thought he had a great year - Andy Benoit, one of my favorite sports writers, even had him on his mid-season All Pro team. He's very effective when we pull him to run-block. I wouldn't get rid of him just yet. Give him another season.

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 12:47 AM
If I had a choice I would re-sign Colon and move him to guard, and get rid of Kemo. He is a good run blocker, and can be really physical. But he has a 2 cent head, and his pass blocking is sub par.

tony hipchest
01-25-2011, 12:53 AM

kemo is the left guard. he replaced faneca.

hes done just as well as anyone could expect w/o being a future HOFer.

on the right side is flozell who is an excellent run blocker.

on the left side is max starks' back up.

Aussie Steeler
01-25-2011, 01:08 AM
He played out of his skin in the last game - at least in run blocking. Pass blocking needs work...just as much as everyone else on the o-line bar Pouncey. Kemo really is a good run blocker. Last season he played well also. I would keep him. Ben doesn't need a great pass blocking o-line and Steelers can spend the money on getting a better CB than McFadden, a real FB, replacement for Hampton at NT and whatever else we need. Although, I wouldn't mind a bit of help buffing up the o-line if we do have extra moneys - particularly Scott at LT, which should get better when Starks comes back. Need an upgrade from Foster too at RG.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 01:11 AM
kemo is the left guard. he replaced faneca.

hes done just as well as anyone could expect w/o being a future HOFer.

on the right side is flozell who is an excellent run blocker.

on the left side is max starks' back up.

I know Kemo is the left guard.
What I was saying is I've heard people complaining about the various people we've had in at RG but that seems fine to me and LG was more of a concern to me. It is true that they work as a team so it may be hard to judge Kemo because he has to work near Scott.

Obviously Tomlin wasn't pleased with RG because he did make the switch from Essex to Foster but the blocking at that position seems OK this year to me (at least recently).

LVSteelersfan
01-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Kemo is the one who pulls and totally blows up the other side of the line on those running plays that Mendenhall got in the last game. I like him. Part of his problem in pass pro is Ben and his unpredictability. I don't think anyone can pass block for Ben on a consistent basis. He is not a pocket passer and he holds the ball forever sometimes. I like Kemo because he is a beast.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 01:21 AM
He played out of his skin in the last game - at least in run blocking. Pass blocking needs work...just as much as everyone else on the o-line bar Pouncey. Kemo really is a good run blocker. Last season he played well also. I would keep him. Ben doesn't need a great pass blocking o-line and Steelers can spend the money on getting a better CB than McFadden, a real FB, replacement for Hampton at NT and whatever else we need. Although, I wouldn't mind a bit of help buffing up the o-line if we do have extra moneys - particularly Scott at LT, which should get better when Starks comes back. Need an upgrade from Foster too at RG.

When I watch the replay of the game, I'm going to focus a lot on the line. Foster seems OK to me. I'll look more closely though.

I think Adams does OK. He phonebooths a lot (where you push them around and past the QB). This technique can only be used with a solid center pocket so the QB can just step up. Wen we had a weak center pocket, that was colapsing under Hartwig, it would just look like the tackles were getting beat because Ben couldn't step up so he would step back and get sacked by the guy that was being phoneboothed.

The RG seemed to be OK too.

Pouncey is excellent.

It is the Left side...both Guard and tackle that seemed to me to be the problem. But I'll look again.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Kemo is the one who pulls and totally blows up the other side of the line on those running plays that Mendenhall got in the last game. I like him. Part of his problem in pass pro is Ben and his unpredictability. I don't think anyone can pass block for Ben on a consistent basis. He is not a pocket passer and he holds the ball forever sometimes. I like Kemo because he is a beast.

Cool. Good to hear different opinions. I'm going to be looking next time I watch NFL replay.

Aussie Steeler
01-25-2011, 01:40 AM
When I watch the replay of the game, I'm going to focus a lot on the line. Foster seems OK to me. I'll look more closely though.

I think Adams does OK. He phonebooths a lot (where you push them around and past the QB). This technique can only be used with a solid center pocket so the QB can just step up. Wen we had a weak center pocket, that was colapsing under Hartwig, it would just look like the tackles were getting beat because Ben couldn't step up so he would step back and get sacked by the guy that was being phoneboothed.

The RG seemed to be OK too.

Pouncey is excellent.

It is the Left side...both Guard and tackle that seemed to me to be the problem. But I'll look again.

I didn't realize we were only talking pass blocking. Kemo is definitely lacking in pass protection, as the case all year. J Scott is a replacement for Starks so it is only a 'problem' for one more game and not one which we can't handle. On the game vs Jets, the o-line played pretty well for the most part, except that collapse when Ben got sacked twice. I don't recall who was at fault in those sacks. One pressured pass which led to Ben throwing an INT was on J Scott (and to an extent Sanders but that's another topic). Foster's pass protection is above par although he did let a few slip against Balitmore. He's in his 2nd season and will get better. I'll backtrack and say we keep him :)

MikeHaullace
01-25-2011, 02:16 AM
I think he has just hit and played himself stupid.

I like him though.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 02:26 AM
I didn't realize we were only talking pass blocking. Kemo is definitely lacking in pass protection, as the case all year. J Scott is a replacement for Starks so it is only a 'problem' for one more game and not one which we can't handle. On the game vs Jets, the o-line played pretty well for the most part, except that collapse when Ben got sacked twice. I don't recall who was at fault in those sacks. One pressured pass which led to Ben throwing an INT was on J Scott (and to an extent Sanders but that's another topic). Foster's pass protection is above par although he did let a few slip against Balitmore. He's in his 2nd season and will get better. I'll backtrack and say we keep him :)

It's hard to evaluate run blocking other than whether we run well to that side. The Steelers like to run right a often pull Kemo. I have seen him on occassion looking for someone to block in the second level(lol).

So I am interested in pass and run blocking...

I've been pleased with what Adams has done for our Run blocking. So much so that I'm not sure I want Colon back. Maybe we just let Adams play another year while we search for his replacement.

wootawnee
01-25-2011, 03:04 AM
I was listening to the broadcast and I was hearing Simms (I believe) say how kemo was one of our best blockers.

People have been complaining about RG but to me, RG seems fine. That's not where I see the pressure coming from and we seem to be able to run on that side well.

I thought i would just get opinions as to whether you think Kemo needs to be replaced?

Get real dude....He's our main guy......Pulls all the time and destroys dudes......Just blows them out of their shoes.......And this year he is getting more vicious as the year goes by..........If your sending him might as well send Pouncey too..........

ZoneBlitzer
01-25-2011, 08:41 AM
If I had a choice I would re-sign Colon and move him to guard, and get rid of Kemo. He is a good run blocker, and can be really physical. But he has a 2 cent head, and his pass blocking is sub par.

2 cent head just about sums it up. He's a dirty frickin' lunatic that is going to paralyze someone some day.

biggtee
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
hes pretty solid and one of the only o-line men that suits up every game plus he has some nastyness in him some times it gets him in trouble but you gotta have that playing that position

zulater
01-25-2011, 10:45 AM

We need a new right guard, and left tackle. But I'm fine with Kemo, Colon, and of course Pouncey, who's a freaking stud! Kemo could be a little more consistent, and he's not the sharpest tool in the box, he'll make a few mental errors every season that will kill you. But all in all he's above average, a very good ( not to be confused with great) LG.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 11:17 AM
We need a new right guard, and left tackle. But I'm fine with Kemo, Colon, and of course Pouncey, who's a freaking stud! Kemo could be a little more consistent, and he's not the sharpest tool in the box, he'll make a few mental errors every season that will kill you. But all in all he's above average, a very good ( not to be confused with great) LG.

It is good to hear the fans opinions because people don't usually give him credit. In my head I've been thinking we need 4 new linemen. lol

I'm really not seeing all the problems at RG but I'll look more closely.

And truth be told, I never liked Colon and as soon as he went down everybody loves him and the Steelers lost their best lineman yada yada. To me Colon always looked confused. I watched lots of film with him being beat but I can't really say he was overpowered. It was more like outsmarted. It could have been confusion with Coach Z's scheme or it could have been playing next to a weak RG but e just looked confused and beat. I'm still not sure I want him back.

I should point out that Kendal Simmons is available...:sofunny:

Steelboy84
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
One of the best guards in the NFL

lionslicer
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
He's a very good pulling guard, above average run blocker, average pass blocker. He'll never be a pro bowler, but he's a solid starter. Steelers need a right guard right now. Colon can fill either tackle spot. Starks looks like that neck injury could possibly be the down fall of his playing career, but we'll get into that next season.

TRH
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm on the fence, but at this stage i have to say keep him only at the least because i'm tired of our OL being completely decimated and he's at least in there and is a solid blocker.
The thing that drives me most crazy about him is his inability to keep a level head and constantly get involved in "after-the-play-skirmishes". There's been a bunch of times this year when he's NOT been called for a penatly when he easily could have got one and put our team in further jeopardy.
By looking at the Jets game, it seems as if Tomlin or someone else may have laid down the law to him before the game. He was almost purposely well-behaved.....

El Nino
01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
i like kemo, extra points cause he's from kahuku (30 mins from where I live)

laughed my ass off everytime simms pronounced his named wrong

they should just call him KEMO-EAT-U, cause he eats defenders on pulling blocks ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_46r1n1AcXio/SJokNo9jywI/AAAAAAAABHM/6P0ysDVLClU/s320/KemoEATuTheRoadGrader.jpg

one thing i wish though is he would chill out sometimes, personal foul calls drive me nuts when they happen, cause they're stupid penalties that just give up free yards and 1st downs

kirklandrules
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM

I liked Colon, but would hesitate to say at this point he should be resigned. More than 30% of the players in the NFL who sustain a ruptured Achilles tendon never make it back on the field. And the players who do make it back fail to get back to the level of play they had prior to the injury.

Here's a link with this research ...
http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/2/35136/achilles-tendon-rupture-ends-many-nfl-careers.html

Kemo is an awesome run blocker and does o.k. in pass protection. I remember Faneca getting lit up on pass plays his last year here. No one is perfect. Kemo is the one guy who is quickest to come to the defense of his teammates when the defense plays dirty (hence his late shot in the Ravens game ... he knew what he was doing).

plenewken
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
I like Kemo as a player but he needs to be more disciplined. He has a tendency to commit stupid mistakes that could have cost us a game. He had too many false starts and personal fouls this season.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
It looks like the jury is out...19-5 that we have 2 solid linemen and only have to worry about 3..

Next time I watch NFL reply I will focus on Kemo.

That Mayock ranked Mike Pouncey 1st so there is no way he will fall to us. I was hoping to add him. Some were saying he should go second round. I think he will be a top 25 pick. I wonder if he made Mel Kipers big board.

SteelKnight
01-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Jets game on tonight at 9PMEST NFL Network. I may watch the 2 guard spots just to see how they do.

wootawnee
01-27-2011, 03:35 AM
i like kemo, extra points cause he's from kahuku (30 mins from where I live)

laughed my ass off everytime simms pronounced his named wrong

they should just call him KEMO-EAT-U, cause he eats defenders on pulling blocks ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_46r1n1AcXio/SJokNo9jywI/AAAAAAAABHM/6P0ysDVLClU/s320/KemoEATuTheRoadGrader.jpg

one thing i wish though is he would chill out sometimes, personal foul calls drive me nuts when they happen, cause they're stupid penalties that just give up free yards and 1st downs

Dude he came a long way.....I remember the night after they won the superbowl in 08, I had a dream I was landscaping or something and Kemo was working for me just to help, out of some kind of respect..........It was so virtual......

Any lineman can make stupid mistakes with Ben back there......That dude does not follow the normal guidelines as QB's go.......He could end up anywhere on that field.....With that point , i think we have a great line......Being all of them are new this season except Chris.....