PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu, Harrison named All-Pro

mesaSteeler
01-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Polamalu, Harrison named All-Pro
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_719674.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu and outside linebacker James Harrison were singled out for their stellar play Monday.

Each were Associated Press first-team All-Pro selections, giving Polamalu three in his career.

Polamalu tied for second in the NFL with seven interceptions this season. His sack-strip of Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco in a Dec. 5 game was arguably the most significant play for the Steelers this season. The eighth-year veteran was also a first-team All-Pro pick in 2005 and 2008.

Harrison led the Steelers with 10 1/2 sacks during the regular season, and he added three more in a 31-24 win over the Ravens in a divisional playoff game.

The four-time Pro Bowler also forced six fumbles and intercepted two passes.

Smith's return

The Steelers have at least given injured defensive end Aaron Smith a chance to return this season.

Smith hasn't played since partially tearing his triceps in an Oct. 24, but he has an extra week to get better before the Steelers play the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV.

Smith has practiced the past two weeks on a limited basis. The Steelers were hoping the 6-foot-5, 298-pounder would be able to do more in practice leading up to the AFC Championship Game.

Th Steelers listed Smith as doubtful prior to the game, and he did not dress against the New York Jets.

The Steelers kept the 12th-year veteran on the 53-man roster after he got hurt in the hopes that he would be able to return at some point this season.

"He wants to (play)," Steelers nose tackle Chris Hoke said of Smith. "He's got two weeks to get ready, and we're all hoping. He's a big part of this team and a big part of the defense, and I think it would be a real inspirational lift for all of us."

What's in a name?

There are football families. Then there is the Matthews family.

Clay Matthews III will lead the Green Bay Packers against the Steelers in Super Bowl on Feb. 6, and the outside linebacker is one of four members of his family to play in the NFL.

His father, Clay Jr., played linebacker in the NFL for almost 20 years and spent most of his career in Cleveland.

Matthews III said he still roots for the Browns.

But, he said, "I was a Steelers fan coming into the (2009) draft just because of the conversations that I had with (Mike) Tomlin and with the Pittsburgh Steelers coaching staff. But I guess they're our enemy now."

Extra points

The Steelers and Jets made a little bit of history Sunday. They had 54.8 million TV viewers for their game, according to the NFL and the Nielsen Company, making it the most-watched AFC Championship Game ever. ... The Steelers players are off today. They return to work Wednesday and practice through Friday. The Steelers will fly to Dallas on Monday morning.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Polamalu, Harrison named All-Pro - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_719674.html#ixzz1C33DLylt

Steelers>NFL
01-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Being selected All-Pro means alot more than going to the Pro-Bowl.
Great job guys!

MDSteel15
01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Truthfully, I think this is a slap in the face of our defense and how great it was this year! At least 2 more of our LBs deserve to be on there and I don't care which 2!!! No Big Snack or even Hood? Man, what a flipping shame.... But to the 2 men that were selected, well deserved. Congrats :thumbsup:

MDSteel15
01-25-2011, 10:13 AM
And what's this crap that Brady is the only QB 1st or 2nd team? :coffee:

MDSteel15
01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Oh and congrats to Maurkice Pouncey for getting voted as 2nd team All-Pro as a rook!!! :tt03:

steelax04
01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Having two players on the 11-man 1st team roster is a HUGE accomplishment and a true compliment to our defense, not a slap in the face. The real slap in the face is how Logan Mankins from NE only played 9 games and was named to the 1st team.

MDSteel15
01-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Then again, how many games did Troy play in??? :noidea: