PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Cardinals' search delayed by Pittsburgh Steelers' win

mesaSteeler
01-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Arizona Cardinals' search delayed by Pittsburgh Steelers' win
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/01/24/20110124arizona-cardinals-search-delayed-by-steelers-win.html
6 comments by Kent Somers - Jan. 24, 2011 08:36 PM
The Arizona Republic

Vibrations from the Steelers' victory Sunday in the AFC Championship Game could be felt in the Cardinals coaches offices in Tempe.

With the Steelers advancing to Super Bowl XLV, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt will have to wait at least two weeks before interviewing Pittsburgh assistants for the vacant defensive-coordinator job.

Whisenhunt cannot request permission until the Steelers' season is over.

It's a critical hire for Whisenhunt, who has fired two coordinators in four years in Arizona. He has close ties with three Steelers defensive assistants: coordinator Dick LeBeau, linebackers coach Keith Butler and secondary coach Ray Horton.

LeBeau's contract expires after this season, but it would be a surprise if he didn't return to the Steelers. At 72, LeBeau takes his coaching career on a year-to-year basis, and leaving Pittsburgh, where he has coached since 2004, would be a difficult decision.

Whisenhunt is close friends with Butler but might not be able to interview him. Butler signed a new contract a year ago after turning down an offer to become the Dolphins' defensive coordinator. Part of his new deal includes a promise that he will take over LeBeau's job when LeBeau retires.

The Steelers might not give permission for Whisenhunt to interview Butler. (Why the hell should we? - mesa)

Whisenhunt could decide to interview Horton, a Steelers assistant since 2004.

Whisenhunt is expecting to interview other candidates this week in Mobile, Ala., site of the Senior Bowl. He has declined to reveal their names.

It is possible Whisenhunt could hire a coordinator before the Super Bowl, but that seems doubtful at this point. He admires LeBeau and has wanted to use a similar defensive system in Arizona.

It's been nearly three weeks since Whisenhunt fired coordinator Bill Davis, so replacing Davis quickly was not a priority.

After firing his two previous coordinators, Whisenhunt knows he has to find the right person for the job this time. Four other teams - the Titans, Raiders, Broncos and Eagles - are searching for defensive coordinators.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/01/24/20110124arizona-cardinals-search-delayed-by-steelers-win.html#ixzz1C3Azyzv3

(Dear Whizy, You desperately need an OC. You've been calling your own plays and your team sucks! Please hire Bruce the Airhead at once! I'm sure you will be able to get him with no problem and Turdnial land will a fitting place for him.

Sincerely Yours, A Steeler Fan in Mesa.

This way I can have the pleasure of getting a good belly laugh every week while watching the antics of the pathetic Turdnails as they compete for a berth in the toilet bowl. - mesa)

SH-Rock
01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
I would pay him to take Arians.

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Whisenhunt really needs to get over his fixation on hiring Pittsburgh alums - my recollection is Horton was close to getting fired after the 2008 season

This is Bouchette's take on the LeBeau to Arizona rumors

It would stun me to see LeBeau, at age 74, want to rebuild a putrid defense in Arizona, where they may never win again. He actually loves it here and working with his players on the Steelers defense. I never discount anything and while money speaks, Arizona does not like to throw it around.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/107694-ed-jets-drank-their-champagne

tunes4life
01-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Man, I'm so glad Whiz wasn't made head coach here. It seems like the guy just has no original ideas. He sees the success we have and just wants to get as many people as he can. Before practice every day he prolly checked with his contacts and Pitt to see what we were going to be doing. WTF! Time to make your own team and have your own ideas Whiz. :headshake:

pete74
01-25-2011, 08:54 AM
i almost gurentee that Horton will be Arizona's defensive coach in 2011

CargoJon
01-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Perhaps Whizz should petition the Cardinals to put up a new stadium that looks exactly like Heinz Field, too?

Maybe change their uni colors to Black and Gold?

Petition the league to get re-assigned to the AFC North?

Come on Ken, it's getting obvious and a little ridiculous.

plenewken
01-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Whiz is not a Head Coach, he's a Head Poach!
When will this guy stop shopping in Pittsburgh for personnel? He clearly has an obsession with the Steelers and he can try all he wants, he'll never build anything remotely close to the Steelers in centuries.

Take Arians and then leave us alone!

LambertLunatic
01-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Everyone is complaining about Whiz trying to make his team the Steelers West, but can you blame him? They do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.

SeinfeldNut
01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Good luck to Whizz trying to find a quick fix for that defense and what will he do at the QB position? He had faith in Anderson, which failed and Hall is nothing more than a backup at best.

madtowndrunkard
01-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Man, I'm so glad Whiz wasn't made head coach here. It seems like the guy just has no original ideas. He sees the success we have and just wants to get as many people as he can. Before practice every day he prolly checked with his contacts and Pitt to see what we were going to be doing. WTF! Time to make your own team and have your own ideas Whiz. :headshake:

Nothing against our own staff, but what has Tomlin done that is so original? Tomlin took over a staff already in tact. The only thing that has really changed is the style of playcalling between Whiz and Arians. Make Arians the HC of a losing FA like Arizona and how well do you think he does?

I'm impressed with what Whiz has done in Arizona. Like any good coach he's going to go after people he respects. While it does piss me off, I cant really blame the guy.

madtowndrunkard
01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I think this has something to do with our FO not giving contract extensions to the coaching staff. You would have no choice but to interview for other jobs.

I really hope Butler does not go. He should have been a D-coordinator a long time ago. I think he plays a huge part into the success of our defense, not to mention he was going to be Dick Lebeau's replacement. But if DL is showing no signs of retiring, maybe Butler is done waiting? The $ would have to be significantly better in AZ. Anyone know if Butler has young kids? Staying in Pittsburgh for his family may be the real reason hes stayed here. But if his kids are out of the house, then maybe Butler is open to moving?

Whiz is friends with Bulter. So Butler must have given Whiz some sort of indication that he'd be open to interviewing for the job. Otherwise why would Whiz wait? I could also see some un happy coaches in our locker room if the Rooney's have actually let their contracts expire this year so he doesn't have to pay them in the event of a lock out or strike. I know that would really upset me if I had given them my loyalty and great success only to be told, "sorry no contract.... I don't want to get stuck paying you" That would be a slap in the face IMO. Which would explain why Butler and Horton might be looking elsewhere.