PDA

View Full Version : What Fans are actually rooting for the Steelers

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Haven't started a thread here in a while...but figured I'd give this a go and see if you guys and gals wanted to Discuss...

What other teams Fans are actually Rooting for Us?
AFC
Jets? No way, they are Packers all the way for sure.
Dolphins? Possible...maybe more indifferent or showing some AFC Support.
Bills? They probably don't love us, but really, do they hate us? Could be Bills
Patriots? ovbiously...they hate our guts. They are Packers all the way.
Browns? Really? Could they even stomach rooting for us? No way. Packers
Bengals? You know...they may, I find most Bengals fans have less hate for us and actually want to be us. They may pull for the Steelers.
Ravens? Deep down, they'd throw up in their mouths if we won. No way.
Chargers? Do they even care?
Raiders? Lots of Steelers hate from the Raiders, but they are pretty good supporters of the AFC when it counts. Mutual Respect could get us some Raiders Nation Love.
Cheifs? AFC Love our way? Maybe. Not sure they'd root for the team that beat them in Super Bowl I
Broncos? They did beat the Packers once in the SB, and I did actually root for Elway to win that one. But then again, they may still be bitter over that Title Game home loss a couple years ago. Interesting...I wonder which way they lean.
Colts? Nope, they hate us. Pretty sure its hate.
Jaguars? Their 3 fans may pull for us, some of that old AFC Central Love.
Titans? Nope...they hate us. Its real hate. Stomping on Towels.
Texans? Whatever makes Jerry and Cowboys fans the sickest they will pull for in my opinion, I say Texans fans lean Steelers.

NFC
Giants? I could see Giants fans pulling for the Steelers just to stick it to their Jets fans counterparts.
Redskins? Probably not, not that they hate us, but I see some NFC Support from them.
Eagles? I really doubt the people of Philly want Pittsburgh to win another Title. They are for the Packers
Cowboys....HA! We know they don't want us to win.
Cardinals? Nope, they hate us now that we ripped their hearts out 2 years ago.
Rams? Don't know...not sure they love the Packers...but then again...1980 Super Bowl...
49ers? Doubt it, that would put us 2 up. They want the Packers I guess.
Seahawks? They loathe us, with real downright hate. Packers for sure.
Vikings? They hate the Packers...so they may just pull for us. Not sure, that could go either way.
Bears? Could they really root for the Packers? Kind of like us pulling for the Ravens. I think we get some Chicago Love.
Lions? Lets see...I bet they lean Steelers. Just cause we are what they wish they were and they are tired of the Packers twice a year.
Saints? Who Dat they Gonna Root for? I find a lot of Saints fans actually do pull for the Steelers in the AFC. I think we get some Who Dat love.
Buccaneers? Not sure, they don't love the Packers, used to be in the same division as them and that did cause some hate back in the day. Not sure here.
Panthers? Think they go Packers...NFC Love and hating on the AFC for no other reason than that. But not sure. Hard to tell, they do like Bill Cowher alot in North Carolina.
Falcons? I bet we get some Dirty South Love from Atlanta just because of the way the Packers embarressed them at home. Might get some of that "if the Packers win at least we lost to the champs" stuff...but I bet the fans are still bitter over that home loss.

So what do you think? Any ideas or thoughts on what other teams fans are saying or feeling?

GMU Steeler
01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
I'd think all NFC North fans teams not named Packers obviously and add the Falcons as well. Not sure how sentimental Bucs fans are but Tomlin did get his start there and his defensive backs that he coached played a huge role in TB's Super Bowl win over the Raiders some years back. And Raheem Morris is in a way Tomlin's protege since Morris's first job was as asst DB coaches with Mike as the DB coach. I think it depends on the indivdual really. I mean we all have a lot of the same teams that we hate but others that we hate less or more so than others due to experiences and geography.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Good point, I forgot about the Tomlin and Buc ties and how that could play into real fans for the Bucs supporting him for his days down there as their assistant. Kind of like how we pull for Whiz to do well when he's not playing us.

lionslicer
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Dolphins wont root for the Steelers, not after what happened this season with the fumble.

I know a couple Rams fans going for the Packers.
But NFC fans seem to not care for the Steelers, but AFC team fans purely hate the Steelers.
Derrick Brooks said he's rooting for the Steelers because of Tomlin

chacha
01-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Most other team's fans probably wont root for us, but so what? I dont care.
:tt04:

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 01:34 PM

just making coversation...I don't think its quite "Us against the World" But its going to be heavily in favor of the Packers.

The Patriots vs Giants was total hate for the Patriots...pretty sure even Cowboys fans secretly wanted the Giants in that one.

Third Rail
01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't know if Pittsburgh gets any Lions love or not since the Steelers were a key part of the "The Curse," though through no fault of their own. The Lions gave the boot to Bobby Layne and he was traded to Pittsburgh. Supposedly that's when The Curse started as he promised that the Lions wouldn't win for 50 years. And strangely, towards the end of that 50-year period, the only Super Bowl to ever be played in Detroit was won by the Steelers.

I don't typically believe in curses but it is interesting that the last year of the curse coincided with the Lions' historic 0-16 season (a year Pittsburgh also won another Super Bowl, I might add). And though it's been two years since then, the Lions have gradually begun rebuilding and might truly be competitive next year (if Stafford can play a full season without getting hurt), if experts' predictions hold true.

TRH
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM

and nationwide, we still have as many fans probably, as they all do put together lol

UF-Steeler
01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
As I grew up in Tampa Bay, I find that many of the Bucs fans aren't big supporters of the Steelers. Who knows how they feel about this Super Bowl, but majority of the people in Tampa that aren't Steelers fans will most likely not root for us.

StainlessStill
01-25-2011, 02:25 PM
What to understand, is that if you are NOT hated in the world of pro-sports, then we are doing something wrong. We are Steelers Nation, we aren't Bengals, Cowboys, Jets, Bears, Lions or ****ing Shithole (Cleveland) nation. STEELERS NATION! Who gives a flying **** what these douches think. Keep watching us in Super Bowls.

LVSteelersfan
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Who cares. The Steelers have more fans than probably half of those other franchises put together. I actually root for the Steelers because they are one of the hated teams because they are so good.

4xSBChamps
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
As I grew up in Tampa Bay, I find that many of the Bucs fans aren't big supporters of the Steelers. Who knows how they feel about this Super Bowl, but majority of the people in Tampa that aren't Steelers fans will most likely not root for us.

I've lived an hour outside of Tampa for 4+ years, and from what I have heard & seen, many Buccaneer fans don't like Packer fans, maybe because they were division rivals for 20+ seasons:
I know that when Morris was named coach in '09, he immediately said he would try to model the team after Pittsburgh's physical, violent (his-words) nature, so some locals may root for the Steelers

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I LOVE being Hated and LOVE Being the Bad Guys...I eat that up.

Just curious as to other teams and how their fans may look at this super bowl. I'm sure there are tons of Ben haters (allegations) and tons of Harrison haters (hits too hard, dirty) but Troy? Do people actually hate Troy? Although, he does get accused of dirty hits. As does Clark.

So it just interests me to hear about other fan bases. and try to figure out some we may not know. I like the Bucs, being Tomlin is from there and they were rivals with the Packers (Battle of the Bays) for years.

pete74
01-25-2011, 03:13 PM
nobody wants to see the steelers get a 7th ring. its mostly jealousy but nobody wants to see us win

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
nobody wants to see the steelers get a 7th ring. its mostly jealousy but nobody wants to see us win

true, but does a Bears or Vikings fan really want the Packers to win? Think about all the Bears fans that had to hear crap from Packers fans after the Bears lost to the Colts. Could be kind of sweet for a Bears fan to see the Packers lose.

Cowboy
01-27-2011, 04:57 PM
First post, having lurked for a while, but thought I'd toss this in.

I am a Cowboy fan.

("What the hell are you doing here?" You may ask.)

However having grown up with a best friend who is a Steeler fan I have nothing but absolute respect for Steeler fans, and their entire organization.

Having chatted with most my Dallas-fan friends they don't seem to be all that against the Steelers taking down the Pack. It was a nightmare scenario for most of them, and I'd think for Jerry Jones as well. (xD)

Not so much for me however.

Like I said though, growing up with a friend who was a Steeler fan, we'd root for each others teams and when they had some epic clashes in the Super Bowl it was all in good fun and with that type of attitude makes it easier to root for them to win.

(I won't lie when I say Superbowl XXX felt good after losing twice in the 70s. :P)

Also having known some Packers fans that left a bitter taste in my mouth for the Pack only adds more of a reason for myself. I am likely a small minority of those who do, but the above is my personal reasoning.

Should be one heck of a show. :drink:

Dino 6 Rings
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM

I am a Cowboy fan.

However having grown up with a best friend who is a Steeler fan I have nothing but absolute respect for Steeler fans, and their entire organization.

Having chatted with most my Dallas-fan friends they don't seem to be all that against the Steelers taking down the Pack. It was a nightmare scenario for most of them, and I'd think for Jerry Jones as well. (xD)

Like I said though, growing up with a friend who was a Steeler fan, we'd root for each others teams and when they had some epic clashes in the Super Bowl it was all in good fun and with that type of attitude makes it easier to root for them to win.

(I won't lie when I say Superbowl XXX felt good after losing twice in the 70s. :P)

Also having known some Packers fans that left a bitter taste in my mouth for the Pack only adds more of a reason for myself. I am likely a small minority of those who do, but the above is my personal reasoning.

Hey, thanks for the info...welcome to the Board!

TRH
01-27-2011, 08:08 PM

I am a Cowboy fan.

thanks for the kind words. We know there's some of ya down there that, while the Cowboys are your favorite team, still respect and like our team too

finesward
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
The teams we beat, especially in close games, will root for us to make that loss look better. The teams who beat us will root for us to say they beat the super bowl champs that year.

SteelKnight
01-28-2011, 12:44 AM
I think most (probably all except Bear fans) will be rooting against us. Even thought the Packers are favored, they will be considered underdogs and people will want to put an end to this SB trophy collecting that Pitt ascribes to.

toughsticks87
01-28-2011, 01:20 AM
I live in Boston, and it feels like the 2004 presidential election. No one was actually voting for Kerry, they were voting against Bush. Everyone, everyday looks at me with my Steelers shirt/hat/whatever and just say "Aaron Rodgers will destroy them..."

Ugh.

BGSU A Dub
01-28-2011, 03:51 AM
I think in the Super Bowl it's less about who the person is a fan for rather how they feel in their gut for a team. Talked to a Bengals fan today and he said he wanted the Steelers to win because it makes the division/conference look good, but was okay if the Packers won due to the whole Rodgers taking over for Favre thing. So depending on where a person's loyalties lie, they may take "the lesser of two evils" because one player can taint a fans view (e.g. Hating Rodgers from college).