PDA

View Full Version : This Packer a Pittsburgh kind of guy

mesaSteeler
01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
This Packer a Pittsburgh kind of guy
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/27193-this-packer-is-a-pittsburgh-kind-of-guy
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 05:30 PM
Written by Bob Smizik

Even if he plays for Green Bay, John Kuhn is a Pittsburgh kind of guy. He’d fit in nicely on the Steelers -- that is, if they utilized a full-time fullback. He’s another Dan Kreider -- a central Pennsylvania guy who doesn’t mind doing the dirty work.

Kuhn has a Super Bowl ring. Now he’s looking forward to actually playing in the game and against some of his old pals.

By Gary D’Amato. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Green Bay — The Pittsburgh Steelers released John Kuhn at the end of training camp in 2005, but re-signed the rookie running back to their practice squad with five games left in the regular season.

Call it a fortuitous bit of timing.

Though Kuhn didn't have a whole lot to do with it, the Steelers went on to win Super Bowl XL, beating the Seattle Seahawks, 21-10, in Detroit.

Kuhn got a Super Bowl ring out of the deal. He earned it and he's proud of it, but it's not like he wears it when he picks up the dry cleaning.

"It's at home here," he said Monday. "I keep it in the safe. I don't look at it all that much. I was on the practice squad."

There's nothing wrong with that. Still, any player would tell you he'd much rather win a ring by contributing on the field than by taking up space on the sideline.

"I've always told myself I wanted to get on an active roster and win one on the field," Kuhn said.

He'll have that chance Feb. 6, when the Packers play his old team, the Steelers, in Super Bowl XLV at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

"I'm excited. I'm really excited," said Kuhn, normally one of the least excitable guys in the Packers' locker room. "I was secretly hoping (Pittsburgh would win the AFC title) because I still have a bunch of friends over there. It's just a special feeling."