PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Packer Fact

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 08:25 PM
The Packers lost twice by field goals in overtime, twice by field goals in the last 10 seconds of the fourth quarter, and twice by four points, with both of those four-point losses coming on the road with quarterback Aaron Rodgers injured. No team in NFL history had ever before had a six-loss season with all six losses by four points or fewer, according to Stats Inc.

In fact, until this season's Packers, no team had even had a five-loss season with all the losses by four points or fewer. The only team that ever had four losses all by four or fewer was the 1987 Washington Redskins, who went on to win the Super Bowl.

I only post this because a lot of people seem to think this is the same Packer team you guys faced last year, and its not. With 15 guys on IR and the constant shuffling of players into new spots, this really is pretty amazing considering what we went through this year. I also read that we have never trailed by more than 7 all year (didnt verify personally).
Anyways I am sure you guys arent all that impressed, but I figure I would post this anyways and maybe give you a different perspective on the Packers,:drinkup:

OX1947
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
The Packers lost twice by field goals in overtime, twice by field goals in the last 10 seconds of the fourth quarter, and twice by four points, with both of those four-point losses coming on the road with quarterback Aaron Rodgers injured. No team in NFL history had ever before had a six-loss season with all six losses by four points or fewer, according to Stats Inc.

In fact, until this season's Packers, no team had even had a five-loss season with all the losses by four points or fewer. The only team that ever had four losses all by four or fewer was the 1987 Washington Redskins, who went on to win the Super Bowl.

I only post this because a lot of people seem to think this is the same Packer team you guys faced last year, and its not. With 15 guys on IR and the constant shuffling of players into new spots, this really is pretty amazing considering what we went through this year. I also read that we have never trailed by more than 7 all year (didnt verify personally).
Anyways I am sure you guys arent all that impressed, but I figure I would post this anyways and maybe give you a different perspective on the Packers,:drinkup:

Ive said this a few times the last few weeks. What happen in week 15, week 13, last year, SB 31, SB 1, SB 9 has ZERO barring on Super Bowl 45.

The Steelers waxed the Jets to the tune of 24-0 before they took their foot off the pedal. Who saw that coming? No one. Steelers spotted the Ratbirds 14 points, and beat them a week before that. And Ratbird games are always close from quarter 1 to 4, last min games.

However, looking at the Packers run the last two games especially, they waxed one of the worst secondaries in the league in Atlanta and beat the most overrated team in the NFL in the Bears. The Steelers beat a 12-4 wild card team for the 2nd time and beat a Jets team that beat the Pats and Indy in their house.

If I were you, I would worry about stopping the Steelers run game. Because Matt Forte was running all over you guys. And if Urlacher isn't running a 5.0 40 on that INT, that game would have changed quick. And you also let a 3rd stringer go up and down the field pretty well until dumb play calling stalled that last drive. Steelers do not make bone head decisions in clutch moments. So be careful.

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 08:36 PM

First of all, I will give you another Interesting FACT! In the HISTORY of the NFL, No team has EVER won a Super Bowl where they had a LOSING road record...none! And if you think that teams getting to the Big game would normally have a winning record on the road, you would be wrong. There has been 4 of them, and ALL 4 lost.
Remind me again,,,what was Green Bay's road record ? :hatsoff:

Oh, and as for the Injury card,,,PLEASE don't go there with us. We have lost way more significant players to Injury, or from trades and free agency then the Packers have. And as for your QB being out 2 games, both road losses...CRY me a river dude. We had 4 games without ours, and we went 3-1, and should have been 4-0

And as for your Detroit loss. Hell your Mr. ALL-WORLD QB was sucking it up even BEFORE he got Injured. He was 7-11 yes, but for 46 yards :toofunny: A crummy 4.18 YPA and 1 Interception...PLEASE DUDE! Not to mention the losses to teams like Miami, these same pathetic Bears, Washington, and the first Detroit game that your team SHOULD have lost...all WITH Mr.Rodgers. So please son, don't come here with your weak A$$ Sh it cause THIS Forum has REAL FANS in it who will blow the doors off your little Cheese Head stats! :wave: So long now little Boy. It's past your bed time!

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2011, 08:45 PM

I suppose the argument is the Packers do not know how to close out tight games with all those losses :chuckle:

Other teams have played close games

The ’09 Steelers were the first team since the ’98 Super Bowl champion Broncos not to trail by more than 7 points at any time during the first 12 games of a season

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/pittsburgh-steelers-2010-season-preview/

Steelers record at that point was 6-6 - NFL counted all 6 losses the same as if those losses were blowouts and the Steelers missed the playoffs

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Im not one for arguing with people who refer to you as "Son" on a message board when I am sure I am older than you, but whatever. I could go on for days about facts and stats and try having a reasonable conversation about football with you, but I see your a liberal and we all know theres no point in trying to talk sense into them.:blah::blah:

If you want to talk football and keep it to a respectful level, I am there all day with you. If you want immature banter about my weenis is bigger than your weenis, you got the wrong guy.

I will say this to anyone who wants some football opinion from me. I am not making excuses for the Detroit loss, that was sickening, but their DL is absolutely beastly. Suh is the best DT I may have ever seen. That is probably the only team I worry about :blah:aking a huge leap into the upper echelon of the NFC in the next few years. Say what you want about that being a pathetic loss, and it was....But Detroit isnt the pushover they once were, not to mention division games even against the shittiest opponents can go either way sometimes.

Stairway2-7
01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I only post this because a lot of people seem to think this is the same Packer team you guys faced last year, and its not.

You guys aren't facing the same Steelers team either:thumbsup:

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 09:11 PM
You guys aren't facing the same Steelers team either:thumbsup:

Not to sound to ignorant, but do you think you dramatically improved and if so where and why? I see Pouncey as a huge improvement, but not sure about anything outside of that.

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Not to sound to ignorant, but do you think you dramatically improved and if so where and why? I see Pouncey as a huge improvement, but not sure about anything outside of that.

Polamalu did not play after mid-November in 2009 and missed the Green Bay game

Some might say his absence was significant:noidea:

43Hitman
01-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Im not one for arguing with people who refer to you as "Son" on a message board when I am sure I am older than you, but whatever. I could go on for days about facts and stats and try having a reasonable conversation about football with you, but I see your a liberal and we all know theres no point in trying to talk sense into them.:blah::blah:

If you want to talk football and keep it to a respectful level, I am there all day with you. If you want immature banter about my weenis is bigger than your weenis, you got the wrong guy.

I will say this to anyone who wants some football opinion from me. I am not making excuses for the Detroit loss, that was sickening, but their DL is absolutely beastly. Suh is the best DT I may have ever seen. That is probably the only team I worry about :blah:aking a huge leap into the upper echelon of the NFC in the next few years. Say what you want about that being a pathetic loss, and it was....But Detroit isnt the pushover they once were, not to mention division games even against the shittiest opponents can go either way sometimes.

I can relate with that. Hell last year we got punked by the Browns and Bengals, so we know all about division games against perennial bottom feeder teams. Don't worry about some of the fans, they're prolly still a little edgy from dealing with the crying Jets fans.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM

The defense is unbelievably better, with Polamalu and McFadden back and Ziggy Hood much improved. The Packers will NOT be putting up 36 points this time around. The Steelers defense has only allowed more than 22 points once all season, and that was against the Patriots. The defense last year was ranked number 12 in points allowed. This year, they're number 1. The Packer offense went from number 3 in scoring offense to number 10 this year. The Steelers scoring offense last year was ranked 12 and it's in the same exact spot this year (and that's including the games Ben didn't start!). The Pack defense was 7 last year in points allowed and are 2 this year. A slight improvement. So basically, from my point of view, the Steelers could put up 37 again, but there's no way it's in a shoot-out.

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 09:51 PM
The defense is unbelievably better, with Polamalu and McFadden back and Ziggy Hood much improved. The Packers will NOT be putting up 36 points this time around. The defense has only allowed more than 22 points once all season, and that was against the Patriots. The defense last year was ranked number 12 in points allowed. This year, they're number 1. The scoring offense last year was ranked 12 and it's in the same exact spot this year. The Pack defense was 7 last year in points allowed and are 2 this year. A slight improvement. So basically, from my point of view, the Steelers could put up 37 again, but there's no way it's in a shoot-out.

Without looking at the games, I believe Patriots are the only ones who put 30+ on us as well lol.....I thought McFadden was playing terrible? Or was that just a few fans bitching about a big play? I honestly dont know. How is it that you guys go from 12 to 1 in PA, and we go from 7-2 and right behind you but you guys can possibly put up 37 but we cant? Not trying to call you out, but that sounds like a homeristic statement. I honestly think if its a shootout we cream you guys, if you guys run the ball and own TOP, you guys will beat us. Now when I say cream you guys, I hope you dont take offense to that....our offense is VERY similar to the Pats.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Without looking at the games, I believe Patriots are the only ones who put 30+ on us as well lol.....I thought McFadden was playing terrible? Or was that just a few fans bitching about a big play? I honestly dont know. How is it that you guys go from 12 to 1 in PA, and we go from 7-2 and right behind you but you guys can possibly put up 37 but we cant? Not trying to call you out, but that sounds like a homeristic statement. I honestly think if its a shootout we cream you guys, if you guys run the ball and own TOP, you guys will beat us. Now when I say cream you guys, I hope you dont take offense to that....our offense is VERY similar to the Pats.

You missed my edit:

The Packer offense went from number 3 in scoring offense to number 10 this year. The Steelers scoring offense last year was ranked 12 and it's in the same exact spot this year (and that's including the games Ben didn't start!).

So basically not only did the Steelers defense improve drastically, their offense improved as well. Meanwhile, the Packers O got worse and defense got only slightly better.

Also, McFadden has done a pretty good job in my estimation. He's very much better than Willie Gay was last year.

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 10:19 PM
You missed my edit:

The Packer offense went from number 3 in scoring offense to number 10 this year. The Steelers scoring offense last year was ranked 12 and it's in the same exact spot this year (and that's including the games Ben didn't start!).

So basically not only did the Steelers defense improve drastically, their offense improved as well. Meanwhile, the Packers O got worse and defense got only slightly better.

Also, McFadden has done a pretty good job in my estimation. He's very much better than Willie Gay was last year.

Edit taken.

I think the teams in general are both insanely even. GB has the better passing game, PIT has the better running game. The Packers were 10th in offensive scoring with 24 PPG and the Steelers were 12th with 23.4. Aaron Rodgers had the 3rd best QB rating in the NFL with 101.2, and Big Ben had the 5th best with 97.0.

PIT has the better rush defense, GB has the better pass defense, and in general both defenses are the best two in the league. The Steelers were #1 in scoring defense with 14.5 PPG and the Packers were second with 15 PPG. I know the Steelers are the team that is usually known as the stout defense, and Green Bay the high flying aerial attack, but this Super Bowl isn't Bears vs. Colts of 2006, this are two complete teams, offense and defense.

Neither has especially good special teams, but I'd still give the edge to the Steelers. The Steelers have the edge in experience (I put close to zero stock in this, but others don't so here it is). Their pass rushes are virtually even, the Steelers had 48 regular season sacks and the Packers had 47. And if we use the sack rate data provided by blazedestin (see the thread here the Packers actually had a better pass rush, with the 3rd best in the league, sack rate of 11.2 and the Steelers 6th with 12.3 sack rate. The Steelers were 2nd in the takeaway differential with +17, and the Packers were 4th with +10. Basically what I'm saying, is these teams are really even......

Taken from another forum.

VegasStlrFan
01-25-2011, 10:25 PM

You can save the stats for validation, GB is by far the toughest team we have faced this year. IMO

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
You can save the stats for validation, GB is by far the toughest team we have faced this year. IMO

A team that went 3-5 on the road ? And who lost to Miami, Washington, and Detroit, who Bi tched slapped them arounf not once, but TWICE. ? That is the toughest team we have played all season ? :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl:

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM

IMO This is basically a mirror game. Two teams offensive strengths are the other teams defensive weakness, you guys running vs us and us passing vs you. Should be a classic, hope it lives up to our expectations.

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
A team that went 3-5 on the road ? And who lost to Miami, Washington, and Detroit, who Bi tched slapped them arounf not once, but TWICE. ? That is the toughest team we have played all season ? :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl:

Is that including the 3-0 in the playoffs on the road, you know when it counts?

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Is that including the 3-0 in the playoffs on the road, you know when it counts?

Against a Philly team that totally outplayed you, and who missed two easy FG's, for which is why you won. Against a Falcon team that every single person said was an overrated bunch, and who gave up after that stupid mistake right before the half. And against a Bears team with a 3rd string QB...A QB who out played Mr.Rodgers, and who almost beat you. :toofunny:

Yeah Congrats...really Impressive :rofl:

VegasStlrFan
01-25-2011, 10:48 PM

So name that team

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 10:50 PM
So name that team

Baltimore is tougher. The Jets were tougher, and riding on a confidence high more then Green Bay. And yes, the Pats are tougher.

How's that ?

El Nino
01-25-2011, 10:51 PM
this has nothing to do with the steelers, post crap like this in the NFL forum please

43Hitman
01-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Just stop dude, we struggled early in the season on our 3 road game wins in the playoffs to win it all on 05'. They've earned their spot and deserve our respect. Quit being a jerk.

tony hipchest
01-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Edit taken.

I think the teams in general are both insanely even. GB has the better passing game, PIT has the better running game. The Packers were 10th in offensive scoring with 24 PPG and the Steelers were 12th with 23.4. Aaron Rodgers had the 3rd best QB rating in the NFL with 101.2, and Big Ben had the 5th best with 97.0.

PIT has the better rush defense, GB has the better pass defense, and in general both defenses are the best two in the league. The Steelers were #1 in scoring defense with 14.5 PPG and the Packers were second with 15 PPG. I know the Steelers are the team that is usually known as the stout defense, and Green Bay the high flying aerial attack, but this Super Bowl isn't Bears vs. Colts of 2006, this are two complete teams, offense and defense.

Neither has especially good special teams, but I'd still give the edge to the Steelers. The Steelers have the edge in experience (I put close to zero stock in this, but others don't so here it is). Their pass rushes are virtually even, the Steelers had 48 regular season sacks and the Packers had 47. And if we use the sack rate data provided by blazedestin (see the thread here the Packers actually had a better pass rush, with the 3rd best in the league, sack rate of 11.2 and the Steelers 6th with 12.3 sack rate. The Steelers were 2nd in the takeaway differential with +17, and the Packers were 4th with +10. Basically what I'm saying, is these teams are really even......

Taken from another forum.this is all relevant information. the teams are about as evenly matched as any matchup i can remember.

hell, the defense is our old coordinator from the 90's with a staff comprised of ex steeler players. ive always expected the dom capers defense to be good and almost mirror image ours.

with all stats being equal, i gotta look to the intangibles.

-steelers will have a homefield advantage in dallas.

-the steelers experience is invaluable. of course experience didnt help the colts last year but they were far from being balanced. packers or minnesota woulda probably beaten them as well.

-almost all steelers defenders have grown up in the same lebeau scheme. packers are still in the swecond year of their system and could be more prone to mistakes in pressure situations.

i think this game will be much more back and forth (like last years meeting) than the 2 games we saw last weekend, where both our teams jumped out to big leads.

43Hitman
01-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Baltimore is tougher. The Jets were tougher, and riding on a confidence high more then Green Bay. And yes, the Pats are tougher.

How's that ?

And in neither of the those games did we play a complete game. And got our asses handed to us buy the Pats. Just keep it in perspective man, we could come out flat like we did in the 1st half against the Ravens and the 2nd half against the Jets.

43Hitman
01-25-2011, 11:06 PM
this is all relevant information. the teams are about as evenly matched as any matchup i can remember.

hell, the defense is our old coordinator from the 90's with a staff comprised of ex steeler players. ive always expected the dom capers defense to be good and almost mirror image ours.

-the steelers experience is invaluable. of course experience didnt help the colts last year but they were far from being balanced. packers or minnesota woulda probably beaten them as well.

-almost all steelers defenders have grown up in the same lebeau scheme. packers are still in the swecond year of their system and could be more prone to mistakes in pressure situations.

i think this game will be much more back and forth (like last years meeting) than the 2 games we saw last weekend, where both our teams jumped out to big leads.

I think the bolded part is the biggest factor in this game. We saw it last year and we saw again in the Bears game, sometimes those guys were playing zone when they were supposed to be playing man, and vice versa.

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
this is all relevant information. the teams are about as evenly matched as any matchup i can remember.

Its strange for us Packer fans to have a good defense, still getting used to it

I dont get this, I heard this multiple times now....We are the home team and are playing in a NFC city and Stadium...I dont get the advantage here...

-the steelers experience is invaluable. of course experience didnt help the colts last year but they were far from being balanced. packers or minnesota woulda probably beaten them as well.I think this gets over stated sometimes, dont get me wrong you guys have a clear advantage in experience here, but in terms of hungriness...Wouldnt you think a team that hasnt been there "Want it" more? Im sure you guys will be more prepared for media and such and not as starstruck as we probably will be, but again this could go either way.

Not sure what mistakes we have made in pressure situations THIS year, Im sure there have been some but overall I would say our defense has actually stepped up in pressure situations. Sealing wins in both Philly and Chicago on picks for example.

i think this game will be much more back and forth (like last years meeting) than the 2 games we saw last weekend, where both our teams jumped out to big leads.I see it a back and forth game, dont think the packers have trailed by more than 7 all season and so I dont see any huge leads either way...But thats why they play the game...It is fun to discuss though...I just hope its a game not called by the refs and its a old school hard hitting clean game. I wouldnt expect anything less out of these two franchises.

3 chars

VegasStlrFan
01-25-2011, 11:31 PM

How's that ?

Not when you look at the match ups. Ravens & Jets play smashmouth just like the Steelers, we match up well against teams like that (fist fight in a phone booth). Its not that they aren't tough teams, they play into our strength.

NE plays different, they want no part of the slugfest, they want a track meet. Brady attacks our D schemes with a quick accurate short passing game (our weakness). Ben typically has great stats against them but we end up with a few FG when the get TD's. The Packers can execute the same gameplan, Rogers is as accurate and has better recievers than Brady. The kicker is the Packers D is much better than the Pats, that makes them a tougher opponent.

Kanata-Steeler
01-25-2011, 11:31 PM
An Interesting simple Steeler Fact:

We have the psychologocal SuperBowl "experienced" edge in ALL departments. aka "Are you uhh experienced ..? " - Jimi :)

That can potentially hurt any team as fast as penalties can, aka SuperBowl XXX '96, Cowboys' little SuperBowl Dynasty versus Steelers. We lost, even though I thought we were the better team if only we had a little more time. -god that was painful :(

And, of course the Gamblers' have the Pack as the "Fav's" -duh!, 'cause that's where they want you to put your money.

sarahpalinhater
01-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Not when you look at the match ups. Ravens & Jets play smashmouth just like the Steelers, we match up well against teams like that (fist fight in a phone booth). Its not that they aren't tough teams, they play into our strength.

NE plays different, they want no part of the slugfest, they want a track meet. Brady attacks our D schemes with a quick accurate short passing game (our weakness). Ben typically has great stats against them but we end up with a few FG when the get TD's. The Packers can execute the same gameplan, Rogers is as accurate and has better recievers than Brady. The kicker is the Packers D is much better than the Pats, that makes them a tougher opponent.

I've heard this same ridiculous argument when we played the Arizona offense 2 years ago. And TAHT Offense HAD a 2-time SB QB in Warner who had 4500 + Yd passing. And had 3 RB's who ran for over 1200 Yds, but scored 14 rushing TD's. And they had not 1, not 2 but 3 WR's all who had over 1000 Yds. One in Fitzgerald who had 1400 + Yds and 12 TD's. And Boldin'd 1100 Yds and 11 TD's. Not to mention Breaston. And when it mattered, we held them down. In fact, most of their points and yards came in the 4th quarter once Tomlin THOUGHT we had it, and had us playing away from our earlier atting defense that confused Warner. To the soft " Zone " that only then Warner and that Spread offense completed passes underneith on us.

So what, are you saying that Green Bay is a better more dangerous offense then Arizona was ? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

VegasStlrFan
01-26-2011, 12:19 AM
I've heard this same ridiculous argument when we played the Arizona offense 2 years ago. And TAHT Offense HAD a 2-time SB QB in Warner who had 4500 + Yd passing. And had 3 RB's who ran for over 1200 Yds, but scored 14 rushing TD's. And they had not 1, not 2 but 3 WR's all who had over 1000 Yds. One in Fitzgerald who had 1400 + Yds and 12 TD's. And Boldin'd 1100 Yds and 11 TD's. Not to mention Breaston. And when it mattered, we held them down. In fact, most of their points and yards came in the 4th quarter once Tomlin THOUGHT we had it, and had us playing away from our earlier atting defense that confused Warner. To the soft " Zone " that only then Warner and that Spread offense completed passes underneith on us.

So what, are you saying that Green Bay is a better more dangerous offense then Arizona was ? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

WTF does a Cards team 2 years ago have to do with this year. But since you brought it up, the Cards did have a tough offense that year. Was it better, doesn't matter, the Steelers D from 2 yrs ago isn't playing next weekend.

I do know the Packs O, Rogers in particular, is pretty dam good and their defense was number 2 in points allowed. If you think this is gonna be a cake walk your mistaken.

GBpack2010
01-26-2011, 12:22 AM
I was pulling for the Steelers to win the last super bowl in 08 simply cause they were the much better team. The Cards had no business being there and almost won the game. That was easily the best game winning drive I have ever seen anyone pull of like Roethlisberger did that night. Just hope he doesn't do that against us though lol.

VegasStlrFan
01-26-2011, 12:38 AM
It will be a good game. Steelers usually play to their competition and rarely put a game out reach, even when they get hot.