PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers beware, Green Bay has momentum and emotion on its side

mesaSteeler
01-25-2011, 10:22 PM
pennlive.com
Commentary: Pittsburgh Steelers beware, Green Bay has momentum and emotion on its side
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports//print.html
Published: Tuesday, January 25, 2011, 8:07 AM
STEFANIE LOH, The Patriot-News By STEFANIE LOH,

Congratulations Steelers, you’re in the Super Bowl.

Again.

And with two weeks to go before the big game in Dallas, Pittsburgh Steelers overhype in the midstate has just begun as Steelers fans salivate at the thought of the Black and Yellow trampling all over the Green Bay Packers to win a seventh Super Bowl.

But don’t count your chickens quite yet.

Even though this will be Pittsburgh’s third trip to the big game in six years, and the Packers’ first since 1997, Green Bay is a 1.5-point favorite to win. And while Pittsburgh has experience and history on its side — the Steelers beat Green Bay 37-36 the last time the teams faced off in 2009 — Green Bay has momentum.

After winning five games in a row and knocking off the Eagles, Falcons and Bears in succession, the Packers are riding high on self-belief and quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ electric play.

Rodgers’ gutsy touchdown-saving tackle of Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher in the third quarter of Sunday’s NFC championship game epitomizes the team’s morale right now — pull out all the stops, offense or defense, every play, every down.

Green Bay made some mistakes against the Bears on Sunday, but kept enough pressure on, and scored touchdowns in the first, second and fourth quarters to edge Chicago 21-14.

Pittsburgh on the other hand, rolled out to a 24-3 start, but did not score at all in the second half of their too-close-for-comfort 24-19 win over the New York Jets. The Steelers (12-4) have done well this year, but they’ve struggled to close out games at times, and have had some close calls.

So the swing factor in the Super Bowl may well come down to the emotional quotient. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a seasoned playoff veteran with two Super Bowl rings, and their roster is chock full of players who understand big game pressure and have risen to the occasion before.

Conversely, the last time the Packers were in a Super Bowl, Bill Clinton was in the Oval Office, and Brett Favre was their quarterback. There are guys on Green Bay’s roster — wide receiver Donald Driver and offensive tackle Chad Clifton, for instance — who are making their first trip to the Super Bowl after more than a decade in the league.

But just this once, the Packers’ lack of Super Bowl experience might play in their favor. This team has waited a long, long time for this moment, and their pent-up energy has to be approaching explosion level

So Steeler nation beware: your foe is a hot, hot team with offensive leaders who possess playoff-best statistics in passing, rushing and receiving. These Packers are eager to prove that they have once again fought their way to the top echelon of the NFL.

That kind of motivation can be very, very powerful.

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I really wish we didnt have the title as "Favorites" and honestly, I know we have been hot and all but I dont see the justification on a football field, maybe in the gamblers wallets but the Steelers should be the favorites.

Deserei90
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
It's not like it's something they haven't seen before.

cloppbeast
01-25-2011, 10:35 PM
pennlive.com
Commentary: Pittsburgh Steelers beware, Green Bay has momentum and emotion on its side
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports//print.html
Published: Tuesday, January 25, 2011, 8:07 AM
STEFANIE LOH, The Patriot-News By STEFANIE LOH,

Congratulations Steelers, you’re in the Super Bowl.

Again.

And with two weeks to go before the big game in Dallas, Pittsburgh Steelers overhype in the midstate has just begun as Steelers fans salivate at the thought of the Black and Yellow trampling all over the Green Bay Packers to win a seventh Super Bowl.

But don’t count your chickens quite yet.

Even though this will be Pittsburgh’s third trip to the big game in six years, and the Packers’ first since 1997, Green Bay is a 1.5-point favorite to win. And while Pittsburgh has experience and history on its side — the Steelers beat Green Bay 37-36 the last time the teams faced off in 2009 — Green Bay has momentum.

After winning five games in a row and knocking off the Eagles, Falcons and Bears in succession, the Packers are riding high on self-belief and quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ electric play.

Rodgers’ gutsy touchdown-saving tackle of Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher in the third quarter of Sunday’s NFC championship game epitomizes the team’s morale right now — pull out all the stops, offense or defense, every play, every down.

Green Bay made some mistakes against the Bears on Sunday, but kept enough pressure on, and scored touchdowns in the first, second and fourth quarters to edge Chicago 21-14.

Pittsburgh on the other hand, rolled out to a 24-3 start, but did not score at all in the second half of their too-close-for-comfort 24-19 win over the New York Jets. The Steelers (12-4) have done well this year, but they’ve struggled to close out games at times, and have had some close calls.

So the swing factor in the Super Bowl may well come down to the emotional quotient. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a seasoned playoff veteran with two Super Bowl rings, and their roster is chock full of players who understand big game pressure and have risen to the occasion before.

Conversely, the last time the Packers were in a Super Bowl, Bill Clinton was in the Oval Office, and Brett Favre was their quarterback. There are guys on Green Bay’s roster — wide receiver Donald Driver and offensive tackle Chad Clifton, for instance — who are making their first trip to the Super Bowl after more than a decade in the league.

But just this once, the Packers’ lack of Super Bowl experience might play in their favor. This team has waited a long, long time for this moment, and their pent-up energy has to be approaching explosion level

So Steeler nation beware: your foe is a hot, hot team with offensive leaders who possess playoff-best statistics in passing, rushing and receiving. These Packers are eager to prove that they have once again fought their way to the top echelon of the NFL.

That kind of motivation can be very, very powerful.

I get what the guy is saying, but he cherry picks his 'facts'.

The Packers played more games than anybody in the playoffs, so it stands to reason that they would lead in basically all offensive stats.

I'm curious to know how The Packers have more momentum than the Steelers. Green Bay's offense didn't score during the second half either. I can see Rodgers tackle inspiring the team, but what about the way Ben finished against the Jets. Even though Pittburgh's second half as a whole wasn't the best, they still made plays at the end of the game.

Kanata-Steeler
01-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I really wish we didnt have the title as "Favorites" and honestly, I know we have been hot and all but I dont see the justification on a football field, maybe in the gamblers wallets but the Steelers should be the favorites.

"Favourites" are for gamblin' and money does the talkin' - you know that.

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 10:42 PM
I think people look to much into one or even two games sometimes. Teams dont blowout and have perfect games every week, not in this league. Hence both our poorly played second halves last week. I think the Packers momentum is they (players) have played every game do or die for the last 5 weeks and won them all....That in itself has got to be a major confidence boost. I think that is why pundits say that we are so hot. Its more confidence than anything, not saying the Steelers dont have confidence as well, I just think the Packers confidence level and focus right now is unbelievable.

Talent wise I would say its a wash with possible favor going your direction.

Kanata-Steeler
01-25-2011, 10:43 PM
actually, one of the biggest underlying improvements with the Pack has been with their linebackers, maybe not as noticeable but still. Then again, it's no wonder, I mean look who your "Outside Linebackers Coach" is, my man, Kevin Greene from the Steelers back in the day.
:)

gbpacker40
01-25-2011, 10:55 PM
actually, one of the biggest underlying improvements with the Pack has been with their linebackers, maybe not as noticeable but still. Then again, it's no wonder, I mean look who your "Outside Linebackers Coach" is, my man, Kevin Greene from the Steelers back in the day.
:)

I agree and as I stated in another thread this happened when we lost Barnett. Our defensive play calling went to Hawk and Bishop replaced Barnett and as a unit our defense has been much more fundamentally sound and cohesive. Not to mention Bishop is much more suited for this defense than Barnett. A big reason our defense is playing better is also the play of Cullen Jenkins and especially Raji, who has been very impressive this year.

LVSteelersfan
01-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Who cares what some dufus writer has to say. The Steelers have the edge due to playoff and Super Bowl experience. They know how to deal with two weeks of the press drilling them at every turn. I am going to go out on a limb here and say right now that the Packers will come out slow because of the magnitude of the game. When it hits them, if the Steelers take advantage and get a couple score lead, it could be over. Sorry, I don't buy Rogers being able to outduel ben in the big game. Plus he has that SI cover jinx going for him as well.

FanSince72
01-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Like I've said before, it's time to stop thinking in terms of trends or "bulletin boards" or who has more mojo, or karma or any of that crap.

It's time for this team and its fans to step up and win simply because we're the best team in the NFL, the best FANS in the NFL and we're SUPPOSED TO WIN.

Look at it this way, do you think that any of the Steeler teams from the 70's cared that some other team may have carried a lucky rabbit's foot or won some game they shouldn't have and were thus on some mission from God?

No.

They just stood there and said we're the best friggin' team that anyone's ever seen and we're here to kick your sorry ass all over the field for sixty minutes so we can take our trophy and leave.

They didn't need any stars to align, they just won because THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO WIN.

Well that's how we need to see ourselves now; WE'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN because we're the best and it doesn't matter what anyone else says or does and that's all there is to it!

ricardisimo
01-26-2011, 06:07 AM
I get what the guy is saying, but he cherry picks his 'facts'.

The Packers played more games than anybody in the playoffs, so it stands to reason that they would lead in basically all offensive stats.

I'm curious to know how The Packers have more momentum than the Steelers. Green Bay's offense didn't score during the second half either. I can see Rodgers tackle inspiring the team, but what about the way Ben finished against the Jets. Even though Pittburgh's second half as a whole wasn't the best, they still made plays at the end of the game.
I don't know which "facts" you'd prefer he cherry-pick. Starks is not only the leading rusher in total yards in the playoffs, but in yards per game as well. And of the remaining players - in other words, between just us and them - the Packers lead in most every other per-game statistic.

Does that mean they're going to win? No. But the guy's not cherry-picking anything.

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I don't know which "facts" you'd prefer he cherry-pick. Starks is not only the leading rusher in total yards in the playoffs, but in yards per game as well. And of the remaining players - in other words, between just us and them - the Packers lead in most every other per-game statistic.

Does that mean they're going to win? No. But the guy's not cherry-picking anything.

This writer (blogger/fan with an Internet connection?) contending the Pack will play the emotion card is spouting nonsense - some writers tried to claim the Jets "wanted it more" last Sunday - it's teh Super Bowl and both teamns will be ready

As for playoff stats, they are impacted by the opponent - Steelers offense played the Ravens and Jets defenses - before Rodgers and the Pack returned to earth against the Bears, the Pack played Philadelphia (which has since fired its D-coordinator and linebackers coach) and an Atlanta D that is regarded as soft - not exactly the equiavalent of lighting it up against the '76 Steelers and '85 Bears.

Because the Pack probably will not waste much time trying to run, this match-up may be more like the New England and New Orleans games, both of which were losses.

But as they say in the mutual fund prospectuses, past performance is no guarantee of future results

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-26-2011, 09:35 AM
I find this article to be fairly humorous. A few days ago I watched the replay of the Packers and Steelers game. I have to say, I'm not impressed with the Packers defense. They play our same defensive system. The only difference is the fact that they run quite a few corner blitzes. This is something we use to do when we had Rod Woodson. In the game it was evident that Tyrone Carter could not keep up with the speed of the game. We also had quite a few mis-tackles. I'm not too concerned, our boys will clean it up. As far as the weapons are concerned, this Pack team reminds me of Arizona. Will it be a tough game? Absolutely!

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-26-2011, 09:41 AM

I'm not afraid of Starks. I'm not saying you are either. I thought that all of GB's opponents could be run on, especially Chicago's run defense. Let's face it GB likes to spread out their offense but they have not faced a defensive line/linebacker group like ours. I don't really count last year. Starks does not scare me whatsoever. I believe he is a product of the spread offense. Ryan Grant would have a difficult time running on us as well.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-26-2011, 09:50 AM
We have no MO on our side? what do we have 4 flat tires on the truck, lol

Packers let a 3rd string sub/scrub almost take it to them. Granted they were not on the verge of potential losing, only being tied. But the 3rd stringer did quite a job on them.

Actually should've showed us a lot. Packers could not handle the no huddle!!!!!! Packers have an Oline problem as well, the presuure the bears put on rogers was pretty good with a 4 man front. What will happen when it changed to 5 with a constant blitz.

kirklandrules
01-26-2011, 09:51 AM
It's not like it's something they haven't seen before.

Right! The Ravens had momentum and emotion. The Jets had momentum and emotion. In just four quarters of play, the Steelers b!tch slapped them both and sent them packing.

When the playoffs start, the Steelers have an emotion that doesn't come out in their dealings with the media: deep-seated anger. I think one question their scouts ask prior to drafting a player is "did your momma's boyfriend whip your azz daily?".

I like the GB franchise, it's players and what they've done this season so don't take this as trash talking. But don't try to pull this momentum and emotion crap because the Steelers have already addressed that.

NoFieldFive
01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
well in the article does this guy mention that the Bears almost came back against the Packers with their string quarterback?

both teams sucked equally in the second half.

both games were equally as close. the Bears were driving to tie the game on that last pick. The Jets never had the ball to go up or tie it.

PackAttack
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
i read that Dom Capers said he only rushed 3 because nobody in GB knew Caleb Hanie's mobility. Besides, he was a backup QB so make him throw and he'll serve up mistakes and our Secondary will make plays. Pretty much what happened.
Bend but don't break.

My concern was how much space Forte had to play with.

TRH
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
does that say "the Patriot-News" ??? This wouldn't happen to be a "new england" area writer, would it?

*very skeptical* of this