PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notes: Here they go again

mesaSteeler
01-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Steelers Notes: Here they go again
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/january/25/steelers-notes-here-they-go-again.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Tuesday January 25, 2011 11:45 PM

PITTSBURGH _ Even though he’s already been to two Super Bowls, Ben Roethlisberger is thrilled to be going to a third.

“A Super Bowl is a Super Bowl,” he said. “It doesn’t matter if it's your first one or your 10th one.

“It’s hard to rank them. We'll take as many as we can get it. Every one of them is special. “

Roethlisberger is one of 17 Steelers on the team’s current 53-man roster with two Super Bowl rings from the 2005 and '08 seasons.

The others are wide receiver Hines Ward, tight end Heath Miller, offensive linemen Chris Kemoeatu and Trai Essex, defensive linemen Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Chris Hoke and Aaron Smith, linebackers James Harrison, James Farrior, Larry Foote, defensive backs Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu and Bryant McFadden, long snapper Greg Warren and quarterback Charlie Batch.

Warren and Batch were on injured reserve in 2008.

Max Starks started at tackle in the ’05 and ’08 Super Bowls but was placed on injured reserve in November with a neck injury.

“This never gets old,” said cornerback Ike Taylor. “I'm fortunate and blessed. This is my third trip to the Super Bowl in eight years. (Tackle) Flozell Adams was in the league for 12 years (with Dallas) and never had the chance to go to the Super Bowl until now. I told him from training camp on that we are going to get you back home to the Super Bowl.”

PEP RALLY FRIDAY AT HEINZ FIELD

The Steelers Super Bowl Pep Rally will start at 4 p.m. Friday with a replay of the AFC Championship Game on the Heinz Field scoreboard.

There will also be entertainment throughout the evening with a local high school marching band, the Pittsburgh Poison Dance team and a performance by House of Soul.
Advertisement

KDKA’s Bob Pompeani and Ken Rice and Steelers radio play-by-play announcer Bill Hillgrove will then take the stage to welcome the Steelers.

Admission is free but there will be a $5 parking charge at stadium lots and at the Carnegie Science Center. Gates A & B at Heinz Field will open at 4 p.m.

Steelers merchandise will be available for purchase. Food concession stands will be open with a limited menu.

STEELERS DON’T MIND UNDERDOG ROLE

Even though they were a division champion and a No. 2 seed, and even though they have two fewer losses, the Steelers (14-4) are 2- to 3-point underdogs against the wild-card, sixth-seeded Packers (13-6) in Super Bowl XLV.

The Steelers are baffled that they aren’t favored by the odds makers. But they don’t seem to mind. If anything, it might be another source of motivation.

“I think we do our best when we're underdogs," backup nose tackle Chris Hoke said. "People were talking at the beginning of the season about how we were going to go 6-10 or 7-9 because we wouldn't have Ben for our first four games. And how about two years ago when we went to the Super Bowl? We had the toughest schedule in NFL history. People were saying, ‘Are they going to be able to make it out of (the regular season) with this schedule?’

"I think when you put our backs against the wall, when you tell us that we're an underdog and we can't do something, that's when we fight and we're at our best."