PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: Aaron Rodgers is 'elite'

Deserei90
01-26-2011, 03:44 PM
By James Walker
PITTSBURGH -- Expect the "E" word to be thrown around a lot as we talk about the two quarterbacks competing in Super XLV.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger got the ball rolling Wednesday when describing Green Bay Packers counterpart Aaron Rodgers.

"I think he's a phenomenal quarterback. I think he's an elite quarterback in this league, in my opinion," Roethlisberger said. "He has a really quick release, a strong arm, very accurate and a mobile guy."

Roethlisberger and Rodgers, both in their prime, are staking their claim this season as two of the NFL's best quarterbacks. Both are climbing into that rare category at the very top of the quarterback hierarchy currently occupied by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Roethlisberger has a chance to tie Brady, as he's going for his third Super Bowl title in seven seasons. Rodgers is competing in his first Super Bowl in six seasons. Although both will be competitors, Roethlisberger described Rodgers as a "good friend."

Super Bowl XLV will be a great showcase for both of these talented quarterbacks on the NFL's biggest stage.

http://burgh.us/1or

MikeHaullace
01-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Players shouldn't be able to be judged as elite until well after the conclusion of their careers. How many Ws and skins-on-the-wall did your teams accumulate? That's all that matters at the end of the day.

Mavajo
01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Players shouldn't be able to be judged as elite until well after the conclusion of their careers. How many Ws and skins-on-the-wall did your teams accumulate? That's all that matters at the end of the day.

Dan Marino wasn't elite? John Elway wasn't elite until 1997?

MikeHaullace
01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Dan Marino wasn't elite? John Elway wasn't elite until 1997?

You're right. There are exceptions to the rule indeed. I've watched the NFL for fhe last 21 years and have seen very few "elite" QBs in that time.

As a Steelers fan though, the standard is winning. That's more-so the point I was making.

MDSteel15
01-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Elway wasn't elite in 1997, his RB was elite...

MikeHaullace
01-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Elway wasn't elite in 1997, his RB was elite...

:salute:

Packerstud
01-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Ben and Aaron are prime time. The two best in the NFL right now. This should be a Super Bowl for the ages.

MikeHaullace
01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Ben and Aaron are prime time. The two best in the NFL right now. This should be a Super Bowl for the ages.

/thread

Welcome to the board.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Geez, even when Ben totes the line he gets roasted a bit for using to good of a word.

Dammit Ben just shut up, lol there is room for only one elite QB come Feb 6th and it better by you, lol

TRH
01-26-2011, 09:29 PM

well said.

El Nino
01-26-2011, 09:32 PM
elite is what I'd call the top 6-8 qb's in the league. they are both in that class.

harts
01-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Rodgers is a serious talent
so is Brady
so is Manning
with that being said
I would choose Ben as a my QB in a must win Game over all of those guys

Good move Ben just plays this media game under the radar deal
he has always been good about that
Let the media talk Rodgers and the Pack up

We just need #7 to get us #7

pherein
01-26-2011, 10:01 PM
They talked about us the same way. No matter what Brees did in his career it was never good enough to be better than Manning, no one was could beat Manning. With that I will leave you with a video done by on of our fans, and say "just because there the strong dosnt mean they can't get there @sses kicked", and no we dont think they are the better team. Best of luck to you and yours.

yhZg_TlOMXU

StainlessStill
01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
IMHO, Ben and Rodgers play so much alike. They both have similiar adversity to put up with very, very mediocre offensive lines and stand under an enormous amounts of pressure from the defense to step up and perform knowing you're going to get banged around.

With that said, I like our chances when it comes to who will perform better under duress. Rodgers is more athletic than Ben and weighs 25 pounds lighter, but Ben has nifty footwork as well and we've all seen him stiff arm defensive ends to the ground, stick with it and deliver downfield.

I just think Rodgers will go down easier than Ben & and I like that overall feeling of Ben versus their 3-4 over Rodgers facing ours.

stb_steeler
01-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I cant wait till they announce the league MVP...Let me quess....Marchia Brady!
Anyone else?:noidea:

Packerstud
01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
IMHO, Ben and Rodgers play so much alike. They both have similiar adversity to put up with very, very mediocre offensive lines and stand under an enormous amounts of pressure from the defense to step up and perform knowing you're going to get banged around.

That's the most intelligent post I've seen on this forum so far.

Our QBs are a lot a like. Both can scramble well. Both have strong arms and are accurate. Both play behind O Lines that need improvement.

But Ben is stronger and has a bigger body. He's harder to tackle.

Rodgers is surgical in his accuracy. With out a running game we've come to depend on his arm. Add some running to our game and Rodgers is unstoppable.

StainlessStill
01-26-2011, 10:34 PM
That's the most intelligent post I've seen on this forum so far.

Our QBs are a lot a like. Both can scramble well. Both have strong arms and are accurate. Both play behind O Lines that need improvement.

But Ben is stronger and has a bigger body. He's harder to tackle.

Rodgers is surgical in his accuracy. With out a running game we've come to depend on his arm. Add some running to our game and Rodgers is unstoppable.

Agreed 100%. I love A.R. I think he's a major stud with untouchable potential and WILL be in more Super Bowls than this one.

Rodgers and Ben play a very similiar style but Green Bay's offense simply is more pass-heavy with 0 running game (unfortunately for Rodgers.) Ben got a balanced attack, one that can give G.B fits if they can move the chains and sustain drives. I still think GB should pound the rock on occasion or else James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley will sharpen their hooves on a fast track.

Pittsburgh has turned into a pass first, run second team. Ben certainly is tougher in build while Rodgers can get out of the pocket much more quicker and faster but will fall to the ground easier if he gets knocked around early and often. IMHO, this is the perfect matchup to break down, top to bottom. I seriously can't put a finger on who has the edge. Right now it has to be Pitt for the lone fact that most of these players been here before, while more than 90% of G.B's roster has not.

tony hipchest
01-27-2011, 12:52 AM
aaron rogers is damn good but he is no brett favre.

brett favre.

MikeHaullace
02-01-2011, 05:01 AM
:stupid::dancing: