PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl fight card: Clay vs. Big Ben

mesaSteeler
01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Bowl fight card: Clay vs. Big Ben
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/114617349.html
By Lori Nickel of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 25, 2011 |(36) Comments

One of the great things about football is that with 22 men on the field for every play, a game will have plenty of jersey-against-jersey, individual battles worthy of their own boxing ring.

Super Bowl XLV is a perfect example.

Bring in Green Bay's whirling dervish, Clay Matthews, and his 17 sacks this season and turn him loose against Pittsburgh's imposing quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, and just wait for the punches and counterpunches to unfold.

It's not that Roethlisberger can't be sacked.

In fact, he has been 274 times in the regular season in his seven-year career.

The opportunity to get to him is there. But getting to him and bringing him down can be two different matters entirely.

The 28-year-old Roethlisberger is 6-foot-5 and 241 pounds, easily one of the most physically imposing men at the position and clearly one of the greatest challenges for the Green Bay defense when the Packers play Pittsburgh on Feb. 6.

"You see quarterbacks who sometimes go down easily," said Matthews, Green Bay's all-pro outside linebacker. "But he's one of those guys who will fight and gets out of a lot of sacks. And the sacks that he does give up, he's still standing."

Roethlisberger is a two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback who threw for 3,200 yards with 17 touchdowns and five interceptions in 12 regular-season games. He was sacked 32 times in the regular season and eight in the playoffs this year.

In 2009, he was sacked 50 times to share the NFL lead with Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers.

Two of Roethlisberger's sacks came at the hands of Matthews. As a rookie he faced Roethlisberger and the Steelers on a frigid December night at Heinz Field, and Matthews turned out one of his best games all year. In addition to the sacks, Matthews hit Roethlisberger three times and added two quarterback hurries. He also had eight tackles.

But Roethlisberger was unstoppable. He had 503 passing yards, including a miraculous, last-second 19-yard touchdown throw to Mike Wallace in the corner of the end zone. The Steelers beat the Packers, 37-36.

Roethlisberger and the rest of the NFL saw a Matthews who gave an impressive one-man showing. A year later, he's even better.

"I'm only in my second year, so I think the possibilities are endless," said Matthews. "When I came here, I didn't want to be just another guy on the team. I wanted to be a playmaker and I wanted to be a leader of this defense. And I think I'm taking the step in the right direction."

Matthews had 13 1/2 sacks in the regular season and has recorded 3 1/2 more in the playoffs. Roethlisberger now faces a matured Matthews capable of taking over a drive by making game-changing plays.

"Clay Matthews brings an intensity, a motor, a passion to our defense that's just contagious," said Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

If Roethlisberger holds the ball too long or runs around the pocket and drifts - making it hard for his offensive line to sustain their blocks for him - that's an opportunity for Matthews.

Matthews forced two fumbles and had one interception (returned 62 yards for a touchdown) with four passes defensed in the regular season.

"Obviously, with quarterbacks like that, you just need to stay alive in your pass rush," said Matthews. "Obviously, last year was last year, but we had some success against him rushing the passer as well. We gave up way too much in the passing game.

"If there's anything to learn from last year's loss, it's that. So we've got to stay alive, really get after him, and kind of collapse the pocket on him and force him to not be able to complete those passes where he moves around and breaks tackles."

McCarthy said he would have his coaches and players review that 2009 game against the Steelers to help prepare for the Super Bowl.

"Dynamic football player, Roethlisberger," said McCarthy. "He's very gifted in extending plays. When you look at Ben and you look at Aaron, they have that unique ability to play in the pocket and play out of the pocket.

"Roethlisberger can make all the throws inside the pocket and particularly when things break down, just once again extend the plays. He's a world champion. He's been to this game twice. He has two Super Bowls under his belt. So he definitely makes that offense go."

StainlessStill
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
My opinion of the matchup to watch is Pittsburgh's defensive line VERSUS Green Bay's offensive line.

If Pittsburgh can get the pressure that is needed from our front men, then I can see them tormenting Rodgers into rushed throws and running uncomfortably out of the pocket. If we can't get that pressure, atleast on occasion, then I worry that Rodgers will pick us apart all game long. Isn't his completition percentile in the 100's facing the blitz? Impressive.

As far as Matthews, ANOTHER stud I absolutley love. Man, would he look good in Black and Gold. Unfortunately for him and the overall Green Bay defense, there is NOTHING they can possibly do to confuse us.

They have our model of defense and we've went up against more aggressiveness with Baltimore and N.Y the past two weeks so I think we can move the ball on these guys. Depends on getting to Rodgers because he's their only hope of getting a 4th ring.

USWSteel
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
My opinion of the matchup to watch is Pittsburgh's defensive line VERSUS Green Bay's offensive line.

If Pittsburgh can get the pressure that is needed from our front men, then I can see them tormenting Rodgers into rushed throws and running uncomfortably out of the pocket. If we can't get that pressure, atleast on occasion, then I worry that Rodgers will pick us apart all game long. Isn't his completition percentile in the 100's facing the blitz? Impressive.

As far as Matthews, ANOTHER stud I absolutley love. Man, would he look good in Black and Gold. Unfortunately for him and the overall Green Bay defense, there is NOTHING they can possibly do to confuse us.

They have our model of defense and we've went up against more aggressiveness with Baltimore and N.Y the past two weeks so I think we can move the ball on these guys. Depends on getting to Rodgers because he's their only hope of getting a 4th ring.

Where the hell do you come up with this comment ? I think Ben was more than a little confused last week ! 10 completions and 4 of his passes hit Jets defenders in the hands!! You need to take Ben's sack off your chin.

Packerstud
01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/deadscotty/matsteele.jpg

StainlessStill
01-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Where the hell do you come up with this comment ? I think Ben was more than a little confused last week ! 10 completions and 4 of his passes hit Jets defenders in the hands!! You need to take Ben's sack off your chin.

First off, this Green Bay Packers defense is our model and our style of play. Like I've said before, we've played WAY MORE aggressive defense's that run this style in Baltimore and New York so as far as what to expect, I don't think they can pull off anything that's going to confuse us scheme wise. Now, how Ben performs is a different story of getting the ball to our wideouts but this doesn't necc attend to Ben, this goes for our whole offensive personal whether it be our O-line, OR our wide receiver reads. This is a defense we've played TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

Wallace108
01-26-2011, 11:16 PM

Dude, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's opinion ... I do it all the time. But can you make at least one post without being a complete douche toward other posters? I think you can do it. So don't prove me wrong, champ.

Sorry, mods ... back on topic. I don't think it's a matter of our offense being confused. It's all about execution. I don't t think Green Bay will bring anything we haven't seen before. It's just a question of whether the O-Line can stop it.

StainlessStill
01-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Dude, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's opinion ... I do it all the time. But can you make at least one post without being a complete douche toward other posters? I think you can do it. So don't prove me wrong, champ.

Sorry, mods ... back on topic. I don't think it's a matter of our offense being confused. It's all about execution. I don't t think Green Bay will bring anything we haven't seen before. It's just a question of whether the O-Line can stop it.

Ding, ding. Exactly my point!

sarahpalinhater
01-26-2011, 11:27 PM

I agree with you. However I do think it is possible that we might change things a bit on our offense. I suspect to see alot more quick option plays for Ben to throw to if a big Blitz package comes after him. Either the screen to Mendy, who has been doing better on those as the season went on. Not withstanding the bobble he had against the Jets that caused one of Ben's Interceptions that wasn't Ben's fault at all. Or either Brown on a quick-hitter, or Miller on a slant.

The biggest key of the game I think is to have us start off quick in the scoring. Cause I suspect Green Bay will come out nervous, and too hyped up. First time teams usually do.

Wallace108
01-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I agree with you. However I do think it is possible that we might change things a bit on our offense. I suspect to see alot more quick option plays for Ben to throw to if a big Blitz package comes after him. Either the screen to Mendy, who has been doing better on those as the season went on. Not withstanding the bobble he had against the Jets that caused one of Ben's Interceptions that wasn't Ben's fault at all. Or either Brown on a quick-hitter, or Miller on a slant.

The biggest key of the game I think is to have us start off quick in the scoring. Cause I suspect Green Bay will come out nervous, and too hyped up. First time teams usually do.

I hope you're right. During the playoff games, I was wondering what happened to the successful quick slants we saw against Carolina and Cleveland. It's hard to argue with scoring 17 points in the first half against the Jets, but we have to remember that we scored ZERO in the second half ... well, -2 if you want to get technical. I feel more comfortable with quick passes rather than actually expecting the O-Line to pass protect. Quick passes and the running game will set up the deep pass. :noidea:

Packerstud
01-27-2011, 12:03 AM
I don't t think Green Bay will bring anything we haven't seen before

Then you know nothing of Dom Capers. He has spent the last 19 weeks disguising blitz packages. Do you think BJ Raji slid into coverage by mistake?

Have you not seen one Packer game this year? Capers prides himself of being the Master of Disguise. As the season gets longer the looks have gone from 6 Down Linemen to 0 Down Linemen. Good luck scheming for that.

Everyone says we play a 3-4 D. We actually play a Cover 7 or a 2-4-5 scheme that has baffled offenses all season.

I hope your coaches feel the same way you do!

tony hipchest
01-27-2011, 12:06 AM

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/youathingofthepastiya5.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/dick-thumb.gif

you are quite the little curmudgeon, arent you?

take this as a warning.

Wallace108
01-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Then you know nothing of Dom Capers.
Uh, he used to be our defensive coordinator. :noidea:

Capers prides himself of being the Master of Disguise.
That reminds me of another defensive coordinator I've heard of ... a guy by the name of Dick LeBeau. :wave:

LVSteelersfan
01-27-2011, 12:41 AM
And Big Ben eludes yet another sack as he throws the ball 30 yards downfield to Mike Wallace for a TD. :tt04: :tt03: :tt02: :tt:

Packerstud
01-27-2011, 01:13 AM
And Big Ben eludes yet another sack as he throws the ball 30 yards downfield to Mike Wallace for a TD.

More like

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/deadscotty/mat2.jpg

tony hipchest
01-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Then you know nothing of Dom Capers. He has spent the last 19 weeks disguising blitz packages. Do you think BJ Raji slid into coverage by mistake?

other than being the 1st fired coach for expansion teams in carolina and houston, im thinking you didnt know jack shit about dom before last season.

i gotta wonder how much you knew about the 3-4 scheme before last season. :tap:

Packerstud
01-27-2011, 01:40 AM
i gotta wonder how much you knew about the 3-4 scheme before last season
Been a Packer fan since 1968. Played Te-Wideout from 1975-78 in high school, Bayview Red Cats

First noticed Dom when he was a Defensive Backs Coach at Ohio State in 1982. Big 10, Wisconsin and all.

Have you seen any Packer games this year?

Like I said, we don't really play a 3-4

caseyviator
01-27-2011, 05:53 PM

I LOVE THAT BATTLE OF THE BEASTS BANNER U HAVE IT IS JUST TOOOO COOOOL
ITS JUST TO BAD U HAVE IT IN THE WRONGE SUPERBEASTS COLORS AAHHAHAHHAH I LOVE IT THOUGH
ARE U READY HERE IT COMES!!!

caseyviator
01-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Have you not seen one Packer game this year? Capers prides himself of being the Master of Disguise. As the season gets longer the looks have gone from 6 Down Linemen to 0 Down Linemen. Good luck scheming for that.

Everyone says we play a 3-4 D. We actually play a Cover 7 or a 2-4-5 scheme that has baffled offenses all season.

I hope your coaches feel the same way you do!

DO U FORGET CAPERS USED TO COACH FOR US???????????????????????

StainlessStill
01-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Been a Packer fan since 1968. Played Te-Wideout from 1975-78 in high school, Bayview Red Cats

First noticed Dom when he was a Defensive Backs Coach at Ohio State in 1982. Big 10, Wisconsin and all.

Have you seen any Packer games this year?

Like I said, we don't really play a 3-4

Capers used to coach Pittsburgh's D so we know a lot of what he can bring. Could you imagine how thick a defensive football defensive playbook is? There is so much you could do with creativity, esp that of when you got guys like Matthews/Polamalu/Timmons/Woodson/Raji/Harrison, etc.

Green Bay drafted for 2 years straight the personal needed to run their base 3-4 and what they could do. They also, like any other team, can go from a 5-2, to a 3-4, to a 4-4, to a 4-3 the second the ball is snapped. Defense's like ours disguise alot, it's just the matter of the offense determining who's coming and who's fibbing.

I like Green Bay's psycho package, one of my favorite. I'd love to see Pittsburgh use something like that more often, as well as having a Bellicheat type line stand-up (standup nose/tackles/ends.)

GBpack2010
01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Big Ben is really good in the clutch. That is why I hope the game isnt close and he doesnt have the ball last. He is one of the best qbs in the clutch. I have to give the guy alot of credit. He is very underrated.

StainlessStill
01-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Big Ben is really good in the clutch. That is why I hope the game isnt close and he doesnt have the ball last. He is one of the best qbs in the clutch. I have to give the guy alot of credit. He is very underrated.

He'll never get the respect he deserves, especially dealing with his off the field issues. People can't seem to separate that from his on field accomplishments, which is okay with us because I've watched every snap the man took under center since his rookie year and the types of plays he made simply is amazing. Just when you think he can't make a play better than the last, he goes out and makes it.. plays that DON'T pick up on the stat sheets.

You have a quarterback poised to be great as well. I predict this won't be your last Super Bowl appearance with Rodgers leading your team.

GBpack2010
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
He'll never get the respect he deserves, especially dealing with his off the field issues. People can't seem to separate that from his on field accomplishments, which is okay with us because I've watched every snap the man took under center since his rookie year and the types of plays he made simply is amazing. Just when you think he can't make a play better than the last, he goes out and makes it.. plays that DON'T pick up on the stat sheets.

You have a quarterback poised to be great as well. I predict this won't be your last Super Bowl appearance with Rodgers leading your team.

I think Rodgers is already great. I mean he has put up great numbers the first three years in the league. He led us to the super bowl in his 3rd year as a starter.

BengalDestroyer
01-27-2011, 06:14 PM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/photo-gallery/2009-Steelers-vs-Packers/e3300998-0bf0-4198-a29f-735b1a98a352

StainlessStill
01-27-2011, 06:17 PM

I think Rodgers is already great. I mean he has put up great numbers the first three years in the league. He led us to the super bowl in his 3rd year as a starter.

Judging by what we've seen so far, he's on pace but he is STILL has a lot to prove and needs to ring out multiple more seasons with the same kind of success's. 3 years is way, way pre-mature to credit him with anything just yet but there's no doubt he's a gem and at this very moment, he's certainly top 5. It's up to him in the middle-stages of his career to advance his success.

GBpack2010
01-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Judging by what we've seen so far, he's on pace but he is STILL has a lot to prove and needs to ring out multiple more seasons with the same kind of success's. 3 years is way, way pre-mature to credit him with anything just yet but there's no doubt he's a gem and at this very moment, he's certainly top 5. It's up to him in the middle-stages of his career to advance his success.

I hope he can. Man if he stays healthy we could be a dynasty if he continues this kind of success but our O line and defense need to be great every year as well. You think he is another Peyton Manning type qb?

StainlessStill
01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I hope he can. Man if he stays healthy we could be a dynasty if he continues this kind of success but our O line and defense need to be great every year as well. You think he is another Peyton Manning type qb?

As far as style? Absolutely not and that's not a bad thing. As far as meaning huge to the team, I'd say so to a degree. Unlike Peyton (who played in a much tougher conference his whole career), Rodgers has a pretty good defense and before Grant got hurt, it looked like Rodgers would be even more dangerous with a balance type attack.

He struggled behind an offensive line that wouldn't let him plant his feet and Green Bay certainly did fluctuate between good, bad and great but judging by how he led the team to a playoff birth and the type of numbers he's put up in the playoffs, if they can draft around him and put him in a comfortable situation with talent then G.B has a shot at many runs. Their potential is huge but the Pack wasn't close to being dominant this season.

Packerstud
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
They also, like any other team, can go from a 5-2, to a 3-4, to a 4-4, to a 4-3 the second the ball is snapped. Defense's like ours disguise alot, it's just the matter of the offense determining who's coming and who's fibbing.

Again outstanding knowledge of the game.

I'm basically looking at your last game and our [Packers] last three games. I see lots of opportunities for Capers to exploit.

Just because Capers and LeBeau spent sometime of their carrers working together and Capers coached you D 15 years ago means absolutely nothing.

I truly believe that this game will come down to Capers against your suspect O Line.

StainlessStill
01-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I truly believe that this game will come down to Capers against your suspect O Line.

Very, very, very funny you say that. I'm on record in saying that the matchup of the game in favor if the Steelers want to win would be the Steelers defensive line VS the Packers O-line.

I've seen Rodgers sit back there and pick apart defense's non-stop, but I also saw him fall to the ground with ease and be tormented MANY times under a good amount of pressure.

If the Steelers can push the Pack line into his face and make him force his timing off and skip balls to his WR's, then I think the Steelers D can have their way with the Pack since they will most likely be one-dimensional. If we can't get a slight rush & if our blitz is picked up, I expect a long day for the Steelers D. Will be interesting.

cubanstogie
01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Again outstanding knowledge of the game.

I'm basically looking at your last game and our [Packers] last three games. I see lots of opportunities for Capers to exploit.

Just because Capers and LeBeau spent sometime of their carrers working together and Capers coached you D 15 years ago means absolutely nothing.

you could say thats the beauty of our o-line, every team has got to Ben. He is used to it and can still make the plays. I would still like to see him with time to throw don't get me wrong but I consider Ben to be one of the best if not the best QB at handling pressure. After all he is used to it. Our best weapon against your pass rush will be our running game. Everyone talking about Rodgers' advantage on the quick turf in which I agree but no one is considering the Mendy advantage on the turf. The fact that we are not one dimensional will help our banged up line protect Ben.

GBpack2010
01-27-2011, 06:52 PM
We have lost to much weaker teams though. You guys have lost to top teams in their divisions like the Saints, Pats, and Baltimore. I really think we can beat you guys but it will be the toughest playoff game we have so far.

StainlessStill
01-27-2011, 06:55 PM
We have lost to much weaker teams though. You guys have lost to top teams in their divisions like the Saints, Pats, and Baltimore. I really think we can beat you guys but it will be the toughest playoff game we have so far.

Of course you can beat us. This may be the most equal Super Bowl in ages when breaking down position by position. It's incredible that we can break it down limb for limb and STILL not have the slightest clue who has the edge.

Both teams are very eerily similiar other than the balanced offensive attack, which should give the Steelers a slight edge in the long run in keeping #12 off the field.

Packerstud
01-27-2011, 07:01 PM
If the Steelers can push the Pack line into his face and make him force his timing off and skip balls to his WR's, then I think the Steelers D can have their way with the Pack since they will most likely be one-dimensional.

Rodgers SEEMS to play well under pressure, but if you watch closely thats where his biggest mistakes come from. This is my biggest concern.

I consider Ben to be one of the best if not the best QB at handling pressure. After all he is used to it. Our best weapon against your pass rush will be our running game.

I agree, this is why Raji over Legursky will help Matthews and Capers to dominate.

StainlessStill
01-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I expect the Steelers to get Hines involved very early, racking off some WR bubble screens to test the outside of Green Bay's edge since most of their activity is in the middle. Hines can set the tone early with his aggressive play. Maybe get Mendenhall off right end alongside the big man Adams and let him use his speed on the turf to the outside. Wallace will be waiting for the long ball patiently.

tony hipchest
01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I agree, this is why Raji over Legursky will help Matthews and Capers to dominate.

:rolleyes:

just like hampton over your center will help timmons, farrior, lebeau, and harrison to dominate.

i guess were even then.

StainlessStill
01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
:rolleyes:

just like hampton over your center will help timmons, farrior, lebeau, and harrison to dominate.

i guess were even then.

I'm already very much excited to see these two teams play on the fast track, two similiar teams that play on the dirt and slop. I think our speed on offense and obviously defense is very underrated.