Class Year: Jr
Experience: 2V
High School: Atlantic Community
Hometown: Delray Beach, FL

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Height: 6-3 7/8 | Weight: 232 | 40-Time: 4.88
Strengths:
Has prototypical size and a big sturdy frame...A very accurate passer...Arm strength is more than adequate...Athletic with solid speed...Moves well in the pocket and can throw on the run...Very smart with the ball and doesn't make a lot of mistakes...Extremely productive...Still has some upside...A leader on the field.

Weaknesses:
Has a sidearm throwing motion that could lead to a lot of passes being batted down...May need to have his mechanics reworked...Did not play against top competition all the time...Rarely threw the ball deep downfield...Took most of his snaps out of the shotgun...Played in wide open offense that padded his stats.

Notes:
Had an amazing sophomore season (41 / 4 TD to INT ratio) and then struggled a bit in 2005...Has a lot of tools that you look and might just need to be coached up and adjust to the pro game...A potential starting quarterback at the next level.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/omarjacobs.html

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM
they say this kid could be a steal if he develops right..

Ohio Steeler
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM
could turn out to be a good back up

tony hipchest
04-30-2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jacobs_omar

Omar Jacobs
Height: 6-4
Weight: 233
40 Speed: 4.83 C
Position: Quarterback
College: Bowling Green
Final Grade: E 5.4

GM JR Scouting LLC Grading Scale/Key

SUMMARY
Jacobs was one of the most disappointing quarterbacks graded because when he declared early for the 2006 NFL Draft, all the media was talking about him being a top 10 pick and challenging Matt Leinart and Vince Young for the top quarterback spot. However, after watching film, it was quickly apparent that Jacobs most likely was not going to be chosen on the first day of the draft. He has the mental intangibles and physical tools to play quarterback in the NFL, but in order for him to become the player he is capable of, he is going to have to greatly improve his throwing technique. He has played almost exclusively in the shotgun formation and will need to adjust to lining up under center in a more traditional NFL offense. He needs to become much more consistent striding into throws while keeping his front leg bent and following through on passes in order to become a consistent-enough passer to be productive in the NFL. He's poised and relaxed in the pocket when the pressure is all around him and if he can improve his mechanics to become an accurate passer, he is already polished in terms of staying in the pocket and making late throws under heavy pressure. While he has a good-enough arm to make all the throws, he does not have a top-level arm so, unless his technique becomes very good and he always strides into throws, he will never be able to make the deep throw with consistent accuracy and zip. He has a tendency to try and put zip on passes down the field, which lets defensive backs cut in front of the receiver and make plays on the ball consistently. Overall, Jacobs is going to be a mid-round pick because he has the physical tools to start in the NFL. However, most quarterbacks who come into the NFL with major technique problems are not able to improve their technique enough to become the player they are physically capable of.

STRONG POINTS
Jacobs is a very smart quarterback who shows very good patience and poise in the pocket vs. the rush. He does not panic and will wait a long time to try and make good throws. His natural size and strength enable him to keep his feet in the pocket while pass rushers try and grab at his feet to trip him up. He has good size and the natural arm strength to make all the throws with zip and accuracy when he does everything right technique-wise. He reads the defense well at the line of scrimmage and can adjust to the blitz, finds the vacated area and hits the receiver who goes there. He has consistently shown the ability to step up and convert important downs into first downs. While he lacks good playing speed when he scrambles, he has the strength to break tackles and gains yards after contact.

WEAKNESSES
Jacobs is an adequate athlete who lacks the foot quickness and playing speed to make big plays with his feet. He has bad footwork and throwing technique really hinder his ability to consistently throw accurately. He stands very upright in the pocket and usually does not stride into his throws -- even when he does, he strides with a stiff front leg and snaps over it. Because he does not stride into or follow through on passes, his passes do not consistently have zip and they tend to dip in front of the receiver on medium/deep routes. He has a sidearm throwing motion, which leads to him getting passes tipped at the line of scrimmage, and he's a little bit deliberate, which allows defenders to read the pass quickly and break and close fast to make plays on the ball.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Absolutely dont like the pick unless someone can offer some reason why this guy can fit into any position.

It tasted a little worse because it came one pick after Seattle picks David Kirtman to shore up the running attack with Alexander. That was a treasure at a garage sale.

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Highlight video http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects?rank_type=3

Avoid Lloyd
04-30-2006, 01:36 PM
We needed a third stringer. I expected them to get a QB at some point today.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2006, 01:36 PM
The FO mentioned that they wanted to bring in another QB in this draft, so we have more options for our 3rd guy in camp and into the season. I figured we'd grab one somewhere but I thought maybe in the 6th round instead and get our RB depth here.

Stlrs4Life
04-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Looks pretty good. Expect it too though. Man BG really thew alot on Wisconsin.

SteelShooter
04-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Absolutely dont like the pick unless someone can offer some reason why this guy can fit into any position.

It tasted a little worse because it came one pick after Seattle picks David Kirtman to shore up the running attack with Alexander. That was a treasure at a garage sale.

:iagree: I agree with this post over all of the others!!! Sure, there is a need for a 3rd stringer....but that could be picked up off of the streets. IMO, this was a wasted pick when we could be going for a power RB to be tutored under Duce, who does not have too many seasons left in him (IF he can even stay healthy this entire season). :crutches:

Now, I do not work in the front office, nor am I privy to the plans Bill and Staff have formulated.........but sometimes you just wanna say "What in the He11 was that?????" :dang:

Nice post Haiku_Dirtt! I think you nailed this one perfectly! :thmbup:

Hines Alou
04-30-2006, 01:49 PM
wait til the draft is over to rip on the picks, honestly. You dont know whats gonna happen

SteelShooter
04-30-2006, 01:56 PM
wait til the draft is over to rip on the picks, honestly. You dont know whats gonna happen

True.....and I stated that I was not privy to the FO's plans in my post. Perhaps he will fit into the gadget play role, or convert to a WR like ARE did. Who knows. I am not "ripping on the picks." But...I am STILL entitled to my opinion Hines Alou, and as of right now, I am not completely comfortable with this pick when we have a need for depth at RB. All IMO, of course.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-30-2006, 01:56 PM

Ok. I'll wait until later today to rip this pick. How that chickens**t throw he has will ever turn into a Carson Palmer canon - okay sorry - into a Brian St. Pierre pistol is something I'd like to see.

I doubt we'll see him on special teams - that's what I don't like.

SteelerzGirl
04-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Meh, we needed someone in that 3rd string QB role (at least it's not Kordell or Maddox), so it should be interesting to see what plans the coaching staff has for him.

Welcome to the Steelers, Omar. :smile:

BB2W
04-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Interesting pick, I like this one too... He should be an above average back-up with a chance to start in this league someday. He should have stayed in college for his senior season and he might have been a first round pick next year.

desertsteel
04-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Ok. I'll wait until later today to rip this pick. How that chickens**t throw he has will ever turn into a Carson Palmer canon - okay sorry - into a Brian St. Pierre pistol is something I'd like to see.

I doubt we'll see him on special teams - that's what I don't like.
I'm sure you'd be happier with Tommy Maddox! I've seen Jacobs play and he's a true prospect.

beSteelmyheart
04-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Would be interesting to see them turn him into a threat like ARE-as tall as he is, turn him into a WR who can also throw some gadget plays. Just a thought..

BigBen2WardPITT
04-30-2006, 09:30 PM
This guy is way underrated, he could be the next mike vick if he is given a few years of good coaching, i have a feeling he may be pissed that he is being labeled a "backup QB" for us for, well, forever. In a few years he may leave to go try to start for a team

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2006, 09:36 PM
he's a poor man version of vince young.same bad throwing motion with less speed. worst backup prospect since tee martin.

SteelerDan43
04-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I think he has some decent upside, the MAC competition knock is no longer valid with the quality of QB they have been putting out, I would say he has a chance to be our Matt Schaub

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2006, 09:59 PM
I'll take a matt shaub over a kent graham anyday... bring him on :laughing:

DIESELMAN
04-30-2006, 10:30 PM
We can use him at RB for fill in see what he does.......

SteelShooter
04-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Even though my first post to this I was a wee bit skeptical I still like the prospect of "gadget position" for this guy. If anyone can get some value from this guy, it will be Bill and Whiz!
:tt:

tony hipchest
04-30-2006, 11:13 PM
i dont think he was drafted to be a gadget guy. 4-5 teams drafted college qb's today to turn into gadget guys on the heels of randel els success. funny how 1 play will change teams drafting philosophies. its not like we have been having success with this type orf player for the past 10 years.

1 play and the rest of the league wakes up. o. jacobs was drafted to be as much of a slash, as tee martin and b. st pierre was. o jacaobs will be a back up qb to replace t. maddox roster spot. nothing more.

DiggetyDank
05-01-2006, 03:32 AM
I'm not sure how much of a "gadget" guy Omar will be. From what I've looked at, he's more of a pocket passer (26 TDs to 7 INTS last season!), though he's good enough on his feet to avoid the pass rush and gain the occasion first down or TD (a bit like Ben). He's the prototypical size and height for a QB, has a strong arm and is tough as hell, but the general consensus seems to be that he should have stayed in school another year. I think this guy has a ton of upside and'll probably start for a another team in a few years. First thing, he needs to learn to get snaps from center.

Whoever said to try him at RB was joking, right? He is just not that kind of QB.

BigSteelThrill
05-01-2006, 03:49 AM
This guys is super accurate and threw 41 Tds to 4 Ints one season. gadget? Are you people daft? He has a side arm deliver at times, but nowhere near as bad Rivers. He will be #3 and has the ability to be the #2 QB in the future. He will give us a chance to win games if has to play, unlike some others QBs that we have had. (Maddox, Rutherford, StPierre...).

The ONLY knocks on him...
He throws side arm on some of his throws. But remained very accurate, even when throwing deep.
He doesnt show/use much progression, but didnt have to.
He played in the MAC.

He is a QUARTERBACK. Not a runner or a receiver or a slash or a gadget man.

DiggetyDank
05-01-2006, 04:10 AM
Well said, BigSteel.

Though I don't know how much of a knock playing in the MAC is now.......

I've been interested in Jacobs since earlier in the college season, and was somebody I was really hoping we'd try out for our 3rd-Stringer.

Suitanim
05-01-2006, 08:53 AM
I've seen the kid play, and between him and Gradkowski, I'd be happy with either player. Accurate pocket passer (definitely no gadget play guy) with a weird throwing motion who has NEVER HAD PROPER COACHING AT THE QB POSITION.

Give him some time with Mark Whipple and this kid will become a nice back-up, maybe even more.