Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V
High School: St. Mary's
Hometown: Fraser, MI

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Height: 6-3 1/4 | Weight: 254 | 40-Time: 4.91
Strengths:
Has excellent size and the frame to get bigger still...Is a tremendous natural athlete with good quickness...Has soft, reliable hands and displays good body control...Fine pass catcher who is a threat in the short to intermediate zones.

Weaknesses:
Does not have very good speed...Won't be a threat to stretch the field...Is not the blocker he should be for a guy his size...Needs to work on and refine his technique...Upside is limited and may never be more than a backup in the pros.

Notes:
Also played basketball in the Big 10 for the Boilermakers...Was named the "Player you'd least want to meet in a dark alley" in a poll of Big Ten players...Has the physical tools to be a solid all-around tight end at the next level...The type of player who will never be a star but could be a solid contributer in the NFL.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/te/charlesdavis.html

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2006, 01:29 PM
These basketball players are getting more and more attention these days. Not sure how much of a chance he'll have to make the team but u never know.

tony hipchest
i dont understand this pick.

Prosdo
I'm a little puzzled by it as well. I was expecting a RB.

Prosdo
04-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Highlight video on this page http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects?rank_type=9

Stlrs4Life
04-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Not sure of this one. Doesn't seem like he is a very good blocker.

Volpe1564
04-30-2006, 01:36 PM
blocking is just attitude... to quote a great blocker lol. remember brady was picked late on day 2 and everyone said he wouldnt make it.......

Haiku_Dirtt
04-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Special teams is a critical part of the game. Bad special team play can burn down the castle in seconds. So Davis is ok with me. And eventually Tuman will need to be replaced.

But Omar Jacobs? Nice throwing technique. Did the Rooneys buy an arena team?

Rotorhead
04-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Maybe they are looking for the jumpball guy at the goal line out of a double TE set?? That would be a switch up, have everyone in for a rushing TD and drop a quick high pass to a tall guy with some springs to thow them off maybe.

clevestinks
04-30-2006, 03:38 PM
These basketball players are getting more and more attention these days. Not sure how much of a chance he'll have to make the team but u never know.
Are we sure he will stay a TE??

HburgXL06
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
But Omar Jacobs? Nice throwing technique. Did the Rooneys buy an arena team?

What you mean?

BuFu

SteelerzGirl
04-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Geesh... I just don't get it, but welcome to the Steelers, Charles. :smile:

nwksteeler
04-30-2006, 06:43 PM
This guy has good athleticism and plays faster than he times. TE's are becoming a major factor in the league now, he's a tough guy and can help.

BB2W
05-19-2006, 11:33 AM
The Steelers got more production out of the tight end position last year than they had in recent years with the emergence of rookie Heath Miller and they are hoping that continues in 2006.

A player who could add to that is fifth-round draft pick Charles Davis from Purdue.

Davis had Davis D78 receptions for 865 yards and four touchdowns while at Purdue. His most productive season was as a junior when he had 34 catches for 416 yards and three touchdowns.

"He has really made some play big plays as a receiver but he has had some blocking experience too and we think he has some potential as a blocker," said tight ends coach James Daniel. "He is a talent. He is someone that you can work with and hopefully he'll be a good player."

Davis knows that the Steelers are a running team. And when the ball does go in the air, the tight end isn't often the most-popular target. That is something that doesn't bother him as he is ready to take on whatever role is asked of him.

"I am excited for a new situation," said Davis. "Just to be able to move on to the next level is a great accomplishment in itself and to be part of a winning program. I am really excited.

"I will do whatever they need. I guess that is the only way I can describe it. I am humble, I am hungry and I am ready to go. I will play special teams if they need it. I will block, I will catch, I will run, I will wash dishes, it doesn't matter."

Davis is used to doing a little bit of everything. While at Purdue he didn't just play football, but spent a year on the basketball team.

"Coming out of high school, I was a pretty big recruit in some of the lower schools like the MAC schools, but in terms of bigger schools to play basketball, I wasn't," said Davis. "So I just went with football because it felt like it was my best bet.

"I was playing with them in the summer and I wasn't even really thinking of playing for them until one of the point guards went to Coach (Gene) Keady and suggested that I come out. He watched me in the summer and offered me a spot."

Davis was a natural for the hardwood court. He played one season under Gene Keady, a former Steelers draft pick as well. He didn't play his senior season, though, because he graduated in December with a degree in organization communications.

For now, though, he wants to do is communicating on the football field. Some have questioned his toughness, while at the same time others heralded his toughness.

"Everybody is entitled to their own opinion," said Davis. "When I get in there and play, I guess you can see the offense that we played and it was more of a finesse style. So you really didn't get to see what I was capable of in terms of a physical nature. When I get in there, I am going to prove I can play just like everybody else.

"I will show you when I get there (if I'm tough). One guy views me as one way, and another guy says this, I don't worry about it. I just go out there and play the best of my ability."

link: http://news.steelers.com/article/63864/

clevestinks
05-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Maybe he is our future number 2 TE!

DIESELMAN
05-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Teresa Varley, of Steelers.com, reports Pittsburgh Steelers rookie TE Charles Davis is looking to make an impact in whatever role is asked of him. "I will do whatever they need. I guess that is the only way I can describe it," Davis said. "I am humble, I am hungry and I am ready to go. I will play special teams if they need it. I will block, I will catch, I will run, I will wash dishes, it doesn't matter."

tony hipchest
05-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Teresa Varley, of Steelers.com, reports Pittsburgh Steelers rookie TE Charles Davis is looking to make an impact in whatever role is asked of him. "I will do whatever they need. I guess that is the only way I can describe it," Davis said. "I am humble, I am hungry and I am ready to go. I will play special teams if they need it. I will block, I will catch, I will run, I will wash dishes, it doesn't matter."

i never heard of him till draft day but im sure the steelers have scouted him sufficiently. i would love to look at him as the next a. gates. but the steelers paid j. tuman pretty good to retain him for this year. this pick could just give the steelers some leverage to cut tuman in a salary cap crunch in the next year or 2. (think of mike schneck, our long snapper being cut last year)

tuman, wilson, duce, and porter (i hope not) may be expendable after next season, saving a good deal of $$$